It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California poised to grant driver's licenses to young illegal immigrants

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by BritofTexas
reply to post by AwakeinNM

In the hands of a non US citizen, a state drivers license allows you to legally drive, nothing more.

I have been through the immigration system so I do have some first hand knowledge of it.

But hey, why let little things like FACTS get in the way of a good story.

Just in case you missed it the first time USCIS

I'm going to refrain from name calling, but just to point out the obvious, ILLEGALS don't go through the immigration system. Wow. I think you should get a Darwin award.

Secondly, when I registered to vote in Michigan and then in AZ, I was simply obtaining or renewing my D/L and they asked me if I wanted to register to vote. It was that simple; I wasn't asked for a birth certificate or proof of citizenship. Ever.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I wonder if their new license will list them as illegal immigrants?

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by axslinger

Originally posted by BritofTexas

Your source does not mention voter registration.

I am a Permanent Resident. I have a Texas drivers license. I can NOT register to vote.

This is just another fear mongering thread.

How exactly do you register to vote? Is your driver's license different than everybody else's? Maybe YOU can't register to vote in Texas but that doesn't mean they use the same standards in California. In fact, I would be willing to bet that they don't. In fact, there are probably a few thousand illegals already on the voter rolls in California, without driver licenses. In many places, all you have to do is show your driver's license in order to register.

When I recieved my drivers licence here in California, I was given a form with my paperwork that allowed me to register to vote. I think that the Obama Administration's Dream Act provides more than just driver's licenses to undocumented residents. If I read it correctly, it grants them citizenship for 2 years I believe, thus allowing them to go to colleges, get financial aid, get drivers licenses, wellfare, and I would think it would allow them to vote as well. However, my internet is loading at speeds that would make a snail look like a Jet, so if someone could post a link showing exactly what privledges the Dream Act will allow, that'd be great. I'd appriciate it

EDIT:

The policy, while not granting any permanent legal status, clears the way for young illegal immigrants to come out of the shadows, work legally and obtain driver’s licenses and many other documents they have lacked.

www.nytimes.com... s-to-stop-deporting-some-illegal-immigrants.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

This is all I have found so far.
edit on 8/23/2012 by BulletsCantSilenceIdeas because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik
reply to post by guohua

"Anchor babies" are not the topic of the thread but "Anchor babies" are US citizens so yes they do have a right to vote.

Do you want to strip US citizens of their right to vote?

Not if both of their parents were US citizens and here legally. See what I did there? If you really don't see the difference, then we can't carry on an intelligent conversation.

Face it, the whole "anchor baby" thing is a loop-hole no different than a tax loop-hole that people exploit to circumvent doing what is right. That's why it's called a loop-hole. Furthermore, the ol' "don't blame the baby" line won't fly with me. The parents are to blame and they should be blamed for putting their child in that predicament. Are those the types of citizens you want in a society? People who exploit the law to avoid doing the right thing? People who look for an easy way to circumvent the law instead of doing the right thing? That is very indicative of their character. If the first thing they do as they enter a country is break the law, do you really believe that they are going to be upstanding citizens? What they basically said was, "Screw the US's laws, I'm goin' in anyway." Yea, that's what America is about, ignoring laws and hoping we don't get caught.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by axslinger

That means you took my jerb man....

Thought it was deny ignorance?
Lots of ignorant posts I've read here in this. They crossed the border illegally oh gosh. If it is really that big of a deal, mail the governor. Much more important things to worry about in California.

Border Patrol is not doing THAT good of a job then, eh? If we weren't benefiting from the addition to our gardening and house painting staff, they would kick them the #### out don't you think? T.T

edit on 8/23/12 by Vicker because: addad

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

That depends on the state.

My state doesn't require anything. You fill out a form and send it in.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Propulsion

Have you called the welfare fraud hotline?

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Anyone consider that the state is giving them IDs so the state can track them?

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vicker

Lots of ignorant posts I've read here in this. They crossed the border illegally oh gosh. If it is really that big of a deal, mail the governor. Much more important things to worry about in California.

Well, unfortunately, the job market (or lack there of) here in California is one of the important things to worry about here in California. I've lived here my whole life, and the past few years have been really tough in southern California as far as finding work goes. It's not ignorant to want for these undocumented residents who are here illegally to follow the same guidelines as the rest of the legal Americans did in order to live here, get a drivers license, social security number, and a job.

