It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why It’s Wrong We Send Robots To Mars And Why People Should Not Follow

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
To reduce spending on scientific enquiry is to cut off your nose in spite of your face. If you want to make the world a better place, then we need MORE spending in the areas that will contribute, not less.

Also, the money to cure poverty has already been spent, many times over - it ends up lining the pockets of currupt individuals who need to keep populations hungry to keep them malleable. Throwing good money after bad is not the solution, a fundemental change in political attitudes in many third world countries is what is needed.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
If you add together the total cost of sending every rocket, satellite, rover and man into space and beyond since the inception of the space program it equals roughly the amount of money the Pentagon spends in 8 weeks.

I think you've got your priorities as to where money should be diverted from completely backwards.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
If you add together the total cost of sending every rocket, satellite, rover and man into space and beyond since the inception of the space program it equals roughly the amount of money the Pentagon spends in 8 weeks.

I think you've got your priorities as to where money should be diverted from completely backwards.

Excellent post sir. I'm worried by how many people share OP's viewpoint, It boggles the mind how NASA's allocated funds can be criticized. The US defense budget was $1.19 TRILLION in 2011!!

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Well, I'll sure agree with you on this thread. When questions arise on costs of these projects, the question should be asked "what real benefit do these explorations have for mankind." NASA will chuckle and say " but look at all the benefits of our research"--------seems like computer design and engineering happened in the private sector not NASA. The rest of their research has led to developement of things that tax the environment. We can learn from some of these expensive projects but not Mars or the Moon. Monitor our atmosphere and learn how the sun reacts with earth. Learn to push away an asteroid. Show some return for your cost instead of filling our heads with nonsense about mars while you empty our pocketbooks. Everything comes down to the consumer and the taxpayer, all donations to NASA are in leau of taxes to our government so that means all of NASA's budget is taxpayer money.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Where do your get your information from? Take into account the money NASA gets from tax deductible donations from everywhere and you will find the true cost. The redirected money from our tax base could be used to pay down our debt. We can't just keep charging things in this country without paying for them. Necessities first above all means. Get rid of the loopholes that give these organizations and some colleges an unjust amount of money at the expense of the taxpayer. Would you rather cut K-12 or cut medicare and reduce Social Security benefits or go to Mars. Work before play..............................................

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Historically, the space race has created lots and lots of good paying jobs.

The only risk involved is the people that actually get shot up into space.

There will always be poor people, hungry people and people that just have less. If you took the money that was spent of space research and instead gave it to the poor, the poor would be happy for about a month and they they would be poor once more.

I think that money spent on poverty is mostly wasted while money spent on research has the potential to benefit the entire human race.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by Kryties

Would you rather cut K-12

I would like to see all federal funding of K-12 cut altogether. Full stop. That should be up to the states. Space exploration itself inspires the younger generation to aspire to greatness in math and science. Go read a kid's book about space written 40-50 years ago at the height of the space race and compare it to a book written today. The level of detail and depth of today's books pales in comparison. People craved that kind of education back then, today we ignore it and even deride it.
edit on 7-8-2012 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Required01

Well. your point would make more sense if it were 'This isn't the right time, wait for the crisis to go then start discovering' because if you wait for the world problems to be solved and then to start discovering, it won't happen ever

Also how about this was planned before the crisis started? They had to finish it, since it isn't about doing everything when the crisis started...

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Required01
Ye i , ofcourse possebility

rediculous sadning kan

desasters vulcano's

ofcourse

You forgot to mention the lack of worldwide schooling, in your opening post. Selfish!

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

There are many people who are offered a helping hand and shun it, not everyone wants your charity. Although I agree with your point about world hunger etc. You're pointing your finger in the wrong direction. The space programme is pocket change.

I have said it many times here and will say it again: 'Have you not been paying attention?'.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Actually space programs stimulate the economy and help generate new scientific breakthroughs. This has given a lot of people a job and the cost will be made back many times over as projects like this drive many sectors of these advanced industries.

