It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sad Popular View of Athiests and Athieism From MY Experiences

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by OpenEars123

I understand. I (often) get a little worked up and grumpy myself.
That's how I know to recognize it other people! Haha.

I appreciate that you respect the spirituality I've chosen. Many times I have experienced Atheist's and others who refuse to recognize any difference between the God I believe in...and the 'God' so many other mindless people follow without question.

I rejected Religion (I was raised Baptist) most of my life. I had a problem with the hypocrisy of it ever since I was a little child. For whatever reason though, I never really questioned the existence of God...just the way people thought about Him. So, I set out to understand God in my terms.
We (God and myself) talk daily. He's talked to me since I was a little kid.

Blah blah, I don't wanna get on a huge tangent. Just wanted to say thanks for your respect.

Have a great day!!

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by n3mesis
i can't for the life of me figure out what motivates an atheist, i mean what makes an atheist even bother to wake up or to not put a bullet in their mouth especially these days in the horrible turmoil we suffer more and more these days.
Well, I'm certainly not as depressed about the world situation as you seem to be. I'm always smiling and helping others to smile. Happiness is healthy. Health keeps us relatively pain free and alive. This is basic survival instinct. We're animals, so we have it. I also derive great pleasure from many things in life including my own company. When I'm dead I'll have absolutely nothing. I won't even have what makes us who we are, memories. I won't be me anymore. My energy will turn to heat, and my body will decay. I think I'd rather be alive.

i have to also question that if i find myself in a situation requiring some form of assistance in a life saving situation would an atheist put their life in harms way to save a stranger? i mean what's to stop them from thinking.. F that dude he's nothing to me. being a "good" person, i wouldn't think, would be enough to act in a situation like this i mean i'd put my life in harms way without hesitation but i know why i would, i just can't get into the head of an atheist and what i'm saying isn't meant to be derogatory in any way i'm sincerely curious.
I would do my best to save the both of us. I wouldn't put myself in a position where we could both die. I like people, as I like the rest of the animals. They're cute and entertaining, and I feel affection for them. I'd do my best to save any animal that's not an immediate threat to me.Yes, I catch bugs and let them out of my house.

God isn't a tool to keep me inline, He isn't a crutch, He isn't an excuse.. i was raised Catholic but i had the ability to choose what i wanted to believe for myself and being raised Catholic i am most certainly aware of all the evil and atrocities that's been done in the name of religion but that has to do with the human element but yeah.. what exactly motivates an atheist?

What motivates you?

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I've heard atheists go on and on about how stupid and childish and imaginary Christian doctrine is, never failing to mention how judgmental they are about gays and abortion. Both sides think they are right, so you're going to have conflict.

13-18? Southpark did a pretty funny episode about atheism. The story line goes into the future where 3 very similar factions of phallic-helmet wearing atheists fight each other.

en.wikipedia.org...

On their way to the Ancient Technology Museum in search of a Wii console, the UAL comes under attack by a rival group, the United Atheist Alliance (UAA). After a fierce battle that leaves all the UAL members dead and Cartman a UAA hostage, the group is contacted by yet another faction, the Allied Atheist Allegiance (AAA) -- who are super-intelligent sea otters at war with the humans of the UAL and UAA over world domination and the Great Question. The Otter King threatens to smash Cartman's skull "like a clam on my tummy."

www.southparkstudios.com...

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by MeesterB

...never failing to mention how judgmental they are about gays and abortion

What do you mean by that?

Are you saying all Atheist are the same? that they have some book telling them to hate someone? or some book telling them to kill unborn fetus?

If that's not your intent, then i'm sorry.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

If you are a true Christain, you shouldn't be discriminating or condemning anyone, people like this give us Christains (speaking of myself) a bad name. I do not like homosexuality and believe it is a sin. Sin is a personal thing, not may place to judge only to offer a pathway to salvation as I believe. If more people practiced tolerance the world would be a better place. You can not be accepting or want to partcipate however you should always be tolerant of others.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

I've heard atheists go on and on about how stupid and childish and imaginary Christian doctrine is,

I would say escapist and immoral.

never failing to mention how judgmental they are about gays and abortion.

I also didn't understand this..

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
It always saddens me when i see hateful rhetoric coming from a Christian toward any person. It is the exact opposite of how we are taught to behave. We are never supposed to judge anyone on a personal level. We are taught to love everyone. If we want to combat atheism or anything else, it seems to me that any intelligent person should be able to see that belittlement, hate speech, or proclamations of "you're wrong-i'm right" without any good reason why, or,(even worse) from a person who is a poor example of Christian behavior will never change a mind, much less a heart.

