It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is NBC doing a Story on Mormonism Tonight?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Yosemite Sam

You're missing my question. As an example, Catholics aspire to heaven, however they do not see themselves as superior to other humans in the process

I missed nothing. I understand but I don't agree. Catholics are as guilty as Mormons in this regard.

Please I welcome you to make a thread explaining how Catholics don't view themselves superior but Mormons do. Truly

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

you just claimed all republicans are christian and that they would only vote for a christian! How low can you stoop?

Racist

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
“Did they really research the past "churches" he attended? Did they research the people who helped shape his philosophy?”
jjf3rd77
????? Are you actually claiming that the Rev. Wright non-issue (www.youtube.com... ) * did not get much air time???
www.youtube.com...
However, jjf3rd77 I do agree that it is important to know what a President believes,
www.youtube.com...
* Reminds me of the made up ACORN issue www.abovetopsecret.com...
PS; www.youtube.com...

edit on 24-8-2012 by wittgenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Openeye
reply to post by jjf3rd77

So how did they define it? Anti-Gay

Well...yes, homosexual intimacy is a sin in their faith; it goes against the plan of salvation.

Mormons strictly believe that marriage and intimacy should only be between one man and one women (of course this is after polygamy), and the only way to be worthy of entering the celestial kingdom.

In social life Mormons by in accept homosexuality and are very civil and respectful, which is expected of them because it is part of their faith. Most Mormons will say "I don't approve of their lifestyle, but they are good people". But it is still an integral part of their faith that homosexual acts are a sin, and those who participate in them are not worthy to be in the lords presence.

No member of the Church can be accepted as in good standing whose way of life is one of rebellion against the established order of decency and obedience to law. We cannot be in rebellion against the law and be in harmony with the Lord, for he has commanded us to “be subject to the powers that be, until he reigns whose right it is to reign. …” - PRESIDENT JOSEPH FIELDING SMITH

Anti-Black

Meh not as much anymore, but it is still part of their doctrine that dark skin was a result of the curse placed on Cain; and they also believe (as it is part of their theology) that the Native American's are the the descendants of the Lamanites who also had dark skin (this I think was retconed recently in attempt to save face).

They believed for many years that men of dark color were not aloud to hold the priesthood, which of course changed as social norms changed.

Anti women

I would not really say their faith is Anti women, it does however paint them as less significant. Their faith is a patriarchy, only males can hold the keys of the priesthood. Women are supposed to pop out babies, care for them and be faithful to their husbands. This has changed over the years since it has became a social norm for women to work instead of being housewives, but it is still not really encouraged by the church.

How long did they talk about the faith and its traditions themselves?

If you want to know about their ritual its pretty straightforward, sacrament with bread and water, blessings to give the priesthood and ordinances for multiple purposes, baptisms, and sealings.

The temple stuff ts kind of strange and it has changed a little bit since back in the day, no more pretend cutting of throats and cleaning your limbs with oil, but there are still baptisms for the dead (which do not include dead bodies which was an awful myth), sealings, and endowments.

Mormons for the most part are nice people, they practice what they preach better than most Christians in my honest opinion. But they are not without their flaws in both social interaction and interpretation of reality, criticism is necessary to establish a dialogue about the subject of truth vs fiction.

edit on 24-8-2012 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-8-2012 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

Thank you for your additions. If only more people would read yours and my reviews with an open mind and not be so bigoted. claiming racism or crying about people talking about racism isn't going to get us anywhere. I simply wrote down what I saw when watching it. I learned nothing more about the mormon religion and in fact your post taught me more than Brian Williams' special.

Thank you.

edit on 24-8-2012 by jjf3rd77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by wittgenstein

????? Are you actually claiming that the Rev. Wright non-issue

No but they didn't research him or his church now did they? They didn't do a special on what it was like for Obama growing up in Chicago. Or a special on the history of Chicago even. NBC had Bill Ayers on directly after the election, as a guest talking about his friendship with the Obamas!!!! Now, if Fox News has on Romney's Cayman Islands banker, after the he wins in 2012, Fox would probably be asked to shut down for being anti-american....
and not doing a proper job, vetting Romney. It's the same concept.

Since this was a special talking about Mormon discrimination. I say, why not have a special on Chicago's dirty political history and how Obama used dirty smear campaign tactics to rise up in the political world.

Anybody who doesn't see the bias, here is completely blind!
edit on 24-8-2012 by jjf3rd77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Why is it everyone is sensitive when the issue has not even been covered or really questioned yet, during the last campaign and vetting of the current POTUS, do you not remember that since they could not disprove Obama's faith they chose to go after the preacher of the church and form a guilt by association theory, the fact remains Obama was a member of a Christian church for the last 20 plus years before running for office, now, was he at a mosque or proven to be peforming prayers to Mecca at the same time? no so please stop the nonsense, I feel any complaint about questions to Romney the candidate that Obama was raked over the coals about, should be perfectly acceptable, we need to know everything, including how you run a business and pay no taxes after you've made about 400 million dollars and then be able to claim you have empathy for the middle class and the elderly.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjf3rd77
reply to post by th3onetruth

I think it is interesting to learn about the religions that shape our political leaders. For a long time, every candidate was a Christian. We all know what that is. Now, that the world has grew up and started to elect and seriously look at other people with other faiths, we should be able to analyze logically what shapes the person we want to rule the country!

It's still a question, if Religion does affect politicians, but how could it not? How could their religious community not affect candidates decisions?

