It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians... riddle me this!

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Then explain why we use Lexicons and Concordances please. So when I read an old sermon by Johnathan Edwards from the 1800's and he uses the term "faggot" am I to not think he means a "pile of sticks" and assume he's using a derogatory term for homosexuals? When I see "conversation" in the KJV am I to assume it means speech and not "behavior"?

Words change their definition over time, the intent of the authors however never changes.
The original question was if you had evidence that you were capable of understanding anything in a metaphorical way.
What you did was take a word that was understood one way in some hypothetical past, and is understood in another way now, so both times you are taking a literal understanding of the word but separated in time, and pretending this makes you capable of comprehending things metaphorically when it really just means that you can appreciate how words change meanings over time.
edit on 28-7-2012 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

Weeeeeell,.. since I'm incapable of understanding metaphors, as you claim, then I suppose Jesus is sitting on the throne in Heaven with a shepherd's staff in hand and I'm covered in wool. Learn something new everyday they say.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Why does the bible state that the path to life is narrow and few will find it?

Is ignoring me your way of blocking out the truth? You know you're ignoring me for a reason, why not fess up to it already?

Is it because what I say makes sense and you can't refute anything I say? Please let me know what your feelings are, I didn't reply to you for you to just ignore me, I put a lot of thought and effort into my posts and you ignoring me is kind of disrespectful.
edit on 28-7-2012 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

You may not fear hell now, but you did when you were a child. They scared you into believing what they taught you. Now that fear they instilled into you at a very early age pushes you to reject anything to the contrary of what you have been taught.

You still refuse to address my point about the gate to life being the narrow one. Why are you avoiding it?

Wrong, I became a believer about a decade ago. Prior to that I mocked the idea. Never been scared of Hell. And what am I avoiding? The narrow gate is Jesus, He alone is the redeemer of man. The "broad way" is anything and everything other than.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Why does the bible state that the path to life is narrow and few will find it?

Is ignoring me your way of blocking out the truth? You know you're ignoring me for a reason, why not fess up to it already?

Because it is very narrow, there is only one way, Christ Jesus.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

So few people find Jesus? Christianity is the biggest belief system in the world, how is that a few? Matthew 7:14 clearly states that few people will choose the narrow path. If Jesus is the narrow path then why do the most people take his path?

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

So few people find Jesus? Christianity is the biggest belief system in the world, how is that a few? Matthew 7:14 clearly states that few people will choose the narrow path. If Jesus is the narrow path then why do the most people take his path?

The majority do not trust and follow Him. You either are in the few camp or the majority camp.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Yet out of all the paths there are to choose from including Hinduism, islam, Buddhism, etc. The path you choose is the most densley populated. That does not imply 'few' people, that implies 'most' people.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

I was christian up until about a year ago, give or take. Once I broke free from the dogma that christianity held over me, I realized that I was afraid of hell.

You may say that you are saved, but that doesn't take away the fact that you would be scared silly if god came down and said you were going to hell.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Yet out of all the paths there are to choose from including Hinduism, islam, Buddhism, etc. The path you choose is the most densley populated. That does not imply 'few' people, that implies 'most' people.

No, you need to look at the world as a whole. Roughly 1 out of 7.4 people on the planet claim Christianity. That's not the majority at all.

edit on 28-7-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

I was christian up until about a year ago, give or take. Once I broke free from the dogma that christianity held over me, I realized that I was afraid of hell.

You may say that you are saved, but that doesn't take away the fact that you would be scared silly if god came down and said you were going to hell.

He's already said that all who come to Him will never be cast out, and believers already have eternal life and unbelievers already stand condemned. This isn't Islam, the God if the Bible isn't capricious.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Weeeeeell,.. since I'm incapable of understanding metaphors, as you claim, then I suppose Jesus is sitting on the throne in Heaven with a shepherd's staff in hand and I'm covered in wool. Learn something new everyday they say.
Considering the current possible definition

shep·herd n.
2. One who cares for and guides a group of people, as a minister or teacher.
it is simple enough to think of a guide in heaven when reading

The Lord is my shepherd
Psalms 23:1
though it may have taken a possession of a metaphor comprehension ability when that psalm was first publicly performed back in 1000 BC or whatever.
Seeing how we are actually in 2012, your quoting that verse does not serve as proof that you have that ability.
edit on 28-7-2012 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Ok, in that case Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, etc. are all even smaller than that, so your path is the widest out of all of them, and as far as I know my belief system has even less people than that, so my path os narrower than all others.

You obviously lack the ability to use reason and willfully choose to miss the point I am making.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Ok, in that case Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, etc. are all even smaller than that, so your path is the widest out of all of them, and as far as I know my belief system has even less people than that, so my path os narrower than all others.

You obviously lack the ability to use reason and willfully choose to miss the point I am making.

Do you argue just for the sake of arguing? Christ's context was people who would trust in Him as Lord and Savior and people who would not believe that to be true. Christianity is not the majority, roughly 1 in 7.4 people on the face of the Earth classify themselves as Christian, that's the minority.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

You missed my point once again, are you really this thick-headed? I said IF he did, IF being the key word. Do you still not understand?

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

Okay... Like I said, I'm covered with wool. I'm literally a sheep.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

You missed my point once again, are you really this thick-headed? I said IF he did, IF being the key word. Do you still not understand?

I'm not attempting to "understand" your point. What Christ said is fact, He is the narrow way. Most people reject Him as Lord and Savior and His exclusive claims as being the only way to the Father. Most are on the other way, which is an all-inclusive way. People either place their trust in Him or reject Him.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Where in the world did you get your figures from? Could you provide a link?
This website says otherwise. By these numbers 1 in 3 people are christian not 1 in 7.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

I'm not attempting to "understand" your point. What Christ said is fact, He is the narrow way. Most people reject Him as Lord and Savior and His exclusive claims as being the only way to the Father. Most are on the other way, which is an all-inclusive way. People either place their trust in Him or reject Him.

Thank you for proving my point that you just block everything out. That right there is the definition of ignorance.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Thank you for proving my point that you just block everything out. That right there is the definition of ignorance.

No, you refuse to apply the context of what Christ said. Believers VS unbelievers. When you take something out of it's context that's a pretext. It's an enormous fail of hermeneutics.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join