It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Keep Your Eyes on the Ebola Outbreak

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by tw0330

There are 4 subtypes of ebola, 3 of which have caused disease in humans: Ebola Zaire, Ebola Sudan & Ebola Ivory Coast.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
looks like it did make it to the capital. 7 in quarantine

The latest outbreak started in Uganda's western Kibale district, around 200 kilometres (125 miles) from Kampala, and around 50 kilometres from the border with Democratic Republic of Congo.

The fatal case in Kampala was a health worker who "had attended to the dead at Kagadi hospital" in Kibale, Health Minister Christine Ondoa told reporters.

She is believed to have travelled independently to Kampala -- possibly on public transport -- after her three-month old baby died, Ondoa added.

World Health Organisation (WHO) spokesman Tarik Jasarevic confirmed the death in Kampala, but noted that "so far no infections have occurred" there.

Seven people suspected of having the virus have been isolated in Kigadi hospital, Ondoa said.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I'll say I was among those downplaying this because Ebola does have outbreaks in areas of Africa on a surprisingly regular basis when Western media would have us think by movies that it's a super rare thing to appear. It sells movies that way, anyway. Ebola is USUALLY nothing to worry about because it's SO deadly and SO vicious in it's killing power that it burns itself through a small population and burns right out before it spreads into a BIG population area. A Self-Cleaning oven, of sorts...

NOW this has my full attention because cases are in Kampala. Awwww.. Crap, as they say. International flights go out of Kampala. The U.S. had the one near-Ebola outbreak from the Monkey House quarantine center as Hot Zone details, but that's as close as this little beastie has gotten to having a full run in a BIG population isn't it?

I'm not concerned until confirmed cases would be outside that region, and then all the way here.... (and no one is keeping THAT genie in the bottle.. Medical Professionals would tell Uncle to go to a hot place to tell family and friends). Then.. Well... I guess the Bunny will be taking an extended back country exploration, as far from other people as I can get for a few weeks to let things run their course. The thing is nightmarishly fast and efficient.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

55,000 people each year die from rabies.

That is really really hard to believe...55,000 people a year to RABIES!?!? Yeah right rabies is not that bad of a virus unless you never get it treated.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Evanzsayz

Third world countries don't have the money to treat rabies.

edit on 1-8-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evanzsayz

That is really really hard to believe...55,000 people a year to RABIES!?!? Yeah right rabies is not that bad of a virus unless you never get it treated.

Key facts

Rabies occurs in more than 150 countries and territories.
Worldwide, more than 55 000 people die of rabies every year.
40% of people who are bitten by suspect rabid animals are children under 15 years of age.
Dogs are the source of 99% of human rabies deaths.
Wound cleansing and immunization within a few hours after contact with a suspect rabid animal can prevent the onset of rabies and death.
Every year, more than 15 million people worldwide receive a post-exposure preventive regimen to avert the disease – this is estimated to prevent 327 000 rabies deaths annually.
World Health Org

I don't normally consider the UN good for much of anything but in some areas they are the best humanity ever produced. Collecting Statistics would top that list.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   

It's a lot more than I would've guessed, as well.
World Health Org:

Key facts
Rabies occurs in more than 150 countries and territories.
Worldwide, more than 55 000 people die of rabies every year.
40% of people who are bitten by suspect rabid animals are children under 15 years of age.
Dogs are the source of 99% of human rabies deaths.
Wound cleansing and immunization within a few hours after contact with a suspect rabid animal can prevent the onset of rabies and death.
Every year, more than 15 million people worldwide receive a post-exposure preventive regimen to avert the disease – this is estimated to prevent 327 000 rabies deaths annually.

www.who.int...

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Sorry, your post wasn't up yet when I started to reply!
Great minds think alike, I guess

edit on 07/27/12 by glasshouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by MentorsRiddle

Rabies is still the top contender. It has a 99.9% fatality rate, only one person has ever survived intact.

Funny how a virus is only scary when it is new.

Only 1200 have died from ebola since the 70s.
edit on 1-8-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

Stop spreading disinformation.

Rabies is a fatal infection of the central nervous system acquired through the bite of a rabid animal. The 100% fatality rate of this infection when left untreated, and its near global distribution (estimated 60,000 human fatalities per year worldwide), makes rabies one of the most significant and dread diseases. While endemic dog rabies is of major concern worldwide, rabies control programs have reduced the number of dog rabies cases in the United States to less than 200/year. However, a large reservoir of rabies exists in wildlife animals (racoon, skunk, bat and fox).

In the United States, 35 cases of human rabies have been reported between 1990 and 2003. Infection is prevented in humans by injection of rabies immunoglobulin followed by a series of injections with rabies vaccine. However, to achieve this success, it is estimated that the cost associated with rabies control exceeds hundreds of millions of dollars annually.

www.wadsworth.org...

It's only fatal when left untreated, but is easily treated in humans even in advanced stages. The treatment may be expensive but it's easily cured.

Ebola on the other hand CANNOT be treated:

There are currently no proven Ebola treatment options that can kill the Ebola virus. Ebola treatment focuses on providing relief of Ebola symptoms as the body fights the virus. This is called supportive care.

Death occurs in 50 to 90 percent of Ebola cases. Ebola research scientists do not understand why some patients are able to recover from Ebola hemorrhagic fever and others are not; however, it is known that Ebola victims usually have not developed a significant immune response to the Ebola virus at the time of death.

I don't understand why you are trying to minimize the seriousness of this outbreak.

