It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My giant turtle mystery!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Here's a subject for pondering. Please, bear with me as there is a LOT of content to cover, it has been a long journey for me, and I almost don't know where to begin!

I will start with what may be the most interesting part. The turtle...

Now, you probably know of native indian mounds. There are burial mounds, and effigy mounds (animal shapes). If you are unfamiliar, I would look up the Serpent Mound in Ohio. I specifically mention the serpent mound because of it's size. The turtle I have found is much bigger! I actually found it myself! Can't say I've done much of anything significant in my lifetime so this has been pretty darn exciting for me.

This mound is in the shape of a standing turtle. I believe it is supposed to be a snapping turtle which is common in the area. I do not own or live on the land, so the process of finding out more has been long and frustrating.

I have contacted a local university, the archeology dept. They are very interested, but also very busy. So far they have only raised more questions than answers, but I do hope they will be more involved by next summer. One archeologist is doing what he can on the side to research the area until they can do more.

Ultimately, I would love to see this site restored and open for everyone. Most of the natives from here were killed or sent away and I think it is very sad that we lost so much of their beautifully rich culture.

Why would I post about this here? Other than, it's just plain cool... I did not just happen upon this finding. I'm not psychic (I think), but somehow, over years I was led to it. How strange is that? Maybe someday I will understand why. I will try to share some of this journey with you. Not sure how much of it will make sense, but maybe ATS members will have better insight than I do?

Anyhow, I think I'm rambling already. So there you have it. There's a giant turtle. The mystery is why? when? who?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Niecedenise

Any chance of poking your head out and showing us this turtle?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by titzycronulla

I think it would be okay to post a picture if I can figure out how to do that on here? Help?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I guess I should also ask... is it okay to post a picture captured by google satelite? I would want permission from the archaeology dept before posting one of theirs, but I do have google images available.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Niecedenise
I guess I should also ask... is it okay to post a picture captured by google satelite? I would want permission from the archaeology dept before posting one of theirs, but I do have google images available.

People post photos from google satellite all the time, it's fine to do. Your story sounds interesting. How about a little more history of the area...that would be nice.

Des

edit on 11-9-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Id love to see a photo of this turtle ..Id be excited also if i found something like this but id be taking all kinds of pictures..
I would love to see this site restored and open for everyone to view also I'm very interested in different cultures i do hope your able to find out more please keep us posted..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Ok. I will see if I can figure out the picture thing here in a bit. Little busy with the kids right now. There is some great history in the area! Well, in my opinion, but I suppose it might bore others. Hopefully I can find some time to get into that today.

It just occurred to me that every thread I see, people demand pictures or it didn't happen! Well, I can assure you that I have proof. Anyone could find it I suppose if they really wanted to. Not like a UFO that's here one minute and gone the next. So thank you for not tearing apart my thread overnight as I've seen done with others. It's appreciated!

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Hey, I may have figured out how to do this!

But first, I know there are some who might do their detective work to find this location. That's fine. However, please do not post the specific location or address here. I just want to respect the land owner's privacy right now. He is an old farmer, half the crops have failed this year from drought, and it might upset him to have a bunch of people trespassing because this got posted online. Thanks in advance

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Is it just me, or does this look like really bad photoshop work? It doesn't look right in any way to me whatsoever. If it is, someone needs to learn how to use the program a bit more...

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Rubicant13

It might look funny because it's a google maps image and has like stamps on it or something. If I could afford to spend money on things like photo shop, I might, but I wouldn't know where to begin. I guess I should have expected doubters, but if you can manage to find the spot, you can see for yourself

Hopefully, within months or years (I don't know how long these things take), it will be public knowledge anyhow. It's not a huge secret really, and real archaeologists have seen it with real eyeballs, and I have walked on it with real legs and feet and taken pictures from the ground as well. Actually, I got caught trespassing which is how I met the old farmer. Oops! The only reason I'm not throwing the address out for everyone to see is out of respect. I don't want the poor man to be harassed on my account.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Don't take my comment the wrong way - I am not accusing you of photoshopping the picture. It just doesn't look right to me at all. If it's a real formation, based on this picture, I would have to see it for myself.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
There are some spots that are not right due to farming. Most of it is planted, but not all, at least not this year. Part of the "shell" is gone on top from farming, and spots like the line going through the upper right section is like a drainage type thing. Apparently, a mound like this is not so great for farming and needed some extra drainage. The 2 circles, one within the other are both raised up. Seeing it in person I can't imagine how much work it would have been to do that!

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

I can respect that. I'm just not really trying to convince anyone. I just think it's amazing. It will still be there when everyone gets around to seeing it in person

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Just out of curiosity here... If a person were to alter a photo like this, what parts of it would be altered and for what purpose? I don't understand what would be gained by those efforts. Attention? I realize people do that sort of thing, but I don't see what the benefits are?