Trust me, I feel bad for the kids, their parents wanted a better life for them, but instead of going through the proper channels, they snuck their way in and have been manipulating our state for quite some time. In the Inland Empire where I went to school, we had 40+ kids per class in school, with one teacher. It's hard to get a decent education that way. Luckily for me, Ive always been a fast learner and taught myself most of what I know. It's unfortunate for those who could not and cannot do that themselves.

Again, I'm just stating my opinion, don't get angry. I'm just here to debate my opinions on the matter and read everyone elses. I try to keep an open mind and would like to hear everyones thoughts on the matter. (Preferably California residents, as it impacts us a lot more than it would many states, but I'd not biased, I'd like to hear from everyone)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Border Patrol is not doing THAT good of a job then, eh? If we weren't benefiting from the addition to our gardening and house painting staff, they would kick them the #### out don't you think? T.T

edit on 8/23/12 by Vicker because: addad

I have friends who work in the border patrol, and he said a lot of them get away.They're very crafty, they have long, well built underground tunnels that feed more inland to traffic drugs and smuggle people as well. Border patrol does what they can, but nobodys perfect. Especially with the B.P. being bribed to get through in some cases. Also, these undocumented residents aren't just gardening and painting, that's a racial stereotype.

I see where you're coming from, but if you dont mind me asking, why should they get a free pass, when so many other families worked their butts off to become legal, law abiding citizens?

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by BulletsCantSilenceIdeas

I'm not mad at all, i have found truth in a lot of this nonsense, but you have to admit there is a lot of BS being tossed around from people who don't understand how hard it really is to find work in California (look at my introduction, i am a new member and admit i am a struggling laborer). People come to this awesome state because there is more opportunity potentially. I do not judge anyone wanting to see their future and their family's future benefit from California's fast paced labor market.

Yes. People come here illegally. Are they coming here with nukes? With UFOs? With c4's on their chest? No. But here we go again with categorizing....it is never-ending.

There is no free pass involved.....I ask you this, who on this planet hasn't received a free pass? You?
edit on 8/23/12 by Vicker because: edited

Also that gandening and painting shi*f*t was laughable, i do both as a living as a laborer. i speak Spanish as a second language as I'm sure most others from California do....
edit on 8/23/12 by Vicker because: lawl

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

I'm not mad at all, i have found truth in a lot of this nonsense, but you have to admit there is a lot of BS being tossed around from people who don't understand how hard it really is to find work in California (look at my introduction, i am a new member and admit i am a struggling laborer). People come to this awesome state because there is more opportunity potentially. I do not judge anyone wanting to see their future and their family's future benefit from California's fast paced labor market.

Yes. People come here illegally. Are they coming here with nukes? With UFOs? With c4's on their chest? No. But here we go again with categorizing....it is never-ending.

There's always going to be the people that have extremely biased views that go both ways. Thats why I made sure I stated I can see why they'd want to come here and I do feel bad for the kids who may or most likely may not have had any choice in the matter. However, unless someone can throw me a bone on how this will benefit the majority of citizens in California or at least ensure the job market wont become further flooded and make it damned near impossible to get a job for legal citizens (it's hard enough now, i know. I jut found work after 1 1/2 years of nothing) then I see this as nothing more than a political ploy by the Obama Administration to ensure he gets the majority of the Hispanic vote.

As far as people illegally coming here, I have an issue because as Ive stated my family and most everyone else's came here legally, and it wasn't easy, but they did it. They did it the right way because they didnt want to take advantage of the country that's supposed to offer them the chance of the "American Dream", these illegal residents aren't paying taxes, collect welfare, cause overcrowding in the schools, etc. There is a reason immigration is regulated, it's so we don't have millions of undocumented residents taking what they can without giving anything back. It needs to be regulated to control population size to a certain extent, and it should be based at least to some degree on the states economy. That means both our deficit and job market.

Again, that's my opinion. I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just trying to see everyone's thoughts on the matter

EDIT: Im sorry, sarcasm isn't detectable too easily in text, I was joking along with you with the gardening thing.
I do landscaping and concrete as side work to make ends meet. I speak very little spanish, but I can speak some. As far as the free pass, not me. I've worked for everything Ive had, payed over $20,000 in taxes in 2010 before being layed off, not to mention all the other taxes ive paid since i started work at 15 1/2.
edit on 8/23/2012 by BulletsCantSilenceIdeas because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

It surprises me that someone living in NM would make this post. This is already the case here in good old NM. Illegals don't have to go to California, they are welcomed here, given refugee status in the capital, Santa Fe, a drivers license and we all know that NM is a driver license voter registration state. When you get all that plus state assisted housing, food stamps, medical and welfare and you can work tax free under the table and claim all your relatives back in Mexico on your tax why go to California.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by moonsighter

It surprises me that someone living in NM would make this post. This is already the case here in good old NM. Illegals don't have to go to California, they are welcomed here, given refugee status in the capital, Santa Fe, a drivers license and we all know that NM is a driver license voter registration state. When you get all that plus state assisted housing, food stamps, medical and welfare and you can work tax free under the table and claim all your relatives back in Mexico on your tax why go to California.

