It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sad Popular View of Athiests and Athieism From MY Experiences

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
In my experiences of high school, I have noticed that many people just flat out discriminate against Athiests. This doesn't neccisarily apply to Christians only but they are a majority that do it. I think it's sad that atheists are punished at times and teased at my schools by people I call friends because they use their minds. I am not an athiest neccisarily but I would like for a push like how people have pushed an end to homophobia, because the treatment I'VE experienced people do to Athiests that are open about it to be ridiculous.

This might be more of a rant, and sorry for the spelling errors if I have any I'm in a hurry.

I have just seen so much of this lately and Im just so tired of it. There is one athiest girl I know, and she Is such a great person. But because of her beliefs she never really goes a day without someone making a comment to her. She isn't obnoxious about it. She just has her beliefs. Here is an interesting read:

Intolerance is a bitter beast. There are many groups in America that are subject to discrimination and prejudice, but none are more hated than atheists. Research conducted a couple years ago at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis found that atheists are more distrusted than muslims or homosexuals in the US.

This group does not at all agree with my vision of American society… Atheist: 39.6% Muslims: 26.3% Homosexuals: 22.6% Hispanics: 20% Conservative Christians: 13.5% Recent Immigrants: 12.5% Jews: 7.6% I would disapprove if my child wanted to marry a member of this group…. Atheist: 47.6% Muslim: 33.5% African-American 27.2% Asian-Americans: 18.5% Hispanics: 18.5% Jews: 11.8% Conservative Christians: 6.9% Whites: 2.3%

Link

Another link

A good one

I just would like for this to stop, there are several polls like this out there and I'm sure you guys have heard your share of anti-Athiesm references, no matter what you believe.

Have a good day, glad I could get that off my chest!

edit on 29-8-2012 by Pressthebutton because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Pressthebutton

Crap... I accidentally didn't put in any info

One sec....

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Pressthebutton

I suppose you're trying to say...

Atheism is empty?

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Firstly there is nothing sad about atheism.. We are free from fairy tales and folk lore, to use logic and science to accept who we are. Common sense in other words.
Anyway, I suppose I should wait for the rest of your post. I was just replying to the title.

edit on 29/8/12 by OpenEars123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by eleven44

Haha well, I'm kind of getting distracted, but my whole point that I'll post here soon is talking about how negatively atheists at least at my age(13-18) are put down. I'm not neccisarily and Athiests put I think that treatment is wrong. Heck there's my thread right there!

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Removed
edit on 29-8-2012 by Jefferton because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by OpenEars123

No no no, I'm not talking about the views of Athiesm but rather how OTHERS in my experiences often treat Athiests, they treat them like a separate species of people just because of what they think. And that is SO wrong.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pressthebutton

No no no, I'm not talking about the views of Athiesm but rather how OTHERS in my experiences often treat Athiests, they treat them like a separate species of people just because of what they think. And that is SO wrong.

OK cool man. Well that's because the majority of them are brain washed and can't think for themselves. But I think you know that already ;-)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Btw, they will arrive soon... God help you.. No wait!.....

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Like I said I'm not really an Athiest, but I'm open minded enough to see that what happens to that group of people is wrong. I'm sure not all Athiests are treated bad, but I know a few people personally that don't believe anything but can't say anything because they are afraid.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I am pretty sure the discrimination Atheist face is not the same as being homosexual.

In fact that thought is actually pretty offensive in several ways.

If you can't figure out why its offensive on your own... Im sure ATS will point it out to you.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Like I said I'm not really an Athiest, but I'm open minded enough to see that what happens to that group of people is wrong. I'm sure not all Athiests are treated bad, but I know a few people personally that don't believe anything but can't say anything because they are afraid.

OK I whole heartedly agree with you. But if we take atheism and religion and homosexuality out of the equation, I'd still like everyone to be treated the same. If you have a belief (and as long as you're not trying to convince /pressure anyone else into believing it) its all good with me. Except racism, and there is no justification for that, unless you have personally been harmed I guess.. Big bags of worms I know...

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

I'm not comparing it directly to homsexuality really, I'm just saying that I wouldnt mind seeing some programs or something to let people maybe try to quit caring about Athiesm so much, you know? That's the only way I'm comparing homosexuality to Athiesm I know they are nothing alike obviously, I mean I could give another example If it is offensive? It's just the first that came to my mind.

And the discrimination is different but discrimination in any form is still cruel.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   

reply to post by benrl

I'm not comparing it directly to homsexuality really, I'm just saying that I wouldnt mind seeing some programs or something to let people maybe try to quit caring about Athiesm so much, you know? That's the only way I'm comparing homosexuality to Athiesm I know they are nothing alike obviously, I mean I could give another example If it is offensive? It's just the first that came to my mind.

And the discrimination is different but discrimination in any form is still cruel.

