It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia to Set Up Naval Infrastructure in Arctic – Patrushev

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Russia to Set Up Naval Infrastructure in Arctic – Patrushev

en.rian.ru

Russia will create several infrastructure hubs along the Northern Sea Route in the Arctic to be used as temporary stations for Russian warships and border guard vessels, Security Council chief Nikolai Patrushev said on Monday.
(visit the link for the full news article)
Related News Links:
www.abovetopsecret.com
www.abovetopsecret.com
www.abovetopsecret.com
www.abovetopsecret.com

edit on 6-8-2012 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I know the topic has been simmering on the back burner while the focus has been diverted to ME. However there seems to be a slow buildup and/or possible claim/annexation of arctic lands for natural resources as the ice melts. It would be interesting to see the interested countries such as China and how it attempts to buy out the Canadian stake in the Arctic. There were few threads on ATS going back in time about this.

Your thoughts/comments/opinions/viewpoints please.

en.rian.ru
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
These countries know for sure the global climate change is happening and there is probable no way back (we are stuffed and just don't know that)... so they decided that at least they will try get a bigger piece of the pie
edit on 6-8-2012 by alien because: ...editted out the censor circumvent...

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackcube
These countries know for sure the global climate change is happening and there is probable no way back (we are stuffed and just don't know that)... so they decided that at least they will try get a bigger piece of the pie

"The global climate change" is something that has happened forever.
The nations of the world are simply learning to adapt to it.

Where we are right now could be under water in a million years, ice will become tropical areas and every other mix you can imagine.
edit on 6-8-2012 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-8-2012 by alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
All kinds of room, once the ice melts. All kinds of water too!

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
All kinds of room, once the ice melts. All kinds of water too!
What do you mean all kinds of water? I know the basic types but do you mean the one's meant for human survival ?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
If the ice up there recedes permanently this region will be of major strategic importance. Not only will the resources under the ice become more accessible, the Northern Sea Route will also be free of ice.

en.wikipedia.org...

It only makes sense to me for them to be ahead of the curve and solidify their position on the Arctic coast
edit on 6-8-2012 by Mkoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Good move by Russia shoring up influence in the near area of its borders. No use building bases in Cuba or Vietnam. Russia is not a superpower now and more like a regional power and hence better invest in the near shores.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
FFS why is this news??

It's not like Russia/USSR hasn't ahd an arctic fleet for a few hundred years -

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

Why wouldn't they have bases ALONG THEIR OWN COAST??

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
FFS why is this news??

It's not like Russia/USSR hasn't ahd an arctic fleet for a few hundred years -

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

Why wouldn't they have bases ALONG THEIR OWN COAST??

Just because something a country is doing makes perfect sense, extending their ability for control in the Russian Arctic, doesn't make it not news. The Japanese extending control over Manchuria for resources in the late 20s and early 30s made perfect sense. That was news though. This may not be as controversial as my example but I like being better informed about the geopolitical situation. I for one hadn't given much thought to the area before reading this thread and I came away from it informed.

Sure, the Russians have been operating in the Arctic for centuries, but now they are expanding their ability to keep ships fueled and supplied in the more remote regions of the Northern Sea Passage, which has become more accessible in the last decade. It will only become more so.

They are planning to do such things as "create several infrastructure hubs along the Northern Sea Route in the Arctic to be used as temporary stations for Russian warships and border guard vessels"

and to "to deploy a combined-arms force by 2020 to guard its political and economic interests in the Arctic"

"Combined Arms" means air force and ground assets will be deployed into the Russian Arctic to supplement that navy that has been operating in the region since forever. That seems novel enough to qualify as news for me.

Also, there is a lot of money going into this region,

In April, the Russian government unveiled plans to spend around 1.3 trillion rubles ($44 billion) on economic and social projects in the Arctic before 2020. According to the Russian Ministry for Regional Development, the projects will include the creation of new transportation corridors and the development of new hydrocarbon deposits and social infrastructure in the region. The private sector is expected to contribute some 80 billion rubles ($2.7 billion) to the projects.

I guess you didn't read the article because it wasn't news though

I find it kind of repulsive that you insult the OP like that so that you can feed your sumg-ass sense of superiority instead of, you know, contributing to the forum
edit on 7-8-2012 by Mkoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mkoll

I find it kind of repulsive that you insult the OP like that so that you can feed your sumg-ass sense of superiority instead of, you know, contributing to the forum

I find that your inability to see that identifying the Russian and soviet naval interests in the arctic to be not a contribution to be quite silly, and your choice of language to be emotive and ..you know..not really much of a contribution to the forum.

The Russians have also been trying to exploit the arctic resources for as long as they have existed - and as technology advances they will be able to do more and more of it.

While each advance may inded be news, it is not "alternative" in any way shape or form, and barely "breaking" sicne it is nothing more than a logical progression of any nation-state to do so.

edit on 7-8-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Why do those in charge immediately think of War Games?

What is Politics? To sit and talk about things, not to set Strategic Positions and get ready to fight....

Well thats what I thought Politics was about anyway....

Why are we still in that kind of Roman Invasion frame of mind?

Resource was here before Man and its Free or supposed to be anyway... it's over-population which is causing lack of Resource!

And maybe if the Elites had decided to go with Free Energy (which is/was available according to some top Scientists such as Tesla) then they wouldn't need to be thinking straight away 'War' as there would be no need for it....
edit on 7-8-2012 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist
reply to post by hp1229

Why do those in charge immediately think of War Games?
Keep others off their territory? Hunter Gatherer instincts?

What is Politics? To sit and talk about things, not to set Strategic Positions and get ready to fight....
Sit and talk comes first and if no agreement reached then obviously they fight

Why are we still in that kind of Roman Invasion frame of mind?
Who are you referring to US or Russia? The topic is about Russia and the Naval Infrastructure.

Resource was here before Man and its Free or supposed to be anyway... it's over-population which is causing lack of Resource!
Agree however wish it worked that way in reality. Even the animals have territories. What makes you think humans will let go of their territories?

top topics

join