It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could I???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I am very interested in invisibiity through electromagnetism. I was wondering i it was safe and possible for me (a 12 year old boy) to make an electromagnet that could make a samll model disappear.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 01:50 PM
link   
EM can't make things invsible. At least not that anyone has ever found.

If you are 12, I would only experiment with electricity with your parents' help. Electricity can kill.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 01:51 PM
link   
The Idea of rendering an object invisible with electromagnetism was for the purpose of renderind said object invisible to RADAR. It would probably take ALOT of power to accomplish. I suggest reading up on electromagnetism before you proceed. And have one of your parents/teachers help out on this. This is potentially very dangerous.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Yeah i know about the safety thing. Der if they make it invisible to radar then it would beinvisible to sight to because they are both waves of the same type just on different frequences. What i really know is do you think I could get a enough power to make a small object invisible.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 02:03 PM
link   
So you can see electromagnetic waves? Wow. Seriously, visible light and RADAR are at two different areas of the electromagnetic spectrum. I don't think a strong EM field would necessarily make an object invisible. The power required would be big enough, even for a model, to be noticable to all the folks on your block.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Hey dude.

I know that people always say that a 12 year-old and electricity should be supervised by and adult, but when I was 13, I built a solar powered portable cooler that you can also plug into a cigarette lighter socket to help charge a dead car battery. If you know what you're doing you'll be fine, but that's only if you're messing with the simple stuff, you know what I mean? 12 volts ain't gonna kill ya, heck, 120 can't! I was four, I stuck a key into an outlet, and fortunately, my reflexes shot my hand back. Yeah, it hurt for a few hours, but I didn't die. (Don't you go trying anything like that!)

You've got a thing for high voltage, high amperage power, and at 12, that's a good sign you're going to grow up and turn out to be a genius. Heck, so did I, but I researched it and decided to stay away from that sorta stuff. And you ARE right....adult supervision sounds wimpy. But were talking enough power to blow your furnace right out your roof and into the next zip code.

If this is for a science project, I would have to say no. If you grow into an intelligent person who stays in school, goes to college, and ends up in some scientific laboratory which deals with electricity, then you can try something out like that. I know you can't wait, but it's a must.

[edit on 17-10-2004 by diehard_democrat]

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Cool another 12 year old on the board. I was the first 12 year old here all others go away. J/k . It does sound a little dangerous to be messign iwht that much electricity. You should read up on the Philadelphia Project had something similar to that.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I just want to apologize, because I said "...grow into an intelligent man..." Sorry if you were a girl. I changed it back to "person".

[edit on 17-10-2004 by diehard_democrat]

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   
No, you couldn't pump that much power into a magnet to make something invisible.

Because photons have no mass and no charge, light isn't affected by magnetism (though it is affected by gravity.) Even the strongest magnetic fields don't cause the air to shimmer around them. Watch some old films where a magnet drops from a crane in a wrecking yard and picks up a car to put it in a crusher. There's no shimmering or distorting of the air around that magnet, in spite of its incredible strength.

top topics

join