It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why It’s Wrong We Send Robots To Mars And Why People Should Not Follow

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Ye i agree, it is great to learn about our universe and the planets around us. And ofcourse don't forget the possebility of life on other planets!

But sending 2 billion dollar robots into space, with all the people, fuel, etc it costs is rediculous while so many countries and our global economy is in this horrific shape. I mean come on, the unemployment rate in the U.S. is at it's all time high. people are loosing there jobs, homes. Not to mention all the other problems.

Then we still have the Euro crisis, Greece still unable to recover, Spain doing terrible as well. Then we have the world's poverty, it's sadning really. People not having anything to eat, drink or even a roof over there head. And instead of helping them, we blow 2 billion on a robot, i mean how selfish kan men be.

All the natural desasters happening, like big storms, vulcano's erupting (New zealand after 100 years), heavy rainfall worldwide,etc. Insurance claims go true the roof, and nothing is being done about it.

I think it's time people stop being selfish and start to progress here on earth first, before we progress in space exploration. We are killing this planet, letting people suffer while we can help them in stead. Sometimes all it need to help is men power, not even money. A helping hand can do wonders to help people in there struggle.

This is my feeling on this matter, i love technology, space and the fact that there might be other life out there. But that does not mean that we need to neglect our problems here on our blue planet. First things first, get our world running properly, and then explore space as a united world. It save a lot of money per country, because costs are shared if it's done united.

We don't need to fight, or dictate how other governments should run there countries, we should work together to improve life all over the world, and help other governments in the right direction to run there countries in a civilized manner, ofcourse keeping there religions in tact.

Thanks for reading.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   
If all people thought the way you do, we'd still be banging rocks together and going urgh urgh to indicate danger.

Stay in the past if you want. We'll carry on exploring.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Required01

I remember a wealthy man being criticized for spending a million dollars on his daughter wedding...
...but think about where the money went...
...it was spent on a venue and flowers and food and people to serve it...
...hundreds of people benefitted from the expense ... same with the Mars robot.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh
If all people thought the way you do, we'd still be banging rocks together and going urgh urgh to indicate danger.

Stay in the past if you want. We'll carry on exploring.

This has nothing to do with banging rocks, it has to do with being selfish and not helping people who live in poor conditions.

I think the U.S. should rather spend that 2 billion on there own people, improving healthcare, providing jobs, etc instead of 1 robot that could very well have crashed during landing and been lost!

Like i said before, i love technology and i don't want to stop research on it, but let the private sector invent and fund. Let the government spend those absurd amounts of money in there own country before waisting it on a robot.

Believe it or not, but that robot is paid with your tax money. I would rather see my tax money go to improving the community and my friends having jobs, health insurance. And not just for people with money, but for common folk as well.

Ofcourse you are intitled to your own opinion, if you believe that helping your own people comes second to things as space exploration that's your call.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I never believed they send robots to mars to search life or blah, blah, blah. They know they'll make a profit in more than one way.

Also, they need where to bug out when they're done screwing this planet.

You are right, we need that money here, but they control it.

link   

Originally posted by troubleshooter

I remember a wealthy man being criticized for spending a million dollars on his daughter wedding...
...but think about where the money went...
...it was spent on a venue and flowers and food and people to serve it...
...hundreds of people benefitted from the expense ... same with the Mars robot.

True, but that is a 1-day deal, yet for that same million dollars, complete villages would have a year's supply of healthy food, and clean drinking water. You know the basics of life! But like i said, everyone is entitled to there own opinion, and money clouds better judgement because of greed.

I know it's easy talking when your not sitting on loads of cash, but this is how i feel about it.

link   

Eh, 2 billion is not really that much and would in no way solve the financial problems the world is facing at the moment. That amount could probably feed a lot of people in third would countries though. But NASA has had its budget cut over and over again, so I don't think it would be fair to take more money away from them. We should go after defense spending.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   

You do know that what happens today with exploration, defines the future?

You can take money off exploration and fund it into the homeless, but you'll never alleviate homelessness.

And it's just stupid to hate what exploration is doing now, because the governments are slack in helping those who need help. There is MORE THAN ENOUGH to do both.

way more.

I'm not a US citizen, so it has nothing to do with my tax dollars either. Small minded people.. sheesh.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
This is our destiny. We're either going to go far out there, as a unified people, or we're going to commit suicide on a global scale.

We can send robots to Mars in the meantime. If the world keeps money, which it shouldn't, but as long as it does, it shouldn't cut corners on things like space exploration. What is it that the most money goes to and is the most useless of things? Military, of course. There's your problem. So if people were collectively on a higher level, that is, stopped being stupid and quit fighting each other, then what would a military be useful for other than being attack dogs for greedy people? Protection from alien invasion is about the only thing, and good luck with that.