After all, we don't quite know who Romney's religious mentors are, (maybe that's what the documentary will reveal and I hope it does) but we do have a little idea about who Obama's are. I would just like to see the documentary about that as well to maintain balance.
edit on 23-8-2012 by jjf3rd77 because: (no reason given)

You are somewhat right. Now this election we have 2 candidates where neither is a Christian.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Resurected

Anyone with a functional brain who doesnt flood themselves with politically biased blogs and beat the propaganda drum all day can look up what religion Obama is.

And we ("ignoramuses") of course; can outright, without question, believe every word said by or written about a man who's college transcripts(i.e. years of life) are sealed and fuzzy?And whos actions betray his claims...

(Don't bother responding;"unquestioning Oh-bots" are a hopeless lot)

edit on 24-8-2012 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-8-2012 by 46ACE because: structure

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
People on here dont want to talk about Obama because they are Obama drones and anti jewish bigots. Ignore the fact that Obama went around congress to give 1.5 Billion to the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt which there are reports now of the brotherhood holding crucifictions Against its opponents. But you guys dont want to talk about that. It will make obama look bad.
edit on 24-8-2012 by knightrider078 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by knightrider078

I think people are starving for a substantive discussion about the actual issues. I think most are sick to death of the hit-and-run crap grenades that get lobbed into a discussion. Do you have any links to substantiate that stink bomb you just tossed? I do. Right here. The sickening thing is that we end up all day long punching and counterpunching, throwing the smears and innuendo, the rumors and the irrelevant nonsense, chasing each other in a circle and more appropriately circling the drain with character assassinations and bullsquat and efforts to refute the same.

Do you know anything about Romney's proposed energy plan?

Any idea what Obama has in mind for turning the economy around?

If not, why not, and if so, why the hell aren't you posting about that?

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrDesolate
reply to post by knightrider078

I think people are starving for a substantive discussion about the actual issues. I think most are sick to death of the hit-and-run crap grenades that get lobbed into a discussion. Do you have any links to substantiate that stink bomb you just tossed? I do. Right here. The sickening thing is that we end up all day long punching and counterpunching, throwing the smears and innuendo, the rumors and the irrelevant nonsense, chasing each other in a circle and more appropriately circling the drain with character assassinations and bullsquat and efforts to refute the same.

Do you know anything about Romney's proposed energy plan?

Any idea what Obama has in mind for turning the economy around?

If not, why not, and if so, why the hell aren't you posting about that?

Oh, i'm glad you brought that up. Obamas plan for turning the economy around.

You should know that Chris Matthews is also curious what Obama has planned for

his 2nd term. Obama is not saying. Probably because you wouldn't like it.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

Now we're getting somewhere. Obama has no plan? Is there an Obama supporter out there who'd care to refute that? And if not, how can you support a guy who has no plan to address the biggest issue facing the country today?

Wouldn't that be a much more interesting election conversation than Mormonism and NBC's version of it?

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrDesolate

Now we're getting somewhere. Obama has no plan? Is there an Obama supporter out there who'd care to refute that? And if not, how can you support a guy who has no plan to address the biggest issue facing the country today?

Wouldn't that be a much more interesting election conversation than Mormonism and NBC's version of it?

What did you think of the Chris Matthews video?

Why doesn't Obama call democrats in congress? Why doesn't he enjoy their company?

-------------
The Mormonism story by NBC is - just another distraction -.

You will see many more between now and November 6, 2012.

Talk about anything except the 1.5% GDP and $16 Trillion National Debt.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eurisko2012
What did you think of the Chris Matthews video?

I think it's great, but I'm a Chris Matthews fan, so I'm biased.

Why doesn't Obama call democrats in congress? Why doesn't he enjoy their company?

Conjecture on my part, but I personally believe he thinks it's beneath him. He has that imperious attitude he invokes that really turns people off. Which mystifies me, because he certainly has the ability to be very personable.

Now I happen to think that collectively, Congress is beneath me as well, so I can see his point. If your biggest potential guns were Pelosi and Reid, would you call them? I might if I had the option to hit them over the head, but beyond that I'd be distancing myself too. Problem is, that's not going to get anything done.

The good news is, not getting the wrong thing done is a net positive.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
OBAMA BYPASSES CONGRESS, GIVES $1.5 BILLION TO MUSLIM BROTHERHOOD

www.breitbart.com...

and MSNBC is works for the WH every now and they they will put on a little show to maake people think they are not bias

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by MrDesolate

I think Obama does not talk about his plans in his 2nd term because they include:

- Going over the Fiscal Cliff & then blame the republicans

- During the ensuing chaos - push through a nationwide Value Added Tax

The whole reason for the Simpson / Bowles Deficit Commission was for them

to hand Obama what he really wants. - Value Added Tax Recommendation -

They didn't give it to him so he ignored the Simpson / Bowles Report altogether.

-----------
Obama would have - zero - chance of getting re-elected if he told us the truth about his

plans.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by RELDDIR

This was a stupid waste of "airtime." They could have used it more wisely.
edit on 23-8-2012 by RELDDIR because: (no reason given)
thats not what the network thinks. I'm sure they made the money from their party
Its the party that lost the money as it tries/begs desperately to raise funds through personal emails

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Obama would have - zero - chance of getting re-elected if he told us the truth about his plans.

I agree. That's how I feel about Romney as well. He has no plan.

If I wouldn't vote for one...why would I vote for the other?

Romney is Obama is Romney...etc

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247

Obama would have - zero - chance of getting re-elected if he told us the truth about his plans.

I agree. That's how I feel about Romney as well. He has no plan.

If I wouldn't vote for one...why would I vote for the other?

Romney is Obama is Romney...etc

Stay home and watch it all unfold on TV.

According to the professors in Colorado it's already over.

----------
Now the US Senate races are turning against the dems.

Wisconsin is - RED -. RCP

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join