It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians help me debunk these non sense atheistic beliefs about Genesis please

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by AQuestion

I've been saying more and more that it isn't where it comes from, but what it is. The author doesn't matter, so much as the philosophy involved.

On that, I think we can find some common ground, yes?

Dear AfterInfinity,

We have common ground and you have identified it. If we argue beliefs then it should be about the beliefs; but, we must be clear and upfront about our presumptions. I am a Christian, what that means is not what others necessarily assume; but, at a minimum it means that I believe there is a God and that he interacts with people on occasion. If you are an atheist then can we agree that there is no "source" or "force" or "eternal soul"? What can we start our conversations agreeing on? If we agree on the basics, we can get into the real meat of the matter and that would have value to some. Peace.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   
"Christians help me debunk these non sense atheistic beliefs about Genesis please"
Don't worry too much, you don't need to debunk anything, since atheists have absolutely no beliefs about this

I'd add that most of them (including me) stop reading when they see a wall of text full of bible quotes.

Btw, it's still fun to see christians to use a book that had been edited several times to fix some "too big" incoherences and to fit with people's morale as proof...

Btw, you shouldn't waste your time trying to defend some non-sense fairy tales... You won't convince anyone anyway... Life is short, and your time should be considered as "too precious"... Enjoy your life, and live it for yourself, not for your god... (if he'd existed, i'm sure he 'd agree with me on this one)

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

As an atheist that use to be christian i think genesis is to be taken very very litterally.I believe the abrahamic god is/was real and had chosen Israel as his people.But like a story that has been repeatedly told,some stuff was added to glorify this god and some stuff was forgotten.That doesnt mean it didnt happen.I see the bible as a translation of a translation of a translation of events that took place predating the people of israel...Think good'ol Sumer..or even earlier.The trick is to realize that no one is fundamentally wrong.Not the christians or muslims or jews or any other deity(ies) based religions,not even the evolutionists as i believe there was evolution before creation(of mankind that is).A topic of his own on the way...My two cents if it makes sense to anyone

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
If a person believes in Genesis then they have to believe the human race is nothing but a bunch of inbreeds. Families that keep breeding in their family circle isn't a good idea. Just like Cain and Abel marrying their sisters.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ExNihilo

It's people like you that make me really REALLY glad to be an atheist.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by visualmiscreant

And why do we have a "New Testament"? Maybe because God was a cruel arsehole in the first edition and you good christians had to tone him done a bit and make him more, God like. A little more "likeable" with out the fear of being smitten because of your beliefs... I will also add. Simply prove God exist's. Maybe a address? Facebookpage? Cell number? Sarcasm, gotta love that sarcasm.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by rwfresh

Degree!, you can Get your PHd in Biblical Wrongology at most Universities. They call the course "Philosophy" to keep away the Westbro Baptist Church protestors

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by tinfoilman

For thousands of years it was read metaphorically and allegorically. Everything was a symbol for something.

Exactly. What we atheists don't get is why Christians can't see that the whole thing is metaphors and allegories. Why give Jesus and his alleged resurrection special status?

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by ExNihilo

God is real.

Prove it....

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by wildapache

As an atheist that use to be christian i think genesis is to be taken very very litterally.I believe the abrahamic god is/was real and had chosen Israel as his people.

My sarcasm detector must be off.

You're an atheist who believes Yahveh is real?

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiracyNut23
reply to post by wildapache

As an atheist that use to be christian i think genesis is to be taken very very litterally.I believe the abrahamic god is/was real and had chosen Israel as his people.

My sarcasm detector must be off.

You're an atheist who believes Yahveh is real?

Oh Lord, what did i started.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   

I'm sure you knew in advance the comments that would be made in this thread before you hit Enter.

Could be wrong, but in my experience on this site, threads like this serve one purpose, and one only. To divide.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

I believe you've started a thread. Did you noticed tinfoilman's post here.

I believe s/he has successfully debunked some of your OP's claim.
edit on 8/9/12 by ConspiracyNut23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
If a person believes in Genesis then they have to believe the human race is nothing but a bunch of inbreeds. Families that keep breeding in their family circle isn't a good idea. Just like Cain and Abel marrying their sisters.

