It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia reintroduces warship patrols in Arctic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Russia reintroduces warship patrols in Arctic

www.cnn.com

MOSCOW, Russia (AP) -- Russia announced Monday that it is sending warships to patrol Arctic waters for the first time since the breakup of the Soviet Union -- the latest move to increase the country's global military presence.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
People would say its more saber rattling.I see it towards another move maybe from whats going on in the world.They been doing these patrols anyways for a few years now but this looks permanent.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Tell you what, let's defuse this militaristic silliness and just assume it's a global warming thread: there are now more artic waters to patrol! Carry on, nothing to see here...

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I think the whole entire world is trying to flex it's military muscle. None of these things tend to surprise me at all. I don't really blame Russia for wanting to secure it's country. The United States thinks it's the only country in the world that has the right to "secure" their country. Between the American missisle shield in Europe and having nut jobs in office, I would be showing some military presence if I was leading Russia. I mean, come on, you can't really blame the Russians for their military actions lately. They have one of the most powerful countries in the world breathing down their necks.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
It's all about resources. Russia is trying to lay claim to the resource rights in the Arctic. As is the US, Canada, Denmark and Norway. Muscle flexing is all.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
This is good news! Planet X comes in from the South, and the Russians strike from the North just under the radar. This is going to work out great! Shelter in place!

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Considering how large the Arctic coastline with Russia is I'm not all that surprised that they'd want to up their naval presence. I think the real reasoning for this is that with Russia being able to afford to maintain their military now they're going to start paying for things they'd normally be doing. The break up of the Soviet Union didn't stop hostilities, it simply meant one nation couldn't afford it and the other nation didn't feel like paying for something the other wasn't.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
This is so funny, now that bush is going to lift the off shore drilling the Russians are protecting the Arctic coast.

I guess we don't know how far the so call off shore drilling will extend

Perhaps all the way to the Arctic.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
if you take a closer look you will find that the last piece of the world war 3 puzzle has been set in place.. if the USA or any other country sails into waters Russia says or theres because the left a flag on the sea bed and challenges them to leave or surrender . Russia is already angry over the missile shield so im afraid neither will back down....

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

presumibly far enough to tick the russians off

what happend to no one being able to claim the antartic
how things change for resources

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I can not wait for the Arctic wars to start, this one is going to be very good, perhaps China will start patrolling along side the Russians very soon.

Can you imagine the US mobilizing and entire fleet to the arctic.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

can you imagine the profit the clothing idustry is going to make for antartic gear? they are going to make a killing (so speaking)

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Well taking into consideration that China, India and Korea are the ones making clothing now for America they are the ones that will be making a killing actually.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Maybe their plan is to take control over the Doomsday Seed Vault at Svalbard, if some doomsday scenario should occure? Just an idea...

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by fatdad
if you take a closer look you will find that the last piece of the world war 3 puzzle has been set in place.. if the USA or any other country sails into waters Russia says or theres because the left a flag on the sea bed and challenges them to leave or surrender . Russia is already angry over the missile shield so im afraid neither will back down....

I know Russia is jumping on board Im wondering when China will and what for. They have Darfur I guess, we are letting them have that. But whats the new base and military upgrades for?

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
It's all about resources. Russia is trying to lay claim to the resource rights in the Arctic. As is the US, Canada, Denmark and Norway. Muscle flexing is all.

Great minds think alike....

This is just another move to lay claims for resources an ice free zone will open up.

new topics

top topics

join