It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sad Popular View of Athiests and Athieism From MY Experiences

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Pressthebutton

There are many groups in America that are subject to discrimination and prejudice, but none are more hated than atheists

Right, that's why atheists come to the religion forums to tell christians (and only christians do they attack) that Jesus is a fairytale. Now that is funny, because if they didn't believe they would have no reason to be here other than to be hateful little trolls out to steal people's only hope. Now who is discriminating against whom? You invite yourselves here to do your damage. A true atheist wouldn't bother to even care to come here to dispute people about their imaginary friend in the sky, i would know because 2 years ago i was part of that crowd.

Instead they come here to babble about their "disbelief" in God or "gods", while they claim to disbelieve, they are still arguing about something they believe does not exist and so, what they really have is a religion made of believing that none of these things exist. The irony is, they believe in God enough to talk about Him, otherwise they wouldn't be here and so they end up doing his will anyway, which is to speak of Him, and they only prove to us christians God exists even more because the more they fight Him, the more they do His will which is believe in Him.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by OpenEars123
Anyone who can/will manipulate another into thinking that; God/Jesus is real and will affect your life if you don't act accordingly, Or racism is right as well as homiphobia, can COME SEE ME IN PERSON. They won't, they never will do. They just stay online and hide behind their lies, and spout off crap that other people have told them.

edit on 29/8/12 by OpenEars123 because: (no reason given)

I would love to have a face-to-face conversation about what I believe God truly is. I do it with people all the time. (But I'd prefer you didn't have such a snarky attitude about it...
)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Well alright. I'm just merely thinking of those people that deal with it and Athiests happened to be the subject of
My post because that's what I've seen here lately. I know how it can be out there, it's hard, I'm not putting down any of that

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

I have experienced similar things in the past and I can only say that if you are an atheist you have the logic and intelligence to be the adult in the situation.
Theists, as nice as some may be suffer from a social mental illness which impedes their ability to think rationally and review information without preconceived emotions.
Getting upset at them insulting atheists is sort of like getting upset at people with down syndrome or something, sure they may be a lot more capable in other areas but when it comes to making logical opinions about things that challenge their enforced view of religion they are like a turtle on its back.

Subtly try to educate them, but be graceful. More then likely it will have no effect but if you know you are right then that should be all that matters.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Well I appreciate your thought out opinion. I think that statement you quoted was more based off of what the poll revealed if I'm not mistaken. I'm fairly neutral in this(I lean more towards a theist perspective) And when it comes to online and most definetly sites like ATS I agree the attacks here on Christians can be brutal and definetly not good! But most of my experiences have been in places (like school) that aren't like ATS where Athiests and all of the sorts are abundant. I also live in the south where Christian values are taken to generally a whole new level.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
When I was a Christians, atheists and other non-believers attacked me for my beliefs.

When i was an atheist, Christians and other believers attacked me for my beliefs.

It doesn't matter what you believe, you're going to be attacked for them.

I truly wish it weren't that way. It truly doesn't have to be.

Why should it matter what another person believes as long as they aren't really harming anyone?

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
When I was a Christians, atheists and other non-believers attacked me for my beliefs.

When i was an atheist, Christians and other believers attacked me for my beliefs.

It doesn't matter what you believe, you're going to be attacked for them.

I truly wish it weren't that way. It truly doesn't have to be.

Why should it matter what another person believes as long as they aren't really harming anyone?

The difference is that if you can present some evidence to an atheist they will listen.
When atheists present evidence to theists they just ignore it.

Seems pretty clear where the roadblock to proper conversation is coming from.

I agree that everyone has the right to believe something so long as it hurts no one, but I would say there is many a reason why things regarding religion are exempt from that freedom. Religion does hurt people, a lot.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Sodium

It hurts people when it is misused, as organized religion does all the time. Religion in and of itself is not truly evil. The primary purpose of religion is to help people be a better person and live a happier, more rounded life.

I personally believe it was never meant to be imposed upon people and to force people to obey.

The biggest evil of organized religion are the people who misuse it to further their own interests, into forcing people to conform to one belief.

