It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Top 10 "Shaking My Head" Fallacies of Posters On This Site

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Erbal

You could have made your list shorter and more precise if you just said: I don't like it when people disagree with my views.

He was mostly bitching about the bizarre anti-logic you see in some of the more rabid ATS members. I think if you disagreed with him rationally he'd probably enjoy a good argument.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by MightyPenfriend
reply to post by Xertious

That's ironic indeed. So you feel that these people that are attacking the op are actually disinfo agents trying to discredit his thread?

So disinfo agents are actually trying to trick people into not buying the OP? The OP that is saying that 911 wasn't an inside job, that coorporations are not controlling things, and that chemtrails and such don't exist?

Very sound logic.

Is there any particular government agency that would see the benefit in this?I would love to hear.

ROFL ... "these people"... this is fallacy #12, you distance yourself from your own actions as to disassociate yourself from the negative consequences.

And "disinfo" agents exist I'm sure, but this is another fallacy of conspiracy theorists. You create an imaginary cloak and dagger world where "forces" that you can't see are fighting against you - you do this so that you can immediately disregard all doubt of your pet theory without having to actually use critical thinking skills.

edit on 16-8-2012 by gncnew because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by votan
reply to post by gncnew

If you would get rid of all this.. there wouldn't be much activity on ATS. It is easier to change yourself than everyone else soo leave or get over it.

edit on 16-8-2012 by votan because: (no reason given)

But if I change myself, then I wont get the attention of pretty ladies like you, and then where am I? Besides, pointing and laughing at the monkeys in the zoo doesn't stop them from being monkeys.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by DumbTopSecretWriters
More Detailed.

Thou shalt not commit logical fallacies

edit on 16-8-2012 by DumbTopSecretWriters because: (no reason given)

Hey guy! The secret to creativity is never revealing your sources.... OMG!

I've got this one bookmarked btw.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erbal
You could have made your list shorter and more precise if you just said: I don't like it when people disagree with my views.

I could have, but that really wouldn't have said the same thing since I didn't say that other people's views are bad, just the arguments they use to express them.

Saying you're being illogical doesn't mean I even disagree with you - it just means you're being a poopy dummy head.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by kisharninmah
reply to post by gncnew

I usually don’t like it when people rant. I thoroughly enjoyed this though, right on point and funny too. S + F from me. I know people are getting upset. I don’t come here for the rants either. They are off putting, but so is a lot of the crap people post on here anyway. It does suck when the forums are inundated with crap posts. I come back because every now and then something good and interesting is posted.

Very true. I usually stay away from all the "I' have a message for you all..." or "Secret revealed READ!" threads because it just ups my "bash my head on the keyboard" feelings.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heresy
Nice list. I'd like to add (not fallacies but annoying habits of some loonier posters):

Anything that disagrees with me is a lie from TPTB, and you are an idiot to believe it. Therefore I am always right

You're disagreeing with me and appear to have a genuine understanding of the subject, therefore you are a paid shill posting here and are part of the conspiracy.

I'll ignore anything you post that needs me to spend more than two minutes reading, but will expect you to sit through the two hour long youtube video, and will say you have a closed mind if you don't, but say that I don't need to look at your evidence as it's all fake anyway.

If you successfully debunk any hoax, I'll just refuse to acknowledge that I was wrong and will switch subjects.

I won't check any 'factoid' I post and will get angry when you do it for me and expose when I'm wrong.

Switch and baiting with arguments: (Example: when insisting the MMR causes all cases of autism, and are presented with older people who have autism but no MMR, I will switch to saying all vaccines cause autism).

Believing all scientists are part of the conspiracy.

Most insulting is the last. The others are just bad manners, but the last is dangerous. Most scientists are a moral bunch who are just as concerned with forwarding research as their with own reputations. You couldn't get them to agree on the best way to measure a piece of string, let alone tow the line in a mass conspiracy. Apparently a lot of ATS members believe a phd makes you evil by definition. Which is the most Orwellian craziness yet. Ignorance good, education bad. Tragic.

The real problem is that too many people have forgotten the very real human element in their internet boogy men concepts. They create these paper tigers that are lurking everywhere and forget there are real people with real dreams, families, careers, and hopes (just like them) behind those demons they've imagined up.

It's the luxury of the interwebs.

Great reply, and I award you ONE Internets.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by gncnew

ROFL ... "these people"... this is fallacy #12, you distance yourself from your own actions as to disassociate yourself from the negative consequences.

Ah, there's Mr. Dunning-Kruger again.

Actually, I was being sarcastic. Sarcasm is often not picked up on by the less than intelligent. And what negative consequences? His post clearly didn't even make sense.

And "disinfo" agents exist I'm sure, but this is another fallacy of conspiracy theorists. You create an imaginary cloak and dagger world where "forces" that you can't see are fighting against you - you do this so that you can immediately disregard all doubt of your pet theory without having to actually use critical thinking skills.

Are you for real? I didn't make the suggestion, merely responded to this,

I like how this thread has turned to defaming OP, ironically is a supposing tactic by whatever evil agency you're trying to promote as evil.

Like I said, like watching a trainwreck.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Sarcasm is often not picked up on by the less than intelligent.

And people with Aspergers. (Aspie humour).

