It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Under Obama, More Lucrative For Single Mom To Earn $29K Than $69K ?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
What i do not get is why people are so oblivious to the current state of the union:

By the numbers:

70 million getting Social Security not counting SSI
70 million getting Medicare
50 million on Medicaid
45 million on Welfare
Student loans that account for 1 trillion dollars which have racked up a national debt of 15+ trillion current
Cbo projections put that at over 21 trillion within the next 4 years.

Cost of the War in Afghanistan per day : $300 million.

Constantly whining about poor people receiving benefits while the majority of my tax dollars go happily towards bombing brown people in foreign countries: priceless.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

Pretty clear someone did not even bother to read the links that were provided because the cost of social spending is more than the last decade of war.

Current social security spending plus interest 1.1 trillion dollars.
Current spending on medicare and medicaid 1.2 trillion dollars.

Over 2.3 trillion dollars of the 3.6 trillion current federal spending level that is not country anything else just on those alone.

People not reading not exactly priceless considering the current federal debt is over 15 trillion, and then takes a look at all that spending just for SS,prescription drugs,medicare tally up for over 119 trillion dollars.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

To me this sounds like the system is broken. Not in the disincentivizing way you're portraying it but in the even-the-playing field sort of way.

Only a few people would argue that making $29k is a better deal than making $69k...but those arguments are pretty shoddy when it comes down to quality of life.

We should be eliminating welfare cliffs, not welfare entirely.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
The OP lies, Obama hasn't changed the welfare laws until here recently, so not his fault, nice repub hit piece though. Like one poster posted, 70 mil on SS and medicare, lets euthanize them, then we won't have to worry about it. Hopefully you do realize they have paid into the program for 40 or 45 years, my mother is still working at 72. You can use stats to prove any point you want, sometime you seriously do have to consider the source.

The OP wants to gain Repub points by blaming it all on Obama, what they don't realize is that we have had 50 years to fix this issue, kind of like national energy policy, and no politician has had the gonads to fix it, Romney sure as hell ain't going to fix it, another old, rich, white guy who will draw his SS and medicare when he hits 67, with millions of dollars in offshore accounts, yeah that is who I want to lead the country.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
While the article and scenario in it may be right, it does not factor in one thing.

The satisfaction of pulling your own weight and taking care of your family proudly.

I know those idea's are extinct now and people just want whatever is easiest.

I personally feel good about.......

Taking care of my family through my hard work,

Working for the things I have, which I think makes me appreciate them more,

Not being a burden on the system that is America,

Teaching my kids to pull their own weight instead of milking the system,

I realize that that's not the American way anymore. That's why America is in the poor shape it is in now.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
You guys go ahead and keep whining about Single mothers receiving Government assistance

I bet the Corporations that earn billions and get away without paying any taxes deserve those tax breaks huh?

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Titans of industry! Living embodiments of the gears of the capitalist machine!

The head of JP Morgan lost $4 billion...he was apologized to and fawned over again and again by congress. Remember, if we give 20 people $30,000 in benefits, that's bad. If we give 1 person $3 million, that's good!

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
You guys go ahead and keep whining about Single mothers receiving Government assistance

I bet the Corporations that earn billions and get away without paying any taxes deserve those tax breaks huh?

I don't know about the rest of the posters, but corporations need to be held accountable as well. Get rid of those tax loopholes (like GE who didn't pay a dime, but still sends jobs offshore) and put the bankers under the fire as well.

Yes, billions have been spent overseas in wars, waste of money. But I think everyone and everything should be looked at. Including entitlement programs. There is no freaking way a person who earns nothing should make more then an individual that makes 60k. That is insane.

Originally posted by links234
reply to post by muse7

Titans of industry! Living embodiments of the gears of the capitalist machine!

The head of JP Morgan lost $4 billion...he was apologized to and fawned over again and again by congress. Remember, if we give 20 people $30,000 in benefits, that's bad. If we give 1 person $3 million, that's good!

See, this is where the rhetoric begins and nothing gets done.

