It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is NBC doing a Story on Mormonism Tonight?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Well, I won't even touch Obama about this topic. It's not worth pages of fighting at all levels for merely suggesting something folks don't like hearing...so (zips lips)

On Romney though? Heck... I have no issue about him being Mormon. I left the Faith of the Presidents out of my big thread because I didn't want the controversy that single data point could have brought to the whole effort I presented. If anyone had wondered though.... We'd had just about everything but a Mormon.

Source

So heck...It might be something new and different. If the way the Mormons run Utah is any indication, we could do worse. Objectively, Utah ranks among the best states in the nation for their current fiscal condition...so where Faith has any relation at all (and I'd say it's limited at best) this one isn't a strike in my opinion. Not when economics are really the only issue of any importance, period.

Source

At least they seem to have it together for their people working. Perhaps not #1 across the 50 states, but not that far from it....

States 2012 Budgets, Shortfalls and Gaps closed by location and dollars

As I've read, the nation had a real % claiming Kennedy would be an extension of Vatican City and run America by what the Pope told him to do.... It never happened that way and this won't go as bad as some suggest either for Faith issues...again, where the personal Faith of the President matters either way. Where it isn't a matter of honesty/character, I don't see where it ought to.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by pajoly
Sane people know his religion. Only the insane conspiracy-minded Right wingers have any "questions" about his religion. The man has said it himself many times. You say "some people say he is a Muslim." "Some people" think clouds are made of cotton candy. There are no "some people" who do not know his religion excepting the cranks on the hard right who think he is secretly covering up being a Muslim in a big plot to bring Sharia law to American shores. You are no doubt one of them.

This is not about being "open minded" anymore than an idiot whining we have closed minds who refuse to debate the earth being flat.

Mods, is it possible to put people on ignore? This guy has earned that many times over.

Watch "2016" and get a little perspective and knowledge as well. Then come back.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by jjf3rd77

Here is my review of your review:

Dumb.
Minorities whining about racism and sexism you say? Well.. usually minorities are the ones discriminated against.
Also are you implying women are a minority somehow? So Mormon men can marry as many wives as they want, but women can't marry multiple husbands? Why? Sexist? Women can't be preachers nor can blacks.

"woman's primary place is in the home, where she is to rear children and abide by the righteous counsel of her husband". - LDS leader Bruce R. McConkie, 1966

Do you know what blood atonement is? Read about that and tell me that is the kind of guy you want to be the most powerful man in the world. Scary #. Blood atonment is the idea and practice that some sins can only be atoned for by suicide. Yeah.. they believe that stuff and they have pushed it.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by RSF77
I seriously doubt Romney or Obama really holds any religious beliefs. They'll say whatever gets them favor on TV all day long, if you want to believe any of the crap they spew well... then... that's your right I guess.

It really doesn't even matter. Christian? Mormon? Yea right they don't even care, that stuff is just PR candy for the masses to bicker about while they screw us behind closed doors.

Unfortunately, I believe this as well. But I do believe that your background does have a profound effect on your current decision making, so in that respect it really does matter.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zarniwoop
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Both the liberal and conservative media spinners make it difficult to be well informed on anything.

We need a better way to get facts.

This is on point!

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by RELDDIR
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Obama, Romney, or Paul...Whomever you vote for.....
(as long as you're honest with yourself)

Honestly I think I am done voting for POTUS. I will vote for the other 'stuff'. I don't want to contribute to what I believe to be a false belief.... that the POTUS has any real influential power. The system is vast and intricate. No way would a long established power hierarchy have people of real influence in 4-8 year terms. It's an illusion to give people a sense of control.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flatfish

Originally posted by jjf3rd77
reply to post by pajoly

Do sane people really know his religion? Did they really research Obama's History? Did they really research the past "churches" he attended? Did they research the people who helped shape his philosophy?

If this documentary does what I think its going to do to the Mormon religion than we should be doing the same to Obama. Why are the highly religious always targeted like this?
edit on 23-8-2012 by jjf3rd77 because: (no reason given)

Does it really matter what churches he attended in the past or what philosophies he was exposed too during his life? Is that how we determine a person's religious beliefs? Please!!! Just because I attend math class, doesn't make me a mathematician, or does it? If so, does that mean that Christine O'Donnell really was a witch?

Fundamentally, we must accept that a person's religious beliefs are what they say they are and the President has clearly stated on numerous occasions that he is a Christian while Romney has made it perfectly clear that he is a Mormon, these two facts should be undisputed.

