It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michelle Obama's New School Lunches Are A Flop

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
reply to post by captaintyinknots

You gloss over the poorer kids who can afford nether.

Evidence of some abuse is not evidence of all abuse of the system.
edit on 25-9-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

I didnt gloss over anything. I responded to a specific poster who made a specific point. Ive touched on the poor kids already in this thread.

Basically, if you think they should get free lunch, AND get to choose how much and what they want to eat, you are advocating entitlement. Ever heard of the phrase beggars cant be choosers? Perhaps they should be thankful that they get food, FOR FREE, and not complaining about not getting what they want.

If the whole lunch is eaten, it is plenty. The issue comes in because kids dont eat the whole lunch. They eat the main dish, and toss out the fruit/veggies. Too bad, so sad. If you're that hungry, you'll eat it.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

You gloss over the poorer kids who can afford nether.

Evidence of some abuse is not evidence of all abuse of the system.
edit on 25-9-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

I didnt gloss over anything. I responded to a specific poster who made a specific point. Ive touched on the poor kids already in this thread.

Basically, if you think they should get free lunch, AND get to choose how much and what they want to eat, you are advocating entitlement. Ever heard of the phrase beggars cant be choosers? Perhaps they should be thankful that they get food, FOR FREE, and not complaining about not getting what they want.

Quite! You give them a finger, they chew off your hand.

I just don't get these parents complaining about school food. You vote for your local officials and the budget. You control how the money is spent. If you aren't capable of being in charge, and if you are too lazy to cook a wholesome lunch for your kid, shut the eff up and eat your beans.

Really, it's the twilight of the Nation. People can't cook, can't vote and all they can do is blame Obama. Duh.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Komaratzi11

Some examples of the new lunches taken from my son's lunch calendar:
Tues. Hamburger on wheat bun, with no cheese; carrots and dip; orange
Wed. Soft taco on wheat tortilla, lettuce; tomato; refried beans; pineapple
Thurs. sloppy joe on wheat bun; salad; mixed fruit
Fri. Mini Corn dogs; spinach salad; pears

That sounds like a gourmet meal compared to the free lunches I had to get from the school, growing up poor and all.

Cheese sandwich, which consisted of one slice of American Cheese on old white bread ( Yes, sometimes I had to pick mold off) and a small carton of skim milk....That was it.

And I loved it.....Because sometimes that was all I got for the whole day...So I never complained.

So, perhaps I am a bit biased in the area of school lunches...But, honestly, those school lunches sound like a 5 course gourmet meal compared to what I had.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DirtyLiberalHippie
So, perhaps I am a bit biased in the area of school lunches...But, honestly, those school lunches sound like a 5 course gourmet meal compared to what I had.

...and that's all Michelle Obama's fault!

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

And some how, I find myself being more disappointed in the school system.
My old high school is being nationally recognized as the school to build the most expensive high school football stadium in the country...It cost 60 million dollars to make...That's what makes ME mad.... It's the schools that are flopping.

That 60 million dollars could have bought so much better food for those kids who need the free lunch.... It could have gone to new books and computers, to raises for the teachers...But no...We had to build a 60 million dollar stadium...

Again, I would have loved to have what is on her menu, when I was growing up....

Hell, I bet there are even hungry adults out there who would be drooling at a chance to have some of what is on her proposed menu....

It seems priorities in this country are truly messed up....But I digress. ( I do that alot)

edit on 28-9-2012 by DirtyLiberalHippie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by DirtyLiberalHippie

Originally posted by buddhasystem

And some how, I find myself being more disappointed in the school system.
My old high school is being nationally recognized as the school to build the most expensive high school football stadium in the country...It cost 60 million dollars to make...That's what makes ME mad.... It's the schools that are flopping.

That 60 million dollars could have bought so much better food for those kids who need the free lunch..

I tell you what. Food is important but the very title and existence of this thread is a damning sentence to America. Why the hell a feeble attempt to bring healthy food to the American student all of a sudden becomes an issue? To who? To those of a weak mind, to the people who have trouble microwaving a little broccoli for their kids to eat? THAT kind of people?

Getting back to what's important. I have experience teaching natural sciences at an Ivy League school. Sixty million dollars (like in $60,000,000) can make a world of difference when applied to labs, teaching process in general, apparata in the lab and lots of other useful stuff. I'm foreign born, so forgive me for looking at any sort of football stadium constructed at the expense of a university somewhere, to the tune of 10**8 dollars, as a monument to pervasive stupidity.

edit on 28-9-2012 by buddhasystem because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   

What you dont get is that SCHOOLS DO NOT HAVE TO CATER TO PARENTS.

Who should they cater too, the parents and nation are their employers, they are but employees, and they serve parents and those children.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

What you dont get is that SCHOOLS DO NOT HAVE TO CATER TO PARENTS.

Who should they cater too, the parents and nation are their employers, they are but employees, and they serve parents and those children.

Really? So whatever parents want, schools should provide? Do you realize how asinine this statement is?

I guess all of those parents that I dealt with as a teacher that wanted no consequences for actions, that wanted restaurant sized menus, that wanted no report cards, but that couldnt even be bothered to look over their childs homework should be catered to, then?

School is not daycare. I repeat, SCHOOL IS NOT DAYCARE. Teachers do not serve the parents. They serve the children and their nation. If people dont like it, they can pull their kids out.