Social programs and big business both should be looked at. But people would rather just look at one and not the other. At best it would buy us a little bit of time, but I believe both issues MUST be addressed.
edit on 14-7-2012 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

That's not the conversation that's occurring. We can't tax rich people, we can't tax multi-million dollar corporations. They create jobs! In fact, according to one very large, very wealthy portion of America taxes are too high for these 'poor' mascots of the free market. We have to demonize the poor because they, obviously, create nothing, they are just a drain on society...what with their fixed incomes and unstable employment status.

I don't like hearing about people cheating the welfare system...but I hate when people are forced to cheat the system because of the free-market BS that's blaring from every talk-radio show and government official from sea to shining sea.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Screw all the other stuff, I just wanna know where that $69,000 a year job is...
Alright fine, just tell me where the $29,000 a year job is...
As a parent of two I would also like to know where those benefits are...
I'm not single but both my wife and I go to college full time and live on student loans, no government is offering us those benefits, where do I sign up?
Hell neither my wife or I can even find a job that would pay $19,000 a year and we each have over a 3.0 gpa in our local university. Supposedly when I finish with my degree in electronics engineering I should "expect" an average entry level pay of around $61,000 a year but I'm not getting my hopes up with that either...

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Yes you're right, people would just rather turn a blind eye to the Corporations that are stealing from millions of Americans. The right has made it one of their top priorities to end Government assistance while being lap dogs to the big corporations and continuing to provide them with tax loop holes.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I read the title and had to laugh. Im on my phone at the beach and I didnt see who the OP was, but Im going to take a flying wild guess.

Xuenchen......that you again? Joseph Xuenchen? Did you start this thread?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

Cost of the War in Afghanistan per day : $300 million.

Constantly whining about poor people receiving benefits while the majority of my tax dollars go happily towards bombing brown people in foreign countries: priceless.

star for common sense

wining about solo mothers on benifits,
while paying for $700 toilets sets for military

priceless

xploder

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

from neos avatar...............

neo96
Inevitability The Knowledge that no matter what you do with the rest of your life youll never be as cool as corporate overlord.

complaining about the little people while ignoring the big guy priceless

xploder

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by spinalremain

psml

truth is the largest recipient of wealfare is the banks and energy

but noe would never mention that
no its the solo mums

xploder

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7

Yes you're right, people would just rather turn a blind eye to the Corporations that are stealing from millions of Americans. The right has made it one of their top priorities to end Government assistance while being lap dogs to the big corporations and continuing to provide them with tax loop holes.

I consider myself a conservative, and I don't think it is right for corporations to do what they do, same goes for the bankers.

But that is one part of the issue. Social entitlements have to be addressed as well.

I am suggesting that both issues have merit and should be addressed.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER
reply to post by neo96

from neos avatar...............

neo96
Inevitability The Knowledge that no matter what you do with the rest of your life youll never be as cool as corporate overlord.

complaining about the little people while ignoring the big guy priceless

xploder

Matter of perspective the little guy in the room is those who pay for that 150 million people who are getting paid by the tax revenue of that minority.

Offtopic I really do love it when people try to make an issue of my avatar

Inevitability: the knowledge that no matter what you do with the rest of your life, those who prefer a government check for the rest of their lives are "cooler" than that shrinking minority who pays for that lifestyle.

That picture fits the topic so well and those who defend the welfare industrial complex seems another did not bother to read the links provided.

119 trillion dollars is the big guy in the room.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

simply showing the irony of your avatar and this topic,
its not the solo mums buying $700 dollar toilet seats,
and to ignore big business role in the debt and to blame it on the solo mums

makes your avatar make more sense
")

no hard feeling buddy ?

xploder

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

The symbolism of that picture is lost on those who are too blinded by politicial ideology and who agree that with that people can make more off entitlements than earning their own livings.

The bull is rather obvious as the Government not big business and the monkey are the people who are holding on thinking they can control and take what they want

in the end mess with the bull people have more often than naught gotten the horn as in the unfair taxation that accompanies the means to pay for the welfare state.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join