It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you Mentally and Spiritually Prepared for what is to come ?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trueman
reply to post by mkmasn

Either way, I choose to live. If God knows all, he knows I like living, regardless of the situation, and would tailor his plan around that.

At the end, we agree. I live everyday like that, trying to do the right thing and hoping my actions are good after God's eyes.

That's all you can do, in the grand scheme of things.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Then why did Jesus command not to take any thought for what you shall eat or drink or wear? He said do not store up in barns etc etc. As for me I think that stuff isn't gonna save you anyway. Unless you have skills, like how to grow food, how to live off the land, shoot, hunt, trap, fish, make things, etc etc etc, then no amount of excess food is gonna save you.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246
reply to post by seabag

He said do not store up in barns etc etc.

Actually, Jesus didn't say not to store up. He said not to worry. He said look at the animals and plants, how "God provides for them." He provided you with a prefrontal cortex for you to plan things. But he doesn't want you to fall into the illusion of thinking you are in control.

Jesus DOES command "do not worry...."

As for me I think that stuff isn't gonna save you anyway.

I agree. Having the right accessories can make you look smart and save effort later, when all your efforts are needed for the task of surviving.

Unless you have skills, like how to grow food, how to live off the land, shoot, hunt, trap, fish, make things, etc etc etc, then no amount of excess food is gonna save you.

We are in agreement there.

I'm philosophically prepared, I think; I have lived in the developing world, and have been present in theatres of war; so some of the concepts of disaster are not new to me, or at least not shockingly new.

My preparation is that I don't rely on a philosophy of utilitarianism to make more moral decisions. I know in advance what the limits of my behavior are. For instance. I love my wife. I would die for her. I would defend her at the cost of an assailant's life. But I wouldn't murder for her, or lie to cover up a crime she committed. She knows this about me, and knows that some of my beliefs and values are not "for sale" or "as circumstances dictate."

When the rulers of this present age con you into doing evil for them, they manage you by creating a crisis, and convincing you that the only way you can survive is by "following orders." It's like the Milgram Experiment, where they convince you to torture someone because "this is an emergency."

The Nazis did it. Torquemada did it. The instigators of the Reign of Terror did it. I believe that the Devil did it, whispering in Judas' ear.

You have to stand for something, or you'll fall for any thing.
edit on 6-8-2012 by tovenar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by tovenar

He provided you with a prefrontal cortex for you to plan things.

We're also provided with a neocortex (look it up) but religion is specifically designed to appeal to our reptilian cortex (again, look it up).

That's why I don't like religion. Religion is touted about as though it was designed to be used by our analytical centers, but you know what it appeals to most? Survivalism. Remember what terrible things we've done in the name of survival, whether or not they were necessary? Exactly.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

Then why did Jesus command not to take any thought for what you shall eat or drink or wear? He said do not store up in barns etc etc.

I’m no theologian but I did stay at a Holiday Express once.

I’m not sure about the context of the verse you’re referring to but explain this verse:

Proverbs 3: 9 & 10

Honor the LORD with your wealth, with the first fruits of all your crops; then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine.
Proverbs

1 Timothy 5:8

But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.
1 Timothy

Or how about this one:

Psalm 82:4

Rescue the weak and needy; Deliver them out of the hand of the wicked.
Psalm 82.4

As for me I think that stuff isn't gonna save you anyway. Unless you have skills, like how to grow food, how to live off the land, shoot, hunt, trap, fish, make things, etc etc etc, then no amount of excess food is gonna save you.

You’re right…stored food will only get you so far. You must have many skills to survive off the grid and not everyone is capable. I do believe in doing the best I can to be prepared though, as insignificant as my efforts my ultimately prove to be.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by nimbinned

“Be still and know that I am God.” Psalm 46:10

I'm ready because I know I'm on the winning team.

edit on 6-8-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent

So do Muslims and Jews.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by nimbinned
I am a prepper in the holistic sense. I not only have the material resources to survive after a catastrophic event, but am also prepped mentally and spiritually for all the associated repercussions, such as the enormous psyhic pain that will be unleashed on this planet.

