It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opinions on my next handgun purchase?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
"Why own / carry a gun?"

Well personally speaking, I enjoy gagets of every kind. I used to play golf a lot with my friends but these days its much easier to go to the range and squeeze off a few rounds.

Personally, I find it helps me relax, not just the shooting part, the discipline that is involved in owning and taking care of a firearm apeals to me. I've never had the need to draw and brandish a firearm with another person, and it wouldnt be my default setting if I felt the situation was getting out of hand. I'f I'm attacked in some manner and manage to overcome my attacker without having to draw, I'd feel much happier about it. The second you make the decision to draw, you are accepting the risk that you might come to harm, or that someone else might. I travel alot in the Middle East, and I am always unfortable around what I percieve to be heavily armed environments. Having my own firearm with me, would not make me any less uncomfortable.

Why have more thant one?
Truth be told, if your'e lucky you wont ever need more than one. But I have different firarms which I use appropriately for different reasons. Knowing that I have the skill and ability to manage to operate a variety of different types and models, makes me feel like I know what I'm doing. The majority of firearms on the planet are in the ownership of people who would not be considered experts or marksmen. I wouldnt want to be another idiot with a gun, so I go out of my way to make sure, as best I can that I'm not an idiot.

Take from that what you will...

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by scorpiosin

If your going to get a 45 single action gun such as a springfield xd I would recommend getting a glock 19. Historically a pretty reliable gun, I have heard both sides of the fence with this firearm. Whether you like it or not I think its more a matter of personal opinion.

My favorite, tried and true .45 caliber pistol would be a 1911. The only big drawback I have is the single stack magazine, unlike the side by side's for the glock and springfield. There's a wide range of pistols you can choose from, but be sure to feel them out and pick the one best suited for your needs. If you're looking to spend a little more money and want a very reliable pistol I'd try and find an Ed Brown or Dan Wesson 1911.

For all purposes concealed, I wouldn't worry too much about the caliber. People always argue that 9mm don't have enough stopping power and you should always conceal a .45. But thats nonsense. One well placed 9mm will have the same affect as any .45. I personally like the KelTec PF9. Yes, its a very cost effective pistol, I think you can get one for about $300. But I have heard great things about them, and they are perfectly small for concealed purposes. If your looking to spend a little more money I'd recommend looking at some of Kahr's compact pistols. Very reliable and small.

Nonetheless, if I were to get a 9mm... Think I would choose some type of Sig Sauer. Big fan of these and their track record. Although I did have a used 9mm Sig that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn 5 ft away. Regardless if you are going to buy a hand gun, take the time to feel it out and do your research. Sometimes you can go to a range and use their rental guns. This will give you a good impression of specific firearms.

I'd recommend looking at some guns from Sig Sauer, Heckler and Koch, or Glock,

edit on 26-7-2012 by xX aFTeRm4Th Xx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Guys...thank you for the input, it is much appreciated!

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I keep a .40 glock 23 gen 4 on my nightstand. I put a tlr-3 tac light on it for badguys at night. I take the light off when carrying.

I wish...really wish i hadn't sold my Hk usp .40 ...I miss her very very much. If I had an extra 800 laying around I'd buy another.

I was uncomfortable with buying a firearm without an external safety at first as well, but aftera little use I quickly got over that fear. The Hk does have external safety though.

Have fun with your next purchase!

...And to the anti-gun people here....just shut up already.

SM2

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by xX aFTeRm4Th Xx

Para makes a double stack 1911 in .45 acp. 14 rounds . I would also argue that the Glock is not historically reliable, was not that long ago they had to recall alot of them due to the barrel exploding. Google Glock boom and you will see.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Re "one well placed 9mm round can have the same effect...." Perhaps not the same but just as "net (ie lethal) effective" as demonstrated in the George Zimmerman/Travon Martin case.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ceranko

I have a HK Custom Combat (USP 40 w/ extended magazine, fiber-optic sights, trigger work, etc).

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

If your going to get a 45 single action gun such as a springfield xd I would recommend getting a glock 19. Historically a pretty reliable gun,

I fired a ton of guns before I got my XD45, my friend the cop took me shooting, I tried the Glock 19, I didn't like it.

