It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Screw 300 million years old! Who built it?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Gawd, some of you are unbelieveable! Anything that cannot be explained is automatically put in the hoax bin or debunked
I think there are members who enjoy debunking threads. No I know there are members who do nothing but try to debunk threads.

Only bunk can be debunked.
Therefore,if something can be debunkerised it is bunk.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
I love ooparts!

So far I am convinced they are the result of either

A) time travel

or

B) seriously flawed dating techniques...what if carbon 14 dating is totally bogus?

If B... then you know what that means ?

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Ok this is my issue with this Carbon Dating stuff...A rock is formed and since it has been formed it has gone through some changes and movement.

How can someone come out and say that 300 million years ago someone made this screw, or tapered a rock into a screw....300 million years ago. Isn't that just the age of the rock alone?

Please can someone explain to me how someone can Carbon date a rock?

1. How can you tell a Rock is a MAN-MADE 300 million years old?
2. How can we really know that a rock was worked on/made 300 million years ago..I

Is there some Carbon 'handprint'?

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by skepticconwatcher

I love ooparts!

A) time travel

or

B) seriously flawed dating techniques...what if carbon 14 dating is totally bogus?

If B... then you know what that means ?

I believe it is. The age of the rock can be determined, but the age of the rock when it was worked on? It's some small minded BS.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

Thank

you.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
Gawd, some of you are unbelieveable! Anything that cannot be explained is automatically put in the hoax bin or debunked.

nonsense should be debunked, it is your own problem if you believe bunk,

No wonder Mankind is so damn stupid but what can I say when so few Earth men can use 10% of their brain!

uh we don't use 10% of our brains, that is a myth. we use all of our brains.
oh there i go debunking again!

edit on 12-8-2012 by demongoat because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by TotallyFEDup88
Ok this is my issue with this Carbon Dating stuff...A rock is formed and since it has been formed it has gone through some changes and movement.

How can someone come out and say that 300 million years ago someone made this screw, or tapered a rock into a screw....300 million years ago. Isn't that just the age of the rock alone?

Please can someone explain to me how someone can Carbon date a rock?

1. How can you tell a Rock is a MAN-MADE 300 million years old?
2. How can we really know that a rock was worked on/made 300 million years ago..I

Is there some Carbon 'handprint'?

well first you need to realize no one carbon dates rock, you can't carbon date something that doesn't have carbon.
they use many radiometric dating methods including argon-argon dating, potassium-argon dating and a few others.
these methods work by measuring the decay rate in isotopes from the time of the rock formation or crystallization.
it could be used to date the rock around the object, but not the object. it of course doesn't matter, since it isn't a screw.
the "object" is part of the rock, it is a fossil.
all so called so-called OOPARTS turn out to be concretions and the people that find them lie about their age.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Hmmm ... maybe, just maybe ... a meteorite hit the earth, somewhere in the 18th century, and it's hot moldet rock engulfed an iron screw on the way down. The heat and impact motion, engulfind and instantly fossilising the material.

Similar to the "mars" rock, remember that one?

Carbon dating, is about as accurate as guessing ... it's only property is "relative" dating ... meaning, A is older than B, but a trillion things could have happened, that altered the carbon decay ratio ....

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   
All of these OOparts are always on foreign websites with absolutely no scientific testing done on them. Where are the peer reviewed studies?

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   
We built it, maybe the Screw fell/slipped through somekind of small naturally occurring worm hole, produced due to the fact that the Earths spin warps space and time around the planet. Just my two cents, would greater minds care to chime in?
edit on 12-8-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

This was easily explained. No conspiracy, no aliens, not a screw but a crinoid fossil. Very easily explained.

Raist

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

Metal cannot fossilize, this is rock. It is a crinoid fossil no one made it aside from nature.

It was at one time a living creature related to modern brittle star.

Raist

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
Gawd, some of you are unbelieveable! Anything that cannot be explained is automatically put in the hoax bin or debunked.

No wonder Mankind is so damn stupid but what can I say when so few Earth men can use 10% of their brain!

I guess certain boll***s is not entertained by half sensible people, you now rather than them going out of their way to debunk. Unity a page or two back is a prime example of how not to put your posts together, stating verbal diarrhoea as fact, this kind of thing only leads to frustrations.

Of cours keep an open mind, but having so much **** to Wade through only keeps people back. I was quite enjoying the thread, I find stuff like this more interesting than little shy green men flying over the US in silver discs.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

They would be laughed at in a peer review. Anyone with any credibility would not agree with this story. At best this is a joke, at worst there is someone who is very stupid writing articles.

Raist

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

yeah it only counts for stuff approved by the Vatican

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   
how can you carbon date a rock?
isn't carbon dating based on the degradation of the carbon of a living organism?
they didn't carbon date the pyramids!
they can only tell how old a rock is by when they think it was formed.
there was a bell found in a lump of coal that was dated at 300 million years old!!!
explain that!
just google 'ooparts' (out of place artifacts)

cool find though!

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

ooooOOOOooooOOOOoooo

I got this imagine in my mind as I read that post. What if everything IS renewable. We think the earth is pollutated, and yes it is, but once we have had our run and get wiped out, the earth goes back to what it used to be and heals for further civilizations. Almost like everything melts back into the earth to be reused.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   

I love ooparts!

A) time travel

or

im going with b 3oomillion years old my ass good obs

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by MassOccurs

If their isn't other life out their in some form, whether it be water based or not, it would seem go against the odds. But you can't assume that their is life out their just because statistically it would be a good guess. Just because you believe something, doesn't make it so. But i would find it a greater mystery personally if nothing else lived among the vast universe.... For now, lets look at what is real, the new pictures that curiosity sends back to earth everyday. It may not be as exciting as thinking about other life forms, but it is real.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

I have heard that it is only effective up to a certain date (and not one that is that far back either).

It's probably a junk screw that has some old rock on it. I honestly don't understand how carbon dating works on rocks or anything that wasn't a living organism.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join