It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese teen kills 9 in knife attack. This is a Call to ban Knifes in America

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Dont forget that Obama didn't sign the offical gun ban. Dont get ahead of yourselves.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by twistedlogic

You can point out the facts until you are blue in the face. Everytime there is one of these kinds of threads, the antigun brigade repeat the same lies over and over.

20 million registered hunters out there, comparing the numbers of hunters to criminals alone proves how miniscule they are. Add in all the people that just shoot for sport, the people that carry for defense, or just use for home defense and the number is like .000001% of gun owners use them in crimes.

Not to mention most of the guns used in crimes are illegal guns, from being stolen, to being smuggled out of the plant with no serial, to replicas with a few simple gunsmithing modifications.....
edit on Fri, 03 Aug 2012 04:23:33 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
Must of had some mad ninja skills to kill 9 people with just a knife.

Hard to fathom that.

Hard to fathom? ... I have knives for cooking that would cut your finger open barely touching it. Not suited for the purpose of stabbing, but I could cut someone and they probably wouldn't even feel it until I'm a few yards away. And I know guys with combat knives more to the task and possibly even sharper. Worse yet, I know a guy who does knife disarming classes for police.. I have no doubt someone with his skill sets could cut through a throng of people silently before anyone noticed what he was doing. There's a reason why knives and swords (just longer knives) have been the choice weapon of humanity for thousands of years.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

Look OP, Camaro guy I guess whatever, I couldn't care less if they ban knives. Hell, they can ban sticks and stones
because Bigfoot beats on trees and throws rocks at people.

As long as they don't come after my guns.

edit on 3-8-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Yes right, ban all knives, put all chefs into prison 'cause they got loads of them.

I can kill you with a spoon or a stick as well, should we ban sticks and spoons, too ?

What if I force an Apple down your throat and make you suffocate ? Ban Apples ?

The OP is ridiculous beyond belief.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Here's a hypothetical situation.

I'm 17, I act under the same circumstances he did, instead I use my hands (fist, fingers, knuckles, skin cells, so on) no weapon apart from that.

I kill 9, injure a few others.

Let's ban fists! Let's ban fingers! Let's ban hands!

Another.

I use a fork instead of my fists. Ban forks.

I use a plastic bag. Ban them too!

I use a rubber ducky. Banned.

Maybe I'll stomp some with my Doc Martens (no connotation or puns intended). Ban!

Why ban knives? What makes them any different to any other item used. The object itself is nothing but a piece of hard substance fashioned in such a manner that it's sharp or whatever. It requires a user.

A computer doesn't create or write a virus by itself does it? It requires a user to design the virus.
A knife doesn't create death (somewhat of an oxymoron) does it? It requires a user to do so.

edit on 3/8/2012 by Sierra312 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Obviously an Assault Knife...Fully Automatic too.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

What is he, a medical student who is also trained in aiming for arteries? I mean, really.

I still say it's surprising to me. The arteries are well protected deep under skin and tissue. If they were on the surface, then I'd get it.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Well I guess Chefs are screwed then

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by daynight42

Slicing someone's arms open it's kinda harder not to hit an artery, than it is to hit one. A knife or sword with a good edge will go through tissue and tendons like butter.

edit on Fri, 03 Aug 2012 06:24:25 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

edit on Fri, 03 Aug 2012 06:30:02 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

edit on Fri, 03 Aug 2012 06:31:30 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
Please read below, This is a call to ban all knifes in america. Even though this happened in China, we all know it’s only a matter of time before there is a mass murdering of innocent people via knife attack here in America.

A teenager has been arrested after killing nine people and wounding four others in a knife attack in northeast China, state media reported Thursday.

The 17-year-old, who was identified only by his surname Li, barged into the home of his girlfriend armed with a knife following an argument and killed two relatives of the girl, the Legal Daily said.

As he left his girlfriend's home in Liaoning province's Xinbin county, he stabbed six more people to death and wounded five, it said.

One of the injured died Thursday in hospital, the paper said.

news.yahoo.com...

This is just outrages. How did this teen get his hands on a knife? Who sold him the knife? He killed 9 people, that’s close to the 13 people killed at columbine! Clearly the knife is to blame. If only we here in America would have stricter knife regulations maybe we can avert any future knife attacks.

Maybe we could pass laws and set up a system of restrictions and background checks on all persons trying to purchase knifes. I think a good restriction is to ban all knifes that are over 1-1/2inches. So for those people that want to buy a knife for eating they can do so. Anything larger then that would be a red flag for a person wanting to kill people.

Again, this would have never happened if this kid did not get his hands on a knife.

Rant off

If you have not guessed by now, I’m clearly being sarcastic of this issue. I bring up this article to show all those people that want to ban guns that guns are not the problem, crazy people are the problem. Guns don’t kill people, people kill people!

China, being a heavily regulated anti-gun state, makes it completely illegal to own any form of a gun. Yet some crazy person found a way to kill 9 people without a gun. But how could this be? How could he kill 9 people without a gun. Hummmmm????? Maybe it’s because he’s crazy person???? No, clearly it’s the knife that did this.

rant off again

edit on 2-8-2012 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

What a sad story, but remember its not the weapons that kill people
PEOPLE kill people

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
I, We, You, Trey could kill with a string, rope, stick, rock, water, bottle, club, gun and amo, bow and arrows, spear, car, truck, motorcycle, poison, acid, nail, knife, sharp metal object, or any host of unlisted ways. Is this grounds to deny possession of any of these objects. If you think so, then you are in need of a little reality education
edit on 3-8-2012 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Save your post for when it happens here but they probably will ban knives in China.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by H1ght3chHippie

Yes right, ban all knives, put all chefs into prison 'cause they got loads of them.

