It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does HBO's Fake NewsRoom go too far?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Now we get it! Now we can finally understand what goes on inside liberal hollywood heads when they hear the words, "republican," "tea party," and "conservative." If you didn't already know The Newsroom is a new show from HBO and Aaron Sorkin starring Jeff Daniels and Sam Waterson.

The Newsroom released a viral video on the internet with their fictional News Anchor going off script and ballistic claiming that "America is not the greatest country in the world anymore." As with the Youtube video McAvoy becomes a celebrity overnight and goes off into hiding while most of his staff is fired or quits. The crappy staff that remains because they either couldn't find a job or were too stuck up to go anywhere else, decide to create an unscripted news show, not following the establishment model and covering the stories they want. Sounds good right?

They may be onto something as The NewsRoom Clip of fiction anchor Will Mcavoy got nearly 5 Million Youtube hits once you count all the video clips of that one 3 min segment. This is not bashing Sorkin's work as its usually pretty fast paced and unemotional with one dimensional characters (look no farther than The Social Network).

It seems during every scene NewsRoom finds some way to hammer the tea party and other characters hammer republicans. Somehow forgetting that the tea party does not = all republicans. Yet, a lot of the moderate republican I have met are exactly like Will Mcavoy the gun hating, womanizer who has a mission to bash every tea party person that comes on his show.

Newsbusters does writeups about The Newsroom if you want to take a look at some of their criticisms.

newsbusters.org...

newsbusters.org...

All of this actually doesn't bother me. It's quite entertaining to watch if you are not an ideologue and know that everything they are talking about is fake! It's not how the news operates, it's not how normal people speak to each other, a republican would never make a black gay man cry on live TV etc...

The show is really funny if you are a republican, but I do have one caution to add. Through the last half of the show, they apparently forget about their own consciences and their new format. They apparently need to cover Casey Anthony because nobody is watching news about anything else and they lost half their viewers. (I was cheering silently) Whatever happened to the new show format? It was thrown out the window because Jeff Daniels' character wants to "Change the way debates are done," by hosting a Republican Primary Debate. They need to show the GOP that they are a reputable news network.

Now, I don't know what they are planning to do for the debate and by all signs and accounts its looking like they are saving that for the finale. I may not watch it, because I respect what my fellow Tea Party members have to say, even if I don't agree with all of them. You know its going to a be a republican bashing extravaganza.

I've had some die hard republicans and conservatives tell me that they called their cable or satellite company to get rid of HBO but Bill Maher is there too so he may have something to do with it. If you watch it you would find it funny. I do, but yet, its hard to piss me off. How far do the liberals need to go? There is some shinning hope though. The Koch Brothers have to do business with the CEO of the company that owns ACN and the CEO is now in deep SH*t for phone hacking her own company. She tells them to tone it down otherwise Mcavoy is fired.

Not to mention that there is this annoying but hot asian mid-day anchor who wants to talk about economics and only uses government bailouts as the only way to save the world!!!!

So be warned if you are watching NewsRoom. Don't be fooled by the liberal media machine. All republicans are not idiots or act like those portrayed on the fake news show

edit on 13-8-2012 by jjf3rd77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I love this show and I don't see as much partisanship as I do truth, that affects us all. Granted they do explore a bit of punditry for presentation, but I just like seeing the inner workings of an outlet making the change from old school news without flavor to the new sensationalized versions. Last night's show was awesome the way they broke down the Nancy Grace piece. It was an excellent example of spin and opinion that MSm outlets do, and are encouraged to do for ratings. No wonder it's a mad mad world out there. I wanted to bring just that part of the show over to ATS in an educational effort.
A LINK for streaming the episodes.

Here is a link for last night's show and at 28:43 is where the "spin" begins it's unfolding with an analogy. I know they are using Nancy for an example and yes I will acknowledge they all do it...
edit on 13-8-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
I love this show and I don't see as much partisanship as I do truth, that affects us all. Last night's show was awesome the way they broke down the Nancy Grace piece. It was an excellent example of spin and opinion that MSm outlets do, and are encouraged to do for ratings. No wonder it's a mad mad world out there. I wanted to bring just that part of the show over to ATS in an educational effort.

Yeah I figured the ATS people would bring that up.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jjf3rd77

Yeah I figured the ATS people would bring that up.

In what spirit do you mean? ATS people that like to see behind the curtain of the spin doctors(from either side) or ATS people that lean left?

link   
It's a great show. I don't feel that it's partisan or particularly slanted one way or the other, but I can see how if you're into the tea party/Koch brothers/Bachmann scene you might feel that way.

link   

I love this show and I don't see as much partisanship as I do truth

So the "truth" is MSM fear mongering about people and politicians who oppose Democrats? All this show does it repeat their tild old talking points and attacks on Americans who aren't Democrats. The tea party crap is the perfect example.

OWS was violent and extreme, not the tea party. And yet, the tea party is the target of HBO and the MSM.

Originally posted by Monger
It's a great show. I don't feel that it's partisan or particularly slanted one way or the other, but I can see how if you're into the tea party/Koch brothers/Bachmann scene you might feel that way.

