It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do American Olypic Atheletes Cry when they Win a Medal?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7
Actually, a lot of people dont talk about this, and i might get banned for mentioning it, but the 'medals' are actually made of a very toxic chemical that causes tears.

why are you posting such silliness?

when athletes win it's relief that makes them cry

hmmm, suspicious,

methinks you are deflecting with the "toxic medals"

to cover up the real conspiracy

that when a miss universe wins and they place the crown on her head
and she cries AND goes into convulsions

it's because an archontic monster from the lower planes is taking possesion of her.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by artistpoet

Can you see this young lass crying..............No Way - She is from the small market town where I live and we don't cry because we are Tough Yorkshire Folk Here
But seriously the whole town celebrated - there are posters saying "Well Done Liz" and flags everywhere - our local paper heralded her as the Pride of our little town

Of course if she had lost she would have got her butt booted

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by CallYourBluff

Ha - Yes I must have missed -

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
One more question for everyone.....

If it isn't really a nationalistic event, why have flags and national anthems and such?

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by wheels
We've been watching, we see it nearly every time.

Someone wins a medal, the National Anthem plays, someone cries.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

They do it because they know how to exploit the media with the aim of prolonging their fame. Think of how many television appearances this might bring, how many product endorsements it might help them get?

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by learnatic

We've been watching, we see it nearly every time.

Someone wins a medal, the National Anthem plays, someone cries.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

They do it because they know how to exploit the media with the aim of prolonging their fame. Think of how many television appearances this might bring, how many product endorsements it might help them get?

Interesting point.

Never thought of that.

Olympic Atheletes tend to make a ton of jack ex post facto. Mary Lou Retton and alla that.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by wheels

Am I making too much of this?

yes

edit to add - I'm watching some gymnasts cry right now

been watching different people from different countries cry all day...

god - I love the Olympics

edit on 8/2/2012 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by wheels

Because they are the best in the world at something.

2nd

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Maybe because they feel sorry you couldn't spell 'Olympics'?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

"A non-doer is very often a critic-that is, someone who sits back and watches doers, and then waxes philosophically about how the doers are doing. It's easy to be a critic, but being a doer requires effort, risk, and change."
~Dr. Wayne W. Dyer

How do you know what I do (or don't do) in life?

How do you know what I've risked, or why I don't sleep at night?

Because you would not need to ask the original question in the first place!

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   
it always reminds me of north Koreans crying at pictures of their leader.it could be thirty years of neo liberal,wishy washy,touchy feely,breed them soft indoctrination.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by wheels

Well obviously since you have no idea why people cry over pure joy, than it can't have been a huge accomplishment.

Ryan Locht, the second place winner after Phelps, has a birthday today. He is celebrating....
by not going into a pool.

These are their whole lives, they beat out thousands or millions and excessively trained to get where they are. They give up any sense of normalcy to do this.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7
Actually, a lot of people dont talk about this, and i might get banned for mentioning it, but the 'medals' are actually made of a very toxic chemical that causes tears.

And diamonds cause BJ's so I've heard.

Nothing wrong with blubbing tears of joy and elation.
edit on 3-8-2012 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by wheels

No, you are not. George Orwell asked himself the same questions 67 years ago. The answers he came up with are still well worth reading today.

The Sporting Spirit by George Orwell.

The Olympic Games are not really about competition between individual athletes; they are about competition for prestige between nations. What happens or the track, field, pool, ring, etc., is okay; every single other thing about the Games is disgusting.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by getreadyalready

You're a wimp. A lump in my throat swelled up but I made it through. I even survived watching the Titanic. My Girlfriend at the time didn't. I sat with her for about 10/15 minutes at the end of the movie consoling her while she got it together. When we finally stood up to leave and take her home I noticed the theater was still almost full with guys consoling their dates

Ya, I was fine through Titanic, and I laughed at my girlfriend in that one, but once or twice I've been caught when I least expect it! Marley and Me was pretty close too!

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Don't even mention Marley and Me. Son switched channels the other night, so there I am trying to do my makeup before going out as the dog dying scenes come on. Went out looking like Alice Cooper.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Ok, time to man up.

Looks around, sees nobody is paying attention, Marley and me didn't either but......

the Notebook got me

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria

Don't even mention Marley and Me. Son switched channels the other night, so there I am trying to do my makeup before going out as the dog dying scenes come on. Went out looking like Alice Cooper.

Yep, I'm a tough guy, but that one is a heart-wrencher. I had a wonderful dog for 15 years, he was a little bit of a trouble-maker when he was young, but he was a great friend, he got me through a fire and a long recovery, a divorce, a new marriage, two babies being born, a move to a new state, and he was right there being loyall and giving up that unconditional love the whole way. He committed suicide by Dorito's bag just after his 15th birthday. Just stuck his head in there for those last few crumbs, fell over and went to sleep. It was sad and comical and probably exactly how he would have wanted to go out. He's buried under a pear tree in the back yard now. I think the only 2 times my current wife of 6 years has seen me cry were right after I buried him, and then while I watched that stupid movie.
edit on 3-8-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Yeah, it's likely I blub for much the same reason. The dog I'd had since I was 8, I had to take him to be put to sleep when I was 8 months pregnant with oddly enough the evil child that ruined my makeup by switching channels on me. My dad couldn't face it, so I manned up took him in, soothed him and bought him back home to be buried. Glad I was with him though....

Oh god, started me off again....

The Notebook had me and daughter sobbing for a good hour. One of those silly ones where you laugh at each other crying your eyes out and then sob uncontrollably, rinse and repeat..

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Ok, time to man up.

Looks around, sees nobody is paying attention, Marley and me didn't either but......

the Notebook got me

Really?

I haven't seen it, but I've been dared by my wife and her friends to sit and watch it with them some night. I might have to take them up on their challenge.

Back to the Olympics topic....
Watching the Russian gymnast lose last night and just sob and sob over a silver medal, and listening to the announcers continually talk about Michael Phelps being "out-touched" for one race where he got a silver medal makes me think of a more pertinent question. Why are people so disappointed over a Silver Medal? A Silver Medal in the Olympics, on the World's Stage, coming down to 5/1000th of a second, or one 1/8th of an inch on a landing or a twist for 5/1000th of a point, and for some reason it is a major disappointment? Shouldn't all the medalists be thrilled with their accomplishments? Shouldn't we all realize that when a competition is decided that closely that there is no real winner or loser, the scores are so close, and there are so many factors involved, that all the medalists deserve the feeling of victory.

The Russian gymnast last night, on her last run was far better than Gabby, but it just wasn't quite enough. The other American got left out of the Bronze medal, because they had a perfect tie for 3rd place, but the tie-breaker decision was to take 3 of the top 4 scores, and she was just nudged off the podium.

When these folks are competing at such a high level, and it comes down to such an insanely close competition, and there are uncontrollable factors involved like depending on a judge's opinion, or like swimmer being 1/1000th of a second slower off a block, or catching just a piece of a wake or a draft from another swimmer, it amazes me that we wonder why they cry when they win, and why they cry when they lose. Just being there in the first place is AMAZING!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join