It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Keep Your Eyes on the Ebola Outbreak

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Drudge dropped his updates on the Uganda Ebola outbreak today. However, you should Google News this story every few hours for developments. The info coming out is unclear. Conventional journalists are still using (as of five minutes ago) data showing 14 deaths. But if you go back six or seven hours they are showing at least 18 deaths as of Monday. What is of particular concern about this story is the unusual onset of the disease which prolonged its diagnosis by several weeks allowing the virus to be spread. The incubation period is 2 to 21 days, and the health officials did not announce the outbreak until last Saturday, three weeks after the first victims starting showing symptoms. From reading many articles on this, it looks like the health officials are complacent with the old "Ebola dies out quickly as it kills quicker than it can spread, there's nothing to worry about." But, read the articles, it looks like this bug has been transported all over prior to diagnosis which is considerably different from past outbreaks. I would suggest that if you start seeing signs that the Ebola virus crosses the border that we have a real SHTF moment.

You can also see from the articles that tourism money is now the driving force on what info Uganda is willing to release. August is the heaviest tourist season and they are already suffering massive cancellations. This will no doubt cause spin to be put on the seriousness of traveling to Uganda. This is worth keeping a eye on.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Thank you for this update.

This virus is a horrible virus indeed - one of natures worst; especially with a kill rate up to 90%.

Hopefully it will not turn into a SHTF situation. But if it does, be weary!

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
www.capitalfm.co.ke... hibits-ebola-symptoms/

This came across the wire seconds after my original post. Looks like it is in Kenya. Seriously, flag this and keep it alive.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Longshots

Have been paying attention & thanks for caring. I keep an EYE open because of the PAST swine-bird flues-sars ect. issues and have been considering what happens if one of these air born strains finds another strain to bond with to make pandemic potentials become a reality.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by MentorsRiddle

Rabies is still the top contender. It has a 99.9% fatality rate, only one person has ever survived intact.

55,000 people each year die from rabies.

Funny how a virus is only scary when it is new.

Only 1200 have died from ebola since the 70s.
edit on 1-8-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Ebola is terrifying. if it ever mutates into an airborne virus we are all in real trouble

Keeping a close eye on this as it develops. Hopefully it is short-lived like previous outbreaks.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Yes but it is not airborne and therefore can be quarantined quite easily if a sever outbreak ever happens, the UK for example has eradicated rabies. Also it is no where near as fatal as you make out, it can be treated quite successfully providing the patient seeks help as soon as exposed (generally bitten) it is only once the symptoms develop that it becomes untreatable, the same cannot be said for Ebola.

Ebola is really the nuclear weapon of the virus world, it is able to take hold in a major population centre that has full international access (i.e. its own airport) then the world will need to watch out, if this took hold I would be terrified of leaving the house, or letting my kids out. So far though Ebola has never really managed to take hold and spread wildly, it might be a serious local issue, but I don't expect it to become a pandemic, well not unless it is a weaponised strain that is, god forbid

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

I wonder if anyone from Uganda or surrounding countries are attending the olympics. It would be a major disaster if an athlete from one of these countries or a tourist who visited these countries contracted ebola and attended the olympics and caused it to spread.

Not trying to fear monger just throwing out the possibility. I hope they contain this outbreak for the good of the people of Uganda and any other place that might be affected.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by PrinceDreamer

Outbreaks do happen or 55,000 people wouldn't die each year. And airborne doesn't always equate to being lethal. Both leprosy and TB are airborne but not that easy to catch.

Besides, Ebola isn't airborne.

Rabies may have been eliminated from the UK, but is actually on the rise again in the states because of the encroachment of development on the remaining wild areas.

And yes, if you prevent the symptoms, you may prevent the disease, but once symptoms show, it is 100% fatal.

Which if people think it has been eradicated and is not a problem, are not going to seek treatment for themselves and their pets, when they should.

My point being, there are for more catchy diseases to worry about than the Ebola. You face a much greater risk from the flu.
Depeding on the strain, the flu kills about 30,000 people in the US each year.

That portion of that country will be quarentined for 2 months, and it will be over.

The only way Ebola will ever become an pandemic is through bioterrorism.

