It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What terrifies you the most

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by ottobot
It's funny, because I don't actually fear anything. The thing that makes me the most upset, though, so I guess I'm "afraid" of it in that I don't like to feel upset is feeling overwhelming love.

One time in the depths of despair I had a "visitation" by something or someone. When it entered the room there was this glow or brightness. I felt a full body hug and a feeling I had never felt before that I can only describe as true love. I can tell you with the utmost certainty that there was nothing too fear from that. I can't say this is true for everyone because some experience that with other people. But I have not felt anything like it since.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

one thing that terrifies me is how people seem to have no true understanding of the world around them.

The really scary thing for me about that is whether they really really don't understand or are they just pretending not to, like me?

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by ninjas4321

I fear the future as in where the world is heading.

The reason: we have pollution that is causing problems, education is getting worse, paranoia is leading to people being spied on and treated like cattle and living in more and more security tight type environments, the media in many cases spin, lie, misrepresent or omit certain stories hinting that they do not report what we should know but only what 'others' want us to hear/see, the people running the economy (now or in the recent past) seem to be incapable even though it is their profession. wars seems to be something we must always be having and there are some doubts about the reasons we are told we need them.

there are way to many laws that can be used just to stop a person going about their daily life, society no longer values each other and has lost respect for each other, religious people constantly blaming other people for everything, causing tensions. I could go on and on and probably have not even touched the surface.

everybody is at war with each other, question nothing, acting like it's normal.

it worries me it makes me fear what the future is, but not for me, for my kids. I want pre 20001 back!

edit on 28-7-2012 by lifeform11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I'm very afraid of being put into any situation where I am in any position of even minor importance or responsibility. It scares me to no end and I don't know why.

Also, bugs. I am mortally terrified of bugs. While I have a few other fears, bugs are the only thing that fills me with uncontrollable terror.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
To this day I don't like sleeping with my feet out from under the covers or with my arm hanging off the bed. A habit born from childhood fears i always thought there was alligators under my bed when i turned off the light they were just waiting to bite me i still have this fear of looking under my bed..peace, sugarcookie1

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by QuietInsanity
I'm very afraid of being put into any situation where I am in any position of even minor importance or responsibility. It scares me to no end and I don't know why.

Also, bugs. I am mortally terrified of bugs. While I have a few other fears, bugs are the only thing that fills me with uncontrollable terror.

To this day I can't touch a bug because I get this feeling whenever I touch a bug of something huge grabbing ME.
The second I touch a bug I get that shot of super-empathy run throughout me.
They don't scare me, but that feeling sometimes does when it's powerful enough.

Part of me also knows that it's life, and if we zoom up on them, they are no different then us in some ways...

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
reply to post by yourmaker

one thing that terrifies me is how people seem to have no true understanding of the world around them.

The really scary thing for me about that is whether they really really don't understand or are they just pretending not to, like me?

Just made it all up to comfort everyone to the HARSH reality.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
The tendency of humans to form groups, brainwash themselves and go after others scares me more than anything.

Loved ones dying. I'm not so much afraid of death myself, but I can't stand the thought of someone (or something in the case of a pet) dying and having to deal with that.

If you want to get really deep, reality scares me. Just the sheer realness and uncertainty of its nature. We have no idea how we got here, how all this really works, what we are here for or if its even "real". That's kind of scary when you consider all the different things the truth could be if it's not just some big random happening.

XL5

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I fear having to work the rest of my life to.....live! You/me are at the mercy of a boss that can fire you, the economy and evil co-workers and for what, so we can retire with no will to watch cartoons and giggle like little school children and ontop of that, have failing health? Just to appease the average 9-5'er who put joy and their inner child away long ago and believes life is not suppose to be fair?

I also fear people who do not, can not and will not try to open their minds a bit and discuss and not argue like they are right even before you say anything. Its as though people can not use logic anymore and when you try to use it, it offends them. They are the same people who will throw money at a problem instead of learning about it and fixing it them self. The ones who, if given a "world peace and unity" button, would opt to not press it because it may mean poor people might have the same status as them. I fear people will never wake up one day and say, hmm, you know, I don't have to fall in line and do what I'm told, I don't have to buy things that are overpriced and I am not rewarding anyone who is greedy and sneaky.