Do atheist children get denied membership in boy scouts?

Atheist get denied jobs for being Atheist?

Atheist ever get run out of town because of their views?

So Atheist get denied loans because of their beliefs?

Can atheist marry the person they love?

I can go on an on about what REAL discrimination is, and we can compare if Atheist face it...

Ask a minority, what discrimination is.

Maybe just MAYBE discrimination would fly if we where in say a theocracy of some kind, or say a devout Islamic nation.
edit on 29-8-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Anyone who can/will manipulate another into thinking that; God/Jesus is real and will affect your life if you don't act accordingly, Or racism is right as well as homiphobia, can COME SEE ME IN PERSON. They won't, they never will do. They just stay online and hide behind their lies, and spout off crap that other people have told them.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I find it quite hard to relate to this being an Atheist. I came to my own conclusions through reason when I was 6 and was frankly open about how I felt when questioned. People just care far too much about what others think when it comes to negative connotations.

If someone is impeding on you with words you can just as easily shut them down with them. I pushed deep into philosophy at an early age as well and coupled it with further research into religion at large. Most of it was sad amateur hyperbole easily overcome when I was harassed. Silly garbage like "Where does the wind come from if god didn't make it?".

As far as people at large not trusting Atheist it has no bearing. Unless questioned directly or the odd evangelist comes my way it's not part of what I share with people in the real world. If you are hung up on people not trusting you I would simply ask why would you place your trust in anyone on scant facts.

The way I see it, if people avoid me because of it they did me a favor. When it comes to the semantics of belief and emotion I have to say that a victim is an equal partner in their ordeal and requires a mindset for it.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

My opinion is, if any group Athiests included, is bullied by peers because of what they believe, that is discrimination. Keep in mind I'm talking about what I've seen in my high school only, I'm not analyzing it to the level you are. Frankly I just feel bad for some of those people. That's all. I get your point, I'm simply referring to what I've witnessed by people my age.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by LaughingatHumanity

Well good for you

This post is just me explaining what I've seen done by others, and they aren't generally as good about defending themselves, and there are some that do just fine about dealing with others.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Just want to say that I came to my belief in God in a completely 'scientific' way, based on facts, observations and personal experiences.
I do not adhere to any particular religion or any specific dogma/tradition/rhetoric.
I experience God all around me, and am humbled by the infinite amount of love, support and science that God implements in His undertaking. (I say 'His,' but to not mean to imply that God is actually a Man sitting on a cloud watching everything we do and smiting us for 'sins.' God is 'Him' just as Earth is 'Her.')
We know when we sin, and we feel the pain and suffering it causes us. There is no need for God to punish us more than we punish ourselves.
Science only furthers my belief. The intricate levels that God works on, the language that he speaks...it's incredible.
I do not condemn, judge or hate anyone. But I do wish upon everyone that they may come to some sort of relationship with God.

For me, it works like this: Earth is like the seed (egg) of a Woman. God is like the sperm (life) of a Man. The Earth, like the womb and the egg, harbors all the necessities to create life. God, however, is the infinite energy that is ever expanding. God is the life force. Without God there would be no consciousness on any level. All consciousness, for that matter, whether it is a rock, a tree, bacteria, a fish, a duck, a moose or a human, ALL sprang from Earth once the life force of God generated life.
Basically...we're all God Bubbles briefly experiencing 'life', (thus, experiencing God....thus, experiencing Our Self.)

This understanding (and the ability to also admit I will never 'truly' understand it all) has humbled, empowered and freed me.

I agree many stereotypical 'Christians' (and Muslims, Jews, and any other religion for that matter) are completely misled and have been purposefully led astray. The Powers That Be do not wish for you or me to know the True Power that is found within God, and thus have separated God from the Self, forcing you to look outside of your own being to 'find' God. God is not 'out there.' He is very much so Within. If people were empowered by this knowledge, there would be no need for Government or Religious institutions.

Cheers.
edit on 29-8-2012 by eleven44 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

reply to post by benrl

My opinion is, if any group Athiests included, is bullied by peers because of what they believe, that is discrimination. Keep in mind I'm talking about what I've seen in my high school only, I'm not analyzing it to the level you are. Frankly I just feel bad for some of those people. That's all. I get your point, I'm simply referring to what I've witnessed by people my age.

Well, than sadly wait to you get out into the real world.

You will see far worse discrimination to put what you saw into the proper perspective.

I have an aunt who is in an interracial relation ship, on a trip to the south she actually had someone throw something at them as they walked down the street.

Being an Atheist is simply your opinion, just as Being a theist is. Freedom to express your opinion is important, period.

JUST Understand that comparing the dislike of an opinion, which btw happens to Theist as well, try being a Theist at some of our higher education institutions as an example, in NO WAY compares to what others face because of what they where born as.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join