It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Autosave? Anyone have ideas?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I've been working on a project here for about the last 7 hours or so....hit save. Wait. Saw it apparently save then rebooted. Gone... Everything .. Gone.

This is adobe illustrator. Can anyone offer ANY suggestions for a system of regular autosaving? This save failed. It cost me a nights work for appearing to save and not doing it. Autosaves may do it too...but the same period of time would be anywhere from 4 to 40 opportunities to have gotten it right and not dumped my work into nothingness.

I'm sure I'm not the first one to lose major work like this after being sure...and SEEING the program respond and perform as if a full save had, in fact been accomplished. Short of dropping clear out and going to explorer every single time I save to be sure Adobe isn't screwing me....I'm open to about any ideas.

I was rebooting...so I could come here and post what I'd just spent the night finishing. Thank GOD I hadn't been all day on it. I do have over 3 days into it..so that isn't impossible to have seen happen. ARG! I'm just at wits end,,,,,,and with Adobe based college courses starting back up in a little over a week...Oh this is just beyond unacceptable. It could cost me a course grade to have their software PLAY save and not really do it.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I dont know why programs don't save documents as you type them. They should only delete themselves if you tell it to. Even on website comments, if you're logged in, it should save your comment, even if you dont post it. I dont know of any programs. but just wanted to comment.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
get a load of these links: answers.yahoo.com...

oops

"You'll find your temp files (in XP/Win2000) in C:Documents and SettingsyourusernameLocal SettingsTemp"

There could be hope yet
edit on 11-8-2012 by jeantherapy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by xxshadowfaxx

Yeah, I'm spoiled.... I'm used to programs like Word that do autosave. That one runs a 5 minute save cycle so I can never lose more than a few hundred words... No biggy. Oh I'm just so furious right now I could throw it out a window. I can recreate everything, but that isn't the point. The inches of stapled packets I have to go through all over again now and page by page transcribe...all over again..oh.. I'll PAY for a program if Adobe can't handle the task of protecting work...

I'm just hope of all the folks here...someone has solved this problem.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I write and I just developed a habit of manually saving every time I light a cigarette. I found that associating the process with a ritual that I do every so often helps me avoid data loss.

~Heff

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
You could also program a kind of macro that would just perform the save function on a preset interval without your having to remember constantly.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Always Save As when doing projects. For example:

BlueprintFirstFloor081220121206AM.pdf
BlueprintFirstFloor081220120145AM.pdf

and so on.

That way, you can always go back to a previous point in case you need to re-work something.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
Always Save As when doing projects. For example:

BlueprintFirstFloor081220121206AM.pdf
BlueprintFirstFloor081220120145AM.pdf

and so on.

That way, you can always go back to a previous point in case you need to re-work something.

^^ That ^^

Always have multiple copies of important documents. And if possible, multiple copies spread out on different drives, like usb thumbdrives, CDs, other hard drives, etc.

Yes, Save As, is a very good suggestion. After you do the Save As, reopen it in another instance, to make sure your changes were saved.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
@ Yahtzee and Jean

THANK YOU. I can't believe I've already been through 3 classes for a semester and never even heard the Action function mentioned in passing. It's now set to save every 90 seconds, indefinitely. I'll never be seeing that happen again!

Unbelievable.... Adobe is one of the single MOST expensive pieces of software on the consumer market and they can't handle something as basic and simple as autosave.

I can't thank you all enough though. As furious as I may be at the prospect of watching the sun come up...yet again..from behind my keyboard. At least I KNOW I won't be doing all the graphics and all the text and layout a 3rd time. I just didn't know how I could do it all over again if it was going on the same hope, prayer and joke of a belief that their save would work...after seeing it so spectacularly fail. (make note to self....Some software needs double and triple checked like a child...doing chores.
)

Thanks again. I really am grateful. You're all a lifesaver on this one!

*Stars for all who helped and have a good night. I'm off for round 2. Hopefully my first project can be done sometime shortly after sunup.
edit on 12-8-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Good luck mate, though I had rather been wishing for some kind of miracle and your files would appear to save you the trouble.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by jeantherapy

Believe me..I looked.. Unfortunately, the advice offered above was for a different Adobe and Windows setup. Maybe it would have worked for what someone mentioned on the temp files... On I sure tried. (System searching by file date/time.)

Oh Well.... I've calmed down. I can't stay THAT enraged forever. It's tiring!

The end result though? I'll call it a very very hard learned lesson and those are the ones no one forgets right? I believe it's safe to say you could ask me about save problems decades from now, on my death bed...and THIS will come to mind.

*Now I'm tired... Time to find myself a 5hr energy carrot and get back to work. It's not recreating itself I suppose. (I waited to see if it would... really did... it's just sitting there.)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I wanted to come back here and update. The directions for the auto save action are working perfectly. It's been saving a test file out of Illustrator now, every 90 seconds like clock work since the last post here. That has worked on either monitor, behind other windows, minimized and even docked with a Mac like docking module I use. It still runs it's little Action sequence, no matter where it is or how low a priority in system config it is.

The advice around here can be priceless on rare occasions...and this is one of those. If anyone else has problems as I described in the OP, don't hesitate to give the solution a shot. It's perfect and worked without any tweaking or modifying. I just followed the directions in the guide precisely...and whammo. That'll be the last night of work lost for a save error.

new topics

top topics

join