It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do American Olypic Atheletes Cry when they Win a Medal?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by wheels

I would say it's just an overwhelming experience.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by wheels

I guess they are overwhelmed by happiness of years of hard work? How would you feel if you earned what you have been training for? Being bestowed the gold freakin medal in your sport is a big thing..

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by lifeform11
It is not just the American athletes that cry nor is it just medal winners.

I have seen some cry because they didn't achieve their dreams mostly thanks to the bloody Americans

There again maybe it's because they are still lagging behind China in the medals table.
Do you ever see see the Chinese cry???

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by lifeform11
It is not just the American athletes that cry nor is it just medal winners.

I have seen some cry because they didn't achieve their dreams mostly thanks to the bloody Americans

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by artistpoet

No - they just cheat and try to throw matches - and then quit.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
They cry for the same reason your mom cried when she gave birth to you.

All the BS pain and drama of 9 months and then POW! You pop out.

All of that hard work for the ultimate prize.

That's why.

Duh.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by wheels

Why mention American Athletes specifically? All the medalists cry when their anthems are played. A lot of them cry when they lose too.

Have you ever gotten a lump in your throat when watching or experiencing something that touched you deeply? The last time I cried at a movie was at "Friday Night Lights" of all things.
I don't know why, but there were several times I got that lump in my throat, and then near the end when Tim McGraw finally tells his son he is proud of him, I finally cried.

For many of these athletes they are young and amateur, and this is the biggest moment of their life!

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
So.

You guys are saying its okay to root for the bad guys once in a while?

I just wish I didn't feel like it was my country playing that role.

I suppose I didn't impart the deeper meaning in my sentiment in an effective enough manner. My apologies.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by wheels

Why mention American Athletes specifically? All the medalists cry when their anthems are played. A lot of them cry when they lose too.

Have you ever gotten a lump in your throat when watching or experiencing something that touched you deeply? The last time I cried at a movie was at "Friday Night Lights" of all things.
I don't know why, but there were several times I got that lump in my throat, and then near the end when Tim McGraw finally tells his son he is proud of him, I finally cried.

For many of these athletes they are young and amateur, and this is the biggest moment of their life!

Excellent point.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

No - they just cheat and try to throw matches - and then quit.

Yes I forgot about that bet they wish they could

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
ain't that just because they are really happy with getting the medal? i would cry too if i won a medal that i worked really really hard for it.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

You're a wimp. A lump in my throat swelled up but I made it through. I even survived watching the Titanic. My Girlfriend at the time didn't. I sat with her for about 10/15 minutes at the end of the movie consoling her while she got it together. When we finally stood up to leave and take her home I noticed the theater was still almost full with guys consoling their dates

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   

not very often, i believe they see it as a form of weakness.

the only time i can remember is when their hurdler had to pull out injured in Beijing.

here he is training.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
All I really know is that China is well on it's way to ruining sport. Too much money and too many people. There are more snooker tournaments in china than the UK. Angers me beyond belief but it seems people are willing to sell integrity and pride these days.

edit on 2-8-2012 by CallYourBluff because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Leaders

1 China 18 - 11 -5 [34]

2 United States 18 - 9 - 10 [37]

edit on 2-8-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I can see why the atheletes cry. Years of training for that one special moment. Total Bliss.

But I don't like it when the fans are crying - saying "We Won" or "We Lost".

Guess What. "We didn't win - The Athelete Won" and you watched.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Can you see this young lass crying..............No Way - She is from the small market town where I live and we don't cry because we are Tough Yorkshire Folk Here
But seriously the whole town celebrated - there are posters saying "Well Done Liz" and flags everywhere - our local paper heralded her as the Pride of our little town

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Hey, I shed a little tear myself.
and i was sitting on a Laz-e-Boy recliner.
I am proud of them.
favorite sons and daughters representing our country,

Can't help it, I'm just proud of them.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pedro4077
I can see why the atheletes cry. Years of training for that one special moment. Total Bliss.

But I don't like it when the fans are crying - saying "We Won" or "We Lost".

Guess What. "We didn't win - The Athelete Won" and you watched.

Well said.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by artistpoet

Can you see this young lass crying..............No Way - She is from the small market town where I live and we don't cry because we are Tough Yorkshire Folk Here
But seriously the whole town celebrated - there are posters saying "Well Done Liz" and flags everywhere - our local paper heralded her as the Pride of our little town

but Liz did cry.. You must have missed it..

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join