The only reason that rabies deaths outnumber ebola deaths is because rabies is much older and much more prevalent, and third world countries do not have access to rabies treatment. If an ebola outbreak were to happen in a populated city I'm guessing it would be pretty ugly.

Care to provide any links to your comments?

Sorry I forgot to add link to the ebola portion of my post, but that has now been corrected.
edit on 1-8-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: link

My dog got scratched and bit by a rabid skunk, we touched the dog and went and got treated for rabies. I got 5 shots in the ass that day. I had to come back every week for like 2 months and get a rabies shot. The doctors werent sure if i had it or not but they treated me as if i did. But the bright side is that i am up to date on my rabies shots and am good for 7 more years lol

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   

My dog got scratched and bit by a rabid skunk, we touched the dog and went and got treated for rabies. I got 5 shots in the ass that day. I had to come back every week for like 2 months and get a rabies shot. The doctors werent sure if i had it or not but they treated me as if i did. But the bright side is that i am up to date on my rabies shots and am good for 7 more years lol

This doesn't seem right.

First, did you catch the skunk and have it tested? If not, how do you know it had rabies?

Second, did you have you dog tested? Scratched and bit is what it takes, but how do you know?

Third, just touching your dog, unless you put your hands in his "wounds" doesn't make sense.

I call BS!

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

Third world countries don't have the money to treat rabies.

edit on 1-8-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

It's not that "third world countries don't have the money to treat rabies" (or other diseases/afflictions), it's that the people living in third world countries don't have the money for doctors, hospitals, nurses, or medications. The means for treatment is available, but it's not free.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Ebola makes rabies look like child's play.

If it gets in a major airport, kiss life as you know it goodbye

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
And now, I am seeing this:

Could the Ebola outbreak spread to the US?

Just so everyone gets that in the back of their minds..

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Ebola kills by turning your internal organs into soup, literally. As your body disintegrates you bleed out of every orifice on your body and also through some newly created ones. Ebola Soup anyone?

Knowing how bad Ebola is, I cant help but feel sorry for the infected and their families. To those who did'nt see pictures of Ebola-victims take a look at the ppl in the first post of this thread,

edit on 2-8-2012 by Mimir because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yosemite Sam

I call BS!

Independant Online

He contracted rabies from the saliva of a sick stray dog he took in and kept in his shed.

Educate yourself before calling BS on people who have!!!

Taken 1 hour ago from twitter:

Gabriel Gatehouse @ggatehouse

But staff at Mulago hospital talking of moving a body using protective clothing. Feeling we're not being told the whole story #Ebola

Official line at Mulago hospital in Kampala: "no suspected cases of #Ebola here." What happened to the people in isolation? "Sent home."

#Ebola: centre for disease control says only 5 cases confirmed through tests. Is this contained or only just beginning. Trying to find out

Gabriel Gatehouse (@ggatehouse) is: East Africa correspondent for BBC News

So much for CDC?

This is very bad. 18 dead, only 5 tested positive, and everyone has gone home?
edit on 2-8-2012 by harryhaller because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by xXxinfidelxXx
reply to post by MentorsRiddle

What makes you think Ebola is, or ever was natural? In it's true natural state, it was something classified as Ebola Brahma, which only infected cattle in Africa and South America. How is it that a bovine disease jumped over to humans? The same goes for Bird Flu, H1N1, Swine Flu, etc.

I know how, it's called the power of Human Sperm! or Rape in some parts. Human DNA and Brahma DNA coded together, allowing the virus to attack both, hmm sounds pretty simple to me.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Hi, saw your post and wanted to tell of my experience,
I went to Thailand about 20 years ago and was bitten by a dog , i was advised to have rabies shots( rabbid freak:lol
and yeah i had to go to the hospital there a few times and have shots . Then when i got home i had to have more shots freaky!!! .Also took a lot of money even just getting to the hospital by tuk tuk and bus. By the way anyone know how long i am protected from rabies? The ebola sounds scarey hope they get it under control . Cheers Oh yeah when i got my shots they had apparently just moved on from giving needles in the belly button
Cheers
edit on 2-8-2012 by my1percent because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   
The shots are not guaranteed to work, there's less than 50% chance that they worked according to the efficacy rates of the vaccine. If you go down with any form of autoimmune disease (Diabetes Type 1, MS etc) or allergy (Asthma, Eczema etc) in the next 12 months, that will be from the vaccine, make sure you claim compensation, as the system deliberately doesn't track this type of vaccine damage to avoid paying out and putting people off future vaccines.

Originally posted by my1percent

Hi, saw your post and wanted to tell of my experience,
I went to Thailand about 20 years ago and was bitten by a dog , i was advised to have rabies shots( rabbid freak:lol
and yeah i had to go to the hospital there a few times and have shots . Then when i got home i had to have more shots freaky!!! .Also took a lot of money even just getting to the hospital by tuk tuk and bus. By the way anyone know how long i am protected from rabies? The ebola sounds scarey hope they get it under control . Cheers Oh yeah when i got my shots they had apparently just moved on from giving needles in the belly button
Cheers
edit on 2-8-2012 by my1percent because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by xXxinfidelxXx

Well now we also have the introduction of sea lion flue, next it will be doggy flu that should do it to help depopulate us all hey, what a wonderful world we live in NOT!!!

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by PlanetxIsComing

I honestly think the whole issue is very multi-faceted though. It has to do with equal parts experimentation as well as scare tactics. The best way to keep people from being able to react intelligently is to constantly bombard them with news of big new threats, so that when the real big threat comes, they don't know whether it's just another false alarm or not until it's too late.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join