It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The position of the sun has changed. I can see it.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Not only does the sun move in relation to the horizon which creates the seasons, but also the Earth wobbles on its axis which makes the sun appear to move. Again, in relation to the horizon.

Also, you, me and everything on earth, including the earth, and the sun, and our entire solar system, is moving at approximately 2.7 million mph through space. That's the speed the Earth revolves around the sun, (67,000mph) Plus the speed in which the sun revolves around galactic central point. (don't know that one) Plus the speed at which the galaxy moves through space.

So as you can probably gather from that bit of info, the sun absolutely DOES appear to move in relation to the horizon here on this tiny speck of dust we call home.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by crazyguy2012
I live in Florida. I am looking now at the sunset. I have done this many times but I haven't looked in a while. It setting too far north. I wish I had a compass to measure it. Anyone else noticing this? Anyone interested who has a compass handy if you can record your position and the position of the sun maybe we can figure this out?

The sun isn't supposed to move. Therefore, I can only assume (if I am not crazy or disoriented) that the rotation of the earth is changing. I have read that the ice caps in Greenland have melted a significant amount in the last few days. Some say it is global warming or climate change. If the earth's rotation changes then the climate in many areas definitely would change. Essentially think about the equator... It is the hottest place on the planet because that is the middle. Directly east to west or vice versa. If the poles shift a little bit then the equator could begin to run through some other direction.

This can be quite easily prooven if some regions experience climate shift. Some gets colder, and some got warmer. We can for example ask the Eskimos or the Skandinavian whether the length of the day has changed?

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Phage, not discounting your status or credibility in any way...I respect that very much...but at least 6 different people in this thread alone have seemingly personally observed that the sun is at least setting in what seems to be to them (me) further north than in times previous...

Please explain, in layman's terms how this can be. How can, at this time of year, when the sun should be setting further to the south, can it be setting further north? And how can my father, who again has been sitting in the same place for the last 20+ years ask "why is the sun there??"
edit on 29-7-2012 by edaced4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by edaced4

You can make that seven. On Friday on my way home around 7:45pm. I asked my mother who was riding with me, if I was wrong to think that it was strange that the sun was setting so far north. She said, "No. You are right" "Yesterday the setting sun was almost directly in our eyes as we drove west towards home". Yet now the sun was well to our north as we drove the same exact road. I just never noticed the sun setting that far north before. I drive home almost every day around the same time and the sun is always almost directly in my face. I just never noticed it that far north before. I thought it odd enough that I spoke of it out loud, but I quickly forgot about it, until now. It may be normal but it seems strange.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyguy2012

I live in Florida too and the sun does the same thing every day.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyguy2012

Quick, call every President and every astronomer across the planet.

You've discovered something that NOBODY else has!!!

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

Who says all of these things aren't reaimed and don't use auto functions to aim?

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   
About a week whoa neighbor of my mother's told her the sun has been
setting in a different place. And it to was more of a NW then west. It would
have been blown off but this lady walks, rides bikes excessively for some
years now. I Don't have enough experience looking from a particular spot
over time to compare.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I was outside starring at the sun today and I coulda sworn i saw it move as well and then I never saw anything again!

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   

reply to post by DelMarvel

I found your input to be very helpful. If something changed wouldn't we be able to tell by looking at the ancient monuments that are always in alignment. I have looked and looked all over the web since reading your post but could not find anything to show that someone has recently checked to see if they are still in alignment.

Chichen Itza lined up as always at the Spring equinox.

One could also easily make a sextant and demonstrate for themselves that the Sun is in the right place. Or confirm that the North Star is still in the same place (Polaris along with the entire rest of the night sky would all be out of place if the earth had shifted.)

This is the sort of thread you would expect on GLP not here.
edit on 29-7-2012 by DelMarvel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   

I live in Florida. I am looking now at the sunset. I have done this many times but I haven't looked in a while. It setting too far north. I wish I had a compass to measure it. Anyone else noticing this? Anyone interested who has a compass handy if you can record your position and the position of the sun maybe we can figure this out?

The sun isn't supposed to move. Therefore, I can only assume (if I am not crazy or disoriented) that the rotation of the earth is changing. I have read that the ice caps in Greenland have melted a significant amount in the last few days. Some say it is global warming or climate change. If the earth's rotation changes then the climate in many areas definitely would change. Essentially think about the equator... It is the hottest place on the planet because that is the middle. Directly east to west or vice versa. If the poles shift a little bit then the equator could begin to run through some other direction.

