It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do we still deny ignorance on ATS?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I think people need to understand WHO it is that uses the tactic of attacking the poster rather than the post itself, they are not your ordinary genuine ats members.
People talk about research, well, research those who call people names and you'll soon see the pattern.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Take a look at the ignorance that doesnt get denied . Phoney lunar landings , fake trips to mars , people who have read the quran cover to cover without having even touched a single copy .
Where lies are beleived, is everywhere - where ignorance exists is in the absence of the negation of that ignorance .
/to negate ignorance we have to determine the differences between truth and lies , training oursleves to spot and negate lies, while assimilating known truths.
liars attack on open ground when they're bad liars , and in covert personal ways when they insidious and nasty .
In real life - no one lies to me or treats me or my own badly and gets away with it . Not even a slight lie goes without reprisal . Ats is a help to me and hindrance to the liars of the world in most cases - maybe thats why they are attracted here in droves to be made summarily unwelcome - again

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
and what is with the sound effects coming from this website

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Arsenalwa

dictionary.reference.com...
the state or fact of being ignorant; lack of knowledge, learning, information, etc.

What is there that we don't know about Islam and Muslims? You can say all muslims aren't like that till you are blue in your face, it doesn't change the fact that a large segment of the muslim population are like that.

In Judaism and Christianity(remember Jesus said he only came to amend the law not change it), non believers where only punished when they harassed or attacked believers(think atheists and gay rights activists who like to troll Christians and have nothing better to do with their lives).

Islam though, is kind of like a cult. It demands complete political, social and economic control(or like Communism). And islam was spread by the sword. If it wasn't for the military conquest's of mohammed and the caliph's, Islam would of puttered out of existence like the Greek mystery cults.

In fact, the only reason islam is able to continue as a religion is because of the usage of lethal force. If muslims where actively prevented from killing people who tried to leave, within a century there would probably be less then a million muslims on the planet.
edit on 19-8-2012 by korathin because: correction in capitalizations

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Thanks everyone for your answers. Members like you all are the reason I still come on here regularly. The reason I didn't post much before is that I felt like it would change nothing. It's hard to go to a thread that I know is about a lie or a made up story and find that most people already believe it and then go against the flow and say that it's all nonsense. Most people have prejudices and won't really listen, their minds are already made up about certain things.

However I will try to do as many of you guys adviced. I know you're right. It's true that not many people from this part of the planet come on here or on similar sites which makes it easier to make up stories about stuff here and not worry about consequences, making this area of the world seem sort of isolated, like it's on a different planet. Though I think that will gradually change, the younger generations are much more open to the outside world, many with quite fluent English, as you'd already see on Twitter for example. That generation was the main spark of the revolution here. I promise they're much more open-minded than the media would have you believe. Media does use propaganda here as well but many here are becoming aware of that too, and I hope that one day people on both sides, and all parts of the planet for that matter, realize that if not all, then at least the majority of us are much more similar to each other than most people are aware of due to constant indoctrination. And I know that because I know a lot about both cultures. But for now I guess you're right that maybe me posting more on here could do some good, even if that be very few people believing me and realizing that certain stuff posted on here is not true.

Originally posted by korathin
reply to post by Arsenalwa

dictionary.reference.com...
the state or fact of being ignorant; lack of knowledge, learning, information, etc.

What is there that we don't know about Islam and Muslims? You can say all muslims aren't like that till you are blue in your face, it doesn't change the fact that a large segment of the muslim population are like that...

I think you completely missed the point. Did you read the OP? This wasn't about Islam, this was more about blindly believing everything that's posted on here. I pointed out that I didn't care about religion as I'm from a very small minority in Egypt that isn't religious - though all of us are naturally born in Muslim families as is my case or otherwise Christian families, since those are the only two recognized religions here, so I do know quite a lot about Islam - and that as a liberal I oppose religious rule here including the Muslim Brotherhood that I defended in the OP. It's actually pretty hard living as part of that small minority since you can't be open about it here, so you can imagine that in reality I find it really hard to defend the Muslim Brotherhood and religion in general, yet I did in the OP. Just for the sake of the truth. Because that particular story that was posted on ATS that I talked about was a lie and a lot of people believed it to be real. It just happened to be related to religion in a way.