For some reason I was not as accurate with it as with the XD45.

The weight didn't feel substantial, good gun, but The XD matches it for reliability, and Ive seen reviews where the XD beat it in some categories.

You know what also works well for defense is loading your "defense" pistol with Glazer Safter Slugs, I have a clip of them next to my gun.

Would make any gun more effective.
edit on 26-7-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kastogere
reply to post by Alena Michelle

I swear...that statement you made is great...im in love.....I bet you can peck a knat off a buffalos hiney from 200 yards....am I right?

The world needs more women like you.....armed that is.....

Goodmorning Kast!
Which statement did I make that made you get all googly eyed?
Oh yes, I am a very good shot. After all you are my biggest fan

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

I just reread your original post...so this was your first thread? I think it went really well for you! Please update us when you decide which way you are going.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

If you are really leaning towards a handgun and not a rifle or other type, from experience the best handguns I have come across that are easy to use from a female to a male in any situation with affordable ammunition are:
1. Springfield Armory Handguns - 9mm
2. XDM 9mm
3. Ruger LCP - fits perfectly in your hand
Those are just my favorite and best working, reliable from experience of handguns I have gone through! For a female all of these can be shot without a hard kick, can be shot through a purse, concealed very easily, and if you are a man, you can shoot it if I can!

(Oh and Springfield Armory has the prettiest guns in my opinion, not like that will sway your opinion in any way, but if you like to shoot in style!)

edit on 26-7-2012 by Katharos62191 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I don't carry as often as I would like to now, but when I do it's usually the S&W .40 Sigma. I don't love carrying it because of the 500lb trigger pull and the lack of any safety features other than the crazy trigger pull. I really don't mind the size of it though.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Drake0493

Those Ziganas are nice looking weapons. I hadn't seen those before. They have a bit of a Desert Eagle look to them. The Zigana T is quite an intimidating looking piece!

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Glassbender777

I actually tried out the M&Ps back when I got my first gun but due to budget constraints at that time I had to get the Sigma instead. It did have a good feel to it. I was looking hard at some of the compact Desert Eagle pistols in .45 but yeah the all steel version weighs like 5 pounds

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

If safteys are a concern for you consider that the XD's have grip and trigger mechanical safetys but you carry the gun fully cocked like you would a 1911. This is uncomfortable for some who are not used to carrying in condition 1. You will learn to trust it though.

Glocks, though without a traditional mechanical safety save the trigger lever, are not fully cocked during carry. Pulling the trigger cocks the pin back that last little bit before dropping it on the round.

Both have very short trigger pulls compared to your Sigma. The XD will seem a hair shorter and lighter than the Glock.

Anything that's DA/SA like SIG's, Beretta's and CZ's will have a long first DA pull to get off that first round.

After shooting a match with an SA pistol switching over to a DA/SA pistol is hard. That first shot takes forever to get off.

edit on 26-7-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

I just checked out your review, thanks, yeah I've been looking at Sig stuff all morning online due to all the Sig suggestions. Good video on your review thread. I watched a lot of Nutnfancy's reviews when I was shopping for a .22 rifle.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by MojaveBurning

I love the Beretta's too. It's one of the ones I keep coming back to. They are sexy guns. I keep looking at the stainless 92FS longingly
It is big and heavy though..

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
SIG SAUER P220!!! Is only a single stack mag with 7 or 8 round capacity. I shoot mine almost as good a my P226 9mm. If you can find one with a short reset trigger and E-2 grips. jump in it if you have $1,000 laying around. You may also be able to find a P220 law enforcement trade in for under $500, usually close to 4. They do have a high round count but a Sig will outlast a Glock imo. I owned 2 and sold them to get Sigs.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

More Sig and Glock votes! Thanks, I've been reading up on the 19 and the Sig 200 series and 2022 and 226 all morning. You guys weren't playing about the mag costs on these Sigs

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by scorpiosin

More Sig and Glock votes! Thanks, I've been reading up on the 19 and the Sig 200 series and 2022 and 226 all morning. You guys weren't playing about the mag costs on these Sigs

I would shoot the 2022's first to try them out. I almost bought one because of the price tag, then rented one from the range first. Neither my brother or me shot it very well.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join