It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ABC News Joins Obama- Bans American Flag Lapel Pins!!!!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

My sleeping pill is kicking and I just popped out the contacts so I will only respond to the video.

Eddie Izzard shouldn't be calling anyone a frumpy queen.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by CherubBaby
reply to post by justwokeup

Smiling. I will try again. You said,

It depends on whether you want the news as truth, or the news as soothing stories that make you feel good about your nation regardless of actual reality.

I never said nor do I say now that I want soothing stories period. I don't need a news reporter or his/her story to make me feel good about "My Nation" You then said,,

Patriotism has no place in the news room. If it does its not news, its propaganda.

I think that is totally dependent on the story being reported. Not every news story is about America. ( Not yet )

Lastly, you said,,

I hasten to add that the absence of overt patriotic symbols does not infer the presence of truth.

Well I say if it's truth why do patriotic symbols matter? I will hasten to add the absence of Patriotic symbols is not really feeding the spirit of truth anyway. The news lies as much to us, if not more , than it tells the truth.

My post wasn't a criticism of you personally, or intended to cause offence, if it came across that way I apologise.

The point i was trying to make is that patriotic, or partisan symbols allowed in a newsroom are an implicit acceptance of a particular bias.

Bias is the enemy of the truth.

If you are tuning in to an opinion show (where the bias is rampant, and the viewer tunes in because it agrees with their own leanings) then patriotic/partisan symbols are fine.

If its 'news' then they are not fine.

Their absence doesn't guarantee the absence of bias. But their presence is indicative of a news organisation that is either actively biased or isn't strongly motivated to prevent it.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by CherubBaby

I understand your concern, yet I must direct you to the rules of presentation regarding
The American Flag.

Specifically these rules under section number 8 .(Respect for Flag)

You may also find Modifications of Rules and Customs by President pertinent
to your topic. This would be under Section 10.

Here is a link to Laws regarding The Flag of The United States of America :

www.ushistory.org...

Lastly, there is no law requiring private enterprise to display our Flag.

At least that is my understanding. Please Correct me if I am wrong.

As it would not be the first time, and I am always willing to learn something new

Best Regards, Star and Flag..........How Appropriate

edit on 5-8-2012 by Wildmanimal because: typo

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Sure, it all seems fine and dandy, and quite reasonable that reporters should be unbiased and neautral....and perhaps it's just that simple, and why ABC banned the pins...

For those of us that are concerned, and believe Obama is actually in favor of a NWO, and not commited to the Sovernity of America...his refusal to wear the pin of our flag, and infact has also choosen to not put his hand over his heart while saying the pledge of allegence....would seem to indicate that there are good reasons for those concerns.

Now we have a major news outlet showing a sort of "solidarity" on not allowing the pins to be worn? Since Obama has been in office we have steadily had our Constitutional rights eroded, and outright attacked...and the stunt him and the UN pulled in Libya was beyond unconstitutional....now they want to invade Iran, My God, we all need to say...HELL NO !

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   

1. Who the hell cares ?

2. What does this have to do with Obama ?

3. What the heck is your obsession with flag pins made in China?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by skepticconwatcher

I never said anything about Obama and your tone is rude . I never said I have an obsession with pins either . What is your obsession? Or should I answer it for you?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by CherubBaby

I never said anything about Obama and your tone is rude . I never said I have an obsession with pins either . What is your obsession? Or should I answer it for you?

The title of this stupid thread is ABC News JoinsOBAMA- Bans American Flag Lapel Pins!!!!!

What the hell are you even talking about ?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   

"You don't have the American flag pin on. Is that a fashion statement?" the reporter asked, at the end of a brief interview with Obama on Wednesday. "Those have been on politicians since Sept. 12, 2001."

. . . . . . .

Instead the Illinois senator answered the question at length, explaining that he no longer wears such a pin, at least in part, because of the Iraq War.

