It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese teen kills 9 in knife attack. This is a Call to ban Knifes in America

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
If he had a gun he would have only killed a couple of people....

2nd

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
7 with a knife. I can't imagine how many he would have killed with lot's of guns and ammo, 100's?

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by MushroomWig
I was wondering how long it would take before people jumped on the "Video games are to blame!" band wagon. That kind of idiotic thinking makes me sick. I miss the days where violent movies were apparently the cause of all violence in the world, now suddenly it's been shifted to video games for some reason.

By your logical thinking we should also advocate a ban on all kinds of media because it might "have an effect on our influential children's mind". No more books, TV or movies.

It's quite disturbing that people genuinely think video games are the cause for things like this, I mean it's not like violent acts ever happened before the age of consoles...oh wait.
edit on 2/8/2012 by MushroomWig because: More text added

ARE YOU FOR REAL>???? Could you NOT see that my post was dripping with sarcasm!? Dear God I hope all the people that gave my original post stars COULD see the sarcasm and not actually support the banning of violent video games. Dood, I am a gamer. I love my violent video games. My steam account is 250 games exactly, with Counter-Strike: Source, the game shown in my video, being one of my most played and favourites and me and my buddies play. As for censorship, I hate it. WE currently have a Left 4 Dead 2 zombie horror game that when you shoot the zombies (no blood), they disappear 2 seconds after they are killed. It detracts from the gameplay and the atmosphere. Left 4 Dead 1 it was ok to have them corpses and blood as they were called "zombies", where as in Left 4 Dead 2, they weren't zombies anymore, they were "infected Humans". AHAHAH. CENSORED!!!

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
In the United States, on average about 32 people are killed every day with a gun, how man people are killed with a knife?

God Angrily Clarifies 'Don't Kill' Rule

September 26, 2001 | ISSUE 37•34

NEW YORK—Responding to recent events on Earth, God, the omniscient creator-deity worshipped by billions of followers of various faiths for more than 6,000 years, angrily clarified His longtime stance against humans killing each other Monday.

www.theonion.com...

Any thoughts?

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Don't you just love your daily sarcasm.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

Ban knives you say? Really? Anyone has access to a knife. What about a kitchen knife? What if a stabbing takes place in a home setting? Are you going to ban knives from people's kitchens? No. How about we just ban every possible object a person can harm another with, including say... vehicles, hammers, scissors.... You get the idea. Or we could get right to the source and prevent crimes like these by allowing civilians with proper training and a permit to carry firearms in "every state." This way we can get right to the point and "stop" crimes from happening rather than going through a rather redundant list of every possible item a person can cause harm with. Sounds pretty counterproductive if you ask me.

In my opinion, I think there are a large number of civilians out there wanting to do good in regards to using firearms, to prevent crimes. If an individual is angry and hellbent on shooting another, believe me they will find themselves a gun, whether it be legally or illegally. Banning guns will not stop a future criminal from killing. However, allowing freedom to possess firearms, to those permitted, will at least put guns into the hands of those wishing to do good, giving those who are innocent and defenseless a fighting chance against a shooter who previously did not stand a chance.
edit on 2-8-2012 by unb3k44n7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by mandrake
Don't you just love your daily sarcasm.

For real....And here are the actual statistics....

There were 52,447 deliberate and 23,237 accidental non-fatal gunshot injuries in the United States during 2000.[4] The majority of gun-related deaths in the United States are suicides,[5] with 17,352 (55.6%) of the total 31,224 firearm-related deaths in 2007 due to suicide, while 12,632 (40.5%) were homicide deaths.[6] In 2009, according to the UNODC, 60% of all homicides in the United States were perpetrated using a firearm.[7]

en.wikipedia.org...

About 7,548,758 are killed each year by knives.

One should consider a search upon how many murders, result in a conviction in the United States???

Any thoughts?

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

A ban on knives? Really? How about we just ban every possible object a person can harm another with too including, say... vehicles, hammers, scissors... You get the point. Anyone has access to a knife. What if a stabbing is committed in a home setting with a kitchen knife? Are you going to infiltrate people's homes and take away their kitchen knives? No. How about we get right to the most logical choice of prevention and allow civilians, who sport proper training and permits, to carry firearms "in every state". Banning knives sounds pretty counterproductive at best, as there is no way to actually regulate who possesses knives at any given time.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

I disagree with your assessment regarding knives and guns. Knives are designed to do one thing: Sever things. It can be a rope, a chicken, a steak or a person but the knife fulfills its purpose. A "firearm" is designed to do one thing: Fire projectiles. It can be a target, a tree, an animal or a mime but the firearm fulfills its purpose.

I liken the "gun control" issue to substance abuse. A person can abuse or misuse a firearm just as they can substances. Blaming the firearm for killing a person due to the user abusing the tool is nonsensical in my opinion. It would be akin to blaming a person for a substance abuse problem when it is in fact the addictive qualities and potential side effects of the drugs that lead normal people down the path of substance abuse.