So the real question that you're posing here is NOT whether we should "be doing the same to Obama," but rather should we be doing the same to Christianity and as far as I'm concerned, have at it! The only advice I could possibly offer is; "Be careful what you look for because you might just find it."

This may come to a surprise to you and the rest of the TP/GOP, but the phrase "I know you are but what am I" is not a winning strategy in the world of intelligent adult voters.

I believe the larger point goes to "indoctrination". And then the rub, indoctrinated in what? Both seem to be redicent to discuss thier spiritual beliefs that have/will surely shape thier view(s)/actions on any given issue.

So, as you rightly ask, "Does it really matter what churches he attended in the past or what philosophies he was exposed too during his life?".

I would suggest, IT IS HUGE, in terms of national security and such.

Would a Hindu drop a bomb on a compound full of known Chinese terrorists?

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   

So how did they define it? Anti-Gay

Well...yes, homosexual intimacy is a sin in their faith; it goes against the plan of salvation.

Mormons strictly believe that marriage and intimacy should only be between one man and one women (of course this is after polygamy), and the only way to be worthy of entering the celestial kingdom.

In social life Mormons by in accept homosexuality and are very civil and respectful, which is expected of them because it is part of their faith. Most Mormons will say "I don't approve of their lifestyle, but they are good people". But it is still an integral part of their faith that homosexual acts are a sin, and those who participate in them are not worthy to be in the lords presence.

No member of the Church can be accepted as in good standing whose way of life is one of rebellion against the established order of decency and obedience to law. We cannot be in rebellion against the law and be in harmony with the Lord, for he has commanded us to “be subject to the powers that be, until he reigns whose right it is to reign. …” - PRESIDENT JOSEPH FIELDING SMITH

Anti-Black

Meh not as much anymore, but it is still part of their doctrine that dark skin was a result of the curse placed on Cain; and they also believe (as it is part of their theology) that the Native American's are the the descendants of the Lamanites who also had dark skin (this I think was retconed recently in attempt to save face).

They believed for many years that men of dark color were not aloud to hold the priesthood, which of course changed as social norms changed.

Anti women

I would not really say their faith is Anti women, it does however paint them as less significant. Their faith is a patriarchy, only males can hold the keys of the priesthood. Women are supposed to pop out babies, care for them and be faithful to their husbands. This has changed over the years since it has became a social norm for women to work instead of being housewives, but it is still not really encouraged by the church.

How long did they talk about the faith and its traditions themselves?

If you want to know about their ritual its pretty straightforward, sacrament with bread and water, blessings to give the priesthood and ordinances for multiple purposes, baptisms, and sealings.

The temple stuff ts kind of strange and it has changed a little bit since back in the day, no more pretend cutting of throats and cleaning your limbs with oil, but there are still baptisms for the dead (which do not include dead bodies which was an awful myth), sealings, and endowments.

Mormons for the most part are nice people, they practice what they preach better than most Christians in my honest opinion. But they are not without their flaws in both social interaction and interpretation of reality, criticism is necessary to establish a dialogue about the subject of truth vs fiction.

edit on 24-8-2012 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-8-2012 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247

Originally posted by Zarniwoop

Both the liberal and conservative media spinners make it difficult to be well informed on anything.

We need a better way to get facts.

I disagree. The liberal media "spinners" do a horrible job compared to the Right-wing propaganda machine.

We do need a better way to get facts, but we need to be willing to accept fact even when it contradicts our personal political beliefs.

A tiny crack in the vicious storm clouds...

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Openeye

Excellent post

Be prepared though

But it is still an integral part of their faith that homosexual acts are a sin, and those who participate in them are not worthy to be in the lords presence.

Their rebuttal is going to be that their discrimination is an act of benevolence as they are concerned for the welfare of their eternal (or not so depending on repentance) souls.

If they truly believe that I suppose I can understand their position is an act of kindness! It's a borderline insane and delusional one, but I can accept they believe it to be "love the sinner".

I would not really say their faith is Anti women, it does however paint them as less significant.

Not claiming this as valid...

But I heard from a Mormon friend that the wife doesn't get into Heaven until the husband grants the approval (through a password, or some such). Heard anything similar?
edit on 24-8-2012 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by BritofTexas

Originally posted by MrDesolate

So you're suggesting it's a wise investment to "wind these people (Republican base) up", like otherwise they might vote Democrat?

No,

They are being whipped up into a frenzy to make sure they go out and vote.

Scare mongering has worked on the GOP base so far, so why would they change their tactic?

Personally, I believe we are more laid back, better informed, and definately (as proven over time) more inclined to vote, then you dems. That's why you need twice the money to get out the vote. I have NEVER voted for a democrat and I NEVER will.