I fear not knowing who some one is before I talk to them. There just seems like there are too many ignorant people out there who mistake intelligence for something evil like arrogance. I fear there is no way to tell who I want to spend my life with untill its too late and I have found the wrong person and have already settled for them, only to find the right one after its too late. I fear I am alone.

What I don't fear is the world going down the drain. It would mean the end of blissful ignorance. It may bring people together and make them realize the only way to get through it is to help others, maybe start a small town where skills are traded and no one is left out.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ninjas4321
Its time to get deep people explain what your most mortal fear is not like a phobia were you are scared of clowns but something else something that only you fear like losing a child or falling to live up to someones explanations let it all out and explain why it terrifies you
edit on 27-7-2012 by ninjas4321 because: (no reason given)

I have a fear of run on sentences that are paragraphs long that are difficult to understand. It hurts my brain to the point I think it may overheat or possibly explode.

Another one I have is that there is no justice in the world, that people can get away with whatever they can get away with, that people can suffer just to suffer, die, and that's it. That people can commit crimes and live a great life, and get rewarded for that. Having to live a long life in a world like that is awful. It seems that is what we have...unless you believe in fairy tales, aka Sky Men and Sky Women who protect us all. (They're doing a terrible job of it.)

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by ottobot
It's funny, because I don't actually fear anything. The thing that makes me the most upset, though, so I guess I'm "afraid" of it in that I don't like to feel upset is feeling overwhelming love.

One time in the depths of despair I had a "visitation" by something or someone. When it entered the room there was this glow or brightness. I felt a full body hug and a feeling I had never felt before that I can only describe as true love. I can tell you with the utmost certainty that there was nothing too fear from that. I can't say this is true for everyone because some experience that with other people. But I have not felt anything like it since.

I fear the powerlessness of overwhelming love.

It exists, and there's nothing I can do about it.

I don't mean love directed at me, because that would be nice, but love projecting out of me.

It's wonderful and painful at the same time.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by daynight42

Another one I have is that there is no justice in the world, that people can get away with whatever they can get away with, that people can suffer just to suffer, die, and that's it. That people can commit crimes and live a great life, and get rewarded for that. Having to live a long life in a world like that is awful. It seems that is what we have...unless you believe in fairy tales, aka Sky Men and Sky Women who protect us all. (They're doing a terrible job of it.)

Not everything is as it seems, daynight42. Maybe some people DO appear to be rewarded in materialistic ways for their despicable behavior. But, what do we know about what happens behind closed doors?

Yeah, that billionaire who owns 100 sweat shops and drives a Ferrari and has had 7 trophy wives looks "successful" to people who go in for that sort of thing... But to me, he just looks like an empty shell of a person - no substance, no imagination, no goodness. I do not think he knows what happiness is. And that, to me, is not success.

All we can do is understand that we cannot control other people's actions, and use this knowledge as a positive tool.

We are powerless in other people's lives.

But, we can control our own lives - and we can use our influence and talents to help those who have been trod on by the unscrupulous.

Every little bit helps.
edit on 7/28/12 by ottobot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
The thought of running out of chocolate milk is horrifying beyond belief. I break out in a cold sweat upon lifting that carton out of the fridge if it is less than 1/4 full.

On a more serious note...

The OP doesn't want to hear about phobias like insects and such, so I'll share two general fears that I've had all my life.

One is the thought of being lost in the middle of the ocean on a small raft or canoe, especially at night. The idea of being lost doesn't terrify me, but rather the idea of not knowing where I am. Being surrounded by nothing. And the idea that it's so damn deep. Just knowing that I'm on top of something that goes on and on and on and on. Have a look at this photo. Keep scrolling down and you'll know exactly what I mean. Look at the black dot at the top. That represents a six foot tall human being

The other fear is being in a very large building with the lights out and having a psychopath 'hunting' me. Like a large office complex. Having nothing but a flashlight and no weapons to defend yourself with. The doors and windows are welded shut from the outside and you know that it's just you and him/her in the building, and he/she is determined to get you and has certain advantages like night vision goggles and a moderate arsenal of various weapons. The larger the building, the more terrifying the thought. Imagine being trapped indefinitely in a 50-story office complex. No power, no way out. At any given time the person could be on the same floor as you, just moments away from lunging out at you. Not knowing where or when. Not being able to sleep or make too much noise. You need the flashlight to see, but you're scared that the light will be spotted. Every time you light a cigarette you fear that the smoke will be smelled. You have to breathe ever so quietly and make sure not to sneeze or cough under any circumstances. You don't want to stay on the same floor for too long because you know he/she will get around to searching it eventually, but on the other hand you're reluctant to go to another floor because this will increase the odds of an encounter.

