It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ABC News Joins Obama- Bans American Flag Lapel Pins!!!!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
They are asked not to wear pins of any kind because they are reporting the news, not taking sides.

They are not banned from doing so.

www.snopes.com...

jeez...i was about to write the same thing...everybody needs to calm the F down...mention anything here about somehow, someway, of disparaging american patriotism, and people are out to gut you and your family and burn your house down. do some of you actually take the time and think about what you say?
this is why liberals need to own guns, because even if you are a upstanding american citizen, and love this country, but you have your own personal beliefs on how this country should be run, you are going to be suspected of being anti-american. and if the SHTF, believe me, you will be lumped into the same group as an islamic terrorist.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I see everyone has covered the snopes article as well as the concept of journalistic integrity, so I'll just discuss the pins themselves.

Those garish lapel pins were made famous during the post-9/11 Empty Gesture era.

Everything you could think of was done in the name of "honoring and celebrating our freedoms".

I'd like to see them phase out entirely by choice, but ABC is doing the right thing.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by CherubBaby
reply to post by RealSpoke

I have 3 definitions of Nationalism,

1- Devotion to the interests or culture of one's nation.
2-The belief that nations will benefit from acting independently
3-Patriotic feeling, principles, or efforts. ( Noun form )

I don't know what is creepy about it.. If more "Americans" were one of the 3 above , we wouldn't have the mess that we do at this time..

Can you prove that statement or is it just an opinion? Just asking...

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I think wearing a flag pin is incredibly tacky, but banning people from wearing one because it may be interpreted as endorsing a specific political party is gross. It shouldn't be about Republicans or Democrats, if you want to show a little patriotism that's fine. The media made the lapel pin about political affiliation. Perhaps they should attach douche bags to their lapels.

I agree with this. I see the flag pin, and I cringe, it is petty pandering, and it makes them less trustworthy in my opinion, but banning the flag pin is even worse.

Did these networks forget how they used to signoff at the end of the day?

Starting at 50 seconds in this one

Starting at 3:00 in this one

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrisGris
reply to post by MountainLaurel

Obama wears flag pins (a quick google image search) reveals multiple occasions. You are bearing false witness. Do a little research.

Perhaps he has worn them in the past, but he has outright made a statement to not wear them now, and I have done my research, and have wittnessed with my own eyes him not saluting the flag at public ceremonies, and also him and his wife using thier LEFT hands, instead of right hands, why would they do that?

I am unable to post links at this time, but google it, also all the "wierdness" surrouding him being sworn in, that's a very strange story too. Reguardless of your religious views, the tradition is to place your hand on a bible, why was no bible used when he re-took his oath?

For the record I was one of the "dummies" that voted for Obama, and my opinions now are based on MANY hours of trying to connect the dots of the mess we find this country in.......if you can logically explain or show me where my statements are wrong, I will listen, but I stand by my observations at this time....

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
you guys do realize you are talking about a story from 2002 right?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by CherubBaby

And where exactly did Obama ban American Flag Lapel Pins???

Oh right...he didn't...just more mis-information being spread on ATS.

You didn't even attempt to talk about Obama in the OP...because you know it is just complete false mis-information that you are trying to spread.

Even your link states that ABC did this after 9/11...way before Obama was on the National scene...nothing to do with Obama.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by MountainLaurel

Originally posted by GrisGris
reply to post by MountainLaurel

Obama wears flag pins (a quick google image search) reveals multiple occasions. You are bearing false witness. Do a little research.

Perhaps he has worn them in the past, but he has outright made a statement to not wear them now, and I have done my research, and have wittnessed with my own eyes him not saluting the flag at public ceremonies, and also him and his wife using thier LEFT hands, instead of right hands, why would they do that?

I am unable to post links at this time, but google it, also all the "wierdness" surrouding him being sworn in, that's a very strange story too. Reguardless of your religious views, the tradition is to place your hand on a bible, why was no bible used when he re-took his oath?

For the record I was one of the "dummies" that voted for Obama, and my opinions now are based on MANY hours of trying to connect the dots of the mess we find this country in.......if you can logically explain or show me where my statements are wrong, I will listen, but I stand by my observations at this time....

yeah...well...my 2 minute research shows where this has been photoshopped...by guess who?....lying republicans...gee what a shocker! (yawn)...c'mon guys, don't you think this is getting old?...don't you understand how this makes the few good honest republicans look?...again, this is why i don't even bother believing ANYTHING coming out of a republicans mouth.
urbanlegends.about.com...

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

A boycott of the ABC television network is encouraged because the executives at ABC news are said to have told reporters they could not wear American flag lapel pins or any other patriotic insignia. The network said that ABC should remain as neutral as possible.

Neutral? WHY?

Flag pins? Did they ever wear flag pins?

Associated Press writer David Bauder quoted Barbara Walters as saying that ABC discouraged its reporters from wearing the flag because "...it may confuse the audience." She was also quoted as saying that there was concern whether someone who decided not to wear a flag in the midst of all the others might be viewed as less patriotic.

Confuse the audience?

What ? the audience doesn't know that they are watching,"cough," an American news channel?
OMG a flag pin, where am I?

who decided not to wear a flag in the midst of all the others might be viewed as less patriotic.

It is just plain stupid.
Seems our news, our schools, and our government are all in the hands of the enemy and people still don't see it.
Good luck.

You know what I would call this if I could?

edit on 103131p://bSunday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrSpad
The OPs link leads to a story from 2002? Are we really bothering with a ten year old story and that means nothing?

OH, well then,

Did they lift the ban?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Description: Email rumor
Circulating since: June 2008

Analysis: Please note that when the message above says ABC News banned flag lapel pins "yesterday," it's referring to a date in 2001. This was not a recent event.
urbanlegends.about.com...
And although it's true that ABC News instituted such a ban shortly after the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, the network's stated reasons were more cogent than what is indicated above. According to ABC spokesman Jeffrey Schneider, the network saw it as necessary to protect its reporters' credibility, not to mention their personal safety abroad.

