It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a motion introduced to place a ban on cigarette sales to anyone born after the year 2000?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomtangentsrme
reply to post by Poopooplatter

A better job? Move and become a tobacco farmer? There will be plenty of fresh air, and you can ban smoking on your farm.

Hey man, I drive to work too. I'm not condemning you, just pointing out there are better crusades than smoking and second hand smoke, especially with the margin of error of the studies ( and the samples) as they are.

This crusade is about smoking. Other crusades are in other threads.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by fallow the light

It's actually in Tasmania, Australia but rest assured it will make it's way to your neck of the woods

link   

Originally posted by aaron2209

Origina

Decisiolly posted by Agit8dChop

reply to post by DerekJR321

Can you tell me what benefits smoking has on society?

Apart from the fact that not everything every individual does needs to have a benefit on society, I would say the billions in revenue that goes towards all sorts of public services.

We know it has negatives, so it needs positives or it needs to be eliminated. Get it? Revenue could be recorded from other things like weed.

link   
reply to post by fallow the light

For starters this is in Australia, but its understandable how Americans think the world evolves around their land. So ill forgive you for that later snipe!

How have opinions ever hindered rights? Isnt it a right in itself to have an opinion and voice it?

Tell me, do I not have the right to walk around a city park and not breathe in chemicals I normally would avoid just because someone else feels they have the right to pollute the air i walk through for nothing but a chemical addication created by a fat cat corporation through greed?

Or is that too over opinionated for a response?
edit on 22-8-2012 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I love how far this thread has drifted from its original topic.

Topic is people after 2000 cannot buy cigarettes in Tasmania.

Id rather argue in the religion forum than this.

Peace out!

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Poopooplatter

Origina

Apart from the fact that not everything every individual does needs to have a benefit on society, I would say the billions in revenue that goes towards all sorts of public services.

We know it has negatives, so it needs positives or it needs to be eliminated. Get it? Revenue could be recorded from other things like weed.

Well I don't like weed so I hope they keep it illegal.

( I don't really, I'm just using the same premise as you)

Can you list your negatives? After all it's not money related and it's far from confirmed second hand smoke is a health dangers, so what is it?
edit on 22-8-2012 by aaron2209 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
reply to post by GAOTU789

same here, but think of it this way.

in 20yrs, you'll be 32 and you will not be able to buy cig's.

its going to stamp out smoking!

You mean like you can't buy pot because it's illegal...

They will just creat a black market for tobacco and make a bunch of criminals rich supplying it to those who want it.

Why do people think passing a law will prevent people from getting what they want? Prohibition has never worked and never will... Now where did I put those tobacco seeds...

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Origina

I can name positives from weed, what's a positive from cigarettes? Oh wait... You lose again.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Benefits is a good question.
I would argue Freedom of choice and self expression. As well as what is more eloquently put in these articles:
www.livescience.com...
www.forces.org...

Should I keep linking?

edit on 22-8-2012 by randomtangentsrme because: bad link

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

Tell me, do I not have the right to walk around a city park and not breathe in chemicals I normally would avoid

Who does have that right though? I sure as hell can't walk around the city and not breath in a kazillion carcinogens I would normally avoid.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Origina

I can name positives from weed, what's a positive from cigarettes? Oh wait... You lose again.

Smokers enjoy it, nicotine can have positive effects and it puts billions into your hospitals, schools etc

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally po
sted by randomtangentsrme

I would argue Freedom of choice and self expression. As well as what is more eloquently put in these articles:
www.livescience.com...
www.forces.org...

Should I keep linking?

No because your freedom can't infringe on mine. Second hand smoke. Next...

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   

reply to post by boncho

I use common sense when exercising my freedoms and the majority populace doesn't. That's the difference. You have to put laws in place so the mongoloids don't hurt themselves. This doesn't actually take my freedom, because I'm not dumb enough to smoke. In fact, banning cigarettes gives me freedom to not breathe second hand smoke. You can't turn this into a freedom argument, because it infringes on others. Ever walked behind a smoker? Waited at a street light with the windows down behind a smoker? I feel imprisoned.

Sounds like you had some traumatic experiences. Glad you don't have to work in a mill or somewhere where the breathing conditions are far worse than a waft of smoke on the sidewalk.

If we judge our freedom on air quality, we have some major problems. No one shows up to your house and blows smoke in your face, but if you are calling to outlaw tobacco there will be people showing up to a smokers house to arrest them.

What kind of free society is that?
edit on 22-8-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Origina

Smokers enjoy it, nicotine can have positive effects and it puts billions into your hospitals, schools etc

You can have nicotine without smoke.

link   

Originally po

www.livescience.com...
www.forces.org...

Should I keep linking?

Yet you can infringe on others? Interesting ideas you have, I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Nice hit on my character there buddy. Also on my countrymen.

I said "Over opinionated" Those that take their opinions so seriously, that it effects those around them.

Then ban cars, ban factories, ban wood burning stoves. So that way you can get your smoke/ chemical free air.

Start banning all those things that you don't agree with because you some how have right over others.

The air does not belong to you or any one else. My lungs belong to me though and your belongs to you.

I can no longer smoke in places of business and that is quite all right.

But stopping others in a space that is to be used freely, is letting your opinion effect others.

link   
Advantages in making smoke outlawed?
How about the cost on healthcare?

The cost of smoking to the health system alone is a very hefty $31.5 billion a year. Annually, some 15,000 of us go to meet our maker many years before we otherwise would. Think back to early 2010 when then prime minister Kevin Rudd jacked up the price of a packet of fags by 25 per cent a packet. Even that whopping increase only raised $5 billion, which is just one-sixth the annual illness bill from our vulgar little habit.

www.thepunch.com.au...

obviously this figure is up for debate, but its a starting point

In 2004–05, social costs of tobacco abuse totalled just under $31.5 billion,1 more than 56% of the total estimated social costs of drug abuse in Australia in that year. Of the total estimated social costs of tobacco abuse, 38% were tangible costs and 62% were intangible.

www.tobaccoinaustralia.org.au...

thats a lot of money spent on saving people who dont want to save themselves.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Origina

You can have nicotine without smoke.

ecigs? nah they are banning them.

Grow your own? nah they outlawed that.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally po

www.livescience.com...
www.forces.org...

Should I keep linking?

Your freedom stops where other individual's freedoms start.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

If I never smelled it would I complain? I deserve air as free as possible. I hate smoking, unnecessary emissions and all kinds of other pollutants we could avoid. If there was courtesy interest world and people did it in privacy no one would be offended.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join