Yes if we look at the blood types and see how many there are and wot not it is all to plain
to see that incest was rife in them times and the old saying goes- keep it in the family.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

God creates light and separates light from darkness, and day from night, on the first day. Yet he didn't make the light producing objects (the sun and the stars) until the fourth day (1:14-19). 1:3-5

Written and oral Torah declares that there was a primeval light (celestial light) during the first three days of creation. Our sun (star) was placed in the Firmament within the forth day of creation. As the sun was placed in our firmament the primeval light was reduced to the point that the sun became the life source of the earth. The herbs , trees, grass etc were brought forth on the third day under the primeval light. The reason was so that the creation would not credit the sun as being the life force but that the life force is always the Lord God.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He made the stars also." God spends a day making light (before making the stars) and separating light from darkness; then, at the end of a hard day's work, and almost as an afterthought, he makes the trillions of stars. 1:16

I don't think you comprehend what you read or you have a different bible than the Torah. Torah does not say that God spends a day making light before making stars and He did not make the billions of stars just for light upon this earth. You chose to infer your own thoughts from one verse which is not in context with the preceding verses. In other words the Torah is not written in chapter and verse format. It is written by complete thought of subject matter.

The entire sixth day of producing is a complete thought of that day.

Gen 1:14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
Gen 1:15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.
Gen 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.
Gen 1:17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,
Gen 1:18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.

The entire subject of the sixth day was to establish time (our moon and sun) as well as give light upon this earth. Our sun is a star and that is the reason it was pronounced as "He made the stars also", meaning that there are other stars in the firmament also. Along with oral Torah it is very clear and does agree with true science.

-----------------------------------------------------------
[
quote]
TextAll animals were originally herbivores. Tapeworms, vampire bats, mosquitoes, and barracudas -- all were strict vegetarians, as they were created by God. But, of course, we now know that there were carnivorous animals millions of years before humans existed. 1:30

How in the world could any educated person state this as a fact.? " we now know that there were carnivorous animals millions of years before humans existed. 1:30 " -- That is such a ignorant and untrue statement. I cannot believe that you actually believe that. That may be what you believe but no reasonable mind could ever state that as a fact.

Your own words were in part " (Although he was tempted to go for the sheep.) " --
As I read this I then decided to go no further in a decent conversation with one who is simply an angry and ignoramus as well as an indecent and mentally impoverished imbecile such as you appear to be.

I hope your life turns around because you certainly have a very troubled mind. Get a life.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seede

TextAll animals were originally herbivores. Tapeworms, vampire bats, mosquitoes, and barracudas -- all were strict vegetarians, as they were created by God. But, of course, we now know that there were carnivorous animals millions of years before humans existed. 1:30

Star to you as you beat me to it ...

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Self deceptiveness is a powerful smokescreen that hides the true beauty to behold.
edit on 8-9-2012 by ExNihilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Self deceptiveness is a powerful smokescreen that hides the true beauty to behold.
edit on 8-9-2012 by ExNihilo because: (no reason given)

Meaning?

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

God creates light

STOP! How did god create light?
Did he wave a magic wand?

Where did he get the photons from? Batteries connected to a flashlight?

It's easy to say, god did this and god did that, but you religious peoples never ask HOW he did it.

All the matter in the universe (gases, dust, the elements), where did god get this stuff? Did he yell out, ABRACADABRA and BOOGEDY-BOO!

THINK about it!

edit on 9/8/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by visualmiscreant

This reply will perhaps cause me problems with fellow Christians, but this is my take...

Nowhere in the New Testament, nor out of Jesus' mouth am I commanded or obliged to defend The Old Testament.
My task is to spread the good news of The New Testament. Perhaps you should ask those of Jewish Faith...

We are jews man. What is found in the OT can be found in the NT and vice versa, the people calling themselves jews today are the decendants of the apostates who rejected the Messiah, the Holy One of Israel. Defending the God of the OT is the same as defending Jesus because that is who he is.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join