It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is NBC doing a Story on Mormonism Tonight?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
reply to post by Stormdancer777

They are either deliberately being obtuse, are in denial or totally in the tank for Obama to the point they would sell out the whole country, The fact of the matter is they can't handle the truth.

So people that support Obama are trying to sell this country out?

Way to take it to extremes.

And I would like to see what "truth" you speak of in the statement you responded to.

16 trillion dollars in debt? Does that help to start?

given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Their rebuttal is going to be that their discrimination is an act of benevolence as they are concerned for the welfare of their eternal (or not so depending on repentance) souls.

If they truly believe that I suppose I can understand their position is an act of kindness! It's a borderline insane and delusional one, but I can accept they believe it to be "love the sinner".

Most Mormons have a never give up kind of attitude and they believe that everyone is capable of having a testimony, so yeah they believe that actively questioning someones choices is a form of compassion, especially if this person is a family member because of the fear that they wont see them in the celestial kingdom.

It can get kind of annoying, I have been away form the LDS for about 7 years after growing up in the faith and I still get missionaries and home teachers knocking on my door every now and then and I have moved to different states, they always find out where I am

Not claiming this as valid...

But I heard from a Mormon friend that the wife doesn't get into Heaven until the husband grants the approval (through a password, or some such). Heard anything similar?

I have never gone through the endowment sessions as I was not old enough before I left the church, and there have been a lot of revision since the 19th century. I think in the room representing the veil the man representing the Lord asks you to perform the patriarchal grips which represents aspects of the priesthood, its something like that anyway...

I am currently doing research into the subject, I may just have to write a thread about it to provide further information.
edit on 24-8-2012 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Openeye
reply to post by Char-Lee

Most Mormons do not believe in separation of church and state, and honestly a large portion of the Mormon community consider a Mormon becoming president as a sign of the second coming. Mormons believe that the United States will become a theocracy ruled by Christ, as this is where Eden and the New Jerusalem is in Mormon theology.

So yes I believe that if Romney became president there would be a big big push by Mormons all over the country for stronger social conservative policies and policies that favor the Mormon faith.

Utah is probably the only state in the union where the line between the state and religion is very very thin.
edit on 23-8-2012 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

Scary stuff, but I'd vote for AnnaBelle in room 223 in Atlantic City before I'd vote for Chic Bama...(top 3 of the worst presidents ever)!

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
reply to post by RELDDIR

Thanks for the permission to follow through with what I just said

I will have to watch it now. I am interested. The documentary on Mormonism and Prop 8 was good

2016... is what you want to watch.....

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by jjf3rd77

He is shaped? How exactly is he shaped because I have seen him pro choice, then pro life. Against the NRA and then for the NRA. For socialized medicine, now against it.

I really don't think he is shaped at all.

I do think it's funny to watch conservative christians kick a pro choice christian out of office (Obama) in favor of a pro choice non-christian (Romney).

All the while a constition supporting, super candidate waits in the wings.
Vote Ron Paul. Thank you, Thank you very much.

He has no conciousness....he speaks and votes based on the prevailing winds.......

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by RELDDIR

Obama, Romney, or Paul...Whomever you vote for.....
(as long as you're honest with yourself)

Honestly I think I am done voting for POTUS. I will vote for the other 'stuff'. I don't want to contribute to what I believe to be a false belief.... that the POTUS has any real influential power. The system is vast and intricate. No way would a long established power hierarchy have people of real influence in 4-8 year terms. It's an illusion to give people a sense of control.

So you just quit. Way to man up. THIS is XACTLY what is wrong with this country.......APATHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!........aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg ggggggggggggggggggggggggg

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by RELDDIR
Every war was started to pay back the DEBT of the PREVIOUS GENERATION.

This is just flat wrong.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   

reply to post by Yosemite Sam

Personally, I believe we are more laid back, better informed

I find it an interesting point that most University professors are 'left'.

Infer what you will

edit on 24-8-2012 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

Most PH.D's are conservative. Professors never have to go out out and prove themselves in the real world...

