It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mitt Romney Accidentally Confronts A Gay Veteran; Awesomeness Ensues

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+62 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
This is great. Mitt gets asked about same-sex marriage and basic rights for married couples. Mitt, of course, thinking that there can't possibly be an old rugged army vet who's gay, enthusiastically and proudly throws down what he probably thought was a slam dunk only to find out that he happily told the guy he didn't want him to be treated with equality. Hilarious.

Check out this video

Back in December 2011 during a campaign stop in New Hampshire, Mitt Romney decided to drop by Vietnam War veteran Bob Garon's breakfast table for a quick photo-op. What Romney didn't realize is that Garon was sitting with his husband, whom he had married just a few months earlier. What followed might be the single greatest "oblivious Romney" moment of the entire campaign. Enjoy.

edit on 5-9-2012 by Cuervo because: Added Youtube

+45 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

So should Mitt have said he supported gay marriage to appease this guy? I applaud any politician that is consistent, and doesn't just tell people what they want to hear.

+39 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
That vet is great.

We have the same debate going on in Australia and those against same sex marriage all spout the same rubbish over and over i.e. "Marriage is between a man and a woman". That's the only justification they ever come up with and it is the most flimsy BS justification I can think of.

I hope you guys can keep Mitt out of the White House

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Could someone please link the youtube clip in that blog? It says youtube but my smartphone just isnt smart enough to play it on that blog, you would think a youtube video would play on any website like they play on youtube but my phone doesn't agree with that lol.

Thanks in advance and just an fyi if you embedded it I wont see it :/ mobile ATS thing

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   

FLIP
FLOP
edit on 5-9-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   

+45 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by IsThisThingBugged
reply to post by Cuervo

So should Mitt have said he supported gay marriage to appease this guy? I applaud any politician that is consistent, and doesn't just tell people what they want to hear.

First of all, taking away rights from veterans cannot be justified. Citing a dogmatic godling as a basis for evil is no justification and is really not up for debate. I have no respect for "consistency" if it is a consistent violation of civil rights.

Secondly, he obviously thought he was preaching to the choir at first and was very smug about it. The gradual change in the conversation is what's so priceless.

So yes, this is hilarious and you know it.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

I hate Mitt Romney but he actually handled himself very well, hardly a "gotcha" like the OP suggested

+39 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Mitt Romney is against equal civil rights, he's hateful and bigoted. This really shouldn't surprise anyone, his religion teaches that black people and native americans were cursed with dark skin because of their sins. It also teaches that homosexuality is a product of evil.

+8 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iron7
reply to post by Cuervo

I hate Mitt Romney but he actually handled himself very well, hardly a "gotcha" like the OP suggested

He handled himself as he always does when confronted with his own flaws; with his customary sociopath flare that has become the Mitt trademark.

When he said corporations are people and was booed, he did the same thing. Instead of it phasing him or even acknowledging disapproval, he actually turns up his serial killer charm. Amazing.

+10 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by aaron2209
That vet is great.

We have the same debate going on in Australia and those against same sex marriage all spout the same rubbish over and over i.e. "Marriage is between a man and a woman". That's the only justification they ever come up with and it is the most flimsy BS justification I can think of.

I hope you guys can keep Mitt out of the White House

For some Mormons it is between a Man and a Woman and a Woman and a Woman and a Woman and....

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by IsThisThingBugged

No...it is good that he told the truth.

Because the issue isn't about what people want to hear but how people want to live.

They want to have equality regardless of their choice of lifestyle...and if a person serves their country in the name of freedom and liberty...then they definitely should have freedom and liberty in their personal lives, both while in the military and afterward.

The man in the video expressed it perfectly: what's the difference?

AND ALSO, now that there is no more 'don't ask-don't tell' oppression...a lot more veterans and active servicemen and -women have the freedom to be honest about their personal lives (if they want...at the very least, they can write down who they want to for 'emergency contact' or 'next of kin') without jeopardizing their military careers.

Would Romney also want to re-enact that unfair law?

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

That is, by far, the best Mitt-icism I've heard...so far!

Because I'm fairly confident that there will be more...oh yes...there will be more.

link   
See he wants to go the way of Obama just because he will entertain the idea, bet Obama will say no once he gets in though. Wasn't Ron Paul for gay marriage? Is the 3rd party option not for this as well?

Australia is having the same issues now and I have to take the Ron Paul stance that yes let it happen but gay people can't force it on others to have to like it though and as long as they don't try and change the church to recognise them and want their cerimonies at a church and use celebrates there shouldn't be a problem.

As for that vid as someone said before hardly a gotcha moment he got his answer and so did everyone else that watches it.
edit on 5-9-2012 by vkturbo because: (no reason given)

link   

link   
reply to post by Cuervo

How exactly is marriage a "right"? It is not mentioned as a right in ANY of our founding documents and is not as recognized natural right.

If marriage between two men is a right, is polygamy also a right? If your state wants to allow for gay marriage thats fine, go for it. But lets not rewrite history and pretend like marriage appears ANYWHERE as a right in any of our countries documents...

If people want gay marriage, then vote for it. Otherwise imposing it on the nation is no better than any other tyrannical act.
edit on 5-9-2012 by IsThisThingBugged because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Reply to post by aaron2209

Thanks for the link. mitt says he served his church as if it was equally as honorable as serving his country lol. Atleast thats how I interpreted it.

I bet mitt thought that vet was anti gay for asking those questions that way, then he was ready to leave fast when he thought wrong lol. I would vote for that vet before id vote for mitt.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by IsThisThingBugged

It is not mentioned as a right in ANY of our founding documents and is not as recognized natural right.

"The Equal Protection Clause, part of the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, provides that "no state shall ... deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws"

en.wikipedia.org...

The Constitution is a living document.....

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246
POST REMOVED BY STAFF

Straight people get "gaids", too. So... is AIDs your issue? So if a straight soldier contracted AIDs from his wife, he should get a WalMart wedding too? Just trying to see how deep your bigotry is running here or if you just have a thing against sick people, in general.
edit on Thu Sep 6 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join