It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

have you ever slept in a wal-mart parking lot?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Mrgone

Go toWilliston, North Dakota. With construction experience, u should be able to get a job very quickly, given the oil boom craziness going on up there. Bright side, no one has housing, so you won't be the only one sleeping in your car. Good luck. Remember the motto: improvise, adapt and overcome.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I have been in your shoes (many years ago) & the best I can offer at the moment is to remind your self that this is a low point & things will get better. As cheesy as it sounds, staying positive helps a lot.

-Have you tried a temp agency? You might not find something in your field, but it could be a way to pick yourself up while you work on a long-term plan.

-Think outside of the box when it comes to ways to make money. Use a hobby or something your know well & offer those services on craigslist. (gardening, painting, photograghy, wedding video's, go grocery shopping for people, etc..)

I also agree that if someone offers help, take it. Don't let pride get in the way. You can always pay it forward once your on your feet.

Best of luck to you.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Mrgone

Hey, hang in there man. I'm only eighteen, and probably the last person to be giving someone in your situation advice... but I feel compelled to tell you to just hang in there.

I just recently went to Wal-Mart and saw a woman sleeping in her car... I gave her $10 and told her that it'll be okay, and that it's always the darkest before the dawn.

I hope things get better for you, you really have my condolences and I hope that something turns around and goes your way.

Hang in there man, and take it easy. Don't let life get you too down... no one makes it out alive anyway. Eh, probably not the best timing, but it's always good to try to lighten up.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Reminds me of the Phil Collins song "Another Day In Paradise"

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mrgone
reply to post by phroziac

I'm north of Seattle.
I won't kill myself. Thanks. I had a friend in the marines who was sent to the Wizard for psyche and he came back and told one of funniest things he ever said. They asked him if he was feeling suicidal and he was confused. He said that if people made him feel bad he'd kill them long before he'd consider killing himself. Just thought that was a funny thing to say. He was good kind of crazy. We agreed we both aren't the suicidal but we disagreed on his other part.

No. I'm not capable of it and am practically Buddhist when it comes to taking life. It was just on the mental list of what's the worst that could happen. It would effect everyone I love negatively. And I'm not going anywhere before I finish my long term goals.

Thanks Brother.

Ever thought about being a trucker? Sleep in the truck... :p in a year you can work where i work, 50k a year...

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Mrgone

Sorry to hear you have those kinds of problems. I was under the impression this thread was about RV'ing, in which case, yes I have slept in a Wal-Mart parking lot in my RV while travelling between gigs (which I do sorta part time when the reasons are right). My son is also a digital arts grad (3.78 GPA) and he can't get a job in his field either either, so I hear where you are coming from. The world is a bloody mess and I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel, well, except for maybe the highbeams of that approaching truck that's coming for all of us. I hope things get better for you, I know in Canada it has gotten better for a number of veterans. I was involved a bit in the "Leave The Streets Behind" program a couple of months ago with a Legion up here. Stay strong, never give up hope.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 8/23.2012 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
In my college days my landlord sold the house I was renting without telling me. I had to sneak and sleep in the garage. I asked people I knew for help. Theres help if you look hard enough. Some people dont have cars and phones and worry about being slaughtered in their sleep so suck it up buttercup.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
There was over 3 pages... nearly 4, of help wanted in my town yesterday..... not that they are all great jobs and not that housing is that easy to find or afford.... but there are places you can camp out for a while until a job gets you back on your feet. Better to have some straws to grasp than only thin air. www.jhnewsandguide.com/classifieds.php

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
As a former marine you should qualify:

www.va.gov...

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
You're in a Walmart Parking Lot.

Ask for an application dude.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
If you are north of Seattle try this place:

www.dva.wa.gov...

