It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why It’s Wrong We Send Robots To Mars And Why People Should Not Follow

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   
I'm sorry, you say spend that money on the populace. Here in the UK our yearly spend on welfare is upwards of 180 Billion, that figure is ridiculous, so 2 Billion is money well spent imho. I'd rather spend 20 Billion on exploration and less on welfare but hey thats just my opinion.

Welfare entitlement is one of the reasons the world is in the state it's in at the moment, when you have to borrow money to keep that entitlement going there is something wrong with society i'm afraid
edit on 15/09/2011 by FFS4000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
its all fake money being spent so i dont think it matters anyway

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
i think the better question is why would we when the rovers can take all the same readings
that a human can, and many times faster.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
There are several issues here with your line of thinking.

First of all, the amount of money spent on the rover, let alone the money spent on ALL of NASA is completely insignificant compared to the amount of money blown on all manner of utterly useless, and in most cases destructive things. While the few dollars NASA gets could feed, clothe, or house a small percentage of people for a small period of time, if we are SERIOUS about these major problems you list spending NASA's budget on something else would have zero effect. It's pennies compared to the national budget. And throwing money at a problem doesn't ever seem to help. Actually changing the way things operate and changing people's paradigm is much more effective, and cheaper.

The greed of the few is what's causing the strife in today's world, not the couple of dollars spent on NASA to further the knowledge of Humanity as a whole. Of all the things the government spends money on, NASA is almost in last place as far as something to cut, in my opinion at least.

Second of all, space exploration and developing new technologies generates jobs, it advances our species as a whole. Increases our global knowledge base, and allows us to do things that 100 years ago people would think impossible.

If we as a species want to live on, we MUST constantly advance our space program. Regardless of what we do here on earth, eventually we need to spread forth from this rock we call home and colonize the rest of the Galaxy. This is quite literally the ONLY way for our species to survive. While going to a nearby planet seems insignificant towards the goal of colonizing the Galaxy, it's a step in the right direction.

We didn't start out manned flight with Jumbo jets and supersonic craft. We started out with some sticks glued together and covered with cloth. Over time we advanced the technology to what we have now.

Someone has to take the first step(s) and spreading out into our solar system is that first step. We NEED to maintain these types of advances for hundreds and hundreds of years into the future.

It's a matter of life or death for our entire species. Ignore space and our species eventually perishes from this Universe for eternity. Keep on advancing and shooting for the stars and we greatly increase our chances of defeating our own extinction.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Required01

I agree with you 100%.

Lots of people believe "we" have done this but "we" haven't " they " have, using our money.

Some of your replies are from frightened people who expect the end of the world.

We wont be allowed to travel to the stars untill we show that we care about others on this planet, and the planet of course.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Do me favor and check on revenue and sales of, say, Apple, Microsoft or Google.

2 Billion? LAUGHABLE. 2 fricking billion for a good cause, to EDUCATE people and learn about our world and beyond.

Hey, LOOK:

>>
[Apple]
The company reported quarterly revenue of $35 billion (£22.6b), up from $28.6 billion (£18.4b) a year earlier, and quarterly net profit of $8.8 billion (£5.7b), up from $7.3 billion (£4.7b).
>>

Apple made a revenue of TWENTY EIGHT BILLION with a profit of almost NINE BILLION selling iPhones, which are oh so EXTREMELY important, every teenager needs to have one, right?

And you complain about a laughable 2B spent on science and technology....good lord...

This is pocket change for big companies like MS, Apple, Google etc...and its actually embarrassing how tiny the budget is for science and exploration, measured on military spending or spending on other crap, like iPhones.
edit on 7-8-2012 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   
You're living in a fantasy world, sorry to say.

Poor countries are poor because they don't have the ability to provide valuable exports, the day thye figure out they have massive amounts of Oil or any other precious material underneath their feet is the day they won't be poor. If you happen to be in a "first world country" and find yourself living in poverty, you're SOL.

Until the major players in governments around the world change their ideals/morals, then the world will keep on churning and people will keep on churning with it...for better or for worse...most likely the latter.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Ok instead of replying induvidually i will do it in one reply.

My standpoint on technology is, that we need to research and develop it so we get more advanced. I do believe that we should shift our attention, from weapons, and war related technology to green energy, and improvement in our envoirment.

Space exploration is just one point, i won't even get started on war. Like i said in my OP, there is no reason why governments should dicate to others governments how to run there countries. Because not a single country on this planet is running as it should.