I used to think the same. Why send rockets to the moon when people are starving? Well we already have the tech and money to potentially feed everyone on the earth, it's just this is not how things work atm which IS wrong, I agree with you in that principle. However it's not so black and white. Technology is what will eventually set us free and save us so we need to invest in these kinds of projects.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

I mean come on, the unemployment rate in the U.S. is at it's all time high. people are loosing there jobs, homes. Not to mention all the other problems.

So you would rather put the thousands of people who where responsible for building and launching this space probe out of work. So let's put them out of work to. That should help the unemployment numbers don't you think.

You might want to do some thinking before you post nonsence. The technology you used to post this nonsence came from the space program, along with alot of other technology that we have in use today. How do you like your cell phone. How about we do away with all the good things which have come from the space program and go back to dictaphones and land lines for phones so there will be more jobs. No computers no smart phones.

$1.00.......Here's a dollar, Buy a clue.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trueman
I never believed they send robots to mars to search life or blah, blah, blah. They know they'll make a profit in more than one way.

Also, they need where to bug out when they're done screwing this planet.

You are right, we need that money here, but they control it.

We do not need any money at all. What we need is a complete system change and getting people to take responsability for themselves and their egos and stop parasiting on each other. The egoparasitic power pyramid will always fail. Capitalism in the world now, Soviet Communism, feudal kings, represantiv democracy. All part of the power pyramid and all faulty.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh
If all people thought the way you do, we'd still be banging rocks together and going urgh urgh to indicate danger.

Stay in the past if you want. We'll carry on exploring.

This has nothing to do with banging rocks, it has to do with being selfish and not helping people who live in poor conditions.

I think the U.S. should rather spend that 2 billion on there own people, improving healthcare, providing jobs, etc instead of 1 robot that could very well have crashed during landing and been lost!

Like i said before, i love technology and i don't want to stop research on it, but let the private sector invent and fund. Let the government spend those absurd amounts of money in there own country before waisting it on a robot.

Why?
Then you'djust complain Cocoa-Cola Aerospace came back from mars with a martian artifact or creature in a bottle and patented its dna. " You didn't go to Mars by yourself! We built the bypasses and interstatesyour engineers used to get to work!"

Believe it or not, but that robot is paid with your tax money. I would rather see my tax money go to improving the community and my friends having jobs, health insurance. And not just for people with money, but for common folk as well.

Me: I'm perfectly fine seeing my tax dollars expanding all of mankinds knowledge. You can assume all you want you don't KNOW something until it has been verified.

Ofcourse you are intitled to your own opinion, if you believe that helping your own people comes second to things as space exploration that's your call.

edit on 7-8-2012 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
If there is anything we should be spending tax dollars on it is space exploration.
You want to support the human condition?
The only way to do so is through massive decentralization and massive cuts to the dependence inducing welfare state. People are not as pathetic and useless as liberals like to believe.
You want "progress"?
Mars is it.
Government help for he poor is the quickest and surest way to enslave and debase them.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Yes and No.
look at all the silly things people buy.
TVs, digetal watches, moblie phones, computer.
would have all this tecnoligies have come so for
if a great deal of people wonted them.

But yes it is now wasting resorses.

and why has it all hapend in the last 200 years?

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by troubleshooter

I remember a wealthy man being criticized for spending a million dollars on his daughter wedding...
...but think about where the money went...
...it was spent on a venue and flowers and food and people to serve it...
...hundreds of people benefitted from the expense ... same with the Mars robot.

and who ...

exactly 'benefits' from this .. I surely don't.. !!! If i do.. I must have missed something..

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
the robot only costs $2 billion because it is not their money to pay for it.

it is why every bolt on the robot probably ends up getting billed for a $1000 a piece.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I think we should remove the tax exempt status of all religions in the United States. If we taxed the greedy churches, mosques, synagogs and temples we could feed the worlds poor.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join