It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opinions on my next handgun purchase?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by scorpiosin
reply to post by Domo1

That's a good point about not having to fumble for a safety in a stressful situation. Yeah I think I'll go to the range this weekend. My neighbor has several 1911's and was talking those up to me, I like them, but I like some of the other higher capacity and smaller options too.

As far as handguns go I have a S&W Sigma .40, a Walther P-22 and a CZ-82 9x18.

If you don't have a Glock 19 you need to buy one. Everyone should have one. Conceal well, shoot great, accurate, it's a Glock, 9 mm is cheapish, crazy reliable, easy to work on, it's a Glock. You made this easy. You need to purchase a Glock 19.

Glock 19 was my first handgun, and frankly if I could only have one it would be that one. It's ugly as f--- to the uninitiated, but once you go Glock you never go back. Unless you meet a Sig. Then you have a concubine.

Get some good night sights installed. Buy a nice holster, buy mags, buy ammo and range time. I can't think of a better pistol for you at the moment.

Let me give you a scenario. You have 5 guns to choose from and defend your life with and in the next 5 minutes someone is breaking into your room and going to try to kill you. Do you grab the Glock, the 1911, the Taurus (shudder), the XD or CZ?

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Can any American here tell me why they don't carry:

A sword
A knife
A crossbow
A longbow
A baseball bat
A catapult

Or any other weapon down the street with them, after all, you have the right to bear arms?

Or is it because the gun is easy to conceal, easy to whip out in a surprise, and definitely kills someone should you wish to do it?

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I'd be torn between grabbing the XD and the Glock so I might have some hesitation
Yeah I found the 19 online for around 500, a little over, so that's definitely in the price range. And could allow for the .45 too. My brother keeps telling me Glock. Maybe I just need to spend more time with one.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainBeno
Can any American here tell me why they don't carry:

A sword
A knife
A crossbow
A longbow
A baseball bat
A catapult

Or any other weapon down the street with them, after all, you have the right to bear arms?

Or is it because the gun is easy to conceal, easy to whip out in a surprise, and definitely kills someone should you wish to do it?

Sure - most of your list is just too big too practically carry. It'd be difficult to sit with a sword, difficult to navigate through a revolving door with a longbow strapped to you. I have no need to cause the mass damage a catapult would do. I do carry a knife with me, I think everyone should, they have plenty of uses as a tool.

I get you don't like guns killing people. I don't either. Especially not them killing me. We are not all these trigger happy people that are hoping someone gives us a reason to use our gun. If anyone I knew had to use our weapons, their lives would never be the same having to deal with that.
edit on 26-7-2012 by scorpiosin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

Ok simple simon I will explain this one time very slowly try to keep up.

Back in the bad old days, england loved to conquer other peoples, the first things they did every time was disarm and ban the teaching of anyway of fighting back. Thus allowing them to keep these peoples under their thumb with no recouse at all. My people ( Americans) fought back and through off the cloak of tyrany, swearing that we would not be in that position ever again. Thus the NEED for an armed populous, for the sake of keeping those that would attempt to enslave their fellow man from ever having the ability to resist the will of the people.( you know the guys that are supposed to be in charge)

You see history has taught the human race many things, one is that every single time a country is the most powerful in their sphere of influence those at top always forget how to act right. They subjugate their fellow man, instead of serving them. When one lacks lethal force, they will fall to those who are not lacking it.

So you see we Americans and our guns are stewards, protecting the rest of the world from the tyrany that the most powerful military force on earth would wreak if not checked on the regular by the fact if they get too out of line we will end them. This is the reason that they aren't any worse than they are. This is also the reason they constantly pretend to pander to us, to try to keep us on their good side.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

Harden up? I happen to be pretty tough but I am also a 100lbs female. So I could be as tough as I wanted to be but that's not going to save me from the 250lbs hog that lives in the woods behind my house. Not all guns are used just for killing people, ya know?
So next time someone tries to kill me I should just punch them? Have you ever been shot? No? Well I have and I will never be unarmed when I can defend myself.
Besides this is not what this thread is about...this guy asked what type of gun he should buy not if people thought he should buy a gun.
So if you don't have anything to offer as an opinion on if he shoudl buy a .45 or a 9mm then you need to find a new thread where your opinion would be more appreciated.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Alena Michelle

My neighbor keeps telling me about the ones that go up to his parents back porch and harass their dogs and stuff. He's had to put a few down. I guess they are bad this year?

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I think it would be prudent for us pro gun folks to just ignore the whiny gentleman in the thread. He's had his fun, we've responded. Lets just ignore the posts now. There is no point arguing with someone that won't come around. It's not his fault after all, he's been smothered by the bosom of his nanny state.

Don't reply and it will go away. Has to earn money to pay the queen after all.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by scorpiosin

My god, the thought of messing with a wild bore with anything short of a rifle uugghh. It just sends chills up my spine. I have seen some wounds on dogs and a couple of people from wild hogs, I think I might rather take my chances against a bear. At least the bear will leave me alone if I seem to be more trouble than I am worth.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Remember guys, don't acknowledge and it will go away. It is also not a person as it's clearly given up it's inalienable rights and what sort of person would do such a thing? Don't respond to it. Let it suffer and drown in fog and limes.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   

The hogs are always bad here. For the most part they stay pretty far in the woods but when it gets dry they come up to the pond in the back for water and that puts them just a little too close. I have not had to actually shoot them...if I just shoot in the air it usually will scare them away. I've known people who have been chased up trees and gored so I try not to take chances with them.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   

How big do they actually get? None here in WA. I've heard a few stories but I thought they were more fisherman's tales. I was under the impression that they can be dangerous, but I'm seeing more and more that they could actually kill someone.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   

That's crazy you're always on the outlook for these killer beasts. My neighbor has a tendency to exaggerate things so I didn't know if they were really as vicious as he says they are. Guess they are.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   

I haven't had any personal experience thankfully, the stories I have heard sounds about like the same one you refrenced. Up trees, than stalking around waiting for him to come down.... that's some scary stuff thinking about becoming the sausage.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by inverslyproportional

I prefer a shotgun to deal with the hogs...no need to aim and it makes enough noise to scare them away. I have family that have hunted wild hogs and they are really scary! They will tear you up if given the chance. Before I take the dogs out at night I check the area to make sure they aren't around...I'm not going to lose one of my dogs in a fight with a hog. I have pitbulls but I don't even think they stand a chance with the boar that lives in my woods.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll be researching a lot of them tomorrow

And thanks for the anti-gun shenanigans

Will check back tomorrow!
edit on 26-7-2012 by scorpiosin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Well the average wild hog is mean but usually less that 200lbs. However we have a new problem here...some Russian hogs have gotten lose and breed with the local wild hogs so if you run into one of those they can get really big and they aren't scared of people like the wild hogs. You can't bay up a Russian hog. So they just tear the dogs up. Its not pretty. My dogs are not hunting dogs, they are my babies so I take no chances. But ya know, we Americans only want to use guns on people

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join