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Ahhh this brings back memories for me. I have been in your situation before and let me tell you it does get better you just have to apply your time efficiently. Do and much as you can to hit up multiple spots and talk to everyone if you are comfortable with that. Casual convo to spark it and then go for the jugular. I was homeless living in my brand new car I paid for because of my roommate and his girlfriends drug issues I chose to live in my car. I could not have stayed there because there would have been jail time on my part if I had to be around that any longer. I never stayed in a wall mart but I lived in commercial district areas because. I found it more quiet. I would reccomebt this only if you are armed personally. I would put up clothes over the windows cause I enjoyed sleeping in a bit and it was getting bright early. This all was going on in the mid of winter so you already have a HUGE bonus right there! The search began daily after getting packed up and ready for the day on how to aquire a job. Temp agencies are a good place for warehouse work and pay close to or above what you need for a minimum. I would reach out to churches all day sunday and weds night are a good bet also. Retail stores are always hiring and grocery due to high turnover. The gym or day spa is a good investment when you need showers
not sure how you are with the ladoes but the day spa was a gold mine for me lol!I would just humble yourself and and ask for help from the heart. Be careful not to beg I found that it turns a lot of people off but that's a option still. The last and final thing that turned the coin for me was praying. You have been put in this position for a REASON there is not a random coincidence for you going through this. This is something that will make you a stronger person with more defined character. I wish you the best of luck and success with this experience. There are always multiple paths that will help you overcome the many obstacles you have just. To be very observant and patient with your mind and ears. Hope this helps you in some way and makes sense, really late and I am half awake.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Not to be-little your predicment OP but here in the UK you would not be able to park in

a Wallmart parking lot!

In the UK Wallmart is 'Asda' where a couple of weeks ago i did a food shop, looked at the

clothes sale and had a snack and spent £60 plus in 3hrs 10mins.....A week later i received a

parking fine in the post for £60 which would increase weekly if not paid in full within 2 weeks!!

all for staying 10 mins over the allotted time.....Hardly an incentitive to spend your money with

them!!

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
In 94 I slept in Anchorage's parking lot in my VW camper bus a night or two, but mostly on job sites through the summer. The Wallmart parking lot was just too ......I don't know...pedestrian. I don't think they still even let you now.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

It's true, there are plenty of jobs in North Dakota. You should be able to get a good paying one.
However, what people here don't know is that most of us will be in your present situation in less than 5 years from now.
Note: North Dakota jobs and most of the available jobs throughout US will be gone in less than one year time from now.

This is not just another recession/depression, this is much more than anyone can imagine.
So, in a way you are privileged to be among the first casualties, you still have a little window of opportunity left.
Not much of opportunity, but it's still there.

Now it will be up to you to decide what you'll do with the little resources that will be still available to you for the next year or two.
If I would be you, I would try to live in a group, survivalists/preppers need people, they are organising groups for future protection against intruders. Try SHTFplan.com there you could get contacts.
I am not kidding anyone here. This is very serious.
ATS members are clearly aware that the situation is getting worse by the day.
It's just that I know a few things what you could call having a hedge above everyone here because of my stock market experience as technical analyst for the last 35 years.
Believe me, the present situation is dead serious! I mean literally 'dead' serious.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Mrgone

Stop bitching and find a job

Some involve wiping ass but there are jobs out there

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Hey Dude
Is anyone paying you to be so rude?
Paid shills/trolls are usually polite.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Mrgone

I'm sorry to hear! Good luck to you in the future.
Just like that, couldn't you go back and stay with your parents for a while!

I am. I came back to my hometown after 2 year in exhile in a wonderful little town that unfortunatly couldnt provide me with enough work to stay there. So I had to come back with no money to my name, so I went back to my parents. That helped a lot to focus on finding work and a new appartment. It took over a year, but it def helped me a lot. Just to be able to sleep in a bed a have a shower is a good motivator.

The danger is...the less you have, the less energy to try to get back on your feet you'll have. Even tho times are hard for you...and a lot of others, the power o the spirit is all you need. It's sometimes hard to keep but it can mean the difference between succeeding and letting that behind you, or letting that be the boss of you!. Don't see yourself as a homeless dude....see yourself for the amazing human being that you are simply going thru hard times.

Hope this help a wee bit!
Stay strong my friend!

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Mrgone

17 months! It is not like you didn't see this coming! Poor choices. Stupid or lazy.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I too thought it was about RVing, which in that case I have. They are pretty friendly for overnighters, just park near the end of the parking lot. In Missouri they politely knock on your door and tell you to move after 9am.

However, keep your chin up, things will get better. One step at a time!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join