In regard to your other points I agree with them for the most part. Perhaps a system of vetting potential firearm owners is a step in the right direction. I can certainly agree that unstable people should not have access to firearms. The real problem with this idea comes from how an "unstable person" is defined(And I use unstable person merely as an example to get my point across. I'm sure there are other considerations).

Indeed, unstable people will find ways to do harm to others even with the most stringent of regulations. For example...the rock and the club are the most basic of tools used by humans thousands upon thousands of years ago. That does not make them any less dangerous in the present day. Humans get bludgeoned to death just as easy today than they did in the stone age.

On the subject of preventing unstable people from bringing harm or death to others I have no ideas. Also, I don't think it is possible. Determination and Will can carry people far. If a person has the will to hurt others and the determination to carry it through.....well, I don't see rocks or tree branches being outlawed any time soon.

While it is true that the more primitive the weapon an attacker users gives the defender a greater chance of victory elements such as surprise or subterfuge(To name just two) come into play that gives the attacker an advantage. I suppose that my point with this tangent of a run on sentence is that I do not believe that random acts of violence will ever be stopped or prevented. Lessened....perhaps.
edit on 2-8-2012 by My_Reality because: ERROR!!

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
Must of had some mad ninja skills to kill 9 people with just a knife.

Hard to fathom that.

not really. You can do some mad damage with a knife.

Consider now, a person with a holstered gun, 25 feet from a person with a knife.. Who will win?

The Knife.

A person can cover 21 feet in 1.5 seconds. This is a known fact.

A person with a knife can take alot of people down before he is taken down. They're the simple form of deadly!

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by unb3k44n7

You really need to learn this word.

Sarcasm

sar·casm [sahr-kaz-uhm]
noun
1. harsh or bitter derision or irony.
2. a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark: a review full of sarcasms.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
Must of had some mad ninja skills to kill 9 people with just a knife.

Hard to fathom that.

I'm saying the same thing to myself. I mean...come on...nobody stopped this 'kid' before he ended up killing nine people? I've seen pictures of people who got attacked with a knife, and they were slashed up and needed to be stitched together, but to kill someone with a knife usually takes multiples stabbings to hit the right places (critical organs). I saw a video of a guy who killed 2 women with a knife and then stabbed himself in the stomach once or twice to try to kill himself (Hara-Kiri style). He lived, the women died. (Video is on a gore website.)

If this guy were really strong or experienced with using the weapon, or the medical teams took a long time to get to the victims (or there was inadequate supplies/training), then I could understand. Or, if he stabbed like 20 or more people and only 9 actually died, I could understand. (Not trying to downplay this, just trying to say that he was not so efficient as to kill each person he came in contact with.)

I mean, really, it is surprising to me that nobody could stop him, and that the ones he stabbed couldn't be saved. I'd like to see what type of knife he used. Must have been pretty long and maybe punctured the lungs.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by bowtomonkey

Thing with guns is that they are noisy. Stabbing people is quieter.

(to the general posters here

Guns don't kill people, sure...it takes a person, but they can make it much easier for someone to kill others. How many people would the CO guy have killed with just a knife or a chainsaw or whatever....a lot less I imagine.

That said, I'm still for allowing guns in private citizens' hands. The criminals will get their guns off the streets anyway. Don't let the only ones with guns be the robbers and cops, and force people to be sitting ducks without cops. That would be just wrong. especially with the US gov't giving away guns to Mexican drug gangs.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
no, i dont think we should give up any rights

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

(Laughing out loud). In that case I want a trident. Tridents for all!

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Guns kill people. Crazy people with knives trying to stab everybody.

Gun carrying man ends stabbing spree in Salt Lake grocery store
That one didn't even need to be fired upon to be halted.

Too bad for China's gun free policies.
edit on 3-8-2012 by jlm912 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Do they want to ban knives or ban idiots from walking down the street with a 20" blade hanging from their belt, because there is a difference.

Why is it all or nothing with America, you can have better gun control without forfeiting your rights to bear arms.

Can you have a rifle/shot gun/hand gun yes IMO
Can you have a M60 no IMO.
Can you have a knife sure, can you walk down a public street with 2 samurai swords strapped to your back hell no.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by WorkingClassMan

Compromise does seem lost on countless numbers, leaders especially.

Too many see black or white. All or nothing, as you stated. After all, you're either with us, or you're with the terrorists.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by daynight42

I'd like to see what type of knife he used. Must have been pretty long and maybe punctured the lungs.

How about a major artery or direct hit to the heart.

Then you will bleed out pretty quick.

I do not see it being an issue with the ability to kill multiple people with a knife.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by daynight42

All it takes is a hit artery really, you got like 2 minutes to live. The aorta gets hit, you got about 3 heart pumps and you are toast.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join