It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Implications of Time Travel and Parallel Universes

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
No doubt this has been brought up and discussed before somewhere but I'm going to present my theory differently.

Disregarding for a second the "grandfather paradox" of time travel and acknowledging parallel universes I suppose:

If time travel were at any point in the future to become a possibility, then all timelines past-present-future would all immediately see the effects and evidence of such a discovery would be immediate. Why? Well, because at that point...time is irrelevant. Just as teliportation would render distance as irrelevant....

Now the evidence that would manifest the second time travel was possible would be a "merging" of what we would perceive as a "time-line" from past to present to future...

If 200 years from now Agent X travels back in time 120000 years and manipulates that part of time in any way, the ripple effects from that interaction would be evident from then on throughout time obviously...The evidence of that manipulation could appear in many different ways such as:

Ancient Anomalies

Screw 300 million years old...
ATS thread on above link

Antikythera

Footprints in granite:

ATS Thread:
Time Travelers Foorprints

Ancient Tech:
Egyptian Light-Bulb

the list of linear time related anomalies and general historical anomalies is much larger but the above is simple an example of such.

Back to "Agent X" since he is capable of traveling back to any point in time he wishes, when and how long it takes him to do so is irrelevant as every time he travels back in time it is imprinted into that timeline and exists in the future.

Now lets take into consideration "aliens" and the "ancient gods" and any other multitude of historical and present "mysteries" and substitute "time-traveler" and there can be a whole new theory or understanding of what exactly is going on.

If time travel is ever possible it has always been possible or at the least evidence of it throughout all history in more and more timelines as they interact/manipulate more and more parts of the past. How long it takes them to interact/manipulate the past is irrelevant up to the present as the effects of that manipulation will have always been there from the get go since the present is a sum or culmination of all past events.

The question I leave all of you with and to discuss here is that is it possible that the ancient gods were all time travelers manipulating the past?

Is the ancient to present UFO evidence merely future humans visiting past humans and interacting with that environment to create or effect the future environment to progress it in the direction they wish?

Is possible that there are no aliens just humans from the future??

Is it possible that all of our recorded history to the present was contrived and planned from the future? If that is possible wouldn't the future then be creating the past then recreating the future?

and if all that is possible, wouldn't it imply that time is an illusion and irrelevant and the segregation of it into segments then doesn't make any sense...time wouldn't be linear as we perceive it but would more be circular...

of course all this hinges on time travel even being possible...

its either not and never has been and never will be...OR...it is possible always has been and always will be...

edit on 11-8-2012 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Soon as you go back or forward, you are on a different world-line.
edit on 11-8-2012 by CALGARIAN because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
Soon as you go back or forward, you are on a different time line.

Yes but as time travel is done infinitely in the future wouldn't the manipulation of the past infinitely "saturate" the past timelines?

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
The correct answer is of course time travel is not possible or even a realistic concept. At least, not how you think. The "science fiction" version of time travel is not possible. One scientist proposed that if a "time machine" were ever invented, that time travel would only work in and around such a device, and only in the time frames in which it existed.

Watch the film: Primer. It goes very, very in depth with realistic time travel and the actual implications of such a phenomenon.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Here is how time travel would really work:

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
you can't travel back to something that doesn't exist anymore.

pretend calenders and watches don't exist. where are you going to go.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Funny how you ignore what you think is a problem. Why would you do that?

Second, the bigger problem is that you cannot travel backwards "in time".
Time is simply a way of measuring rate of change, and actually a somewhat blunt tool since "it" doesn't behave as we once thought. Hence, time doesn't really exist per se, it's only a way for us to distinguish one state of the universe from another.
The only way to reverse the universe is to actually reverse every particle, but that wouldn't make anyone younger. "Time" would move forwards, and we'd just reverse everything as it would have been an incorrect play in some sport and try again.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
"Is the ancient to present UFO evidence merely future humans visiting past humans and interacting with that environment to create or effect the future environment to progress it in the direction they wish? "

for this to be true,.,.,. from the beginning of the universe,, man evolves on planet earth,, the first linear timeline of progression had to have been uninterrupted right? because its the first time,, no future has happened yet?

but your saying regardless,,, if man exists right now,, there is a potential he will exist in a 1000 years, and there is a potential he will travel back in time,, and if that potential is high,, then it is likely that man of the future will travel back in time,.,,.,.

i guess what im thinking is,,, does this mean that the entire future of all future exists physically somewhere and somewhen, now at all times always and forever?

also this is a reiteration of my first though im thinking for a time traveler to have gone from the future to the past already,, say went back in time from year 5000 ad,, to the year 5000 bc ,.,.,. ignorantly unknown to the people of 5000 BC 10,000 years of future has already occurred,, how do they exist in that past? , if the future the time traveller came from is the now moment we are familiar with living in, now,

all this leads me to believe time travel is not possible,, because time is a physical phenomena, describe changes which cannot be changed back which cyclicly is the definition of time and why it is perceived as a forward progression linear phenomena,
edit on 11-8-2012 by ImaFungi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaFungi
all this leads me to believe time travel is not possible,, because time is a physical phenomena,

Actually, time travel is not possible because time is NOT a physical phenomena.
If it was, it would indeed have physical properties to be manipulated, but it does not. It's just a tool.

