It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top ten myths about ATS members! (Introverts)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I'm not saying that every member on ATS is an introvert, that much is obvious.. that being said I bet this list speaks out to a lot of you guys, it certainly did to me!

Myth #1 – Introverts don’t like to talk.
This is not true. Introverts just don’t talk unless they have something to say. They hate small talk. Get an introvert talking about something they are interested in, and they won’t shut up for days.

Myth #2 – Introverts are shy.
Shyness has nothing to do with being an Introvert. Introverts are not necessarily afraid of people. What they need is a reason to interact. They don’t interact for the sake of interacting. If you want to talk to an Introvert, just start talking. Don’t worry about being polite.

Myth #3 – Introverts are rude.
Introverts often don’t see a reason for beating around the bush with social pleasantries. They want everyone to just be real and honest. Unfortunately, this is not acceptable in most settings, so Introverts can feel a lot of pressure to fit in, which they find exhausting.

Myth #4 – Introverts don’t like people.
On the contrary, Introverts intensely value the few friends they have. They can count their close friends on one hand. If you are lucky enough for an introvert to consider you a friend, you probably have a loyal ally for life. Once you have earned their respect as being a person of substance, you’re in.

Myth #5 – Introverts don’t like to go out in public.
Nonsense. Introverts just don’t like to go out in public FOR AS LONG. They also like to avoid the complications that are involved in public activities. They take in data and experiences very quickly, and as a result, don’t need to be there for long to “get it.” They’re ready to go home, recharge, and process it all. In fact, recharging is absolutely crucial for Introverts.

Myth #6 – Introverts always want to be alone.
Introverts are perfectly comfortable with their own thoughts. They think a lot. They daydream. They like to have problems to work on, puzzles to solve. But they can also get incredibly lonely if they don’t have anyone to share their discoveries with. They crave an authentic and sincere connection with ONE PERSON at a time.

Myth #7 – Introverts are weird.
Introverts are often individualists. They don’t follow the crowd. They’d prefer to be valued for their novel ways of living. They think for themselves and because of that, they often challenge the norm. They don’t make most decisions based on what is popular or trendy.

The rest are at the link here.

Are you an introvert or an extrovert?
edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I am an innie! I wonder if there are more innies or outies on ATS?

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

edit on 18-7-2012 by Ladysophiaofsandoz because: Queen of the fat finger double post reigns supreme!

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

I live in my mind. It is a very fine mind.
And I see inwards for a long ways...

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Its right here

But I love to read it again, as I enjoyed reading it the last time

Oh, and I'm a introvert.
edit on 7/18/2012 by ypperst because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

I consider myself rather introverted, so I'll hedge my character traits in here and give my opinion.

Indeed, I do hate small talk. It just feels incredibly uncomfortable to discuss mundane subject matter. I don't watch American Idol or Football, and I have no idea what's popular in music these days. If it's a conversation about something I'm genuinely interested in, I'm all gab, or if someone asks me a question about something I know, I could go on and on.

Myth #2 – Introverts are shy.
To some degree, I am afraid of people, but I doubt that has anything to do with my introverted nature, it's simply a result of events that happened when I was younger.

Myth #3 – Introverts are rude.
I try not to be rude, going out of my way to be as unrude as possible (is unrude a word? Probably not, ah well). Unfortunately, some people might misunderstand my nature (not talking much, not making much eye contact, not liking to be around a large number of people) as being rude, almost austere, but I'm far from it once you get to know me.

I only keep a few friends, yes. But I like all people, and I have a pleasant, friendly nature about myself despite my somewhat reclusive nature.

Myth #5 – Introverts don’t like to go out in public.
Yuck. Extended length public activities. Do I really have to go to the mall? I'm sure I could buy what I need for cheaper somewhere else, or just go online and have myself a mini-Christmas while waiting for my UPS package to arrive.

I'll admit that I do like being alone. I talk to myself sometimes, but not out loud. Is that crazy? I wouldn't think so. I think you would be your best conversation partner. After all, you both like all the same stuff.

I wouldn't say weird. "Unique" maybe, but I wouldn't even really call myself that, as it would imply that I think I'm special. I'm not really. I'm just a goofy Buddhist who works at a restaurant that visits a conspiracy website and likes to eat at Taco Bell.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Are you an introvert or an extrovert?

Both actually...

depending on the situation....

