It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

97% of Greenland's ice sheet surface melted in mid-July

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Before anyone freaks out, realize this ice sheet is km's thick in some places. However the rate of melting is unprecedented.

I do not believe in global warming, at least not in a man-made global warming. The Sun however does seem to be more active, combined with the weakening of our magnetosphere would explain much - about this and other weather phenomenon. Obviously more radiation is leaking into our atmosphere.

Greenland’s surface ice cover melted over a larger area than at any time in more than 30 years of satellite observations in period of merely few days this month. Nearly the entire ice cover of Greenland, from its thin, low-lying coastal edges to its two-mile-thick center, experienced some degree of melting at its surface, according to measurements from three independent satellites analyzed by NASA and university scientists. Satellite data reveals an estimated 97% of the ice sheet surface thawed at some point in mid-July. Researchers have not yet determined whether this extensive melt event will affect the overall volume of ice loss this summer and contribute to sea level rise.

Here is the article:

thewatchers.adorraeli.com...

Does anyone else find it strange with all this heat there have been few tropical storms? Are these two events related?

edit on 24-7-2012 by PlanetXisHERE because: correction

edit on 24-7-2012 by PlanetXisHERE because: addition

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Question: Is there volcanic activity underneath Greenland? I ask this because perhaps the melting is a lot simpler to explain than global warming. Obviously this is a long shot but you never know

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Newsflash:

It's summertime. (Even in Greenland)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Dont worry, it'll freeze again in the winter.

2nd

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Em2013
Question: Is there volcanic activity underneath Greenland? I ask this because perhaps the melting is a lot simpler to explain than global warming. Obviously this is a long shot but you never know

Good question. After a quick scan it seems mostly to be solid bedrock (igneous) with some sedimentary - about as solid as you can get.

As you can see in the RSOE alert map that it isn't near any major plate boundaries, and the plate boundaries is where the majority of volcanic activity takes place.

hisz.rsoe.hu...

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
Newsflash:

Newsflash

It's the height of the solar cycle. It didn't melt like this last summer did it?

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Newsflash:

Would you like me to break this sentence down for you so you can understand it's implications better?

Greenland’s surface ice cover melted over a larger area than at any time in more than 30 years of satellite observations in period of merely few days this month.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by PlanetXisHERE

Newsflash:

Would you like me to break this sentence down for you so you can understand it's implications better?

Greenland’s surface ice cover melted over a larger area than at any time in more than 30 years of satellite observations in period of merely few days this month.

Let me explain something to you.

Summer: Hot
Winter: Cold

It all evens out.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by PlanetXisHERE

Theres not even a debate anymore... Exactly what you said coupled with an increase in carbon and methane.... Yeah, climate change is here. Question is, what does that mean?

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Hey Planet !!

Not sure if this was posted but here's a white-knuckle boater trying to out-run a fallen iceberg in Greenland last week.

Published on Jul 19, 2012 by Barbecueengineer

A tourist from Australia came to my uncle and asked if she could get a ride to the glacier just north of Ilulissat, Greenland, so he asked me if I wanted to be his translator. I am from another town where glaciers are fairytales, I was as much of a tourist as the Australian tourist, so I decided to join the crew.

The beautiful scenery was amazing, but the nature doesn't care about anyone. That day almost became our last day.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Let me explain something to you.

Summer: Hot
Winter: Cold

It all evens out.

It has melted more this summer than any other of the past 30 summers recorded by satellites, and possibly more than satellite recording of it's melting began 30 years ago.

This news is not being relayed by Sven from his fishing shack, these are scientists, and they are throwing around words like "extreme melt event", "extensive melt event", and "uncommon phenomena". Scientists are generally conservative in nature.

I don't always believe scientists over the common man, but in this case I think science trumps ignorance.

edit on 24-7-2012 by PlanetXisHERE because: spelling

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

Hey HA - ya, that was a good one, they were lucky, that must have been a real white-knuckle ride for a few moments!

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Hey MamaJ - good question! I hate to say it, but I don't think it's good. What do you think?

Just listened to another excellent audio book on the weekend - The Master of the Key by Whitley Striber - kind of mind blowing! You should check it out.

The book touched quite a bit on meditation - as many do - I'm going to make an effort to do it every day. Do you meditate?

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
This is a normal event. It happens about once every 150 years.

Ice core records show that last happened in 1889 and occurs about once every 150 years.

Source

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien
Hey Planet !!

Not sure if this was posted but here's a white-knuckle boater trying to out-run a fallen iceberg in Greenland last week.

Yes it was posted already. "Iceberg Tsunami Gone Wild."

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

I don't always believe scientists over the common man, but in this case I think science trumps ignorance.
That depends who's science your using.

Are you aware of the THIRTY THOUSAND scientists who all said global warming is a deception?

Are you aware that the the atmosphere used to have MANY times more co2 than it does now?

Are you aware of how the planet WILL respond if it warms too much?

Google the above and do some research rather than believe what they feed you.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk

Are you aware of the THIRTY THOUSAND scientists who all said global warming is a deception?

Are you aware that the the atmosphere used to have MANY times more co2 than it does now?

Hello, did you read what I posted above??????

I do not believe in global warming, at least not in a man-made global warming. The Sun however does seem to be more active, combined with the weakening of our magnetosphere would explain much - about this and other weather phenomenon. Obviously more radiation is leaking into our atmosphere.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Astonishing, NASA, backs up the information by saying. "Image on the left taken July 8th, Image on the right 97% melted in four days, July 12th.
Four days holly s*%@.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I await the new iceage with open arms..
right after the solarmax vaporizes everything

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk

I really wish I had my computer as I think I have plenty of evidence to back the op... Ugh!

Sadly all I can say is research more and be open minded enough to excepr what you read.

There is what seems to be a guess as to what may unfold .... Of course, unless the govnt is making it ALL up and controlling the weather too.

I say, lets wait until we see what the Sun is going to do... In my opinion, that may tell a lot.

Waiting game..... Hope its not too late if in fact its a real threat!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join