It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Driving to a food bank?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
I don't know of any solution. I do know, retirement for me, is a dream of the past. I'll be working until the day I die.

I'm looking at the same bright future, then again being active is supposed to be good for you

So much of my savings have been eaten by higher property taxes, new county taxes that seem to pop up like weeds.

Man, that sucks. We are paying a lot in property tax, got a few hundred back per year when we grieved the tax.

As to retirement.. There was a nice overview a few days ago on CNN, best places to retire. Well, not in the United States. Apparently, what remains of your buck can still go a long way.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
so des people have WIC Checks in your state for fifty dollars??

and you do relize that some recipients of food stamps have a cash portian that can be spent on ANYTHING right?
i understand your bitter about all the taxes you pay sheesh i feel same way it never ends

but dont take it out on people just trying suport a local vender. im shur your soaps are of higer quality and probly are more of a value than something from say dollar stors.

thay(gov.) are gonna take our money regardles whos on assistance ya know

and most people who recive food stamps welfare wic have all paid or will at some point pay into our system

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by jplaysguitar
so des people have WIC Checks in your state for fifty dollars??

and you do relize that some recipients of food stamps have a cash portian that can be spent on ANYTHING right?
i understand your bitter about all the taxes you pay sheesh i feel same way it never ends

but dont take it out on people just trying suport a local vender. im shur your soaps are of higer quality and probly are more of a value than something from say dollar stors.

thay(gov.) are gonna take our money regardles whos on assistance ya know

and most people who recive food stamps welfare wic have all paid or will at some point pay into our system

Regardless of what you say. The WIC program in use at MY farmer's market specifically EXCLUDES the purchase of NON-food items. I refuse to sell non-food to someone with a WIC card. They look like a credit card sweetie....

You can spout platitudes of "oh it's just breaking a the law a little bit" all you want. You are wrong. And, it's attitudes like yours that make it easier for the one's who do misuse the programs, to continue to do so.

Des

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

okey i just asked becaus i know that here WIC does not come in credit card form. only ebt/food stamps wic is seprate and promotes good nutrition fot Women Infants and Children
but Ebt card often will have foodstamps moneys and if applicable welfare moneys almost seems like maybe you dont know the difference and hey thats fine free country i beilve even if thay had legal welfare money you could still refuse service being its your shop
and in no way am i saying its okay to bend a rule or break them even if its small

im just saying it can off as sounded very rude to people who are just trying to suport YOUR business
while im on the subject
i speak on this because ive been on the receiving end of a rude emberasing store clerk/s over 13 dollar WIC check.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
I heard a program on NPR this morning, and the text and audio are available at this link.

I have to say I'm glad that food banks are there to help people in need, and although I myself never used them, at some points in my life I had to make do with extremely limited resources. Which brings me to the phrase in the article that ticked me off: apparently, serving a lunch to your kid is a burden. Well duh. So is parenthood in general.

I'm a father and I've cooked for my kids on many occasions. If one doesn't have much money, is it still a financially mortal blow to cook some beans and rice? A baked potato with a dollop of sour cream? Lettuce and tomato salad for a 8 year old? A two-egg omelette? Maybe it'll run you a whopping 40 cents.

I really don't get it. One drives to a food bank to collect food, burning a non-trivial amount of money as gasoline. At the same time, they have trouble spending a few pennies and a few minutes of their time to feed the kid.

What's wrong with this picture?

edit on 9-8-2012 by buddhasystem because: (no reason given)

I highly suspect you have never had to go to a foodbank. I have never been angered by a post on ATS, until now.

You sir, are an ignorant SOB with no idea what poverty is like. Try living pay check to pay check for YOUR ENTIRE LIFE.

Guess why you need to go to the food bank in the first place buddy? Your rent is sky high, your pay at your job is low, and GAS FOR THE VEHICLE THAT GETS YOU TO WORK COSTS AN ARM AND A LEG.

I hope you get to experience it one day.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
And for the record, people DONATE to the food bank, so it's no skin off your back. I got judged just for being there, got handed some corn and told to find a job (despite having one and needing something to eat until my first pay check).

If ATS is about denying ignorance, this thread should be nuked.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Op the poster above makes a great point would like for the people to sell there vehicles in order to afford food
yeah i can imagin folks eating there dont consider it a free meal as thay have to feel humiliated looking for a hand out

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I have to say, I don't see what difference it makes if it's a card, ticket or check. If someone is on assistance for food they need to pass up the luxury items like designer soap and use some common sense. Legal to buy or not, it's idiotic.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

I worked with a lady once that made me feel sick, literally. I've never come so close to hitting someone in the face.

She specifically had kids to get more money in welfare payments, and free food. I know this because she bragged about it.

She signed her kids up for WIC, that's the program where you get stuff like milk, eggs, cheese, and tuna for free. She was also on food stamps, which is a debit card now. She would go to the store and get all the stuff she could on WIC. Then, with the debit card which is good for any food, she would buy lobsters, steaks, all kinds of higher end food. She would also go to the food bank. Their meat wasn't good enough for her, but soup cans, pastas, and veggies were.

She would cook elaborate meals (paid for by the debit card) for herself and her husband. What did her kids eat? Tuna, or mac and cheese. Only the food she could get them with the WIC program, that's it. While her and her husband ate lobsters, right in front of them. And she BRAGGED about it.

Her poor kids ate better with the free school program she had them on than they did at home.