It moves with the season. There has been no change that can even be noticed by humans.
It changes slowly over tens of thousands of years with tilt currently decreasing, which means it would do the opposite of what you are claiming.
I live right on border of arctic circle, so even if it changed by a degree, it would be very noticeable here.
Also computerized telescopes would no longer work if it changed like you said, which means that astronomers all over the world would have noticed it.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   

reply to post by isyeye

I understand that and I also have a very good sense of direction. The position of the sun changes constantly. It is more to the south during the winter and more to the north in summer. But to me it seems like it is about ten degrees to far north than it should be. Maybe fifteen degrees off... It seems to be a little too far north.

That settles it then.. Your memory of the past sun position is either faulty or you somehow traveled from another dimension where earth was oriented differently in the orbit. I think the memory one is the most logical one.
If it changed by only 3 degrees, then we would have had midnight sun here and yet that is not the case. Nights have not gotten brighter either, even though even 1 degree change would significantly alter how bright our summer nights are.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arduous
The earthquake in Japan shifted Earth's axis by about 6.5 inches... here is the link. Maybe that's why it looks different?
www.nasa.gov...
edit on 28-7-2012 by Arduous because: (no reason given)

Only problem is that is less than the yearly variations and slow decline in tilt caused by milankovich cycles and would not be noticeable to any living creature.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by dainoyfb
So why has the software that I use to locate astronomical objects telling me the sun and everything else is in the right place and it hasn't been updated on my computer for years? Why does my telescope which was manufactured in 2007 still point at the Sun when use the auto point function on it? Why are all of our TV satellite dishes still receiving signals while not being re-aimed? Why is there no indication of change from SOHO, Stereo, and all of the other solar observation missions? Why are all of the Earth observation satellites still pointed at the right locations?

Exactly. I recall checking even my astronomy software from 85-90s on my old commodore amiga system last time such a thread popped up. It showed the same as stellarium, which proves again that nothing has changed.
I really wish people here could use their head a bit. It seems like people are so bored that they want to believe something has changed.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   

reply to post by Arduous

that could explain it. 6.5 degree change in axis may change the way I see the sunset from here. I will research that. thanks.

It's INCHES, not degrees.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   

reply to post by Arduous

that could explain it. 6.5 degree change in axis may change the way I see the sunset from here. I will research that. thanks.

Why do you keep ignoring those that actually know what you are talking about?? You are proving my last response that you and others here are just wishing that something changed. Also learn to read.. It is not degrees and such a change would not even change it by even 0.1 degree.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   

reply to post by dainoyfb

Unless someone knew this was going to happen in advance I don't think your software would be able to locate these positions accurately if something was up. I don't think that scenario is likely but it is possible. I never really rely on computers. I will have to find a good compass and check these things out myself.

And that is EXACTLY THE POINT!! Computers would no longer be able to automatically point telescopes at objects in the sky if anything has changed and that proves that nothing has changed.
Why is this so damn hard to understand?

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by coyote66

This can be quite easily prooven if some regions experience climate shift. Some gets colder, and some got warmer. We can for example ask the Eskimos or the Skandinavian whether the length of the day has changed?

And I am a scandinavian from middle of Norway. Absolutely nothing has changed here, even though it would only take less than 3 degree change for us to experience midnight sun. The sun sets and rises at same in same locations. Our bright summer nights are not brighter or darker than they used to be and sun is still just under horizon during summer nights.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by edaced4
reply to post by Phage

Phage, not discounting your status or credibility in any way...I respect that very much...but at least 6 different people in this thread alone have seemingly personally observed that the sun is at least setting in what seems to be to them (me) further north than in times previous...

Please explain, in layman's terms how this can be. How can, at this time of year, when the sun should be setting further to the south, can it be setting further north? And how can my father, who again has been sitting in the same place for the last 20+ years ask "why is the sun there??"
edit on 29-7-2012 by edaced4 because: (no reason given)

It is NOT further north. It is a unreliable memory or wish thinking. Several people here have proved that nothing has changed, but yet you people keep ignoring that fact.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
There are many famers who have been saying the same thing for a couple of years now it seems.

In my opinion I think its important to keep an open mind as discoveries are made daily that help us understand our world around us. www.binaryresearchinstitute.org...

Given such research we urge the scientific community to keep an open mind on possible forces that might be affecting the sun’s motion, and in turn the earth’s orientation.

But the binary model provides an easy answer: The earth does not wobble. It gradually changes orientation to the fixed stars because the solar system curves through space.

Here is another site that shows clearly how the sun can rise and set in " different" place. www.eaae-astronomy.org...
edit on 29-7-2012 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

Here is link in regards to " hard north" sun rising... Check out the comments!!

theintelhub.com...

edit on 29-7-2012 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join