It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do American Olypic Atheletes Cry when they Win a Medal?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
We've been watching, we see it nearly every time.

Someone wins a medal, the National Anthem plays, someone cries.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

I ask you....Why do you think they are crying? I would hope that it's the culmination of years of hard work, frustration....dreams realized. Personal achievements are meant to be celebrated. I have no problem with that. No reason to hide your pride in your accomplishments. No one else should take credit for what you've achieved.

Thing is, I sense something else. Are they proud of themselves?

Of course!

But why is that pride masked by some overarching false national sentiment? Is it false at all?

Are they proud of what this country was founded upon (the triumph of the will of free humanity)? Or is it some jingoistic glee pointed at the military might of our country and the needless deaths of millions of civilians over the decades as a result of wars fought to protect our "freedom"?

Am I the only one that understands the difference between patriotism and jingoism?

Am I making too much of this?

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by wheels

Wow

Now if that isn't a potentially loaded group of questions I don't know what is.
I guess we can start by asking you.

Have you ever achieved or accomplished something you thought was nearly impossible to achieve or accomplish? Something you worked your heart out for with all your being?

Ever feel extreme gratitude for whatever it is that's right or good in your life?

edit on 2-8-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I'd say it's because now their country finally has some real gold. BAM!

Sarcasm aside, these atheletes train their entire life to hold the gold medal for their particular event. They eat, sleep, live and breath for it. I couldn't imagine the emotions that would be flowing through them when they're awarded the gold medal.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Yes and they are crying because the government taxes them on their medals.

www.washingtontimes.com...
edit on 2-8-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
IMO it is the combination of all the years of training and hard work, the criticism they received, and the joy of believing in yourself and it paying off.

Especially if you are the proverbial "little guy" in the competition, that feeling of accomplishment on that grand of a stage warrants a few tears, I have no problem with that, its a melting pot of emotions at that moment...

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by wheels

"A non-doer is very often a critic-that is, someone who sits back and watches doers, and then waxes philosophically about how the doers are doing. It's easy to be a critic, but being a doer requires effort, risk, and change."
~Dr. Wayne W. Dyer

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Yes. And I truly hope they're crying for the right reason.

It's just that I really worry about the direction our country has taken over the past decade or so. I worry that personal achievement is taking a back seat. Recent comments from our president ("you didn't build that"), the illegal wars and proliferation of drones, the villainization of people that profess ideals upon which this country was founded (I shouldn't have to explain this to you. I've followed your posts over the years, and you're someone to be admired), etc.

I ask you...Why do they cry when anthem is played? When the flag is unfurled? What does the flag mean today?

Are they now masking their pride in personal achievement for fear of being called "un patriotic"?

These are honest questions. They aren't loaded. I honestly wonder, and I wish didn't have to. I wish that our government behaved in a manner that would elicit pride.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I would like to figure out how you got all of this from someone crying with joy because they accomplished the highest point of their profession/career/life. These athletes are there because of dedication and hard work. Most of them have dedicated their lives to these sports more than they have anything else. There's nothing more to it.
edit on 2-8-2012 by FidelityMusic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

That could be it too.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by wheels

i know what your trying to say here, its ok i think its funny and true

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

Originally posted by wheels

"A non-doer is very often a critic-that is, someone who sits back and watches doers, and then waxes philosophically about how the doers are doing. It's easy to be a critic, but being a doer requires effort, risk, and change."
~Dr. Wayne W. Dyer

How do you know what I do (or don't do) in life?

How do you know what I've risked, or why I don't sleep at night?

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by wheels

I honestly don't know who that reply was geared towards but come on. They are Olympic Champions who feel excited and proud of themselves and yes, there may be some National Pride. Not everyone hates their own country. [That doesn't mean they agree with everything done in their name by the Government]

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Actually, a lot of people dont talk about this, and i might get banned for mentioning it, but the 'medals' are actually made of a very toxic chemical that causes tears.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
as an english person i'd say, because americans are very passionate people, and i both love them for it and find it very irritating. I'd say in the states, if you cry people respond more positively than in the UK where most'd think you were a wee pansy. Cultural differences eh? they can be amusing from time to time but mean nothing really.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
It's because they appreciate the effort and sacrifice they have given to their sport. Your average fat, rat like yank will never understand.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by wheels

Its about realizing a great personal accomplishment.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7
Actually, a lot of people dont talk about this, and i might get banned for mentioning it, but the 'medals' are actually made of a very toxic chemical that causes tears.

Also the Gold Medals are only 1% real gold
Another reason to cry perhaps
But I think Slayer said it best - The years of self sacrifice and working towards a personal and heart felt dream

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
it's just a chemical reaction to anabolic
if the above is not the true reason then it's a reaction to the true meaning of the "Games"

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

It was aimed at you, and I suppose you're right.

I hope you're right. I just worry that we've become programmed to weep at the very sight of our flag.

I wish I could just automatically take it at face value like I used to. I long for those days, and I honestly wish I could have them back.

Oh, and I don't hate my country. I hate the banks that took over our country, and it saddens me every time someone weeps in the presence of a flag that doesn't stand for what it was originally intended.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
It is not just the American athletes that cry nor is it just medal winners.

I have seen some cry because they didn't achieve their dreams mostly thanks to the bloody Americans

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join