While lethal, Ebola is not particularly aggressive.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I've heard about it too. Just how long DOES it take to confirm it? I would think it would take 2 weeks to be sure but I dont know. Containment would take longer if that were the case. Anyway, hope its something else! By the way, did we not have a case of it in the US? A town or was that just a movie? You would think they have that in some Unknown place doing tests and already have some plan, just in case. Sad part is HOW do you Test shouch a thing, and come up with a cure? Rabies is everywhere, so far 14 cases in KS last time I checked. I think only one person but I might have read that wrong. We just had one of them Has-Mat test in Colby, KS of all places. It was Interesting to say the least. Had a picture of it in Cloby free press, notice one small problem though, are you not to cover all seams with tape? Be it as it may, if your gonna test some BIO Treat at least do it right!!!

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

Rabies is still the top contender. It has a 99.9% fatality rate, only one person has ever survived intact.

55,000 people each year die from rabies.

Funny how a virus is only scary when it is new.

Only 1200 have died from ebola since the 70s.

Stop spreading disinformation.

Rabies is a fatal infection of the central nervous system acquired through the bite of a rabid animal. The 100% fatality rate of this infection when left untreated, and its near global distribution (estimated 60,000 human fatalities per year worldwide), makes rabies one of the most significant and dread diseases. While endemic dog rabies is of major concern worldwide, rabies control programs have reduced the number of dog rabies cases in the United States to less than 200/year. However, a large reservoir of rabies exists in wildlife animals (racoon, skunk, bat and fox).

In the United States, 35 cases of human rabies have been reported between 1990 and 2003. Infection is prevented in humans by injection of rabies immunoglobulin followed by a series of injections with rabies vaccine. However, to achieve this success, it is estimated that the cost associated with rabies control exceeds hundreds of millions of dollars annually.

www.wadsworth.org...

It's only fatal when left untreated, but is easily treated in humans even in advanced stages. The treatment may be expensive but it's easily cured.

Ebola on the other hand CANNOT be treated:

There are currently no proven Ebola treatment options that can kill the Ebola virus. Ebola treatment focuses on providing relief of Ebola symptoms as the body fights the virus. This is called supportive care.

Death occurs in 50 to 90 percent of Ebola cases. Ebola research scientists do not understand why some patients are able to recover from Ebola hemorrhagic fever and others are not; however, it is known that Ebola victims usually have not developed a significant immune response to the Ebola virus at the time of death.

I don't understand why you are trying to minimize the seriousness of this outbreak.

The only reason that rabies deaths outnumber ebola deaths is because rabies is much older and much more prevalent, and third world countries do not have access to rabies treatment. If an ebola outbreak were to happen in a populated city I'm guessing it would be pretty ugly.

Care to provide any links to your comments?

Sorry I forgot to add link to the ebola portion of my post, but that has now been corrected.
edit on 1-8-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: link

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

I have been wondering about this same situation myself.
Are there any infected at the olympics?
Have the royals been mingling with the "commoners"?

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by infoseeker26754

The CDC has people placed in Africa just for this very reason. And the reason it has such a high fatality rate is that it is a very poor area, with no hygiene, constant contact with dead animals, and the hospitals reuse needles.
If by chance it were to spread, the mortality rate would be much lower in first world countries.
It only affects hundreds of people,not millions, it is not a very strong virus.

It does not take long to identify ebola because its weakness is that it does manifest within 24 hours, unlike the flu that you can carry around for a week before symptoms arrive, or rabies which you can carry for 6 months.

Yes, a monkey that was imported for testing had ebola.

Much ado about nothing.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by justfrank

Because the starving memebers of a small village in western Uganda bought tickets to the Olympics.

WHO didn't even put any travel restrictions on from Uganda.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

What makes you think Ebola is, or ever was natural? In it's true natural state, it was something classified as Ebola Brahma, which only infected cattle in Africa and South America. How is it that a bovine disease jumped over to humans? The same goes for Bird Flu, H1N1, Swine Flu, etc.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by xXxinfidelxXx

The majority of viruses come from animals, I fail to see the problem here. That is how viruses work, they evolve 6 times faster than we can develope immunity to them, and they evolve to find ever new hosts.

