It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Empaths and thier "powers" fiction or reality?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Ok, so i'm doing some research on 'empaths', people with the supposed ability to read peoples emotions, and to some have the ability to manilpulate others emotions. Just to clarify im not relying on ATS for info, i'd just like to hear the other side of it along with other opinions.

On one website I read that empaths are said to feel others emotions and interpret them. Then on another sight I read about, empathic manipulation. According to the source, this is when an empath manipulates either their emotions or someone else' and can use it as power, it also said that its very dangerous. To me personally this sounds a bit far fetched. However as I said i'd like to hear both sides. I've seen some "evidence" on youtube but it's as you might guess, inconclusive. Its usually some kid in a video game shirt scrunching his face like he's constipated. I mean no offense.

Are there any 'empaths' here on ats? If so what can you tell me? If not id like to hear your side too.
Thank, your time is much appreciated.

If I can find the links ill post them here.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnCreed777

I'll bite...

I have a small bit of empathic ability, but not to the extent described in your OP.

Ive never heard of emotional manipulation being an availability though.

Mike

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by PsyMike91

I'm with you, Mike, never heard of special powers.

I just feel others emotions, even animals, as if it's mine.

Just way too emotional, have to close myself off from people.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
There's been a couple of different names given to this ... Highly Sensitive people, indigo children etc etc. There definitely are some people that feel more than others (my opinion) but directly effecting others, i doubt it or you'd definitely have someone on youtube by now

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Mostly, i can tell you

that people with empathic ability are more likely to wake up in a funk rather than other people.

There are empaths that can not be around crowds for too long, as they begin to "explode", so to say, with emotion and cannot handle it. Many doctors like to say that they are just anxiety ridden or have a serious depression problem.

I can also tell you that being an empath is not just fiction. It is very real, and other people have different psychic abilities as well. Empathy is probably the best one though if you can learn to control your emotions accordingly.

Usually, when on a "Ghost Hunt", as i like to call it at least. I can tell specifics as to what emotions were being held in what room. I can NOT give what had exactly happened, nor would i want know.

Anyone has the power to unlock any one of these gifts, but it takes time and you have to believe in God. You also have to ask yourself if the burden is worth the reward or not. A lot of times I feel overwhelmed with just a few people in the room and begin to copy their emotions...

For instance, if someone is extremely pissed for some reason or another, I begin to feel myself getting angry also, but the problem is...that you have no idea why you feel this way and begin to ask yourself whom among the people you are with are feeling this?

Ive learned to ignore it though, kind of like most of the people in the world lol,

Any other questions or refutes that you are harboring and would like to get off of your chest?
Mike

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I am not sure of affecting others but I know first hand about being an empath..... dramatic emotional waves are felt, as if our aura is chameleon and whatever aura connects with ours becomes our own.

link   

Originally posted by timetothink

I'm with you, Mike, never heard of special powers.

I just feel others emotions, even animals, as if it's mine.

Just way too emotional, have to close myself off from people.

This is definitely the most basic explanation of empathy.

A feeling of having to escape from other's emotions. You don't even know where they resonate from.

Mike

link   
I can usually tell when something is bothering someone even when they are trying to hide it. I can't tell what it is though. Sorry that I can't help you at all on this.
edit on 30-8-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scaledown
There's been a couple of different names given to this ... Highly Sensitive people, indigo children etc etc. There definitely are some people that feel more than others (my opinion) but directly effecting others, i doubt it or you'd definitely have someone on youtube by now

The people that have these gifts though, are not using them for fame or idolatry.

Mostly, they have no idea what to do with them, and why they were blessed with these abilities.

Mike

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by blu3nowh3r3

this is because, what you feel begins to become copied, because your mind does not know what to do with that emotion. the mind is basically filling in the blanks.

SEKONZ
Mike
edit on 30-8-2012 by PsyMike91 because: typo

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Not sure what will qualify. All through my life people would call me overly sensitive. And I was extremely so. In a family undergoing problems and many changes over the years it was difficult for me to process all the information I was taking in like a sponge. The feeling you get when you walk into a room and you can TELL something is afoot without anyone saying a word. For me sometimes I sense before I enter. Eventually I looked into this and discovered it is called Empathy. It seemed to make sense as to what I had been going through all those years. Tho, please let me say right here, I do NOT subscribe to soothsaying types of sites and ideas about it. This is another sense to me just like my sense of touch, taste and hearing. To me it is NOT an EXTRA sensory perception, it is merely my ability to sense these energies coming from people and yes I can project mine.

Before I actually looked into Empathic senses, I had a rather strange situation at work. Working for a publishing company I did the ads for a sales crew who were very vocal about getting their work to the top of the out box, even if they are the LAST in line. One female sales rep. was being extremely pushy and shoved an attitude a me, so... I did her ad, and printed the proof...quietly walked to her cubicle and "gently" oh so carefully laid it down, turned and walked quietly back to my desk in the next room. Tho WHILE I was setting that proof down, I imagined putting it down so hard and fast it blew her hair back. I got halfway to my desk and she literally yelled at me, "YOU DON'T have to SLAM things around!" Everyone in the room knew and saw I'd done no such thing and all exchanged puzzled looks. I simply continued to my desk, very amazed inside..... Is this what you mean?