Seriously though; is that your main strategy here? Just rant on about how this guy is stupid because he disagrees with you? A personal attack in an argument doesn't make you right, and is generally the tactic taken by the one losing ground.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Heresy

He was saying pretty dumb stuff just now, so yes, I consider it a perfectly valid strategy.

Btw, a lot of people have multiple accounts, I have been noticing lately.

Did you notice it too?

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by MightyPenfriend

Btw, a lot of people have multiple accounts, I have been noticing lately.

Wow, you have issues with people who disagree with you don't you?

I take it that was a thinly veiled suggestion that I am gnc with a sock puppet account. No, it's just that more than one person disagrees with you. Inconceivable to you, apparently. But true nonetheless. I'm sure gnc is finding this hilarious.

You might want to check up an account's history before you start chucking accusations around. I usually stick to vaccine posts, probably a different posting pattern to him. I'm also never up this late (4.30 am UK).
edit on 16-8-2012 by Heresy because: someones name wrong1

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Heresy

I'm sure gnc is finding this hilarious.

Sure you're sure.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Sure you're sure.

Thus speaks the mind of a man who can't accept more than one person disagrees with him.

You really have issues. IF you can get them to do it, you have my permission to get the site admin to check if my IP and his are even in the same timezone (pretty unlikely as I am UK and think he is USA from his tone).

This is about the point I suggest you see a doctor for medication, as you are obviously suffering from some sort of paranoia. Or are you just a muppet who thinks this is an acceptable way to behave? Because I'm pretty sure that accusing everyone who disagrees with you of being one person with multiple accounts isn't good etiquette, even here.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Heresy

I didn't exactly accuse you of anything, and it is not about disagreeing with me. There is hardly anything to disagree with, the whole thread is baiting anyway.

I just wanted to see you write.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I agree with the majority of what you posted, especially the fallacies. Most of these trends you will find where any group of people gather to discuss, debate, or argue, and I'm sure everyone falls victim to their emotions on occasion and makes a statement that is a fallacy or just not true. And I'm sure everyone believes something that isn't true as well. It happens. Society is composed of human beings.

I have to remind myself sometimes that this is a conspiracy site, because I catch myself getting angry at the pure ignorance I sometimes read. Especially when people just accept anything at face value, like chemtrails, lol. Everything is NOT a conspiracy. In fact, very little usually truly is a conspiracy.

I honestly believe that there is a difference in a true conspiracy theorist, and someone who finds conspiracies everywhere they look, but most of the population of any region will lump the two together, unfortunately. A couple of items on your list, for instance the rich people, I disagree with. Mainly because I feel that the person making the claim truly means the extremely wealthy, and not your average "rich" person...Rich is relative, of course, but super-rich is large no matter where you are viewing it from.

To acquire that much wealth honestly is impossible. And by honestly I also mean ethically, as well as legally. Laws are broken, stretched, and misinterpreted purposefully so that these people get what they want, and they do not mind stepping on other people. Just look at the recent derivative/subprime lending scandal. A whole nation was being screwed over, both by those who perpetrated the fraud, and then by the government who is supposed to work for and protect the people. So this is what I think most people mean when they say "rich," and I leave room for that interpretation.

Research...lol. I too have noticed this trend. I use it sparingly, mainly for things that I actually know something about, and that I have spent time actually looking in to. I think people have a bad habit of forming opinions too easily. It can be difficult to train oneself to keep from forming an opinion until all the facts have been looked in to, and most people are not disciplined enough for this. It is definitely something to strive for imo. Good write-up overall, but I think you would, like myself, do good to sometimes remember that sites like this attract people who can sometimes be a little "off." Not everyone, but moreso than a non-conspiracy related site.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
This thread is like the Andy Rooney of ATS, cranky and irrelevant.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heresy
reply to post by Erbal

He was mostly bitching about the bizarre anti-logic you see in some of the more rabid ATS members. I think if you disagreed with him rationally he'd probably enjoy a good argument.

You sir are a scholar and a gentlemen - I award you TWO internets for your cunning and wit.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by TechVampyre
If you have such major issues with the majority of the poster's.. Simply leave.. You are part of the reason I don't come to this site as much anymore..

Every single time i click the new topic fire hose, It's cluttered with all these damn rants.. How about this.. Stop wasting your time ranting.. ( not just you op) and start posting relevant content..

There are rants on the Rant board? What's the world coming to...

OP: Funny, and true. Good job.

/TOA

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Actually, I was being sarcastic. Sarcasm is often not picked up on by the less than intelligent.

Are you for real? I didn't make the suggestion, merely responded to this,

To your first point, I'm astonished you would now claim this defense after the multitude of posts where you so obviously misdeed my use of sarcasm and humor - but in the words of a 3rd grader:

"it takes one, to know one"

To your second point, hmmm, maybe that was someone else who suggested I was a disinformation agent... Or maybe it was you!!!!!!

Probably just a mistake though.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

reply to post by Heresy

I didn't exactly accuse you of anything, and it is not about disagreeing with me. There is hardly anything to disagree with, the whole thread is baiting anyway.

I just wanted to see you write.

Now your coming around! You have found your laugh box again!!! ATS REJOICES WITH YOU!

And yes, I am Heresy... I actually jump accounts to hide my disinformation Angent methods... Especially because Threads like this debunk so many theories in one fell swoop.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join