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Who the hell said I "gave up"??? There is other ways to show action and influence than voting for a POTUS. Good God. Way to be presumptuous. I agree apathy is the problem. If as I believe voting for POTUS is non-effectual then that is erroneous to apathy. Apathy implies action would have brought about change... did you read my post? Disagree with my premise, that's fine, but to draw from it that I am apathetic is uncalled for.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Ah, the U.S. the Iran of the west. Religion above politics.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Professors never have to go out out and prove themselves in the real world...

Yeah. We can end discussion here.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Openeye

Their rebuttal is going to be that their discrimination is an act of benevolence as they are concerned for the welfare of their eternal (or not so depending on repentance) souls.

If they truly believe that I suppose I can understand their position is an act of kindness! It's a borderline insane and delusional one, but I can accept they believe it to be "love the sinner".

Most Mormons have a never give up kind of attitude and they believe that everyone is capable of having a testimony, so yeah they believe that actively questioning someones choices is a form of compassion, especially if this person is a family member because of the fear that they wont see them in the celestial kingdom.

It can get kind of annoying, I have been away form the LDS for about 7 years after growing up in the faith and I still get missionaries and home teachers knocking on my door every now and then and I have moved to different states, they always find out where I am

Not claiming this as valid...

But I heard from a Mormon friend that the wife doesn't get into Heaven until the husband grants the approval (through a password, or some such). Heard anything similar?

I have never gone through the endowment sessions as I was not old enough before I left the church, and there have been a lot of revision since the 19th century. I think in the room representing the veil the man representing the Lord asks you to perform the patriarchal grips which represents aspects of the priesthood, its something like that anyway...

I am currently doing research into the subject, I may just have to write a thread about it to provide further information.
edit on 24-8-2012 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

What I would like to know is, do they believe they will ascend to heaven as angels? In other words are they better then the rest of hummanity based soley on the fact they are Mormons?

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Professors never have to go out out and prove themselves in the real world...

Yeah. We can end discussion here.

Ok, most don't. Look at CU.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   

In other words are they better then the rest of hummanity based soley on the fact they are Mormons?

Yes they believe that. As do countless other Christian denominations. Catholics, Protestants, Lutherans, Baptists etc.....
and Muslims...

Ok, most don't. Look at CU.

I ended that part of discussion, sorry. I don't like to waste my time with asinine crap. If you make a thread expanding on this I will read it though.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Who the hell said I "gave up"??? There is other ways to show action and influence than voting for a POTUS. Good God. Way to be presumptuous. I agree apathy is the problem. If as I believe voting for POTUS is non-effectual then that is erroneous to apathy. Apathy implies action would have brought about change... did you read my post? Disagree with my premise, that's fine, but to draw from it that I am apathetic is uncalled for.

I get it, but from my perspective each and every vote counts. To just blow it off...would be like I was married to a democrat. Please vote, it's the least you can do for your country. People fight and die for that right. You don't have the right to blow it off.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   

I clearly said I still vote! Are you reading my posts? Just not for POTUS.

And no every vote doesn't count (in context to POTUS). That's what I believe. That was my whole point. Disagree with my premise if you want. But give explanation for why I am wrong.

You don't have the right to blow it off.

The right isn't freedom?

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yosemite Sam

Yes he has.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   

In other words are they better then the rest of hummanity based soley on the fact they are Mormons?

Yes they believe that. As do countless other Christian denominations. Catholics, Protestants, Lutherans, Baptists etc.....
and Muslims...

You're missing my question. As an example, Catholics aspire to heaven, however they do not see themselves as superior to other humans in the process. At some point I was lead to understand that being part of LDS made you as a follower superior to the rest of mankind, and as such you had "pre-destined" places in heaven above all the rest. Is this true?

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Guess I should wait and ask a Mormon....LMAO

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Consequence

Originally posted by Yosemite Sam

Yes he has.

Apparently we see civic responsibility differently. Maybe you'd feel differently if you'd served your country in the military.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join