Regarding time as a part of the universe is what makes the Theory of Relativity hard to grasp.
That "time slows down" in high speed is what makes "time" an akward tool.
I hope to be able to make a presentation in the future that makes all this easier to get.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Time itself can't be breached. However, if one could discover how to move in space-time, now you're talking.

You'd have to move to that place in the universe, when and where an event happened, but do so instantly.

Good luck with that!

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Sorry to jack this tread for a second but I was wondering if anyone had heard of the theory that time travel was possible in an original time line. I came across a post a while back which had this wild theory that originally World War 2 never happened and the British Empire grew really large and corrupt and eventually started a nuclear war with the US and Russia. The survivors of that apocalypse went back in time and brought Hitler to power in order to prevent the end of the world. I have searched and searched and cannot find where I read this so if anyone has also heard of this I would love to know where it is from.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

i definitely think that time travel is possible.. especially in the future..

but i also think that there are certain laws in the universe that do not allow people to time travel and cause damage or effect the past because that would ultimately mess with time and the future of how things are supposed to turn out..

i take it back to GOD and how he made time.. the past..present..and future.. so if someone was not supposed to travel back in time and change things then it will not happen.. but if "agent x" traveled back in time and changed things in the past then it would be something that would have to happen..

but if by chance this happened and it broke this certain law that ruins all of mankind or.. whatever.. then my theory is that time would have to start over.. because it didnt turn out the right way GOD had planned it.. so he would have to try this whole experiment again and see where things went wrong..

ultimately.. i think it all comes down to GOD in all of this though

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ctdannyd
Time itself can't be breached. However, if one could discover how to move in space-time, now you're talking.

You'd have to move to that place in the universe, when and where an event happened, but do so instantly.

Good luck with that!

Everyone and anything can move in space-time. You're doing it right now.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Your ideas are flawed.

All observable points in the universe are immutable and indestructible.

Whatever point of origin you have will remain the same regardless of what changes you make in any point at any past, on any world line, in any universe.
You can always and forever go back to any and every point you have directly observed and that point you have directly observed will always be just as it was observed.

In this reality, in our observable and observed universe, we have never observed time travel, and since so, we will always observe that there is no observable time travel throughout the historical record because it has already been observed as so.

edit on 11-8-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Consequence

all this leads me to believe time travel is not possible,, because time is a physical phenomena,

Actually, time travel is not possible because time is NOT a physical phenomena.
If it was, it would indeed have physical properties to be manipulated, but it does not. It's just a tool.

Regarding time as a part of the universe is what makes the Theory of Relativity hard to grasp.
That "time slows down" in high speed is what makes "time" an akward tool.
I hope to be able to make a presentation in the future that makes all this easier to get.

that would be nice,,, if you want to save time on creating that presentation,,, just tell people you made this

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

"All observable points in the universe are immutable and indestructible.

Whatever point of origin you have will remain the same regardless of what changes you make in any point at any past, on any world line, in any universe.
You can always and forever go back to any and every point you have directly observed and that point you have directly observed will always be just as it was observed. "

whered you get this idea from?

and whos that in your avatar?

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

whered you get this idea from?

It's very simple. Once something has been observed, it cannot be unobserved.

If you make a time machine, then travel back in time to destroy that time machine, you have simply created an alternative space-time point that will continue on in it's own fashion. You would still be able to go back to the point where you finished the time machine, or any other observable and observed point.

You could travel to the point in time just before traveling and kill yourself before you ever pressed the button to start time travel, but, the fact that you've already pressed the button to get to whatever point you decide you want to get to is an observation, so, no matter how many times or ways you try to kill yourself or destroy your own time machine in the past, you are only creating alternative points in space-time.

Every observed point in space-time is like an indestructible photograph. You can make copies of the photograph, make changes, destroy the copies or alter them beyond recognition, but, the very original point in space-time that was first observed will always be there to go back to.
Every time you make any attempt to change the original observed reality of any space-time point that's been observed, you only result in the creation of a copy.

This is why we don't see any evidence of time travel.
We have already observed our past and that observable past shows no observation of time travel.
You could go back in time and make sure that Ancient Egyptian cultures survives into modern days, or make it where Hitler won WWII, save the Titanic, prevent JFK from being assassinated, or any number of things, but, doing so only creates new observed space-time points that continue on their own separate courses without ever altering or changing the original observed point or time-line.

You could thus make whatever reality you want to make, and follow it, or forget it, without ever worrying about ever being able to get "home".

edit on 11-8-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphenFire

Hi, do you know where I can find this movie?

to the OP: I believe time travel is possible but only through one's conscious, because it is a subjective experience. Just like when time flies when you are having fun, or when you are bored, it drags on. Or when you sleep, (deep sleep) time can fly by like nothing. Whether a machine could spark time travel in someone's head is one thing, I think I have already done it with my dreams.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
What you are all not understanding is that *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - time is more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

I hope that clears up this whole paradox thing, after all, if you can't trust The Doctor, who can you trust?

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaFungi

Actually, I wasn't talking about time dilation. Time dilation is part of the "problem", the bigger problem is the bending of space-time.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join