It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

And the Plot Thickens. Is not joining Facebook a sign you're a psychopath?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Personally I think you need to have your head examined if you do have a facebook. Don't kid yourself if you have one you have one, don't think that your are not like "those people" when you log on because you are.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaperMetel
i don't use Facebook..BECAUSE employers use it as a reference..along with government..i feel if they want to know about me its extremely rude to avoid the biggest potential source of information..myself..

i also don't tweet or text *to many employers use those to call you into work on your day off..and now you simply cant say you didn't get it because they send text and tweet receipts stating when you got it..i don't blog, in fact the only place you might find me is here..and i don't post here that often either..

i like my privacy.. i also enjoy talking with friends to see how there day was.not reading in some tweet or blog or Facebook site..its called human interaction..and that is something that has become increasingly sparse..

To me people that post there day to day lives are f'ed in the head..and need help.

As an employer, i take issue with this.

While interviewing you cannot ask certain questions, such as age, marital status, if they have kids, etc, etc. Using Facebook is an end around on this (it is EEOC related, so is no joke).

I wonder....has anyone tried suing because they didn't get a job over Facebook? If so, is that different than suing because your prior employer gave you a bad reference (when you get a reference call, you are only supposed to verify that they worked there, their last day worked, and their final position....anything else can get you sued for costing a potential job).

A former HR Mgr was wanting to fire a girl for something they said on MySpace (way back in the day). Eventually we ended up firing her (she released private company information about our client)....and our legal team signed off on that. But that is different.

What you are talking about is, in essense, snooping for gossip and other utterances taken wholly out of context.

Then again.....if you are unstable enough to put some of the crap I have seen on Failbook on your FB......

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

One of my relatives was denied a positon in a large corporation due to her Facebook page. The specific issue cited in their denial was that the Facebook page suggested a "modality of living that was inconsistent with company image standards"

So there's always a fall-back, empty excuse. This relative had one or two pictures from a beach vacation - in a swimsuit... and one picture taken at a pub with a beer in her hand.
edit on 8/6/12 by Hefficide because: Cuz Iz dumbb

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I am a person who has a lot to lose. I have built a decent career for myself by being smart about how i preserve my reputation. I also know how people like to peruse FB (and formerly MySpace) to find things to gossip about.

With my viewpoints, and my tendency to be crusty and cantankerous, it would be a PR nightmare for me to have a FB account.

Then add in my son and all the comments he would leave. Being the biggest/strongest has given him a perspective of "ill speak my mind honestly, and you can suck it" that rears its ugly head from time to time. Could you imagine? (that quote was something he said to a school superior once, followed by a smile and "Ill do what I want, you can keep me from having my baby". He likes to think he is funny).
edit on 6-8-2012 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Just close your eyes and imagine a tracking system for every citizen. It would tell you where they were and what they were doing, it would even show you their friends and let you in on all their personal little drama issues. But how would you get the manpower to update it constantly? You would simply make it desireable.

The hipsters will never fight bigbrother they will demand him.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Ooo, yea, gotta be careful of those non-fb 'people' if you can even call them that.

Be careful of people with hair too, gotta be careful of those persons with hair. And ideas! YES! People portraying ideas! Suspicious indeed

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

And what is it you suggest we do? What is fair to you? What are the choices that history has taught us? What do you have to offer if what I said is not just?

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
This was an interesting thread. This is completely about social engineering and how to influence actions without actually taking a position that makes you look manipulative. Facebook is part of it. While it isn't FB's fault, the people who are using it as a tool to categorize others are certainly going well beyond what should be.

This is no different than the persecution of random peoples 1000 years ago. Part of life is either fitting in or not fitting in. The world has a mob mentality and many fail to recognize.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
This is no different than the persecution of random peoples 1000 years ago. Part of life is either fitting in or not fitting in. The world has a mob mentality and many fail to recognize.

And how true that is, the one's that seek to rebel are the wost offenders. When being a hippy was "in" they were hippies "rebelling" against society and today we have OWS- you can like them on facebook

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I'd rather be labelled a psycho than become a tool for a faceless society. If I had given in to all these ploys and the ones that are over the horizon, then I'd know it was my fault and I'd regret it deeply because that's a game I refuse to play. But, being labelled things? Like it matters. Besides, if one of them called you crazy for not doing something that was expected of you, then you're probably doing something right because it was your choice for your life, and you saw it as the right one.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I have an FB but I use an alias and fake birthdate.It frustrates the hell outta some people that I don't post any real personal info.I'll post vids or links from here and other places but that's it.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I've been waiting for this kind of comment.. I got rid of mine 6 months ago because I could give a rats at where someone was eating and who they were with, I could also care less when someone is taking a bath. There are people on FB who do care about reading that kind of info about people I guess.. I gues someone might wanna know when a person has left their house so they can go rob them! That's a true story!

Im surviving and as happy as can be without it!!!

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

I have actually gotten off most social network sites ATS is one of the few I still participate in.

off with his head.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Haha, so everyone before 2005 was a psychopath?

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I love my facebook castleville, my fb scrabble buddy, I like to see my family members that live in other states smiling at me while they remodel their old doublewide, and yes I even enjoy satisfying my voyeuristic tendencies...So before you all start stoning me give me a moment to put on some clean underwear and update my fb profile...sincerely yours------P.S. Whores are people too.....

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Meh, never had FB nor have I tweeted...twittered? And rarely have I even texted somebody, other than wishing them a "Happy [insert text here].

Don't even have a decent credit score as I gave up credit cards back in the eighties.

Still found a decent paying job in no time.

I'm not a psychopath...maybe a Neandrathal.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog
[m
Which is why I plan to go off the grid.I know,you think that is impossible today.Not so my friend.Very soon I will be just a memory.No drivers license,no S.S.[well I will still have the number,just won't be needing it]no job.In fact there will be no way to find me at all unless you are part of my very small circle.I have done it before,on a trial run.From summer of '88 to early '91,there is absolutely no record of me anywhere.Only reason it ended is because I made a mistake,resurfaced temporarily,and got caught doing something illegal.Long story short I got put on a government list and was forced to live a "normal" life since then.But soon I will be gone again.I have been planning this for sometime.Of course,you probably don't believe me.Doesn't matter.I know how to disappear.And this time I am not reappearing,ever.Good Day.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by mardukiscoming

Crikeys!

You just gave up your plan didn't you?

best to rethink your strategy.
edit on 7-8-2012 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Here are other reasons:

-You're poor/live on a fix income and don't have ready access to a computer

-You're rural and don't really need it or a computer/don't have access to decent Internet

-You're fairly technologically illiterate

All of the above are perfectly valid, perfectly logical reasons why one wouldn't have a computer. But, of course, taking five minutes to think about such things is clearly not the norm.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Psychologists have noted that Holmes, along with several noted mass murderers, have lacked any real friends. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...[/ex

So by not having many friends if at all, I could deemed damaged

I don't have many friends cause they = drama

edit on 7-8-2012 by mytheroy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join