If that isn't horrifying, I don't know what is. I've had so many dreams about this

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by daynight42

Originally posted by ninjas4321
Its time to get deep people explain what your most mortal fear is not like a phobia were you are scared of clowns but something else something that only you fear like losing a child or falling to live up to someones explanations let it all out and explain why it terrifies you

I have a fear of run on sentences that are paragraphs long that are difficult to understand. It hurts my brain to the point I think it may overheat or possibly explode.

Interestingly enough, my fear is that, when delivering an argument in written form, my sentence structure - while demonstrably correct, grammatically - often presents as so cognitively laborious for the average reader, that he/she will choose to resign to defeat long before my central point has had a chance to be properly set up and initially clarified, let alone fully and accurately presented in the manner that I feel is required for a true and definitive examination of any discrete topic, regardless of the breadth and/or specificity of that examination.

(90 words - not bad, but my record is 193 words...not that I have a problem, though)

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Well I'm afraid of a few things but especially from:

Spiders (I hate them so bad)
Aliens
Demons
Entities

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
My biggest fear? Simple . I'm afraid that I'm going to wake up from this dream I am having and all this BS is going to be really happening. You know Aliens, A President that's a Criminal against The American People. That I am going to wake up and find out Nobody really cares about anything except Homosexuals, and Aliens. That I will wake up and realize that people have a serious "Wake Up Call Coming" Soon..

p.s. your sweat in peace, you live in war.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

reply to post by Shark_Feeder

I got this feeling when I read your post about epilepsy. The terms have changed today? I used to have girlfriend that had grand mal seizures and I would sit with her until they passed. It was very scary for her too. She told me once she was so glad that I sat by her to keep her from banging around too much or swallowing her tongue.

She didn't know that, somebody had to tell her. I was tripped out by it too. Since then, I have seen someone else flop down twitching in the road and right away I knew what it was and ran to their side and supported their head with my palm and talked to him. I wasn't scared anymore, and he was grateful too.

I hope and pray that you have or find someone who understands and does that for you too. I know what a difference that can make.

I hope I can find someone that will stay with me too...unfortunately this crap tends to make me kind of antisocial.

If you ever speak with someone dealing with seizures again, you can tell them that swallowing your tongue is actually a myth. At least that is what my doctors have told me.

Even though you won't swallow your tongue, it sucks when your jaw clenches up and you bite the s*** out of the d**** thing though.

Siezures are embarassing, so it's nice to have someone with you who understands. Bless people who understand.

I think what's worse than the actual siezures is the memory loss...and the uncertainty of it all. Will I remember things in a weeks time? Who knows? I still am missing around 6 months to a year of a my memories. Which may never return. Started out missing 2 years...I have got at least some of them back.

It's like traveling to the future, only my body got there before my brain. Which is as not nearly as much fun as movies make it seem.
edit on 28-7-2012 by Shark_Feeder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ninjas4321

Well if I get on an airplane and I'm sitting beside some big ginormous fat guy and then just as we're taking off he lets off a massive shart. And there's no other seats to switch to. So you're sitting beside this big sharting piece of lard who's smelly sweaty stinky and has your cornered with no place to run. That's my biggest fear! Mommy, that big fat guy sharted on me!!!!

edit on 28-7-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster
(90 words - not bad, but my record is 193 words...not that I have a problem, though)

That was strange. I would have sworn you would have had to have been the person I replied to. OK!

It's not that I mind long sentences so much as ones that have no punctuation and lots of misspelled words that just makes me have to read it multiple times.

It doesn't matter anyway, though.

I guess I would also be terrified of becoming paralyzed and hardly able to do anything on my own, and have to be humiliated having someone change my freakin' diaper every day. Truly scary thought.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I fear reincarnation haha
I don't want to come back to this place in another piece of meat, I'm hoping we all go somewhere as ourselves.
Souls shouldn't be recycled

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join