It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Op/Ed: Real-Time Presidential Debate Analysis

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Tonight may go down as the key debate of the series whatever happens. We have a scenario unfavourable to Bush/Cheney as Kerry is winning in popularity polls right now and Edwards did a good job going against Cheney on Tuesday night. Polls are against Bush right now and It's his race in hand.

Whilst the first debate harvested an audience of 62.5 million across the networks, tonights debate is going to be watched by only half of that. But I believe its still important as the key undecideds will be tuning in anyway. If Kerry wins big tonight then it may serve as a critical blow to the Bush/Cheney campaign. It would be 3-0 to Kerry/Edwards and I see problems for Bush if he's going to try and get back on top of the polls.

The town hall setting should be quite interesting to watch, each person questioning the candidates are going to be able to stand up on national television and quiz them. Sure the questions are orchestrated but you can't really defend against an off-the-cuff remark.

If I were Kerry:
1. Hammer Bush on latest Iraq report. Nail him when he rebutts with non-answer.
2. Tout unemployment figures. First net job loss since depression.
3. Get him on Amendment failure against Gay Marriage. Show even Republicans dont support his radical policies.
4. Question his leadership, past faults.

If I were Bush:
1. Go for the flip-flops when Kerry attacks. Tout voting record but don't quote facts.
2. Talk about latest job increase figures.
3. Talk about possible terrorism threats.
4. Medicare, Social Security and Tax cuts, explain why they're good.

After strong participation in the previous Presidential debate Valhall & Loki have volunteered to analyse their side.
Republican Analyst Valhall
Democratic Analyst Loki

I will be serving as the moderator. I will post the question asked and critique the question. The answers will not affect my critique.

The Analysts will post a clipped version of their candidates answers and will then critique them quickly.

A full transcript will be available afterwardas

Disclaimer: I make this post as a member, only a member and not as an ATSNN staff member. I will not let possible biases in this thread affect future decisions. I will not use my authority to influence this thread in any way and i'll be completely impartial. I will not post my own feelings about answers.

[edit on 8-10-2004 by Nerdling]

[edit on 8-10-2004 by Nerdling]

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Thank you, nerdling, for giving me this opportunity. I'm going to enjoy sharing the debate with others.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Thank you, Nerdling, and ATSNN.

I'm honored to have this opportunity, and I hope I'll do justice to the fight that my candidate puts up tonight.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:01 PM
link   
QUESTION 1: To Kerry, Friends believe you are too wishy-washy, how do you respond to this?

Critique:good starter, easy one to ease the viewers in. 4/5

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I saw Bush's jaw do the dance!

EDIT: Typo

Can Bush breath any more desperately?

[edit on 8-10-2004 by curme]

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Kerry is bringing it on, job truth, money lost, good, good

bush, nervious, excuses, he is talking about the same thing is old stuff, bashing kerry same off same off.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:05 PM
link   
He states no.

He said over and over again how his words and deeds have been misinterpreted by the Bush administration, and was very on-point with facts, stating how many jobs were lost in Missouri alone.

He finished the response strong by saying that he was fighting for the middle class.

I'd give him a 5/5 on this first, most solid answer.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Bush is pissed! I've got goosebumps!

EDIT: AL QUEDA? AIRPLANES?

Oh, food for oil.

[edit on 8-10-2004 by curme]

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:08 PM
link   
hmm not the same bush that we had in the first debate

uh oh kerry is digging himself a hole

[edit on 10^8^04 by Quicksilver]

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:08 PM
link   
BUSH RESPONSE to #1: He does change positions a lot. He voted for $87B he voted against. He said Saddam was a grave threat and needed to be removed until the democratic primary and Dean was taking him.

I've pushed forward domestic issues, child credit, etc., he voted against them.

Good response - Win.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   
QUESTION 2

QUESTION: Mr President, You admitted in a statement iraq didnt have weapons of mass destruction. You said "He Retained knowledge and the means and could've passed to the terrorists". Do you believe that this is a reasonable statement to support a war when so many other countries fall into this category?

critique: I think this is quite a strong blow to start with, it might be overly harsh If the news weren't so recent.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Weapon of and NK,

9/11 and Sadam, still defending the war, bringing the oil for food program,

kerry, president may the wrong desicion, targeting the domestic problems.

good choice.

What happend with bush

Again the what if or what may happend.

Kerry nail bush on this one

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Kerry- Let me tell you straight up

Possible sound byte for the news tomorrow

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme
Bush is pissed! I've got goosebumps!

EDIT: AL QUEDA? AIRPLANES?

Oh, food for oil.

Oil for food... Errr... Oil for bribing the leaders of France, Germany, and Russia.

Sounds like a typical UN Program to me.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Why does it seem that Bush never completes his sentences? After he speaks, there is an awkward silence, ... is he done? Oh, ok.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:12 PM
link   
BUSH RESPONSE #2: Ech situation is different. After 9/11 we learned we have to take threats seriously. Harboring is as bad as terrorism.

Saddam was a serious a threat, and harboring is as bad as WMBDs. He was defying sanctions to fund WMDs. We thought he had them.

Weak - LOSE.

Rebuttal: Kerry stated we must have a global test before we take action. We did that through resolutions and UN was ineffective.

Stronger - WIN on rebuttal.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Has Kerry not got the memo - Last time I heard France and Germany are not interested.

Bush is looking good - but I agree with curme - those pauses are distracting.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Kerry came back strong to Bush's reply, and fought back against his direct lies.

He accused Bush of taking his eye off the ball, (Osama bin Laden)

He used the same tactic that he always has, claiming that he could do better with the authority given to him.

4/5 on this response.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:14 PM
link   
QUESTION 3

QUESTION 3:
Sen Kerry, In regards to iraq and withdrawing our troops, Will you proceed with the same plans as President Bush.

Critique: Lets not get too bogged down in Iraq. This should really be the last as theres alot to cover. 2/5

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Pm of Iraqi, iraqis love to be free,

Bush is mad, very mad,

Kerry made a bo-boo,

Bush is shouting now, this is good. looking for bin ladden

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join