I would say you have yet to learn the pain is only in your mind, or it is perceived by your mind and then translated into actual pain which it appears to me will be actually felt by you. I think I know why though, it's to make it all real and if you can feel pain you must be able to others' pleasure as well so that's a free ride on other people's happiness, no positive without the negative. Which I'm not saying I think is wrong but to be able to create happiness for oneself (without needing anything, not even life here) is a greater thing and leads to true independence which I believe every human should become.

Wanting to protect one's mind is to give power to perceived dangers, which would be powerless without one's belief invested in that danger. Once realized they will simply be fighting or trying to hurt their own image of you, which is not truly you as you experience yourself. But again, to believe in such power is to most because of the promise to wield it for oneself one day.

People are weak of mind in these modern times, because they are worshipping the $ instead of their creator.

There are weak people because it takes time to form a personal truth and time is money and that is what is needed to pay the bills. It does not have to do anything with worship. Things like psychiatry only play in to this, when one's truth doesn't hold it's either a long suffering road to recovery where one has to spend a lot of time on or just take a pill, no toughts needed. If it works ofcourse, otherwise you'll just get a different pill.

Anyway in my case I can spend the rest of my life studying before I truly understand what I wrote above. It's amazing how many illusions there are on this planet and how many I have become immune to. Some day I will know all of them and I guess that is when the fun time begins for me. Just hoping I will get it before a war erupts.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by tovenar

We're also provided with a neocortex (look it up) but religion is specifically designed to appeal to our reptilian cortex (again, look it up).

That's why I don't like religion. Religion is touted about as though it was designed to be used by our analytical centers, but you know what it appeals to most? Survivalism. Remember what terrible things we've done in the name of survival, whether or not they were necessary? Exactly.

Maybe YOU should look it up, Mclean's "triune brain" model is 40 years old, and has been obsolete for over a decade and a half. Most of Persinger's claims about religion in the brain have been completely debunked--some of them by his own research assistants.

Anti-religionists hope that religion is somehow "less evolved" than rationality. But evolutionary theory doesn't contain any sense of 'progress' so implicit in the triune brain model (and in the biases of many atheists, for that matter). Religion, especially as exemplified by the faiths with millions or billions of adherents, addresses the whole of the human self.

As Mercea Eliade and so many others have pointed out, religious systems employ both rational frameworks as well as techniques of ecstasy. The complex theologies of the major religions are exercises in rational debate and gave rise to applications like the unparalleled dialogues of the Talmud or the scholastic method of Aquiinas---which in turn contributed to the dialectic nature of what we consider "scientific method."

The aspect that enrages materialists so much is that religion also contains the element of ecstasy, which science is unprepared to acknowledge as a source of insight.

McLean's "triune brain" model merely reinforced the derogatory attitude of materialists toward human activity for which they already had no respect.

It's sort of like color-blind people telling you that there are no colors between yellow and green; and anyone who believes in chartreuse is a deranged bigot.

Love ya right back.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by tovenar

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by tovenar

Maybe YOU should look it up, Mclean's "triune brain" model is 40 years old, and has been obsolete for over a decade and a half. Most of Persinger's claims about religion in the brain have been completely debunked--some of them by his own research assistants.

Anti-religionists hope that religion is somehow "less evolved" than rationality. But evolutionary theory doesn't contain any sense of 'progress' so implicit in the triune brain model (and in the biases of many atheists, for that matter). Religion, especially as exemplified by the faiths with millions or billions of adherents, addresses the whole of the human self.

As Mercea Eliade and so many others have pointed out, religious systems employ both rational frameworks as well as techniques of ecstasy. The complex theologies of the major religions are exercises in rational debate and gave rise to applications like the unparalleled dialogues of the Talmud or the scholastic method of Aquiinas---which in turn contributed to the dialectic nature of what we consider "scientific method."

The aspect that enrages materialists so much is that religion also contains the element of ecstasy, which science is unprepared to acknowledge as a source of insight.