Oh, and don't go off thinking that "at least they had food for the kids" or "it's a good thing welfare like that exists for poor kids that would starve anyway." Because in her case, it doesn't apply. She lied to get on all those programs. Her husband made like $4k a month in cash but they only reported her income, which was something like $2.5 or so. How do I know...cause she BRAGGED about it.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

you do know that sometimes people will lie or embellish when thay BRAG?
sounds like said lady knows just how to push your buttons

lol

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by torque

right ether way at least thay are able to buy food thats whats important.
now money saved on food thay can by all the designer soaps thay need. thats like people who say if you use foodstamps it better be blan tasteless food no high end stuff
i swear so many people get green with jealously becuas the the new parents are smart enough to take advantage of programs thay quality for
seriously it will evryone some good to stop watching fox news!

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Now, when someone on assistance for food for their family is out shopping, and they try to buy the products I make to sell, so I can support MYSELF, and keep PAYING TAXES, and they want to spend OUR TAXES on luxury soaps I make, starting at $5.00 per bar, and going up from there....well...it chaps my A$$.

Why not stop with the holier than thou diatribe just because you pay taxes....Are you special...I think not...the ONLY reason you pay taxes m8 is for one reason and one reason alone....YOU HAVE TO.

Taxes are not a choice...it is a forced means of taking money from people....under the guise of you get something for them....A load of baloney...what you get is the ability to fund Armies so that you can then go over to foreign countries and use those very people so that you can be provided with cheaper goods...nothing more...nothing less.

Now most food banks are not run off tax dollars are they....Most are set up by church organization providing this service...So how about you keep your tax dollars you so proud of paying and see how long it is before your arrested.

People in many cases are actually suffering...yes there are always a few that will milk the system...but if they are milking it for some lousy tins of beans and some bags of rices and day old bread...why would it matter really....The bankers bilked people out of literally billions and we bail them out....yet we cannot...and begrudge people for bailing out the people who require these ESSENTIALS the most...because i can honestly i have come accustomed to two things in life.....BREATHING...and EATING....So i ask you which just one of those two things you can do without.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Do you think i wouldnt fight tooth and nail to change it? They never offered me that #. They dont give it to anyone who deserves it at all. And do you really think your country is in thr right? So they force you to be a slave to them? I could dive to freakin brazil right now if i wantrd to. Thats freedom.

Originally posted by geobro

Originally posted by phroziac
i used to go to the foodbank. i had a car. The foodbanks around here would give you quite a decent amount of food if you told them you were a family. What really burned me up is for a while my parents were going...and my dad always wanted us go bring him a freakin moolatte from dairy queen wtf?

But when i really needed it, it was just me. The church was on the same block and i lived at a downtown apartment with no parking, and the road didnt actually go all the way to the church, but the sidewalk did. Woulda been farther to walk to get my car than go to the food bank.

Welfare gives people free cars here as long as they can flunk an iq test.

Lots of people that dont need the food go. It really pisses me off. my ex used to all the time.
wow free cars for people on benefits & free cell phones too & they call the uk a nanny state .a lot of working people over the pond cannot afford to drive gas is $10 a gallon $4 for a 2 mile bus trip god bless america

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeadSeraph
I highly suspect you have never had to go to a foodbank.

You suspect it? I say so in clear text right in my post. What's up with your reading skill, Sir?

You sir, are an ignorant SOB

That's the height of style! Or trash. I haven't made up my mind. Prolly, the latter.

with no idea what poverty is like

Sir, I had to live on 50 cents per day for something like a month, and on not much more for many months after that. I did farm work at age 14, and that was in a different country where frankly life sucks compared to the US.

And you lecture me on hardship and perseverance? Get lost.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeadSeraph
And for the record, people DONATE to the food bank, so it's no skin off your back. I got judged just for being there, got handed some corn and told to find a job (despite having one and needing something to eat until my first pay check).

If ATS is about denying ignorance, this thread should be nuked.

And I think you need to learn to read, because it's the second time your reading comprehension skill registers at around zero. No wonder your life sucks.

No one here is bashing the idea, principles or usefulness of food banks. It's the poorly planned and gratuitous use of those that makes some people unhappy. Now, back to your corn.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
As far as Im concerned if the US can shell out $2.5billion for some pictures of rocks on Mars then I say ALL food should be free everywhere for everyone...This probably sounds like a rant but it is what it is...
edit on (8/10/1212 by shells4u because: added something

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by shells4u
As far as Im concerned if the US can shell out $2.8billion for some pictures of rocks on Mars then I say ALL food should be free everywhere for everyone...This probably sounds like a rant but it is what it is...

3000 million dollars
divided by
300 million people

= 10 bucks a person. Yes, this will by you two ice cream cones at a county fair.

Did I put things in perspective? By the way, pictures from Mars are great, definitely worth a few bucks.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Or you can spend the 8$ to drive to a food bank to get SEVERAL meals to provide for your family.

Why is it any of your business?

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   

$2.5BILLION FOR FREAKEN NOTHING!!!!!

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
You really can eat cheap if you are a bit creative. Shop sales, use coupons, price match and you are eating for peanuts. It is convenience foods that kill the budget. I cringe when I see a basket loaded with microwaveables which are so low in nutrition and so high in price.

Last night we had meatloaf, broccoli with cheese sauce and home-made bread. The whole meal cost $5.27. Plus we will get another meal and my husband will get a lunch out of it. So cost per serving is 75 cents.

I think offering shopping/budgeting?cooking classes along with food stamps would help eliminate a lot of the reliance on the food banks.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join