It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A new country in North America? What do Canadians and Americans make of this?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
PQ will win ? lol ah be damn !
i live in Quebec i know Harper and Charest runs the show like Obama .. always riggued
they tried that 20 yrs ago and it was 51% no and 49% yes
Jacque Parizeau was then defeated

if we separate then SO BE IT

We French Canadian are fed up of the lies .. we have patience but to a certain limit

Montreal Martial Law Bill 78 Passes - Backlash was Immediate; Massive Civil Disobedience

no more federal taxes only provincial .. sounds good to me

and nobody will steal our ressources anymore and try to pollute our waters

no more part of the queen empire since who took over after defeating the new france
Quebec is the oldest outpost in North America .. been here for 400 yrs
now its time we make our own galactic empire

a peacefull one no more police state with the law 78
the only law will be peace and love

im happy to have learn that here that PQ have high chance to win independance
they have shut down Canoe provincial website .. that never happen
but its pure crap way more then CNN
edit on 9/2/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Quebec aint goin nowhere......they are owned by Bay Street (toronto)
They are the texas of canada....always bitching and threatening sucession....

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
seems like a good a means as any to breakup and then unite Canada under the North American Union once the need be...

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I'd move to Quebec if they seperated.... It's already (politically) the best area in North America... I couldn't resist moving there if they became their own country...

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by ExNihilo
Although i strongly hope that Québec becomes an independent country based on the fact that we share nothing with Canadians( different language, culture, music, literature, folklore, history etc...) other than the occidental model of society and globalization, this thread is not about arguing if Québec should separate or not but what would the implications be if it did?

Quebec is like Ontario except they turn their intersection lights on their side. As far as culture, literature, folklore and history it is not really diverse or original to merit its own country. In a time with so much stupidity and division in the world to as to divide a country based on weak history, different language, music is ridiculous and very baseless.

I have lived in Quebec, its no different than any other place. People work, homeless people, coffee bars, music ( mainly english btw) drinkers, smokers, drivers, families just like anywhere else. Get real and understand that the referendum will fail every time you backwards buffoons. Dividing countries and peoples for political and monetary gain is moronic.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Of all the shocking things I've seen on ATS, Masqua, your avatar is it. Holy crp, I think you might just be itching to start a native rebellion!

On topic, control of the Seaway was foreseen by the Americans when it was built. See the Seaway agreement about International waters. Quebec may try some tactics, but the US won't put up with it.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow Herder

Although i strongly hope that Québec becomes an independent country based on the fact that we share nothing with Canadians( different language, culture, music, literature, folklore, history etc...) other than the occidental model of society and globalization, this thread is not about arguing if Québec should separate or not but what would the implications be if it did?

Quebec is like Ontario except they turn their intersection lights on their side. As far as culture, literature, folklore and history it is not really diverse or original to merit its own country. In a time with so much stupidity and division in the world to as to divide a country based on weak history, different language, music is ridiculous and very baseless.

I have lived in Quebec, its no different than any other place. People work, homeless people, coffee bars, music ( mainly english btw) drinkers, smokers, drivers, families just like anywhere else. Get real and understand that the referendum will fail every time you backwards buffoons. Dividing countries and peoples for political and monetary gain is moronic.

Who the # are you to decide what is "original" enough to merit its own country? Quebec is a distinct nation from the rest of Canada and the government as already acknowledged this fact.

Like it or not, Québec has nothing to do in Canada.

And like your beloved conservative Prime minister Mr. Harper said :

"That this House recognize that the Québécois form a nation within a united Canada."
"Que cette Chambre reconnaisse que les Québécoises et les Québécois forment une nation au sein d'un Canada uni."

And do not tell us we won't be able to survive without Canada, we existed before Canada.
edit on 2-9-2012 by ExNihilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
reply to post by aboutface

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ExNihilo

"Would the U.S.A take advantage of such a situation and buy-off Provinces to make them american states?"

With what? This govt I and the rest of the thinking country have rammed up our noses would probably *mug* you guys for the provinces. Especially if there's minerals, oil, resources....

I'm sorry. My govt is slime, and I cannot change it by myself, but I can insult it and apologize for it's actions, which do nott reflect the actions of most of the people who gotta live here.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
"The Quebec-American relation would surely have effects on the Canadian-American bilateral cooperation and commerce. Would Canada boycott Québec? Would this separation destroy Canada and fragment it in a bunch different states? Would the U.S.A take advantage of such a situation and buy-off Provinces to make them american states?

Québec is the biggest province by area
Second most populous province
2nd rank GDP
richest province in natural resources.

Basically, would a Québec separation be the beginning of the Canadian downfall? How could Canada remain a country if divided by the huge territory that is Québec?"