If people would learn that spreading the message means just let people know there are other choices out there rather than force them to bow down at gun point, things would be quite different indeed.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   

It hurts people when it is misused, as organized religion does all the time. Religion in and of itself is not truly evil. The primary purpose of religion is to help people be a better person and live a happier, more rounded life.
Seems to me that even when religion is used correctly it has negative affects on its followers and the wider community. The idea that people live happier lives is not a good thing when you consider what it is making people happy about. Modern religion as we know it has always acted alongside a corrupt system, whether it be political, financial, monarchs or religious. More then making people happy I feel that religion makes them accepting and somewhat oblivious to the problems in their society which has much greater long term negatives then the short term positives you speak of.

I personally believe it was never meant to be imposed upon people and to force people to obey.
Forcing it upon people is the single key to the success of religion.

edit on 29-8-2012 by Sodium because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
As a long time and staunch athiest, I've found the best policy is to refrain from discussing politics and religion. It doesn't matter the age group...

There is no doubt that teenagers are specially apt to discriminate. When I was in high school, the norm was to be a 'good christian' and go to church. If you were to identify with being an athiest, it pretty much equated with being the antichrist. For some reason, being a non-believer is equated with being the devil...

I think as people get older and more educated, more and more of them tend to question their faith and while they won't all swicth to being a full fledged athiest, they will be much more likely to empathize with one and even question if that is the correct way.

In my experience, there is no sense arguing faith/religion with someone who is religious. I consider myself a man of science. I believe in science, facts, and provable experiments, etc.... You can argue till your blue in the face but when the person you are talking to is relying on 'Faith', you can't and never will win. They have bought into the idea that the unknown is explainable by an all knowing/all seeing/master of all and for what its worth, I think a lot of people need that. There is a significant portion of the population that needs the fear of good to point them in the right direction so overall, its okay with me.

As for the girl you know that is an athiest, I wouldn't worry about her getting grief from other students. She knows that she is right and they are wrong and there is plenty of solace in that. Additionally, as an athiest, when you experience religious bigotry, it just reinforces what you already know.

edit on 29-8-2012 by jimmysinger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Pressthebutton, sorry about the destruction of your thread
. It's nice to be nice to people. It's nice to discuss theories. It's nice when no one loses it in said discussions. Myself, I can't say, "Well, you're obviously the idiot." This is because I have been an idiot. In trying to figure out what peace is and how to bring it about, I've been callous, I've been used, and I've been manipulated. I've done stupid things and let stupid things happen to me. However, I don't know how else I could have learned the lessons I did. Life has been an expensive and emotional classroom for me. I feel like I'm getting there. I at least no when to tell myself to shut up.

BTW, I'm an atheist. Nice to meet you.
edit on 30-8-2012 by gentledissident because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
When I was a Christian I was told that I would face ridicule and persecution and be treated as an outcast for my beliefs. I never experienced this as a christian. When I stopped believing I experienced everything I was told I would experience as a believer. I was rejected by my family and many of my friends. I have been called names for my unbelief and experienced other forms of mistreatment by Christians. So yes discrimination against atheists does exist. Maybe not on the level of other groups but it does happen.
edit on 30-8-2012 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Here's a lighthearted story about rejection.

I was going to a religious college and learning about world religion in an actual seminary. So, I was always up for a religious discussion. One day, I was sitting on a bench outside a hospital where I washed dishes. I sat next to a post menopausal lady. We discussed the world and religion with great gestures and head tossing. She pulled out a cigarette pack. I interrupted the conversation to ask her for one. Of course, my new friend was happy to fuel the conversation with a couple of cigarettes. While she was passing the cigarette to me, my part of the conversation required me to tell her that I didn't believe in a god. She stopped in mid pass and dropped her smile. I pointed out that withholding the smoke at that point was pretty cruel, so she gave it to me.

BTW, I stopped smoking. Cigarettes trade a moment for your life.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmysinger
As a long time and staunch athiest, I've found the best policy is to refrain from discussing politics and religion. It doesn't matter the age group...

My father used to say that, it comes in handy.

That said, I do discuss those things on occasion

If I meet someone new and in the first 2 minutes they announce that they are (vegetarian, christian, republican, progressive, liberal, non-smoker, etc...) and how great it is, and am I one too, and if not then why not? I may be a little less friendly and open with them... Not for their belief but for their uncouthness in letting one belief define them to the point that that is what they want me to identify them as.

I dated a vegetarian and she was great, never pushed her beliefs on me or anyone... My friends did not even know - it was like she made a personal choice and moved on with her life and never felt the need to convert or tell anyone about it. I think it was a sign of maturity and intelligence.