And for the record, though I agree with a small part of what you said, I know for a fact that your post for the most part isn't true. Most people here aren't Muslims by force, trust me. They love their religion to the core and have complete faith in it. Egypt has a Christian minority of some 10 million from a total population of about 80 million (a minority whose rights I always defend by the way) and there are more Christians that convert to Islam here than there are Muslims who leave Islam. Also the Qur'an has a verse that clearly states just what you said, that "non believers where only punished when they harassed or attacked believers," so that too isn't true. You could research that. It's funny when Christians in particular say that stuff. Christianity and Islam are almost the same in my book, and I don't believe in both. When I was a child I once witnessed with my own eyes a man who was asking for help to flee from his Christian family who were trying to kill him for converting to Islam. It's different than the west here, on both sides. Maybe you should go yourself and visit a developing nation to see how things work there and judge yourself. I suspect that, while some of your ideas are true, you will realize that it's not just about Islam and that some of your prejudices are wrong. It's funny how it seems I'm defending Islam again when it makes my life hard here, but I'm a fan of the truth and I'm just saying. That's a completely different discussion anyway.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
"Deny ignorance" ??? On ATS these days? You have to be kidding.

ATS has become the premier internet location to showcase ignorance and demonstrate the move away from education and intelligence and the rush toward socialization.

ATS is a microcosm of the macrocosm for the ills which are prevalent in our sick dysfunctional citizens and this reality is more and more obvious to anyone with a brain. One does not become conscious by listening to idiots.

Given the ongoing attacks by Social Lemmings and Zombies on ATS these days the real meaning of their slogan should be "Demonstrate Ignorance."

Who the hell cares what the ignorant Masses think? Because they don't. And how many shallow social comments can one read before reading becomes meaningless as well? I discovered again this AM that my limit is 6.

And I now spend less than 20 minutes a day on ATS.

edit on 20-8-2012 by Brown Bear because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by XeroOne

Interesting, I have never called you or those like you Sheep or Sheeple, I see you for what you are "Dregs" and the fact that I tell you so is just a sign of my contempt and lack of regard for you "Closet Geniuses".. I have read some of your other comments here as I always do before identifying a member and there is little doubt that you are one of them and far from alone here.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
"Pics or it did not happen"
ATS is about finding conspiracies and then discussing them.
But most people seem to think it’s about taking the
conspiracies apart until there is nothing left.
It would NOT be a conspiracy if it was that easy to prove it as a truth.
So many on ATS are doing the work of the government to suppress the truth.
ATS is now self defeating.

P.S. good post.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
This is my first post in months, and I completely agree on everything you say Op.
ATS became infected with the same shallow and lighthearted mindset that corrodes free thought and diversity.
One liners, out of topic comments, poop slinging trolls, truthers, proofers, facebookers and apathy lovers became the majority of content providers.

Many of the "old school" posters just stopped posting or simply moved on, everything changes, things must be renovated or simply replaced, but the replacements have not been up to par.

New ideas , alternative discussions, and fringe topics have to be discussed freely, without judgmental attitudes or know it all tactics, its in diversity where true knowledge blooms, sure everyone is entitled to their opinion, but most confuse personal beliefs as facts.
ATS was one of the last bastions of independent thought, it became too dangerous to the system, so it was simply fed to the masses that want to standardize everything, and dont want to be bothered out of their comfort zones.

Sure its a business, and one of the dangers of becoming too popular is exactly this, in order to appeal to greater audiences, the odd loose ends must be pruned and sanitized.
I learned a lot about the complex reality of our existence in ATS, I got in touch with people that broadened my horizons, I was exposed to topics that defied my logic understanding of the world, for that I am grateful, but I am also deeply saddened at the same time, this could have been something else, and still can, but not in the same way.
Truth will always prevail, but for it to thrive and develop, much has to be lost along the way.

One day maybe, we will, be able to freely discuss, just as we did before, the mysteries of the world, taking everyone's opinions as insightful additions instead of personal offenses.
we can dream...

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Appreciate the OP's statement. Sometimes feel a bit similar. I think the majority of people just let themselves get stung by bias or don't always double check facts. Is just life.

Whilst I agree that the 'deny ignorance' motto gets over used by individual posters, I also think it is very important. It is, to me, what differentiates Above Top Secret from its neighbours in that its alternative discussion with answers in mind as opposed to alternative discussion with whatever else in mind.

We've had enough sufficient reminders from Springer etc ... that denying ignorance doesn't mean abusing those who consider fae and goblins to be real but at the same time investigating the matter with a clear mind is of importance.

I'd like ATS to keep this statement if not just for a constant reminder to educate ones self before judging an incident whether it be a photo of a goblin or simple sighting of a known star.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join