It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top ten myths about ATS members! (Introverts)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

OMG! I never knew that, lol... that has me pegged for an introvert, to a T, every single definition you posted is me....

lol... I never knew I was an introvert!

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechUnique
I'm not saying that every member on ATS is an introvert, that much is obvious.. that being said I bet this list speaks out to a lot of you guys, it certainly did to me!

I found the list interesting. but I have a problem with it. Everyone is different and can probably resonate with some things on the list even if they don't consider themselves to be introverts.

To each, his own, and things the make people different is what also makes them unique.

For the life of me I can't figure out why somebody would want to box themselves in with a label like this.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Wow, you're right. Every point you listed really is a MYTH about ATS members. Cause none of it is true. About any ATS member. We're all as individual as there are grains of sand.

Who are the numbskulls that keep slapping convenient labels on people? Introvert? Total BS.

:shk:

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Guilty....

You hit it one the head.
Im curious to see if this is the consensous.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Introverts get laid more I can vouch for that. My friends hate me because I can go someplace and leave with a woman before they can decide who to hit on. I go in scope the situation out and find someone to hit the door with before they decide to go somewhere else.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
This list and its explanations are very good. A lot of the people I have made friends with later told me at first they thought I was a snob, stuck up, or maybe even a bit odd. In larger groups of people I often look for a place to duck out. It is extremely draining to make meaningless conversation with people I don't know. Very hard to fake giving a crap.
With new people I have to be around them several times and really get a feel for them before I am comfortable. My view is it takes time to know someone. Seems that so many people are in a big rush to tell everything about themselves. If your going to become friends all this will come up anyway. Its almost kinda whimsical the way situations will happen so you and your friend will learn something about each other.
One of the most important things I've learned is not judge others. Even though sometimes I'd like to be a little different then I am it is my nature. I've come to accept myself and see the good in my qualities.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I am most definitely an innie. Just the thought of being in a room full of people and having to make small talk is enough to make me go running. Now if we could all just gather and not talk well...
I prefer reading to talking, I prefer observing to participating. I'm a loner who never feels lonely because I enjoy my own company. I once spent 5 wks in the mountains in a cabin with no one but the dogs with me and never wanted to come back to civilization again. I don't consider myself to be better than others, I just don't care for all things superficial, and I guess that is why I love ATS, we go beyond the superficial to find the substance of things.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Oh I am a major innie, but I feel I don't daydream as much anymore, I will have to get a crew down to that section of my brain to up the output of my daydreams, I miss them too much.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I am introverted. Very introverted. But I don't just like it interacting with one person; I need to be close or feel like I can get close to the other person. But I have no problems in groups of people as long as they're people I trust. If I'm at a party with nobody who is a strong individual, I will shy away into another room. I may even hiss as I close the door.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I didn't start out as an introvert. I got there after being slapped down too many times. My introversion has been based on trust, and unfortunately trust has been on the losing end.

I'm older now, and the internet is an exercise in assertion and a challenge to the fear of rejection.

As long as I'm honest with myself, I can speak my mind without fear of reproach these days. And the reproach is merely a challenge to my honesty, and can be looked at as nothing else.

Good topic OP!

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Avalessa
I may even hiss as I close the door.

Lol'd hard.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Depends on what mood I'm in. Mostly an extrovert but can be introverted at times.

Anybody else been getting storms all day?

Don't I have a cool avatar?

....oh wait, that's "small talk"

edit on 19-7-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Strong INFP here, according to Myers Briggs (even though those who know me swear i'm an extrovert--shyness is unrelated to introversion)

Pertinent video: A TED talk by Susan Cain titled the Power of Introverts

She also has a book titled Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking that I thoroughly enjoyed.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
This is a perfect description of who I am.

Give me one person at a time, someone to make a connection with and share and discuss ideas
and I can go for hours....but put me in a party room full of people making pleasant small talk and all
I can think about is how to get away from all these shallow egocentric BS'ers....

But I'm no introvert....I've got no problem with public speaking or entertaining....I've just got a problem
with insincere politesse....don't tell me to have a nice day, or thank you, or even you're welcome
unless you really mean it...I'd rather you tell me to go take a flying leap (as long as you're being sincere).

edit on 19-7-2012 by rival because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I probably used to be shy or introverted, lengthy uncomfortable silences when in the company of others. But that was up to about 30 years old. Now I can walk into a room of intro's and just pick a place to set and get a conversation going out of the crowd with little difficulty.
It's easy, pick a topic of interest to deep thinkers and run with it.
Hay, how ya doin.......

You see that thing on TV about those crop circles a couple days ago....?

You live around here?.... when you were going to school do you remember ever hearing about some mysterious caves or caverns over in the foothills?

I was talking to a guy over at the library who knows this place well, he was telling me something about how they (bla, bla, bla )

Isn't there a hobby shop here in town where you can get radio control planes and boats?

I never been to this place before, it's pretty new isn't it....?

Isn't there supposed to be a Rodeo here next week...?

You farm? ...Hows the weather affecting your stuff...?

Etc, etc, You just have to be able to grab some semi-meaningful topic for them to talk or brag about. They quickly join in conversation, then two or three join in when you create a comfort zone...... a lot of people are shy, and strangers might seem scary to them, but if you can get right in to down-home stuff they will usually feel at ease and become friendly. But then again some are agoraphobic and it's very difficult to break through their defenses.
I really have never found it hard to get 'gab' started.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
It's not that introverts don't know how to talk to people they just can't be bothered as they don't usually care if some farmer is affected by the weather.

If you like talking about all that crap then fair enough but that makes you an extrovert not a talkative introvert

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Awesome thread, OP.

I hate it when people think I'm being rude just because I don't say much.

S&F

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

I like to think that I am an introvert.

Thanks for sharing

Peace

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a bit of both, depending on the situation I guess... regarding those myths:

Myth #1 – Introverts don’t like to talk.
Depends, but I'm a talker; both small talk and serious stuff. I prefer having someone around who's able to have a good conversation with, though.

Myth #2 – Introverts are shy.
Used to be, not anymore. Self-awareness overruled my shyness :')... sounds stupid, but it's true.

Myth #3 – Introverts are rude.
Hardly ever...

Myth #4 – Introverts don’t like people.
I have been raised with the following principal: 'everyone is welcome here, whether they're white, black, green or blue, as long as they behave'. It's exactly like that... I like everyone to a certain extend and decide for myself who is important enough to cherish and who's not (= a bit off-topic, sry).

Myth #5 – Introverts don’t like to go out in public.
Not me, I'm close to never alone and I'm a real clubbing-person, although I take my 'silent moments'.

Myth #6 – Introverts always want to be alone.
Well, see #5

Myth #7 – Introverts are weird.
I guess... #sigh... stupid 'myth'... holds no ground whatsoever, since 'weird' is way to global.

Myth #8 – Introverts are aloof nerds.
Nah, although I'm very aware of inside feelings and how to express them well in a matter people won't be able to see through it too easily.

Myth #9 – Introverts don’t know how to relax and have fun.
Not me :')...

Myth #10 – Introverts can fix themselves and become Extroverts.
Beautiful... awesome myth to catogarize someone :')... anyway, I guess that would be true. I think it's a mindset anyway.

so...
would this make me intro-/extravert? I don't know... Most people have some introvert cahracteristics as well as extravert ones. I don't think most people are either one of them, but a mix of both depending on the situation.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   

I didn't really consider myself an introvert...but I guess I am.
Nice.
This is true. Very spot on. We are normal though, just a little different. Like a wrench is a wrench unless you want metric. Then they are different.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join