Its this type of entitled attitude that has lead to a decrease in quality teachers.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
This just shows that American kids are so used to eating processed garbage. God forbid anyone throws any actual fruits and vegetables into their lunches. They need their greasy fries and plastic pizzas goddammit! Vegetables are anti-american!

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Komaratzi11

It should be illegal to feed your kids such crap. No wonder they shun vegetables.

I bet all those parents are overweight, along with their kids.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by RunningFromSpider
This just shows that American kids are so used to eating processed garbage. God forbid anyone throws any actual fruits and vegetables into their lunches. They need their greasy fries and plastic pizzas goddammit! Vegetables are anti-american!

Amen.

Now picture what the OP is describing, a bunch of people in a local "small store", b!tching about exactly that, how come anyone would suggest it's not right to feed garbage to kids! The second you put a little vitamins and fiber in your kids' food, you betray American freedom and you are an agent of Iran!

Seriously, this topic is a litmus paper that detects retards among us.

And this is my mantra:

peaches
broccoli
green beans
whole grain bread
low fat cheese
low fat yogurt
blueberries

...and if you think this mantra is anti-American, you are a moron.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
wow...the OP is worried about intrusion by government over school lunches, but, not about being forceably raped by a vaginal probe that republicans wrote into law....why does anyone even vote for these right-wing nutcases

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by RunningFromSpider

This just shows that American kids are so used to eating processed garbage.

That's probably very true.

But the point I think people are missing is that this kind of government program doesn't fix the problem.

Instead it introduces new problems and makes things much worse. So now we have kids throwing away the food they are given (tremendous waste), going without food (not healthy, and likely binge eating even more crap when they get home) or bringing even more crap to school and sharing or selling it to others.

F*I*A*S*C*O

Have you seen the actual rules?

It's the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

It reads like a prison manual...

Even the most simple of logic is abandoned by this program. If you want children to eat healthier, you first need to encourage them to try new foods. This only happens IF THE FOOD TASTES GOOD.

Consider the French approach:

I bet those kids eat fruit and vegetables.

Compare with what our guys are eating:

Did you focus on the actual images of food? I'm sorry, just because you serve lettuce and the occasional actual apple does NOT a healthy lunch make, imo.

Protein is limited to 2oz?

Do you know anyone in the universe that does that?

This approach is just plain dumb.

edit on 29-9-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

No one likes the French example???

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

reply to post by loam

Well, my daughter certainly wouldn't be eating snails, I can tell you that.
I wonder if they let the kids drink wine at school -- I've heard they let them drink it at home.

All kidding aside, I really think it's up to the school chefs to get creative, while still adhering to the healthier guidelines. My daughter's school hired a company called Studio Kitchen to make lunches from scratch. The prices are a little higher, but the food is actually really good. They have things like chicken fettucini alfredo, barbeque sandwich, lasagna, turkey meatballs and pasta -- they even have the ever popular cheese pizza, but with homemade tomato sauce and hand-rolled pizza dough. They have vegetarian options as well, like baked potato with cheese (my daughter's personal favorite), veggie burgers, bean nachos and vegetarian fettucini. It all follows the guidelines, they have reduced priced lunches for those who qualify -- and the kids actually like the lunches, from what I hear. It can be done.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

reply to post by loam

I don't. I've lived in France for a while, and the food is all right. But it's not always healthy. The current theory is that the French avoid cardiovascular problems by drinking a considerable quantity of wine, because otherwise it's hard to explain how hightened cholesterol levels are tolerated. And what I can tell you is that the portions are way smaller than in the US. Everyone notices that. I think I also noticed beets in that clip coming from France. Are you sure that American kids will prefer beets to carrots? Seriously?

In the clip about the US, they say that the new menu "limits amount of sugar and ketchup, the flavors the kids crave". Duh. That's the idea.

And frankly if they started serving escargots in the US school lunches, you'd be the first to b!tch about government waste. There is no appeasing you. You just happen to hate the Obamas, and vitamins be damned.

edit on 1-10-2012 by buddhasystem because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

So a ton of carbs and no vegetables.

The American diet is among one of the least healthy in the world. It's no secret that kids everywhere hate eating fruits and veggetables, the only difference is that their parents make them eat it in other countries. I'm appalled at the parents who are opposing healthier lunches. I guess slowly killing their kids is a better option for them.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   

reply to post by kaylaluv

So a ton of carbs and no vegetables.

The American diet is among one of the least healthy in the world. It's no secret that kids everywhere hate eating fruits and veggetables, the only difference is that their parents make them eat it in other countries. I'm appalled at the parents who are opposing healthier lunches. I guess slowly killing their kids is a better option for them.

Oh no, there's lots of side vegetables (and fruit with every meal) -- I was just mentioning the entree dishes. And actually, there's quite a bit of protein in chicken and beef dishes, with legumes and dairy for the vegetarians. They don't deep-fry the broccoli like they do in France - and I am glad of that. Deep frying ruins any nutritional value in a vegetable, imho.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
If it's GMO free food then whatever it is is acceptable.
I will bet it is not though.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by milominderbinder

heh i know the answer, my question was , why dont people think of that question, they just say oh well its the presidents kid, they should eat well, what everyone forgets, is the president and his families , are american citizens first(well supposed to be heh), just like the rest of us, everyone in the government should have same healthcare, same food, same taxes ect ect but they are all treated like royalty.

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18 >>

join