I would say all of those myths are exactly that... not true at all. I've found introverts just dislike the mind numbing stupidity of the general public.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I'm mostly introvert for most of the time, but certain situations can kick in the extrovert gear. For one, I'm particularly adventurous and trailblazing, and not without the occasional impulse.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

What about the Ambiverts..? Why would you leave them out..? Anti-Ambivert I see...

I know for a fact we have many bi-curious members here, so I think it's safe to say there are many Ambiverts here as well...

Go Ambiverts..!

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by facelift

What about the Ambiverts..? Why would you leave them out..? Anti-Ambivert I see...

I know for a fact we have many bi-curious members here, so I think it's safe to say there are many Ambiverts here as well...

Go Ambiverts..!

I would class myself as an Ambivert! I always leave myself out

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
i believe i qualify as an introvert, 100%. most of that list of attributes fits me like a glove.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

I'm an introvert and I don't like to talk, am shy, rude, don't like people or to go out in public, prefer to be alone, and am weird.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
definite introvert .. cant stand the idiotic small talk ... hate being around crowds ...

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

I've never been good at verbal communication because I like to think about what I'm going to say. So, by the time I'm ready to make a comment on a subject, said subject is already done and the people have moved on to other topics.

Try to start a interesting conversation on how a living cell needs protein to create DNA, but needs DNA to create the protein and these people get peeved that I interrupted their baseball chat. Well, EXCUSE ME!

Crowds have a minimum of one loud mouth, rude, ignorant, uneducated, drunk, unfunny, idiot that thinks he/she's the life of the party.

If anyone here thinks introverts are rude, well, screw you.

edit on 7/18/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I am definitely an introvert - don't like small talk, hate
going to crowded places and most of all I don't like
to go out for very long, short little trips suits me fine.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

I've never been good at verbal communication because I like to think about what I'm going to say. So, by the time I'm ready to make a comment on a subject, said subject is already done and the people have moved on to other topics.

Well whataya know, you and I have something in common

From now on, when people ask about me, I may just have to hand them a copy of that article. You know...'cause I really hate small talk.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime

Well whataya know, you and I have something in common

From now on, when people ask about me, I may just have to hand them a copy of that article. You know...'cause I really hate small talk.

Why do you bother. I'm done with you. This is the last time I respond.
edit on 7/18/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Why do you bother.

I wasn't "bother"ing with anything. You happened to post in a thread I was replying to, and you and I had something in common. Sorry for trying to be a little amicable.
Now it'll take me at least 6 months to talk to anyone ever again. I hope you're happy...you've emotionally scarred a fellow introvert (which was the actual point of my post...in response to, you know...the thread).

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Thank you for the interesting thread. I don't often post here, I normally read the posts and move on, but there are times when I get inspired to write something. Such as this thread.

Introverts do like to work things out in their heads. This does not mean they antisocial, mean or rude. They are just processing what is happening around them within their minds so they can contribute in a meaningful way. This is often misunderstood by those who don't understand.

A couple of these I can really identify with:

This is not true. Introverts just don’t talk unless they have something to say. They hate small talk. Get an introvert talking about something they are interested in, and they won’t shut up for days. - This is true for me. I hate small talk and will gladly speak when I have something to contribute.

On the contrary, Introverts intensely value the few friends they have. They can count their close friends on one hand. If you are lucky enough for an introvert to consider you a friend, you probably have a loyal ally for life. Once you have earned their respect as being a person of substance, you’re in. - People have told my husband that I don't like them just because I wasn't talking. Sometimes people can misunderstand you because your quiet. My husband just tells them that's not true she is just listening to what you have to say, which is true. I take in my surroundings and listen. This way I won't look stupid or like I wasn't paying attention.

Introverts are perfectly comfortable with their own thoughts. They think a lot. They daydream. They like to have problems to work on, puzzles to solve. But they can also get incredibly lonely if they don’t have anyone to share their discoveries with. They crave an authentic and sincere connection with ONE PERSON at a time. - I do value my alone time. This gives me time to work things out, but I also value people just not in large crowds.

Introverts are often individualists. They don’t follow the crowd. They’d prefer to be valued for their novel ways of living. They think for themselves and because of that, they often challenge the norm. They don’t make most decisions based on what is popular or trendy. - Well yes I am probably weird, but no more weird than the extrovert that has to have everyone's attention.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I am an introvert that extroverts well.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join