If you're 21 and not a dem, you don't have a heart..........if you're 40 and not a rep, you don't have a brain.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Every war was started to pay back the DEBT of the PREVIOUS GENERATION.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by RELDDIR

Because of that, I can never vote for bigger government. Live by the hand that feeds you, die by it.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Yes it is. One person can put out disinformation and propaganda and it can spread like wildfire throughout the uninformed masses.

You were talking about the Republican masses, which you apparently believe are much less informed than the Democrat masses. (Do I need to quote you on that?)

I don't believe they are less informed.....they are less informed. And they are not less informed than Democrats. TextThey are less informed than any other group. Period.

(Do I need to quote you on that?)

Yes, please. Finally, some hard facts/proof in this thread would be nice.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Yosemite Sam

Personally, I believe we are more laid back, better informed

I find it an interesting point that most University professors are 'left'.

Infer what you will

edit on 24-8-2012 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by BritofTexas

reply to post by BritofTexas

Let's back up a step. We were discussing the OP in that context. You think the GOP needs the thread starter here to wind people up into a frenzy to get their base to go out and vote?

Yes. I think the GOP and DNC employ posters on forums such as this.
(Just for fun, click on 'view posts' in a members profile. You'd be amazed how many seem to post 24/7)

And if you think it's only the Republicans that employ those scare tactics, you have not been paying attention. They've got Romney killing people with cancer, killing jobs, killing dogs, beating people up, and before it's over with I'm sure he will have dropped some diphtheria bombs on third world orphanages.

I don't think Democrats need to employ scare tactics, certainly not at the moment.

I haven't seen Romney being accused of being an Illegal, Communist, Muslim, Granny Killer,.....etc. (Or of being on the Mars base.
)

I have however heard of the 'Romney Kitchen Spatula, Kitten Massacre" but I'm not to sure of the validity of that particular claim.

Come on....get your poop in a group....the granny killer was your invention for Paul Ryan.....sheesh....you people are shameless.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Originally posted by jjf3rd77

Not entirely. The topic is NBC's fascination with Mormonism and how they have blinders on when anybody asks a question about what shaped Obama's philosophy!

This thread is proof of what the NBC types look like when you ask a question about Obama's religion or past for that matter.
edit on 23-8-2012 by jjf3rd77 because: (no reason given)

They are either deliberately being obtuse, are in denial or totally in the tank for Obama to the point they would sell out the whole country,
The fact of the matter is they can't handle the truth.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   

The topic is NBC's fascination with Mormonism

What fascination?

This thread is about how you think it's wrong for NBC to ask Romney about his faith. How dare they?

And then you turn it around and ask why they haven't asked Obama about his faith. But another member comes in and shows how Obama's faith has been covered by the media....many times.

In fact, let's read your OP:

NBC Claimed that they asked Romney for an interview about Mormonism to discover more about the faith that has shaped him. After all these years, people still have questions about what religion Obama actually is. Some say he is a Muslim, some say he is Christian, some say he isn't very religious. Which is it? NBC Why You no cover Obama?

What does NBC, Romney and Mormonism have to do with Obama? But you sure had to toss it in there. If you are not an inspiring propagandist, what purpose does your rhetoric serve?

It simply shows the hypocrisy of you left wing nuts.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
Well we will see what kind of malarkey the reporters come up with on the show, but from what I have been hearing there are some very wonderful Mormons,

Mormonism is a Christian belief with some differences.

There are 1500 Christian sects in America alone - - - with some differences.

Finding accurate information on the Net about Mormons - - - is next to impossible - - - unless you already have some real knowledge.

I was Mormon for 5 years. Non-Mormons would ask me a question - - then flat out tell me I was wrong when I gave them an answer.

I don't know why some non-Mormons think they are experts on Mormonism - - - but they do. It's weird (not the religion - - but that non-Mormons seem to think they know more about it then an actual Mormon).

I think it would be great to do a factual accurate documentary on Mormonism - - - and dispel the nonsense so many claim about Mormonism.

So, splain.....and put the wierdness to bed.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   

reply to post by Stormdancer777

They are either deliberately being obtuse, are in denial or totally in the tank for Obama to the point they would sell out the whole country, The fact of the matter is they can't handle the truth.

They are either deliberately being obtuse, are in denial or totally in the tank for Obama to the point they would sell out the whole country,

Way to take it to extremes.

TexPlease provide us a short synopsis as to why he is intentionally collapsing the econcomy, oh wise one?

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join