It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US defense firms could push forward with sending layoff notices

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

US defense firms could push forward with sending layoff notices

thehill.com/blogs

Despite administration warnings that notices related to sequestration were unnecessary, Lockheed Martin and Pratt & Whitney are continuing their preparations.

Lockheed Martin and Pratt & Whitney are going forward with plans to issue layoff notices to thousands of employees due to looming defense cuts under sequestration, despite administration claims that such warnings are unnecessary.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on Sun Aug 12 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: to use source, not the blog, investmentwatchblog.com...

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
This may sound like terrible news, which in turn is, but this is basically what Ron Paul wanted to do. Also 4 other departments, including education. From the ashes of failure, rise success.

So, if this goes down (biggest layoff in recent history), is this a step forward or back?

edit on 11-8-2012 by CALGARIAN because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Anybody with a sane and logical thought process cannot Possibly expect this vastly inflated economy to be propped up forever.

These pink slips, as unfortunate as they may seem is the market and economy attempting to balancing itself.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I personally believe this is the type of pain this country has endure to get back on track. Unfortunately, I can't fathom how we'll weather the number of employed this will cause and the economic ripple this will cause.

In other words, while defense cuts are part of what we need to do, I don't know how we'll handle it in order to get to where we need to be. It's a sad situation.

I note that the entitlement programs were only BOLSTERED prior to cutting the actions that increase unemployment, and therefore, increase entitlement-dependent families. It's kind of back-asswards. In fact, it's real back-asswards.
edit on 8-11-2012 by Valhall because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Forward!

It has to be done. Yes I feel terrible for anyone that loses their job for any reason that isn't their own but when they took that job they knew exactly who they were working for and what they were helping to get done. If they didn't ... ignorance is no excuse. I hope these people find more fulfilling work in the near future. But there isn't a doubt in my mind that this is a move FORWARD for the world.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
With a country that spends so much on it's military, it's probably a good thing. I do believe it's healthy to have a strong defense force but not so large and powerful that it can afford to have several wars on the go as well as meddle in the affairs of every second other country on the planet whilst spying on it's own citizens.

You poor American taxpayers are footing the bill for most of it and it MUST be hurting the economy.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by OZtracized

Agreed strong defense is necessary, strong offense is not

American empire is too big these jobs shouldn't even have existed in the first place. I hope people understand this

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Seems a tad late to me this should have been done when they hatched the Blimp idea. And to think I laughed at those Iranian flying boats.

Lets just hope they cut the jobs that makes the most since. Can`t have all chiefs you know.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
This isn't the military shrinking. it is it restructuring.

Viva la Xe!!!one

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by eLPresidente

Well... the best defense is an even stronger offense!

See ya,
Milt

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

That's what I was going to say. I'm sure that many of these jobs will simply move to private contractors.

For those jobs that are actually cut - it's a necessary evil. So many of these jobs were at the expense of taxpayers anyway. I'd rather cut these jobs than police, fire, teachers, etc.

The replies are at least heartening to see, people get it. Cold comfort for those that get pink slips though...I hope they move onto other great opportunities.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
It's so funny how this is "shocking" the readers...as if it was never going to happen.

Seriously...did everyone think that all the jobs reports were true?
Did they think this spending could go on for years and years?

I don't understand how this comes as a surprise to anyone.
We need a cut back drastically. We can't spend our way out of debt.
Or war for that matter.
Oh wait: We never declared war, but the people still think we are in a "war".
They also think that spending trillions of dollars every few years in these "wars" is necessary.

When actually it is exactly what is causing the majority of our debt.

I also love this tidbit:
When this current administration cuts back spending its a positive, newsworthy, dramatic detail.
When Dr. Paul talks about this, it's detrimental to his campaign, and a terrible idea.

Great job MSM.
You have the population right where you want them.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN

One Million Layoffs: Department of US Defense Prepping Notices

investmentwatchblog.com

Lockheed Martin and Pratt & Whitney are going forward with plans to issue layoff notices to thousands of employees due to looming defense cuts under sequestration, despite administration claims that such warnings are unnecessary.

U.S. defense companies planned to start handing out pink slips in November under federal mandates outlined in the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Act, due to the anticipated $500 billion automatic cut to defense coffers are set to go in place in January.
(visit the link for the full news article)

I can envision large herds of disillusioned engineers leaving their chevettes in traffic jam gridlocks and wrecking hovoc throughout LA, Ocean City or whatever like in in the movie "Falling Down" hide your gym bags of guns citezens!!

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
you forget. you should now pay less Tax.
should.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Eventually every ponzi runs out of money... I mean really ... let's be honest.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I wish I could believe that, but I have a feeling that money will just go to other military related projects... If Dick Chaney is still around, It's guaranteed.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
This isn't the military shrinking. it is it restructuring.

Viva la Xe!!!one

profit taking ......

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I speculate this is all part of the end game plan. Gut the military simultaneously collapsing the economy in one fell swoop.

As I have stated before - want to have a revolution start messing with the benefits of the millions of veterans with loads of combat experience in the past 10 years. Take away our benefits (because this will rest assured be part of the budget cuts) and many of us will have little to lose for rebellion.

Then they can declare martial law - set game match, check mate etc.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by eLPresidente
reply to post by OZtracized

What is it makes the best defence again....it's on the tip of my tongue...oh...yeah...the best defence is an offence.

Why would you only want to fight your wars in your own territory??

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddha
you forget. you should now pay less Tax.
should.

As I understand it you should now be paying the same amount of tax.....and all that extra spending won't have to be borrowed any more.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join