McLean's "triune brain" model merely reinforced the derogatory attitude of materialists toward human activity for which they already had no respect.

It's sort of like color-blind people telling you that there are no colors between yellow and green; and anyone who believes in chartreuse is a deranged bigot.

Love ya right back.

This is probably going to offend some people...

[spoiler]Rational Frameworks.

Some guy walks around claiming to be God, spouting off the same things another guy 3000 miles east said 4 centuries before AND embodying all the characteristics of the Gods of the people 500 miles to the west almost 9 centuries before YET there is no written record of this man, other than the few books by his followers.

A "Holy Land," which has caused countless wars and endless numbers of people dying based on nothing but religious fervor, and to be quite honest, speculation.

This same religious fervor directly caused the Dark Ages, killing women and children and destroying art and intellectual creations, not to mention forming their own private army to kill non believers.

That's just Christianity. The Muslims and Jews are just as guilty. Those are just the big three.

Nothing rational about preaching good will towards men and then killing him.[/spoiler]

edit on 8-8-2012 by mkmasn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent

If you think that anyone is a winner or is on a winning team...especially in a case where some calamity that causes the death of a lot of people...then you are sorely mistaken.

It makes me sad to think that people associate their religious beliefs with what the result of such a disaster would create. Take it from someone who has seen horrific things...no one wins...there are only those who survive and those who do not.

I do not worry much about Nuclear War because we are at a level of Tech. that has gone far beyond this nightmare and we can actually negate a moderate attack and within a few years negate a full scale attack. What I worry about is what Nature can unleash upon us and how we are helpless against such forces. Worse is the inability to even get Congress to spend a few Million to keep tracking Near Earth Objects as these are the kind of things that given proper warning...we could do something about.

All one has to do is look at the Ice Core samples and know that an ELE is just a matter of...TIME.
Split Infinity

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   
wrong thread.....

edit on 8-8-2012 by BIHOTZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

I did not say I agree with the war in Iraq or any war against another country.

911 was, in my book a false flag operation by "false, pretend, Christians".

The war I am speaking of is between God and Lucifer period.

Read The Black Awakening by Russ Dizdar and Politics, Prophecy & The Supernatural and The Cosmic Chess Match by LA Marzulli.

Then try reading Corrupting The Image by Douglas Hamp.

You responded having no idea where I am coming from.

"A new commandment I give unto you. Love one another as I have loved you. - Jesus".

The politics of this country (USA) suck and so does this world because those that are in power are corrupted and have sold their souls for power, fame, glory and money.

Uploaded by Brightstarblog7 on Jan 28, 2011

Jesus said, His Kingdom is not of this world so you cannot find Him in physical things church buildings, education , doctrines : His Kingdom is Spiritual not physical , if you have not Jesus in your heart, mind, soul and spirit , then you are not living in the presence of the Lord..

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

My reply was more of a response to your I am on the winning team statement. How can you logically justify this statement? It appeared that you were referring to your religious beliefs as they apply to a calamity. I do not believe in a HELL as logic dictates that if there is a GOD then even with Free Will...a supposed Creator would have made us with the ability to make the WRONG CHOICES. A Creator could have made us without the ability to make wrong choices thus it would be that GOD that is at fault.

Logic always trumps Faith as regardless of a persons belief...there are HOLES in the LOGIC of that belief.

Only MAN could have written so many Texts of Religion that have so many Illogical Foundations. Split Infinity

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by nimbinned
reply to post by mkmasn

I don't see having a relationship with God as being 'passive'. In fact it's the opposite, as I am created and a creator. It is empowering.

If you're not comfortable with the idea of allowing a 'higher power' to help you during times of tribulation, then just use some other tool or coping strategy, whatever that may be. If it's works for you, then all well and good.

Peace

* Ned
edit on 4-8-2012 by nimbinned because: just because

People only know God when they NEED God; especially when disaster strikes. Up until then, all is well. As soon as something bad happens......they want to call on HIM? Funny thing is.....HE NEVER ignores their prayers.....as much as they ignore HIM. We live in a world of HYPOCRITES!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join