That is how viruses work, and is about as natural as you get.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I hope to never, ever have to put this theoretical hemorrhagic fever treatment to the test, but recent studies indicate that there do exist potential cures which include the following:

Licorice root: In scientific studies utilizing infected small mammals, the test subjects were given massive doses of powdered licorice root. Those receiving the extreme doses were able to ward off and survive the rodent epidemic.

The approximate translation to humans would be 5 grams of powdered root 2-3 times/day, which might prove difficult for a truly sick patient to ingest. If, however, one suspects that they have been exposed to the disease, then taking these large doses may prevent full-blown infection.

A huge note of caution, however: Licorice root consumption, particularly at these doses, will cause rapid potassium depletion. In order to prevent heart failure associated with rapid potassium loss, a potassium supplement must then be taken with the licorice root.

Another scourge of this group of diseases is the bleed-outs. (Hence the name.) Although one might think that thinning the blood in a bleeding situation might be the worst thing you could do, it is actually the associated clotting that goes on that can kill you. Thus, theoretically one should also take unbuffered aspirin (with NO other additives) at 500mgs, 2-3 times per day.

And for those patients who simply can’t get anything down, or even for those who are trying to prevent infection after possible exposure, I cannot say enough about the utilization of magnesium chloride. The standard protocol, for ANY acute, infectious disease, is as follows:

Create a 2.5% magnesium Chloride Hexahydrate solution by dissolving 25 grams of crushed magnesium chloride crystals in one liter of water. This should be enough to last for a number of doses.

The ORAL dosage chart PER DOSE is as follows (as per Professor Piere Delbet, MD, who is now long-deceased):

Children under 6 months: 15 cc’s of the above solution
Children 6 months or older: 30 cc’s of the above solution
Children 1-2 years old: 60 cc’s of the above solution
Children 3 years old: 80 cc’s of the above solution
Children 4 years old: 100 cc’s of the above solution
Children 5 or older & adults: 125 cc’s of the above solution

Now for the frequency of dosing: In ACUTE diseases, such as ebola, give the first two doses three hours apart. After the second dose, wait six hours and give a third dose. Continue to give doses EVERY 6 hours, throughout the 24-hour cycle. As improvement is seen, reduce the dosage to every 8 hours, and then 12 hours, as improvement continues. Once the patient appears cured, CONTINUE to give doses every 12 hours for a number of days.

Now for those patients who might be in bad shape, we would have to resort to IV injections. Just make sure everything is sterilized, of course, before getting the solution ready. To make the solution, simply dissolve 25 grams of magnesium chloride into 100 cc’s of DISTILLED water. Make injections of 10-20cc’s of the solution 1-2 times per day. (In the case of ebola, I would almost certainly start with 2/day.) NOTE: the injections should be given very slowly, it should take you 10-20 minutes to give one injection (figure one cc/minute). Too fast, and you are going to harm the patient.

Polio has been cured using this protocol, another supposedly incurable disease.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
So there is 24hrs to show signs, except most people would think they just caught a cold and pass it off. Add 48hrs for that, least 3 days to move around. CDC is everywhere and thats a good thing. You say Eboli is not as bad as Rabies, but why is Eboli a high level Virus? Hell small-pox is worst then both and you don't even get a shot for that anymore. H1 Ni Changed from a simple flu virus in no time at all. Eboli just might not have had a chance to change yet or grow into something worst, God Forbid! Anyway the point is alot of places are TESTING, what I don.t know why, thats my concern!

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
The incubation period is 2 to 21 days. In this case, the disease did not exhibit the traditional bleeding signs until much later in the outbreak causing a delay in diagnosis. In prior outbreaks the virus never made out of small villages before dying out. This time it is different. Infected people traveled around for 3 weeks before it was diagnosed. I looks like it already has made it to Kenya. So I think we are dealing with a significantly different situation than in times past.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

The only reason it made it out was because the villagers thought the village was cursed with bad luck and left before it got to them.

There are a whole whopping 20 people infected.

So even if half the village ran, only 20 people are infected. that is not even remotely a high infection rate.

You people watch too many movies.

All the people who could be considered possibly infected, are now being monitored, those who are infected, are in the hospital, the workers are wearing PPE.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join