I can kill you with a spoon or a stick as well, should we ban sticks and spoons, too ?

What if I force an Apple down your throat and make you suffocate ? Ban Apples ?

The OP is ridiculous beyond belief.

Maybe you should have actually READ the OP and you would see the part where he says, "I am clearly being sarcastic"

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
A knife has plethora of uses.

Guns have only one.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by VelvetSplash

That's ignorant. A knife only has one purpose, to cut. A gun only has one purpose, to fire bullets. Both have many applications however.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint

If you have not guess by now, I’m clearly being sarcastic of this issue. I bring up this article to show all those people that want to ban guns that guns are not the problem, crazy people are the problem. Guns don’t kill people, people kill people!

And if you don't allow citizens to have guns, those crazy people won't have access to them. Sure people may be better protected in very rare situations, but it's statistically obvious that guns increase homicide, those deaths outweigh the lives saved by a citizen owning a gun.

Actually despite higher gun ownership than ever before and looser gun laws than in the 1970s crime has dropped since 1991. Homicide rates with guns are lower than they were in the 1980s. The first states to completely embrace concealed carry like Florida and Texas saw large double digit drops in the murder rate in less than twenty-four months.

The stats do not point to increased murder rates because of more guns. In fact what we tend to see is that nations with stricter gun laws tend to have higher rates of violent crimes. Violent crimes in the UK are about 2,000 for every 100,000 people. In America it is about 466 violent crimes per 100,000 people (that includes crimes with guns). You are about half as likely to be violently attacked in any way in the US compared to Australia or New Zealand. There is not a single shred of evidence that points to more guns equaling more crime or homicide in America.

In 2008 while Bloomberg was trumpeting his success in reducing "gun murders" in NYC the stabbing murder rate jumped 50%. The entire murder rate actually rose that year.

In 2008, 292 people were shot to death in New York, down from 347 the year before, continuing a longtime slide in deaths by firearms. Over all, homicides of all kinds rose slightly last year, to 523 from 496 in 2007, which was a 45-year low. So far in 2009, about a quarter of killings in the city have been committed with knives or other cutting instruments, about the same percentage as in 2008.

In other words NYC reflect the overall trend in decreasing murder rates (on a per capita basis) in the US. However, getting rid of the guns just meant more people got stabbed and beaten to death. Imagine that murderers just kept right on killing.

Fatal Stabbings Up 50% in 2008

Gun ownership in America is at an all time high, but something was puzzling criminologist in 2011.

In all regions, the country appears to be safer. The odds of being murdered or robbed are now less than half of what they were in the early 1990s, when violent crime peaked in the United States. Small towns, especially, are seeing far fewer murders: In cities with populations under 10,000, the number plunged by more than 25 percent last year.

The news was not as positive in New York City, however. After leading a long decline in crime rates, the city saw increases in all four types of violent lawbreaking — murder, rape, robbery and aggravated assault — including a nearly 14 percent rise in murders. But data from the past few months suggest the city’s upward trend may have slowed or stopped.

Criminology experts said they were surprised and impressed by the national numbers, issued on Monday by the Federal Bureau of Investigation and based on data from more than 13,000 law-enforcement agencies. They said the decline nationally in the number of violent crimes, by 5.5 percent, raised the question, at least in some places, of to what extent crime could continue to fall — or at least fall at the same pace as the past two years. Violent crimes fell nearly the same amount in 2009.

“Remarkable,” said James Alan Fox, a criminologist at Northeastern University. “Given the fact that we have had some healthy declines in recent years, I fully expected that the improvement would slow. There is only so much air you can squeeze out of a balloon.”

Steady Decline in Violent Crime Baffles Experts

Crime rates actually show the exact opposite of what you claim. At the very least they show that there is no correlation between gun ownership and increasing crime rates.

Also previous studies have shown that for every murder with a gun there are about 65 successful defensive uses of a gun. In less than 1% of those incidents is the gun fired. So, are you telling me the saving one life is more important than potentially saving 65?

San Francisco, Charlotte, and Milwaukee have all done studies that found more than half of the "victims" of gun violence are people with criminal histories. In the San Fran study they found 63% of "victims" were criminals with an average of 11 convictions or arrests. They were also more than twice as likely to know their attacker. In other words most "victims" are criminals shot by criminals.

edit on 3-8-2012 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-8-2012 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by VelvetSplash

That's ignorant. A knife only has one purpose, to cut. A gun only has one purpose, to fire bullets. Both have many applications however.

That is ignorant.
Cutting has millions of uses.
Firing bullets only has one.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by nunyadammm

More ignorance. There are many uses for guns. Hunting, fishing, stationary target practice, moving target practice, self defence, off the top of my head. But yeah, only one use....

edit on Fri, 03 Aug 2012 07:33:14 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   

There is nothing that can be done about this as everyone owns a knife.... they are an everyday tool unlike guns.... you dont need a gun for everyday use.... you dont use one for eating, carving, cutting etc....

You cant compare a guns usage to that of a knife.

Having said this, you will get people all over the world who lose it one day and go out and kill whether with a gun or a knife....

Also watching and playing violent games can have an effect on peoples minds.... if they aren't that much in control of their thoughts.... even Films & TV can have the same effect.... I used to watch CSI NY and CSI and even though they started off pretty horrific, they seem to have got moreso... lots of blood, beatings, killings, ... you can also blame movies such as 'SAW' and the like..... some of them are just too chilling to watch and honestly IMO i'd ban such Films!!

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join