So no, there's no reason to stop us from going out into space. If anything, we should do it a lot more often. Maybe then we'll learn to pull together and realize the splendour and wonder that exists outside the atmosphere of our egos.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh

You do know that what happens today with exploration, defines the future?

You can take money off exploration and fund it into the homeless, but you'll never alleviate homelessness.

And it's just stupid to hate what exploration is doing now, because the governments are slack in helping those who need help. There is MORE THAN ENOUGH to do both.

way more.

I'm not a US citizen, so it has nothing to do with my tax dollars either. Small minded people.. sheesh.

Yes, and that can wait a year or 2, it's not just homeless, maybe you did not read my OP. And you call me small minded, really?

The economy is terrible worldwide, so no i have to say there is not enough for both, otherwise it would already be done. I'm not a US citizen as well, but every country has there own problems, thats a fact.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by acmpnsfal

Eh, 2 billion is not really that much and would in no way solve the financial problems the world is facing at the moment. That amount could probably feed a lot of people in third would countries though. But NASA has had its budget cut over and over again, so I don't think it would be fair to take more money away from them. We should go after defense spending.

I'm not talking about 2 billion dollars to save the world, but to spend it in there own country helping there own people have a decent life. Houses are being taken away by banks like weed in a garden, simply because people have no jobs anymore and cant pay it.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   

All the natural desasters happening, like big storms, vulcano's erupting (New zealand after 100 years), heavy rainfall worldwide,etc. Insurance claims go true the roof, and nothing is being done about it.

It seems to me that this all makes for the best reasons to continue and even accelerate off-word exploration and projection. A lunar settlement would be nice and the Elements in the surface material may be very useful as I understand it. However, if other planets may have any possibility of supporting our lives, it might be a really good thing to find. 2012 should at least have people thinking that direction.

2 Billion spent when trillions are being thrown around strikes me as fairly well spent here... Just my opinion.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Ok, but NASA already does not get that much money from the government. Plus, they are working towards the betterment of mankind and the expansion of our knowledge. What does defense spending go to? Blowing stuff up.. Wouldn't it make more sense to cut back on some of that to help the people within out own country?
edit on 7-8-2012 by acmpnsfal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Dismiss the immature insults OP. Regardless if they disagree, you still make a valid point.
Don't forget where you are, the soulless do lurk and they only want to discourage your thoughts for their own selfish gain. How a conscious human being can believe themselves and say "2 billion" would do nothing for anyone on earth is simply unrealistic and delusional.
Yet I will not deny that space exploration has its benefits and you'd think that if "we" were aiming for the "were so cool, we're such an advanced species" thing, that we'd have our # together before even attempting to leave the atmosphere. It is laughable.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Enjoying that device you used to submit this thread OP? You could have donated the cost.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightWarrior11
Dismiss the immature insults OP. Regardless if they disagree, you still make a valid point.
Don't forget where you are, the soulless do lurk and they only want to discourage your thoughts for their own selfish gain. How a conscious human being can believe themselves and say "2 billion" would do nothing for anyone on earth is simply unrealistic and delusional.
Yet I will not deny that space exploration has its benefits and you'd think that if "we" were aiming for the "were so cool, we're such an advanced species" thing, that we'd have our # together before even attempting to leave the atmosphere. It is laughable.

I know, and everyone has the full right to disagree. Like i said before this is how i feel about it. Without changes it's only getting worse. Regardless of our planet mankind will fail, even on other planets with the selfishness, greed and power we have now.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
Enjoying that device you used to submit this thread OP? You could have donated the cost.

Should this be conciderd comedy or sarcasm? Like i said before, i love technology and don't want to stop the research on it. But guess people don't really read here huh?

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Before you form such an ignorant opinion, you should perhaps realise that the amount spent on this mission or any other is a tiny fraction of the Governments budget. The cost of war alone is astronomical:

costofwar.com...

You should be diverting your attention to criticising topics such as that rather than one of the few things a small amount of money is well spent on.
And if you're another one of these ignorant people that can't understand how missions such as this are beneficial to the human race, I suggest educating yourself.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

Not to mention, the money they spend goes to companies who use that money to pay employ salaries, who in turn spend that money, mostly, in America. Which, last I checked helped our economy. lol

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Required01

I mean come on, the unemployment rate in the U.S. is at it's all time high.

No, it's not at its all time high. It is not even close to the all time high.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join