Sorry - not meaning to blame the victim but if you put your personal beliefs out there expect resistance (the further you are from the center of the bell curve on just about any issue can lead to that).

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by eleven44
reply to post by OpenEars123

Just want to say that I came to my belief in God in a completely 'scientific' way, based on facts, observations and personal experiences.
I do not adhere to any particular religion or any specific dogma/tradition/rhetoric.
I experience God all around me, and am humbled by the infinite amount of love, support and science that God implements in His undertaking. (I say 'His,' but to not mean to imply that God is actually a Man sitting on a cloud watching everything we do and smiting us for 'sins.' God is 'Him' just as Earth is 'Her.')
We know when we sin, and we feel the pain and suffering it causes us. There is no need for God to punish us more than we punish ourselves.
Science only furthers my belief. The intricate levels that God works on, the language that he speaks...it's incredible.
I do not condemn, judge or hate anyone. But I do wish upon everyone that they may come to some sort of relationship with God.

For me, it works like this: Earth is like the seed (egg) of a Woman. God is like the sperm (life) of a Man. The Earth, like the womb and the egg, harbors all the necessities to create life. God, however, is the infinite energy that is ever expanding. God is the life force. Without God there would be no consciousness on any level. All consciousness, for that matter, whether it is a rock, a tree, bacteria, a fish, a duck, a moose or a human, ALL sprang from Earth once the life force of God generated life.
Basically...we're all God Bubbles briefly experiencing 'life', (thus, experiencing God....thus, experiencing Our Self.)

This understanding (and the ability to also admit I will never 'truly' understand it all) has humbled, empowered and freed me.

I agree many stereotypical 'Christians' (and Muslims, Jews, and any other religion for that matter) are completely misled and have been purposefully led astray. The Powers That Be do not wish for you or me to know the True Power that is found within God, and thus have separated God from the Self, forcing you to look outside of your own being to 'find' God. God is not 'out there.' He is very much so Within. If people were empowered by this knowledge, there would be no need for Government or Religious institutions.

That was very nicely written, and I don't class being spiritual as brain washed. Your belief is harmless in my eyes, thank you for your thoughtful response.
Cheers.
edit on 29-8-2012 by eleven44 because: (no reason given)

edit on 30/8/12 by OpenEars123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by eleven44

Originally posted by OpenEars123
Anyone who can/will manipulate another into thinking that; God/Jesus is real and will affect your life if you don't act accordingly, Or racism is right as well as homiphobia, can COME SEE ME IN PERSON. They won't, they never will do. They just stay online and hide behind their lies, and spout off crap that other people have told them.

edit on 29/8/12 by OpenEars123 because: (no reason given)

I would love to have a face-to-face conversation about what I believe God truly is. I do it with people all the time. (But I'd prefer you didn't have such a snarky attitude about it...
)

Well said! I admit I was pretty grumpy last night, I apologise.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Right, that's why atheists come to the religion forums to tell christians (and only christians do they attack) that Jesus is a fairytale.

Oh? I attack Christianity and all the Abrahamic religions and dogma.

Fairytale? That would be undermining the problem!! No it's much worse. A simple fairytale would be as benign as a child's imaginary friend. These religions are oppressive tyrannical forces that have stunted intellectual and social development for thousands of years.

Now that is funny, because if they didn't believe they would have no reason to be here other

That's like saying if religious people didn't believe in atheism they would have no reason to get on bikes with a bible in hand and go knocking on doors.

Atheists lack a belief in God. If they are in discussion with you it's because they are genuinely interested in your position, could care less about your position and want to poke fun, or they think (like you think) they can convert you to better beliefs. None of those mean the atheist secretly believes in your God....

Now who is discriminating against whom?

Discrimination? Who us? No...you misunderstand, we love you all, we just hate your sin

A true atheist wouldn't bother to even care to come here to dispute people about their imaginary friend in the sky

True atheist?? lol. Like the whole "true Christian" thing?

An atheist means a lack of belief in God. That's it. That's a true atheist.

An atheist would bother to dispute 'sky god' beliefs for a multitude of reasons! One being how absolutely morally reprehensible most of it is!

while they claim to disbelieve, they are still arguing about something they believe does not exist and so, what they really have is a religion made of believing that none of these things exist.