I will say, however, that i have seen hate and intolerance coming from atheists that dwarfs just about anything i have seen from any Christian. I have also engaged in intelligent debate with atheists with respect on both sides. And really, any debate without that respect immediately becomes pointless.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy

I've heard atheists go on and on about how stupid and childish and imaginary Christian doctrine is,

I would say escapist and immoral.

Why?

never failing to mention how judgmental they are about gays and abortion.

I also didn't understand this..

I also did not understand that...

edit on 30-8-2012 by xGuitarPlayerx because: fixed quote

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by xGuitarPlayerx

Why?

1. Abrahamic religions contain an overwhelming amount of immoral rules and mandates. Religion instills into believers you need particular religion to be moral. There are moral schools of thought that trump these religions, but are denounced as they naturally are deemed inferior to the 'Infallible Word of God'.

2. When you believe you know the thoughts and opinions of the creator of all reality... your mind is made firm on many matters and therefore becomes close-minded. It's an escape from critical thinking. An escape from thinking deep and hard for yourself.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Lucid,

You comments are irrevelant based upon your assumption that Christains are required to participate under the Old Testament covenants. The entire purpose of Christs coming was a to forgive man, past present future of all sins, secondly release them from the Abrahamic laws which no man could follow, thirdly to rip the veil of the church to ensure man could have a direct relationship with God without the need of a rabbi or priest. Jesus also said that "loving each other as I love you" is the standard by which we will be judged.

Your reference to ancient rituals and rules has no context with christainity as it did not exist prior to Jesus and his resurrection. I might have some bearing if we were discussing Jew's but we aren't.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
This is what I love about ATS, no matter what you usually end up with a debate of some kind, and it is always to interesting to see where people take the topic.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by DOLCOTT

I am well aware of the 'New Covenant' stance.

You comments are irrevelant based upon your assumption that Christains

First and foremost I specifically said Abrahamic religions. Therefore you isolating Christianity is erroneous.

are required to participate under the Old Testament covenants. The entire purpose of Christs coming was a to forgive man, past present future of all sins

Even if I believed Christians followed this New Covenant in the way you mean it (which I don't) it would hardly address all the points I mentioned in the prior post.

Jesus also said that "loving each other as I love you" is the standard by which we will be judged.

I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ. Gandhi

My post was in reference to the religious that follows religions. How they act and what they believe at large in today's World. What the Churches teach and encourage.

I might have some bearing if we were discussing Jew's but we aren't.

Which is included in 'Abrahamic religion' is it not?..

Christians include OT in their Bibles and they still quote it, still form beliefs directly from it. Churches still do this. Many political socio issues currently are fueled by scripture that very much includes OT. Evidence is evident. On this board alone....

That said, there was superior schools of moral thought predating your New Covenant. And most assuredly much much much more moral than Yahweh

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by DOLCOTT

If you are a true Christain, you shouldn't be discriminating or condemning anyone, people like this give us Christains (speaking of myself) a bad name. I do not like homosexuality and believe it is a sin. Sin is a personal thing, not may place to judge only to offer a pathway to salvation as I believe. If more people practiced tolerance the world would be a better place. You can not be accepting or want to partcipate however you should always be tolerant of others.

I agree if more people practiced tolerance the world would be a better place. I also believe if more people accepted that, christianity and most other 'controlling' religions are an abomination to mankind,.. The world would be an even 'better' place.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pressthebutton
reply to post by eleven44

Haha well, I'm kind of getting distracted, but my whole point that I'll post here soon is talking about how negatively atheists at least at my age(13-18) are put down. I'm not neccisarily and Athiests put I think that treatment is wrong. Heck there's my thread right there!

When I was a kid I didn't think about anyone's religion. All the neighborhood kids played sports and ogled girls. There was no talk about religion. Dinosaurs, comic books, music, cars...?...yeah, that's about it.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Well I'm 16(driving age) we don't really talk about dinosaurs or comic books anymore.. But I get what your saying. This isn't With everyone but you would be amazed with how many people take religion VERY seriously at my school. The times are changing man

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Pressthebutton

16 I was talking about alcohol, drugs, girls and starcraft

Before that it was dinosaurs and comics.

Now it's most of those

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join