Our current way of life is taking it's tole on the planet, and if we as mankind do not change it will end us.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
your assuming that people really care about other people. I don't let's get that out of the way. The problem with mayy crappy places is their leaders. Crappy leaders crappy place for most people to live. Billions have been sent to the African contenent and nothing has changed in the 50 years that I know of. When I was young we collected money to buy water well drilling rigs. as soon as the Americans left the rigs were scrapped and that was the end. Did I mention I don't care anymore

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   

You're biggest problem is you fail to grasp the fact, like many, that the technology developed for not only this mission but the entire space program since its conception is used in our day to day lives. There are even many medical advancements that are due to research and development primarily for the space program.

I suggest starting here spinoff.nasa.gov... in your quest to banish ignorance.
While your intentions are honorable they are sadly misinformed as with most people. There's a reason why the politicians are always eager to cut funding for projects such as this while a minority of us struggle to keep them alive. The fact this is the case and given their way the politicians would cut all funding should tell you something....
edit on 7-8-2012 by AgentSmith because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Ok I get so tired of people dissing anything that has to do with space.

WHY aren't you complaining about the BILLIONS or TRILLIONS spent on USELESS friggin wars!! Huh?!!? How about that?!?!

Stop complaining about something that is actually good. I say GO NASA and JPL! Curiosity is an awesome rover and I'm super happy it's there. I look forward to new pics of Mars. I can never get sick of Mars pics!

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

Ok I get so tired of people dissing anything that has to do with space.

WHY aren't you complaining about the BILLIONS or TRILLIONS spent on USELESS friggin wars!! Huh?!!? How about that?!?!

Stop complaining about something that is actually good. I say GO NASA and JPL! Curiosity is an awesome rover and I'm super happy it's there. I look forward to new pics of Mars. I can never get sick of Mars pics!

How about reading before you start flaming? People like you have no valid input in threads.

I don't care what you think, this is my viewpoint atm.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   

I suggest you read the link in my previous post. While you're entitled to your opinion and it's well meant, it is also incredibly narrow minded and oblivious to reality or the 'big picture'. If you take in all the facts, you'll see why it's wrong.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by AgentSmith

I suggest you read the link in my previous post. While you're entitled to your opinion and it's well meant, it is also incredibly narrow minded and oblivious to reality or the 'big picture'. If you take in all the facts, you'll see why it's wrong.

So, the constitution is wrong and "ignorant" as you put it? The existence of NASA is completely unconstitutional, and that is reason alone to completely privatize it. No amount of technological benefits can justify breaching the great constitution of this country.

If its endeavours and achievements are so important to you people, then why can't you come together and raise a measly $2.5 billion as you put it? Oh, that's right, you want someone else (namely the taxpayer) to pay for it. How typical.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
riddle me this, where does money go once youve spent it? Back into circulation right? That money will find its way back into our governments hand to never be spent on the hungry or poor

Regardless if nasa existed or not the hungry and poor would be no less hungry or poor.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

The starving will stay starving in Africa as long as their governments are obscenely corrupt. All you will end up doing is funding a war.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   

If you only care about your viewpoint, why are you starting a thread?

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Required01
I think the U.S. should rather spend that 2 billion on there own people, improving healthcare, providing jobs, etc instead of 1 robot that could very well have crashed during landing and been lost!

That is not the government's job. By exploring mars, what has happened is 2 billion dollars have gone to furthering our technological advancement, and have funded countless engineers in order to keep us in the lead in space exploration. No other country has ever safely landed such a massive piece of equipment on another planet before, let alone on Mars with a carefully guided entry and landing. That money has kept very smart people employed here in the US, and it will continue to do so as Curiosity explores the red planet. It didn't vanish in space.

Like i said before, i love technology and i don't want to stop research on it, but let the private sector invent and fund.

The private sector has no motive to explore the red planet. There's no profit that can reasonably be made by doing so. I guess we should have let the private sector explore the northwest territory as well.

Believe it or not, but that robot is paid with your tax money. I would rather see my tax money go to improving the community and my friends having jobs, health insurance.

I would rather your friends get their own jobs and health insurance.

Ofcourse you are intitled to your own opinion, if you believe that helping your own people comes second to things as space exploration that's your call.

That's what charities should be for, not the government. That's rather off-topic though. I'm not going to let a few people like you spoil the celebration of this awesome achievement.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Diablos

Originally posted by AgentSmith

So, the constitution is wrong and "ignorant" as you put it? The existence of NASA is completely unconstitutional,

I disagree.

We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I would like to respectfully totally disagree with the OP and their view.

Control is what keeps people in poverty without a roof over their head and food in their belly not the amount of money spent on space programs.

There has never been a food or supply shortage in the world.

The control and allocation of the resources is what keeps the haves and have nots.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join