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   

How and when did you conclude this site was in the shape of a turtle ?

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I did not see a turtle shape right away. It took time for me to see it.

Okay, I'm gonna give some background story here. On how I became aware of this place, and maybe I can share some of the land's history later.

Growing up, we moved a lot. My mother has been married and divorced 5 times. I am the oldest of 5 children. From as far back as I can remember, I have had some extreme paranormal experiences. I was pretty much put off by the subject at a young age. If your parent won't discuss it with you what are you supposed to think? So I spent years being afraid of something I wasn't even supposed to talk about.

There was one home that holds the most memories as we lived there longer than anywhere else, 5 whole years! This home happened to be about as close as you can live near the site of this mound. We did not know anything about it. No one did as far as I am aware. It's surrounded by trees, fields, and then gravel road. You cannot see it from any residence, but now that I know what is there I can see a bit of it from the road. Funny how we went by it every day without knowing. I live in another rural town now about 45 minutes away.

The home we lived in there, out of all the places we lived, is the ONLY place I have ever been that I would actually call haunted. Not to sound mean, but I think MOST hauntings are really just people being afraid of bumps in the night.

This home had activity day and night whether we were alone or had guests. I don't believe that true hauntings are picky and only come out at night. At least ours didn't. In fact, the last 2 years we were living there we had the house up for sale. I remember a lot of people coming through to look at it, but most of them were more interested in the hauntings and were not serious about buying the home. We never ended up selling. It ended in divorce #4 and my mom moved out with us kids. My ex-stepdad's friend moved in with him, and is now the current owner. Nice guy, but he was always too drunk to care what was going on around him. I guess maybe that works out for him.

Getting off track... there are a few other homes in the area that are also said to be very haunted. There are and have been sightings by people here for long before my time, so I've been told by friends of my grandparents. I've witnessed these as well.

Our "next door" across-the-field neighbor found human remains while moving dirt to put in his foundation. He did NOT report this because he didn't want to disrupt his process. Since that place is now abandoned, I have actually reported it to the university as well. Basically, they want to get everything they can from the area. They were out there in the 60's, but did not get it all covered apparently. I just think those bodies should be placed back where they belong out of respect.

The greater area is littered with known burial mounds. In fact, hint hint, there is one well known to most locals and open to the public very near the turtle.

So, years go by and many many paranormal experiences have led me to believe that something was there. Like something big, in that area. My husband thought I was crazy, and so did I, which is why I did not say anything to anyone else for a long time. I just had to keep going back. It's the only place in the world that feels like home to me. I don't mean the house I lived in, but the area. I have always felt drawn to it. Maybe it's only sentimental, but I felt like there was more.

One night I was looking at real estate online. I opened a map to look at it, and I could not help but click and drag all the way up to my old home. It gave me chills. I just HAD to keep looking at it! I did not see anything, but just looked.

Later I had to google it just to see it again. I thought I was losing my mind, but I felt compelled to do this every day for a week or so. Until one day, I noticed something odd. I saw circles. Could not make sense of it, but it seemed like that was what I was looking for. After 2 days, I realized it looked like a turtle, and then I had a pretty good idea what it was.

Since then, I've done lots of research. It's been more than a year, but I finally contacted the archaeology department several months ago. I went out there a few times to see it on the ground. Got caught once, which was embarrassing, but that's what I get I suppose. All I took was pictures, so no harm done right?

So that's how I found it. If I can find time between dinner, soccer, scouts and bath time.. I would love to share some of the history with you

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I may be understanding you wrong, but are you saying no one knew this turtle was there until you found it and told the university? How can that be?

Don't get me wrong - I am not trying to discredit you! I fully believe you and see no reason at all to lie. I'm just wondering how no one in a helicopter hasn't seen this and reported it or SOMETHING.

Would love to hear the history about the area. I hope the university does decide to do some digging. If they do, be sure to update the thread with details! I'd love to hear about it.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by tport17

Great question, and really I don't know! I have asked the same thing, as well as everyone I know.

Best guess.. the only real air traffic that may fly over would be crop dusters. I happen to know "the" crop duster for the area. He's been doing it for years and just never noticed. Other than that, it's just too big to tell what it is from the ground. I've walked on it, and can only say that you might notice the circles, but that's it.

Seriously full schedule for the rest of today thru the weekend, but I need to make time to get you some history. Maybe I can even find a good link for those who are really interested enough to do some heavy reading.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Just reading my post, it sounds a little snobby. I'm not saying that I know every important person/pilot in the area. What I mean is that this place is quite rural and everyone knows everyone else for the most part. Grew up around his family
Not trying to make wild claims.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Oh, I figured it was a small town, not that you wee snobby at all!

Take your time on the history. I'm in no hurry! I've subscribed to check in every now and then and look for updates.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join