Now all of the following is coming from a Canadian that has many family members and friends scattered all over in Québec... it isn't the majority of the population in Québec that wants independence, it is the PQ party. Next, none of the Canadian provinces would join the states unless they were annexed via a military campaign. Finally, even if Québec seceded from the Dominion of Canada, and became its own independent state, they wouldn't be that large.. they would have all of the land that they control along the St.Lawrence river and seaway, and that's about it. Canada would still control 75% of Québec (the north), because that is all native territory, not PQ.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Thanks to the Quebec bashing and all the hatred coming from the rest of Canada the separatist movement is growing even in Montréal. It is not only about culture, even on societal issues most people in Québec are against death penalty, pro abortion, pro gay marriage and left wing policies. It just does not make any sense to stay in a country that shares almost nothing with us. Also why would France need to recolonize Québec? We are 8 million people, we will do just fine with immigration.

There's a huge difference between bashing Quebec and bashing seperatists.

Any time I've spent in Quebec has been positive because I am inclined to be part of a large gathering near Maniwaki. You may have heard of the Circle of All Nations. Regardless, the mixture of Cree, Metis, Francophone and 'whatever' had the singular purpose of learning how to 'get along'... something seperatists can't seem to get a secure handle on.

As for that list of left wing policies... rural Alberta might be ruling in Ottawa right now, but watch out for other very popular young Quebec federalists coming down the pipe. You might know the one who got in the ring recently.

edit on 2/9/12 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   

What goes around comes around and sovereignty association is within that bailiwick. Quebecers do not want separation, they want divorce with bed privileges. Federal equalization payments, last year, were $14 billion and Quebec got $8 billion and whined that they did not get their share. Just ask a Quebecer is they are willing to assume their share of the federal debt, if they should separate. Not a chance. If Quebec were truly separate, meaning another country, they could not last, if for no other reasons, they are used to life of the federal teat and they are crybabies. Quebec would end up as part of the USA, with English the primary language. The outcome of the election is really of no consequence because there are much bigger fish to fry, on the horizon, than Quebec separation.
It is obvious that Charest called the election before TSHTF with the construction scandal, with it's deep provincial government involvement. Still, Charest is pouting that a cartoon expressing that simple fact "Was in poor taste". What a hypocrit but then again, you don't get into politics without Hypocrisy 101, as a prerequisite. Will someone get Jean a soother and change his diaper?

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Although i strongly hope that Québec becomes an independent country based on the fact that we share nothing with Canadians

You're forgetting about NAFTA, which is pretty much includes every single resource in Canada. And that means oil too. Not to mention economy, banking, real estate, scientific research, medical research, business ventures and all other corporate revenue streams.

Would this separation destroy Canada and fragment it in a bunch different states?

It would destroy Quebec if they separated. They would have to print a new currency and need to build their credit rating. Forming a new country in the 21st century in the middle of two super powers would be an arduous task. Additionally, most of Quebec is on Native land, there goes 1/3 of the province (arbitrary number). Don't forget, Quebec had two referendums, 1980 & 95 and twice they were shot down.

Would the U.S.A take advantage of such a situation

Sadly, probably

and buy-off Provinces to make them american states?

Never in a million years would we sell our provinces

Québec is the biggest province by area Second most populous province 2nd rank GDP richest province in natural resources.

I wouldn't say they are the richest in resources. British Columbia probably takes the lead but you really can't discriminate seeing each province has their own particular resource. From potash to fishing. It's only as a country where we can all increase the GDP.

Basically, would a Québec separation be the beginning of the Canadian downfall? How could Canada remain a country if divided by the huge territory that is Québec?

Oh don't worry about us. We'd be fine. It's Quebec you have to worry about. And the chances of them joining the states are next to none. That would contradict the entire separatist's movement.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Studying my French Canadian heritage, I certainly understand why they would want to separate. I wish them well. We will all survive.

Somehow though, I don't think it would all go smoothly. Wasn't there military on standby last time they almost voted for separation?

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
It's been tried before and surprisingly, didn't work.

I don't see it ever happening.

But, strange things have happened throughout history!

I can say that Quebec and VT (along with NY) are cooperating at least where Lake Champlain is concerned. We get good business from Quebec tourists (along with bad tipping and cheapskates...can't control that) and I believe we'd benefit a lot if Quebec were to separate.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
A poll from last week showed only 28% of Quebec was interested in independence. Seems like a dead issue to me.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

If you do some research, you'll realize that it's also made here in the U.S.

Then again, what does this have to do with the topic?

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Who's going to flip the bill for that 100, 000, 000?

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
Quebec takes everything and gives nothing but arrogance, ego and a holier than thou attitude. What's your contribution to Canada...Poutine?

Smart move to be surrounded by another Country on all sides that you insult at every turn.

Now we can take down all those dual language signs, get rid of "press 1 for English, 2 for French" recordings and finally charge YOU for crossing our borders with toll booths.

Good riddance.

Only problem I see is that Canada won't allow it and that's the final word. You are not everything you think you are. Your taxes will rise, tariffs for imports from every province will increase and a lot of your exports will be boycotted by true Canadians.

Fun times ahead.

Peace
edit on 2-9-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

Exactly! Starred. But letting them go would only mean eventually they could become part of the states when they realize it wasn't such a good idea. And that would be baaaaaad.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join