"You know, the truth is that right after 9/11, I had a pin," Obama said. "Shortly after 9/11, particularly because as we're talking about the Iraq War, that became a substitute for I think true patriotism, which is speaking out on issues that are of importance to our national security, I decided I won't wear that pin on my chest.

abcnews.go.com...

So, if Obama won't wear one due to the war, is ABC really being neutral, or are they making a statement?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Wildmanimal

I thank you for your post. The context you address is for the flag itself. I am a veteran and we wore icons of The United States Flag on our uniforms and in this context a flag pin is an icon of your flag, A model car is not a transportation vehicle.. I'm not trying to say that there are not reasons on both sides of this issue for whomever wants and believes what they choose to. I am saying plainly, I think the day is coming when people of America will wish there was a flag to behold in any shape or form, if things don't change soon.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
You think any of our Leaders give a # about the population of the country they represent? Ha ha ha... They'll wear anything you want them to, as long as the population stays on their hands and knees licking their boots. Individuals enter politics now-a-days not to lead, but because it is a smart business decision. "Patriotism" is nothing more then another helpful tool to help the population in policing itself.

I'm sorry, I'm being a bit brash - There are a few "leaders" who try to do the right thing for those they are supposed to be representing, but our convoluted, bloated, bureaucratic system of control gets in the way most of the time.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I have found nationalism to be a very odd thing to make sense of. It seems to be a double edge sword. In one aspect it can protect a society from falling apart due to the unifying nature of nationalism. It can also lead to society losing itself in hatred for anyone who is not `one of us.`

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Stupid? The only thing stupid is your "FOUL" mouth. I didn't name the thread. Why don't you start a smart thread?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Makes sense , Osama Bin Laden will change your flag soon too , then declare himself the king of america ..... breaking the charters ... and forcing England to invade america.

Just wait till the AlQaeda flag is flying above the whitehouse ............... stop it at syria and iran ...... or OUR countries are next.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Why stop at the Muslims? Those damned Asians might start getting uppity, and may need to be shown their place in the world, too! The Africans could also start organizing and utilizing their wealth of natural resources, and us god fearing white people can't have that! Maybe we should just start dropping nukes indiscriminately on any other people that could possibly ever be a threat to us.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Einstein compared patriotism to racism, and he was right.

I love my country. And I don't have to tell you this, either. To feel pressure about being "more patriotic" is as stupid as anything I have ever heard.

Love your country. But do it to yourself. To tell everyone else is not loving your country, its stoking your ego. That is the stuff of stupid, small minds.

RE: ABC's choice....i couldn't care less. They are right. If they are truly a news organization, their nation of origin should have nothing to do with the way they report, and how they portray themselves. They are supposed to be impartial.

I am sure someone will say I am "unpatriotic". To that I will say, "Yes, i am. But I love my country".

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

First of all you need a chill pill. I never said anyone was unpatriotic. You slow down, you will see that. I posted the story, I didn't write it. As an American, I haven't lived my life in a way that makes me feel concern for wearing the flag of my country in any venue. I'm not saying that's true for everyone or that it's true for anyone. I am saying it's obviously an issue for some Americans. Now you gonna jump? Jump..

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by MountainLaurel

Obama wears flag pins (a quick google image search) reveals multiple occasions. You are bearing false witness. Do a little research.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by NeoVain

This is nothing. In Sweden it´s racist to sing the national anthem or wear the swedish flag in public, Not even schoolchildren are allowed to sing it in school anymore. It is not only considered racist, but illegal and will land you a heavy fine or, if unlucky, can even land you in jail. Why? Multiculturalism is so widespread here, the swedish identity is all but wiped out. (having a flagpole on the lawn is still legal, but scoffed at)

How bloody annoying is that.

Sweden does still have a flag but, I saw it at the Olympics

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
The OPs link leads to a story from 2002? Are we really bothering with a ten year old story and that means nothing?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrSpad
The OPs link leads to a story from 2002? Are we really bothering with a ten year old story and that means nothing?

This is ATS, any chance to bash "the liberals" or the "liberal msm" is open season lol.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join