This is one of many of my experiences.
edit on 30-8-2012 by Opportunia because: clarification

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I can sense emotions (or what I like to call, vibes) in people and animals. To the point that it can become detrimental to my ability to function, if I'm not careful to differentiate between my feelings and someone else's. Any venture out of my home requires me to put up a sort of emotional wall, to keep out the stuff I don't want to experience.

As far as empathic manipulation, I think that what lies at the heart of that is simple social psychology. If I sense that some one is angry, I'll become more soothing, thus assisting in calming them down. That's no kooky power, it's just a common sense reaction to another person, in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
If you ever felt someone else's pain, really felt it, when they hit their thumb with a hammer or felt their emotional pain at a bereavement or things of that nature - that is being an empath. I reckon most young children start out as empaths but as they get older, as with many things, many learn to block it out except for the occasional exceptional occurrence and others just grow up with it as part of themselves that they don't realise as being a particular ability. I think this empath thing is just where we pick up what others are feeling via the unconscious connection we all have - young children are naturally attuned to it - I don't think that there is anything particularly special about it. It becomes more noticeable if we feel a particular event - such as someone's physical pain when they hurt themselves - but we're probably picking up on low-level stuff all the time without really realising it. Well, that is just my thoughts on it anyway, for what it's worth.

peace
J

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

This should do it...essentially sums up everything said in the posts here.

Empathy is a feeling of another's true emotions to a point where an empath can relate to that person by sensing true feelings that run deeper than those portrayed on the surface. People commonly put on a show of expression. This is a learned trait of hiding authentic expression in an increasingly demanding society. An empath can sense the truth behind the cover and will act compassionately to help that person express him/herself, thus making them feel at ease and not so desperately alone. Empaths experience empathy towards family, children, friends, close associates, complete strangers, pets, plants and inanimate objects. Empathy is not held by time or space. Thus, an empath can feel the emotions of people and things at a distance. Some are empathic towards animals (ie: The Horse Whisperer), to nature, to the planetary system, to mechanical devices or to buildings etc. Others will have a combination of the above.

healing.about.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">healing.about.com...

www.mysticfamiliar.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">www.mysticfamiliar.com... _shamanic_viewpoint.htm

Follow links on right hand side as i do not know what happened

Mike

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by blu3nowh3r3

Very good description of what it feels like.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
loving all the positive replies to this thread

happy to not feel so alone in the moment.!!

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Empaths do not have "special powers". Empaths have an ability to feel emotions. The manipulation comes in when they are able to read said emotions, and act in a way to get the desired response out of the person they are reading the emotions from.

Empaths are also often able to control the emotional energy they are putting forth, which can often change the energy of those that are around them.

Empaths are also often very in tune with animals. Many of the "animal whisperers" that you hear about are actually empaths. They do not have a power that allows them to communicate to the animals. They have the empathic ability to read the emotions of the animal, and to outwardly focus their energy in a way as to connect with the emotion of said animal.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Depression...check
Anxiety(especially social)....check
Feeling like I'm going to go crazy...check

Suffered severe low self esteem in school...I think it was feeling all the emotion around me made me paranoid?

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I have been an empath all my life, and didn't know about it until recently 2 years ago when I started researching about my issue of feeling anxious and depressed for no reason when I'm in the crowd or watching TV. I can't watch TV especially movies with horror themes, if they get hurt I feel it and turn it off. Like today in the morning, I was watching this movie "Thirst" where these couples go to a desert and wreck their car and end up having little water so survive and 2 of them die and etc. So 15 minutes to the end of the movie the guy tries to cut himself with a razor blade so the girlfriend can drink the blood to survive and watching that scene made my body go weak from head to toe and the pain that I felt in my throat, same place he cut himself. When a guy is being chased in the movie by the bad guy, I can feel his anxiety and terror.

My heart starts beating fast and I get all anxious. I could be walking down the street and looking at certain people and feel like crying, cause i know they are not so happy with life. I have an overall love and compassion for people and animals. I know when my close ones are in pain and hurting, that is connected to my clairvoyance. I feel pain in my heart, and I see them in front of my eyes and end up calling them to find out she is in a lot of pain from a bad break up. Overall, it sucks! I hate it. I learned to work with it and not keep myself so open because I'm an energy sponge. I learned how to shield myself when I go out.

Yes, you can "manipulate" your and other peoples emotions even though that is not what I want to call it. I had my share of experience involuntarily giving my good energy and getting the bad energy from a girl that I met when she suddenly told me how peaceful she feels all of a sudden and i realized how my mood was going down and feeling anxiety in my solar plexus. Now what I do, is when my loved ones are feeling down I draw their energy into me and recycle down into the earth. These days, I'm doing a lot better once you see the bigger picture you learn how to work with the brush.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I wouldn't say I feel emotions exactly

I would say I feel/read energies.

I didn't know how much it affected me until I moved away from people on a couple acres in the desert.

I don't do anything to increase it. It just is and always has been.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join