While they "claim"? And what are the religious doing but "claiming"?

Religion is rules and rituals and mandates. Atheism does not have that. Calling it a religion should be offensive to someone who values religion.

The irony is, they believe in God enough to talk about Him, otherwise they wouldn't be here and so they end up doing his will anyway, which is to speak of Him, and they only prove to us christians God exists even more because the more they fight Him, the more they do His will which is believe in Him.

Oh man that is rich

Next time an atheist asks you for proof in God please please please for the love of Sky God respond to it with "The evidence for my God is in how much you don't believe".
edit on 30-8-2012 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
i feel i'm open-minded and i never ever discriminate especially towards someones beliefs but i do have my opinions and thoughts about atheists.. i'm a religious person and i know what motivates me in everything i do but i can't for the life of me figure out what motivates an atheist, i mean what makes an atheist even bother to wake up or to not put a bullet in their mouth especially these days in the horrible turmoil we suffer more and more these days.

i have to also question that if i find myself in a situation requiring some form of assistance in a life saving situation would an atheist put their life in harms way to save a stranger? i mean what's to stop them from thinking.. F that dude he's nothing to me. being a "good" person, i wouldn't think, would be enough to act in a situation like this i mean i'd put my life in harms way without hesitation but i know why i would, i just can't get into the head of an atheist and what i'm saying isn't meant to be derogatory in any way i'm sincerely curious.

i would love to see a study done to see religion vs. being an atheist in the worlds first responders, they put their lives in danger every single day for complete strangers and i'm not saying one life choice is better than the other either, again, i'm sincerely curious.

God isn't a tool to keep me inline, He isn't a crutch, He isn't an excuse.. i was raised Catholic but i had the ability to choose what i wanted to believe for myself and being raised Catholic i am most certainly aware of all the evil and atrocities that's been done in the name of religion but that has to do with the human element but yeah.. what exactly motivates an atheist?

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   

It can't be avoided I suppose. People are suspicious(or downright hostile) of what they don't understand. Plus in your environment the minority belief or point of view is easy to gang up on. Consider it a learning experience for your later years. Don't suffer in silence. Remain calm. Learn how to deal with the antagonists in your own way.

I can't think of anything else to add. Nothing I say here is going to magically end discrimination or curb the ignorance of zealots.

It is rare to see people who truly know what atheism is. I applaud you in this respect. I find it amusing when atheists debate about the nature of deities. Although I do disagree in some respects with your views on how atheists present themselves. I don't debate with theists to shatter hope. I do it to help show that there is more than one road to "salvation"...as Christians would call it.

As you so aptly pointed out; Atheists simply deny the existence of deities. As such, an atheist can follow religious systems or spiritual practices that have no worship of deities. Philosophical Taoism, the original form of Buddhism, and Classical Shintoism are just three of many such systems.

reply to post by benrl

What exactly are you saying? I am confused. The way I interpret what you are saying is essentially this:

Lesser forms of discrimination are excusable because others suffer from more extreme forms of discrimination.

I am asking in innocence and curiosity....please don't take this as some sort of attack.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I like to think the current Atheist as Pioneers... people who let others know that "Yes you can doubt your current belief in the god" "you should ask question" "look outside the cult"

Even tho im an Atheist, i never mention that to my Family, because they are not ready for a non-believe
, even when i brought that up with my mom.. all i did was i asked question about the god(i was 16 i believe) and she was like "no son of mine is going to question this and live in this house" etc etc.. my dad on the other hand, didn't give a crap, he believed in god but did not go to pray or temple etc...

Atheism opens your mind to everything(yes i do know there are extremest, they are everywhere) and you can look at things unbiased. The reason Christianity is the main target is because in this forum, i would say 90% are Christians. If you start a thread about how Allah is fake, it would die in couple of hrs an would not pass page 2.

Am i gonna grow my future children as an Atheist? Nope,
Am i going to send them to a religious practice(sunday school etc)? Nope,

Its something they will figure out, however i will do say how the teaching in most religions, esp Abrahmic are not what they are now.. if i were to encourage a religion, it would be Jainism or Buddhism...

Anyway...

Best way to be an Atheist is not to label yourself as an Atheist, just question things.
La belling yourself is a sure way to lose. because religious like to label you as something, then bring you down to their level to compare and defeat you with their perfected skill, ignorance.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join