That's basically the case here, maybe not quite as lenient here. Thats what Im trying to get at, a majority of illegal immigrants are just milking the system that we've all been paying into all of our lives, and our parents, and grandparents and so on if you're families been here generations like mine. Its just a sad reality. Come here legally. Pay taxes, then get your license, find work, pay more taxes. There are too many loopholes for them to take advantage of our social services. It's no wonder we're in this financial situation we're in right now. Besides governement lies, bailouts, poor budget balancing, money laundering, etc, there are too many people (legal and illegal) taking advantage of the system. In all honesty, if a legal citizen gets caught milking the system like that too, deport them to mexico too. Even if there families been here since the country was founded

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

I commend you and your family for all y'all have worked for. I wasn't trying to argue either, but i can truly understand how it would feel to go from "wherever dem gardeneers come from" to the USA. I'd risk my life to bring my family to a better place. I do understand what you mean about the job market being a bit screwed, due to "people" willing to work for a lot cheaper than the common American man.

Concrete eh? Laying asphalt is a pain in my rear end, but i praise my young back for putting up with it!

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Whats the problem here?
Here in Canada I had a drivers license before I even became a Permanent Resident.
Driving does not equate voting.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   

I commend you and your family for all y'all have worked for. I wasn't trying to argue either, but i can truly understand how it would feel to go from "wherever dem gardeneers come from" to the USA. I'd risk my life to bring my family to a better place. I do understand what you mean about the job market being a bit screwed, due to "people" willing to work for a lot cheaper than the common American man.

Concrete eh? Laying asphalt is a pain in my rear end, but i praise my young back for putting up with it!

I agree with the risking my life to get my family to a better place too. But there is a legal way of doing that that may take a little longer, but will ultimately benefit the immigrant-turned American citizen as well as us current American citizens by allowing equal opportunity, as well as both parties paying taxes which would help pay for their kids to go to our schools, which would allow for more money to be put aside for education to hire more teachers to help decrease class size and increase the one on one teaching time that was available when my parents were in school. This could also help with hiring more teachers to help non-english speaking immigrant kids to learn English which would benefit them in life as well if they stayed here in the U.S.

It would also benefit the new citizen by ensuring that they are paid equally, rather than working for below minimum wage. It goes both ways. They are hard workers and (if they went through the steps to become legal citizens) deserve to have a minimum wage set so they are being paid fair as well. I think that if we all put in our fair share of work, and work together instead of trying to leech of the system, and we all pay into taxes and everything, life would be a little easier here.

Yeah concrete is killer. Never laid asfault, sounds exciting though :p Well, I need to go work so I can pay uncle sam some more money to give away
Have a good day bro. Nice debating with you. i love this forum

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kr0nZ
Whats the problem here?
Here in Canada I had a drivers license before I even became a Permanent Resident.
Driving does not equate voting.

Well, it's not just a license they're getting, did you read the whole thread? If not Ill be home tonight and Ill review it and set up a better reply. have a nice day

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Have a solid day at work, don't beat yourself up!!!!

You should be the damn president man. Very convincing text from you. I understand and mostly agree with damn near everything you have said.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
You want a better life?

Stop breaking the law every which way you can and expecting to get away with it.

Your house is dirty- clean it up. Dont come over here and dirty up mine.

I dont play the pity game- thats what got us into the mess we are in now.

"Its so unfair".... really? to who?

The US- nation of ALL races- yet we get called 'racists' because we want EVERYONE to obide by the law if they are to stay in this country.

...some of you dont care about all that though.....do you?

Think finding a job is hard in Cali? Try living in Las Vegas where the illegals have pretty much taken over this city because our govt is too busy not fixing the problem and looking the other way.

Preaching on illegal immigration only takes responsibility away from them and puts it on our plates.

$16 trillion in debt- and climbing. You ready to foot the bill? Im not.

- Want to down-play the seriousness of it- call them racists. That way- you dont have to explain your case- cause you dont have one.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join