"We cannot signal through outward symbols how we feel, even if the cause is justified," he said in a statement to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "Overseas, it could be perceived that we're just mouthpieces for the U.S. government, and that can place our journalists in danger."

ABC was the only major network to set such a policy, however. It was applauded by some for its integrity and derided by others as an attempt to stifle patriotism. As Washington Post media reporter Howard observed, the issue generated a good deal of ambivalence in the journalistic profession as a whole. "There are passionate views on both sides of this question," he said in a September 2001 commentary on CNN. "Journalists are patriots who love their country, and are horrified by these attacks, but many believe it's simply inappropriate for them to engage in flag-waving on the air."

Regardless of which stand they took, every journalist who came down on one side of the issue or the other saw the decision as a matter of conscience. In the aftermath of 9/11, Meet the Press host Tim Russert chose to wear a red, white, and blue ribbon on camera. Other NBC anchors, including Matt Lauer and Katie Couric, did not. At Fox News, Britt Hume and others proudly sported American flag lapel pins. Bill O'Reilly did not.

but many believe it's simply inappropriate for them to engage in flag-waving on the air."

Whatever
edit on 103131p://bSunday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
Nationalism is creepy anyways.

Wow, you must be hating the Olympics, right?

Sad, just sad.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhatTheory

Originally posted by RealSpoke
Nationalism is creepy anyways.

Wow, you must be hating the Olympics, right?

Sad, just sad.

Yea, it is sad, considering.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Just to clarify, I also cringe at WHY all these hypocrites starting wearing these pins......but Obama never called for 9-11 truth, he didn't bring our troops home, he completely has followed along the Bush policies to dismantle our Constitutional rights, so really my "beef" has nothing to do with the pins really.....it's more the fact that he is "towing" the line toward a NWO....and I am EXTRA pissed at him for TRICKING good Americans that really believed he represented change.

I guess what really bothers me is the adding insult to injury by disrespecting what our flag SHOULD mean, what I grew up believing it did mean, maybe we should just bypass American pin making companies, give China the contract, paid for by US taxpayers to make UN pins for all to wear....I don't know....sigh......

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by NeoVain
This is nothing. In Sweden it´s racist to sing the national anthem or wear the swedish flag in public, Not even schoolchildren are allowed to sing it in school anymore. It is not only considered racist, but illegal and will land you a heavy fine or, if unlucky, can even land you in jail. Why? Multiculturalism is so widespread here, the swedish identity is all but wiped out. (having a flagpole on the lawn is still legal, but scoffed at)

Wow, I had no idea it was like this in Sweden.

That is just terrible. I'm afraid that if we here in the states are not careful, the crazy mental midget politicians here will attempt the same thing all because of this multiculturalism BS.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
dude, that is a way old article. last updated April of '02.

did you read your own source? or just click and paste?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I'm sorry, I fail to understand this. I don't wear a lapel pin, but I'm still proud of my country. Why would a lack of a lapel flag pin make you unpatriotic?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
The OP wrote: "ABC News Joins Obama- Bans American Flag Lapel Pins!!!!!"

But then links to a blog article - from 2002.. The blog in question (truthorfiction) is like snopes and politifact, it debunks internet rumors. What does the article in question say?

Summary of eRumor:
A boycott of the ABC television network is encouraged because the executives at ABC news are said to have told reporters they could not wear American flag lapel pins or any other patriotic insignia. The network said that ABC should remain as neutral as possible.

The Truth:
The terrorist attacks on America of September 11, 2001 resulted in a wave of patriotism that had not been seen in decades. The shared enthusiasm for the country and the flag were strong and widespread.

It created difficulties for reporters, however, who try to professionally earn and keep people's trust by avoiding personal partisan displays while reporting the news.

It was not only ABC but many other media outlets who struggled with trying to preserve their image as journalists while at the same time trying to avoid seeming unpatriotic in the crisis.

Associated Press writer David Bauder quoted Barbara Walters as saying that ABC discouraged its reporters from wearing the flag because "...it may confuse the audience." She was also quoted as saying that there was concern whether someone who decided not to wear a flag in the midst of all the others might be viewed as less patriotic.

In other words, the OP linked to an article that completely debunks the OP's own thread title. Herp to the Derp. Then the OP doubles down on the Herp Derpness by trying to lump Obama into the previously debunked rumor by claiming ABC was "joining Obama" in banning pins - six years before Obama was ever seen on the national stage. No doubt the paid shills and sock-puppets will be along to star and flag this tripe, even if it is flagrantly ridiculous. Thanks OP, that was 30 seconds lost reading your hogwash.

ETA: mods can we get this topic reviewed for the HOAX bin?
edit on 5-8-2012 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

yea i was wondering if the OP actually read his own source or not.

the title and the thread in general seem to be some anonymous internet user trying to create sensationalism. a troll if you will. theres no reason to post such a title if the OP had indeed read his linked source.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by CherubBaby
I have 3 definitions of Nationalism,

1- Devotion to the interests or culture of one's nation.
2-The belief that nations will benefit from acting independently
3-Patriotic feeling, principles, or efforts. ( Noun form )

I don't know what is creepy about it.. If more "Americans" were one of the 3 above , we wouldn't have the mess that we do at this time..

So when Politicans line the stage up with Flags, then tell bold face lies, that makes you warm and fuzzy?
When planes flying flags bomb innocent countries in illegal wars, that makes you warm and fuzzy?

It's just a piece of cloth, like all other cloth.

True Patriotism is in your heart, and in your soul.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join