SO DELUDED! I dont even know where to start.
edit on 13-8-2012 by PvtHudson because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
No. The speech was corny. It would have been really good if he didn't start going on about how the USA used to be great. The USA never stood up for what was right, or waged war for moral reasons. Script was probably written by a baby boomer.....

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by PvtHudson

So the "truth" is MSM fear mongering about people and politicians who oppose Democrats?

So you are going to generalize the entire show from one episode eh?
Why did you have to put 'democrats' in that sentence? As I said, the truth, for me includes any and all injustices.

"So deluded" eh? How about starting with facts, even if it sheds a negative light on your stance. Most of your posts are belittling and attacking(just read your last 30 posts) and you cry and whine about criticism yet you continue to do the same thing. Two wrongs don't make a right. You are always in attack mode, just like the pundits. I hope the rage does not blind you, as it did me for years arguing talking points til I was blue in the face. Let it go man, or you are playing right into their game of division.

OWS was violent and extreme, not the tea party. And yet, the tea party is the target of HBO and the MSM.

OWS has not happened yet in the shows timeline. I am sure they will address it in the next few episodes, so hang tight,you may be surprised in how they handle it.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

So the "truth" is MSM fear mongering about people and politicians who oppose Democrats?

So you are going to generalize the entire show from one episode eh?

When have they ever gone after OWS, Democrats or Obama? Not at all? Thought so.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   

LIke I said the OWS has not yet occurred in the show's timeline. Maybe you are right, this will turn out to be a left leaning show, but I see it as accurate in the workings of a newsroom, and I guess they are portraying the MSM, and the Nancy Grace bit was to show how their competition achieves higher ratings, which are the right leaning shows.

The way I see it, the left is better at movies, shows and documentaries, whereas the right is better at punditry, spin and radio. The difference , imo, is the right pundits(not the whole conservative movement) are just nastier and more bullyish about things, with labeling and categorizing.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by PvtHudson

Originally posted by Monger

Your not knowing 'where to start' says a lot more about your thought process than it does about mine. If the best you can do is toss around buzzwords with zero substance then what more needs to be said, right?

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

You cant convince a brainwashed sheep to see the light. Even when they hear facts, they counter facts with opinions and believe they are facts.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
The liberal media does not like to target or talk about Obama much... I don't know why, maybe there's a secret distaste they have about him. Someone who promised so much and did nothing, but, yes. MCavoy and company never go after Obama or the democrats. Always tea party.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   

In what spirit do you mean? ATS people that like to see behind the curtain of the spin doctors(from either side) or ATS people that lean left?

ATS people love to analyze the news and draw their own conclusions about why things were edited they way they were. I didn't mean anything by it. That's just the way this community is.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by theconspirator

Now that's not very nice, but I get your point. I just think it is wise to not do that which we disapprove of. Yea it's a struggle for sure when it comes to politics. I think many get blinded by hate, and are fed up with the overall general madness to the point that they assume such a position of defensiveness,(I know, I have been there) that even true scrutiny of their side goes unappreciated.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Indeed hombre

We(me also) all get so defensive too, but it comes with the territory I reckon. I just think it is important to be able to momentarily set aside emotion and analyze what is presented. I too need to do this more and it is a work in progress.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I think the thing you have to remember about this show is that it focuses on fairly recent news stories. The main character is a republican, he makes that clear over and over again during the show. When the show brought up the tea party, it did not take cheap shots it portrayed reality. They claimed to be for the average American and free from corporate influence yet the Koch brothers was on of their biggest donors. He did not support the tea party because of his beliefs as a republican. The only reason the tea party came up was because it was big news during the time period the show is portraying. Im sure when it gets to occupy wall street they will do something similar.

But outside of all the tea party business it doesnt really focus on political parties. Its not demonizing republicans and making liberals look good, the news show portrayed does FAIR reporting. Which means the stories it portrays will not support the left or the right but present the facts. I think its funny some of you feel like it makes republicans look bad, I guess that shows you probably prefer faux news bias over reality.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

The tea party isn't extreme? It is made up of right wing extremists who were sponsored by fascists.....
edit on 13-8-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by acmpnsfal
The only reason the tea party came up was because it was big news during the time period the show is portraying. Im sure when it gets to occupy wall street they will do something similar.

I hope you are right. Knowing the liberals they will probably just go past OWS as most of them don't even know how bad and dirty it got. OWS is a failure. Liberals don't like failure unless they can find some way to twist it around to say that it is good. So, who knows what they will do. But Will Mcavoy really doesn't like tea party people because he feels they are taking over his party. (Not really sure what is so republican about him though.)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjf3rd77
. Knowing the liberals they will probably just go past OWS as most of them don't even know how bad and dirty it got. OWS is a failure. Liberals don't like failure unless they can find some way to twist it around to say that it is good.

Wow, I mean very biased and bigoted view of liberals. On one hand you accuse liberals of lumping all tea party extremist together with the main party, then you do the exact same thing yourself about the Liberals.

I am Canadian so I don't really care about your political affiliation, I am just calling out hypocrisy.

I like Newsroom, it's a lot closer to reality that you might like, and that makes people uncomfortable.

The statement about Liberals not liking failure, unless they can spin it in their favor is a solid statement, but it extends to ALL political parties, including GOP and Tea Party.

I believe the little banner says deny ignorance, not feed it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join